Georgia Challenge Cup

Local Disc Golf Tournament Info

Moderator: ADGO BOD

Georgia Challenge Cup

Postby tdg » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:42 am

The teams consist of 8 players, 6 guys and 2 gals.
Match play format. 4 - 9 hole matches. 2 matches are singles and 2 are doubles. You will seed your players 1 thru 6. The women will play each other. This is the format that Doug Porter came up with at the first challenge. Round 1 is Best throw doubles with the 1 and 4, 2 and 5, 3 and 6, playing together. Round 2 is singles , 1 vs 1, 2 vs 2,... Lunch break. Round 3 is Alt. throw doubles with 1 and 2, 3 and 4, 5 and 6 and women. The women are included in all the above they play each other. The final round is singles, 1 vs 2, 3 vs 4, 5 vs 6. It may sound a little confusing, but it works out fine.Lenora is challenging Toccoa on July 28. Redan is next on the challenge list. The winning team takes home the cup and keeps it on their home course until another team takes it away. The cup holders always defend on their turf. Players must be people who consider your course their home course or who regularly play and support your course.
We really don't want players jumping from team to team. - John
tdg
DX Plastic

Postby djester » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:47 am

we need to list teams of corses and team members if poss...and can a course have more than one team?
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby tdg » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:02 pm

If you have the players , 2 teams is OK by me. I know we have a few alternates in case someone can't make a date.
tdg
DX Plastic

Postby Lofstrand » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:01 pm

So who is in charge of organizing all this mess? Are there any dates that teams must be established by? People seem interested, but the growing concern seems to be if there are enough interested females to field 2 per team.
PDGA#29514
Lofstrand
Pro Plastic

Team

Postby Randgolf » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:48 pm

We already have a date for Team Lenora to come up to Toccoa on July 28th. Get your teams together.
Randgolf

Postby Bootsie » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:33 pm

how does teams of only guys sound to everyone? At least to get this thing off and rolling.
Bootsie
Pro Plastic

Postby hyzerfool » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:00 pm

No.

Some of the conditions of the challenges might be flexible, but the 2 women per team of 8 is not. If you want to play for the cup then go get some women out to your course to play.
hyzerfool
DX Plastic

Postby Lofstrand » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:10 am

Looking at the current member list that we have for the discussion board, there are only 2 females TOTAL. It would be even harder to find enough females that would commit to a team and be able to show up. You have to assume that if you plan on having back ups for the 6 guys you need some back ups for the 2 ladies. The only lady I see consistently participate in local action is Katy. Katy... wanna join team ERP?
PDGA#29514
Lofstrand
Pro Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:26 am

if you mean kathy t.(aka kat disc golfer)
toccoa already snatched her up for the first challenge, so none of the atl courses she plays at can use her...

we are sol (i might have to get lorelei as 1 of the 2 wills girls)
and we could still kick butt !!!
Father of Future World Champion Lorelei Johnson #13697
keith johnson

Postby hyzerfool » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:32 pm

Don't you guys understand that that's the point? If we only have 2 women really active in disc golf then it means we're doing something terribly wrong. Go find a way to get more women playing!

And Keith, Toccoa's 2 women were Sarah Stanhope and Heidi Moon.
hyzerfool
DX Plastic

Women???

Postby Mike D » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:22 pm

Doug,

If both teams decided all guys was OK I think that is up to them!

From what I understand, both your women players were "no shows"!!

So where do you get off saying the team format has to include women?

In fact, Did you guys have to forfiet those points to team Toccoa or did you let guys play against the women??

Well?????
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby Wookie » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:49 pm

So, not only do you have to find more women to play golf, you have to find women that want to be competitive too. That's a bit much to ask for beginners even for guys. I agree that we need to get more females on the courses but it's a bit tough to get them on the course and wanting to play tournament style golf at the same time.

I have gotten my girlfriend to start playing golf but there is no way she feels up to competion standards yet. Even if ya'll say it doesn't matter how she plays most golfers will still want to feel like they can keep up.

Just my .02
Use the "force" only for good, never for evil

PDGA 24474
ADGO 127
Wookie
Champion Plastic

Postby hyzerfool » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:34 pm

Hey Mike,

Yes, we forfeited the points for the womens matches against Toccoa and then we had guys play against them (if they were going to travel we needed to get them some fun competiton). It actually worked well competitively as I think Sarah might have won both her singles matches and I think all the matches involving women were very close.

As for setting the rules, since we created the cup and donated the trophy I think that it's reasonable to say that we should be able to state the rules for its competition. And as I said, while I like the format we set I'm not wildly concerned about most of it, but the 2 women rule I am. If you don't want to find 2 women then don't play for the cup. I don't see any real downside, all these years you haven't been playing for the cup, it won't hurt you to continue not playing for it. Consider this a competition between courses interested in getting at least 2 women out to play. Feel free to think of it as the "Georgia Women's (and Others) Challenge Cup" if you wish.

As for the competitive aspect, the goal here is to have it not feel as tournament-y since there's no cost to play and no cash reward for winning, just the pride in holding ownership of the trophy and being, theoretically, the best team for a while. I do realize that fewer women seem interested in competition, but I don't think we're setting the bar wildly high asking for 2...

cheers,

doug
hyzerfool
DX Plastic

Postby Lofstrand » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:06 pm

Seeing as that I work at Atlanta's largest and oldest trophy company I could probably whip out a 6 foot tall trophy by tomorrow and name it the "Super Georgia Challenge Cup". It can be park teams of 6-8 people all male, or both, if there are enough women interested. Same rules, just a cooler name, larger trophy, and standards that all areas around Atlanta can live with.

Seeing as this is the first year, why not play by rules that everyone can cope with. Females are optional if available. Hey... I would love to have 2+ pro level female players that frequent ERP, but reality is reality.

I'm not trying to be an ass, I just want to play.
PDGA#29514
Lofstrand
Pro Plastic

Women!!

Postby Mike D » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:59 pm

[quote="hyzerfool"]
As for setting the rules, since we created the cup and donated the trophy I think that it's reasonable to say that we should be able to state the rules for its competition. And as I said, while I like the format we set I'm not wildly concerned about most of it, but the 2 women rule I am. If you don't want to find 2 women then don't play for the cup. I don't see any real downside, all these years you haven't been playing for the cup, it won't hurt you to continue not playing for it. Consider this a competition between courses interested in getting at least 2 women out to play. Feel free to think of it as the "Georgia Women's (and Others) Challenge Cup" if you wish.

THATS WHAT I AM TRYING TO POINT OUT!!

You created these rules, Yet you DID NOT play by them since you did not have ANY women on your team!!

Later,

Mike D
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby hyzerfool » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:23 pm

Hey Mike,

That's right, and effectively we were doomed to lose because of it (we would have had to win by more than the womens points were worth). When we challenge to take it back from whoever holds it we will certainly have 2 women on our team. When the challenge was made we did have 2 women. One backed out, we found another, then she backed out and then our original backed out. It meant we wouldn't win but it didn't mean we couldn't play it out as it was already scheduled and have a great time...

Relax, guys, we put out a silly little trophy and made some rules for how you can win it. Feel free to put out your own... I would have absolutely no problem with somebody forming the "Super Duper No Girls Allowed Challenge Cup" and I really don't understand why anyone has an issue with the 2 women rule. I think it would be great to have multiple silly little trophies being played for as it would mean lots of fun, informal competition. Would turn into boxing with competing federations and maybe one day some team would unite them all by holding them all at the same time...

That said, there's no way your trophy would be cooler... our trophy rocks :-)

cheers,

doug
hyzerfool
DX Plastic

Postby Lofstrand » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:54 pm

Ok, so I guess if ERP forms a team and there are no female players (not from lack of effort, but from lack of female players), I guess we will just challenge other course teams that also have no female players.

Is this like a bag tag challenge in the sense that if you are challenged, in addition to having a home course advantage, you can choose which pads to play from? If that is the case then if you are challenged can you say, "sure we accept your challenge, but if your ladies show up to play we cannot be deducted points because we have no ladies to compete against them."

Trust me... I understand this is just a fun little game and not to be taken seriously, and I was joking when I implied starting another SUPER CUP. I just want it to be fair, and if a team loses I would want it to be from not shooting as well, rather then not having female players.

And don't say "If you don't like the rules then don't play our games" because I thought the whole point was to bring the Atlanta disc golf community closer through sport. The more people that can be involved the better.
PDGA#29514
Lofstrand
Pro Plastic

Postby Mr-Disc » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:03 pm

Bring it on, Battle of the woods.
Got game prove it. we have our team.
and you all know we are the "T_P G_NS" Fill in the blanks.
I use to Give a dam, but now I don't give a sh!t.
Mr-Disc
Pro Plastic

Postby tdg » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:55 pm

This cup challenge was set up as a fun first competitive event.I for one would like to keep that as much as possible. We went to Athens and had a great time with them as a group. We had a cookout and some fun golf. As far as women players go, I really would like to see it kept in. Kathy T.is not a part of Team Toccoa and did not play with us in Athens. There are women golfers out there, Kat, Savannah, Jo, Lynn, Kathy D., Cheryl, Angel, Melanie H., Chris O'' Stephanie, these are a few of the ones that I know. I'm sure you Atlanta boys know of far more than I do. The thing would be to get them to play. I'm sure that a lot of them would like to compete in this format. Just my 2 cents worth. As far as detailed rules standards , Woody, Doug and I are trying to get something set in stone with a site that you can view. Right now Lenora has challenged Toccoa on July 28 and Redan gets the winner. This Cup challenge is in it's infancy stages, hopefully soon we can have some concrete parameters for it, until then it's a first come first serve challenge basis. 2 women, 6 guys, come on out and have some fun. See you all soon - John
tdg
DX Plastic

cups

Postby $Dollar$ » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:14 pm

ERP + no women = The GA Gay Cup

Redan + all senior citizens= The GA Masters Cup

btw, dont give doug a hard time, i heard he had the two women but they got lost in the new wooded holes at sandy creek
BAAAAKAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
$Dollar$
Champion Plastic

Re: cups

Postby Carl Wms » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:36 pm

$Dollar$ wrote:
Redan + all senior citizens= The GA Masters Cup

We prefer age challenged.
CrustyCarl
Carl Wms
Champion Plastic

Re: cups

Postby Redan Randy » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:42 pm

$Dollar$ wrote:Redan + all senior citizens= The GA Masters Cup
Hey!! I resemble that remark!! Watch out for us old guys, we are crafty and have the best pain medications!! At Redan, the men are old, but the women are young!! :P
Redan IS God's Country!!
Redan Randy
Star Plastic

s

Postby $Dollar$ » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:59 pm

Randy- You da man!!!
BAAAAKAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
$Dollar$
Champion Plastic

Postby kat.disc.golf.her » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:02 pm

I am editing my post because I got really pissed again. It doesn't seem fair to alienate the women that do play because you want an all men's team. Maybe it is me but I have noticed lately how a handful of disc golfers get annoyed when they get a novice player or a woman golfer during doubles. They basically give up and act like they will never win with that person. Way to show the ladies and new golfers how much fun the sport is and why they should keep playing and practicing to get better! Like I have said before, I have donated more money to other teams winning over the last year and it isn't fair for me or anyone else to deal with additude on the course from others that end up taking my money more often than not. If you need to win so bad for the money than save your dang money and use it for what you need instead of gambling on drawing a good partner at doubles. That way the people that are out there for fun and to practice more and learn from others that are better can do it in peace without someone all emtional about there stupid $13. :evil:
Last edited by kat.disc.golf.her on Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
MEOW!!
kat.disc.golf.her
DX Plastic

Postby grease » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:10 pm

RRRRRRRaiwwwwr!!!!! Ffffffffffft! Fffffffffffffft!
Fart, it's never not funny!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby keith johnson » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:23 pm

sorry guys.....i was told kat played for toccoa....therefore i never even asked HER (i'm a bonehead)...so now that kat is available i would like to make a plea for her to be on team wills....

thanks in advance

keith

hopeful (my hope) team wills competitors in no particular order
tim
q
ryan
pierce
kyle
ben
brett
blake
pruett
myself(if needed)
kat
other woman to be named later
keith johnson

Postby Woodrow » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:13 am

You snooze, you lose!!
Woodrow

Postby Lofstrand » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:21 am

I never said that I didn't want women to play. I am not sure if you are speaking in regards to doubles action or to this Georgia Cup. My only beef is that there aren't enough active and enthusiastic female players to provide 2+ per course team. I wish you would play for team ERP. You always come to doubles here.
PDGA#29514
Lofstrand
Pro Plastic

Postby chappy » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:02 am

At least you guys all have enough players to make a team. out here it would be impossible to get enough players of any gender.
chappy
DX Plastic

Postby kat.disc.golf.her » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:37 am

If someone changes the rules for the cup challenge to allow all men teams than for the teams that have women, we should get a handicap. I can not competitively compete against a pro man golfer if I am playing from the same tees. That is why most golfers at doubles like having me as a partner, I am normally consistant and can level out the playing field by throwing from a different tee pad.
MEOW!!
kat.disc.golf.her
DX Plastic

Women Players

Postby Mike D » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:45 am

I could probably talk my wife out of retirement for the Georgia Cup!!

Where should the bidding start??

Do I hear 2 CE discs and a star disc to be named later????

Anyone???

Later,

Mike D
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby noputtinsavage » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:31 pm

Kat,

You need to play for Central park!
I've been throwing these plastic things for way to long!
noputtinsavage
DX Plastic

Postby Woodrow » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:39 am

Kat has already committed to the old fogeys at Redan, so you guys just get out there and scrape some up somewhere else.

BTW - Doug, John and I are working up a set of guidelines for teams, etc. and should have it out sometime this week. The 'play' will definitely stay the same as the way they played at Toccoa, so I suggest everyone start introducing some women to the game and catch up.
Woodrow

Postby Redan Randy » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:19 am

No offense, would love to have Kat as a Redanette, but isn't she a northsider that plays Central? She is a Dragon, not a Squirrell!! Invalid ringer chick!! Haha!!
Redan IS God's Country!!
Redan Randy
Star Plastic

Postby Bootsie » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:34 pm

keith you left out a few: myself, wes, forrest

also maybe there should be some consideration of mending the rules a little to use women if their available, as well as, playing with all men.
Bootsie
Pro Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:56 am

there is only 6 to the team, forrest wants to be on lenora, and wes would probably want central, sorry i left you off, i'm sure i left others off too, but we have to find 2 women or it doesn't matter anyways...we have until the end of august at least to field a team as lenora has the next challenge after redan....

keith
keith johnson

OUCH!!

Postby Woodrow » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:18 pm

Rumor has it.....
Toccoa gave Lenora zero(0) match points.
....and a flat tire.
Woodrow

Postby tdg » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:42 am

Team Toccoa keeps the Cup and awaits Redan. Lenora did not win a match in singles or doubles play in the first 2 rounds. They did tie us in a few matches. The score was 14-2 and with the women's forfeiture for rounds 3-4 it was not possible for them to catch us, so rounds 3-4 were conceded and we played a random draw doubles for cash. Thanks to the members of Lenora for coming out and playing some golf with us. The
part about the flat tire.... yeah, poor Jessie. Hope you're up and running.
See you all soon- John
tdg
DX Plastic

Return to Disc Golf Tournaments