In ATL for 1 Day to Play - Advanced Course?

Questions & Answers

Moderator: ADGO BOD

In ATL for 1 Day to Play - Advanced Course?

Postby timgaynor1 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:00 pm

Hello Atlanta!

I'm in town for business and I have Friday open to play the best Atlanta has to offer. I'm from Portland, OR (Home of the 2014 World's Tournament). We have some of the best courses in the world, so point me to a course that will give me some stories to take home.

I'd appreciate recommendations from the locals!
timgaynor1
Barney

Re: In ATL for 1 Day to Play - Advanced Course?

Postby mullethead326 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:03 pm

It kind of depends on where you are in Atlanta, since everything tends to be kind of spread out.

The north side of town has several solid courses (East Roswell, Oregon, Alexander, probably in that order) with different flavors. East Roswell is tight woods with rolling terrain--but navigation is a little difficult right now since the city is doing construction in a corner of the park (might only be 15-16 holes playable, hopefully someone else will chime in). Oregon is fairly open; its major draw is having two sets of pads and baskets, in effect making 72 holes. Alexander is more of a beginner/intermediate course near Lawrenceville. Nice place to play, but nothing really special.

If you're willing to drive a little further, North GA Canopy Tours in Lula is one of the best courses in the state. Par 61 with some big open bombs, some tight woods, and some ace runs. It's $5 for the day, but well worth it. For now, it's the best playable course within an hour of Atlanta.

If you're inside the perimeter and have less time, try Perkerson Park--it's a par 59 with 2 sets of teepads and a good mixture of open and wooded holes. Bring a map. This is my favorite place to play in the area.

If you want to bomb and are on the south side of town, JP Moseley is a par 61 with about 6 tight woods holes and the rest very open.

If you really wanted stories and a disc golf experience, it's about 2-2.5 hours to the International Disc Golf Center near Augusta. 3 championship courses and the PDGA headquarters on site.
Last edited by mullethead326 on Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
mullethead326
DX Plastic

Postby timgaynor1 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:31 pm

North GA Canopy tours it is! I really appreciate the thorough run-down of the local scene, and I hope your good deed is rewarded with an Ace in the near future.

One final question: I'll have a suitcase/laptop etc. Should I feel safe leaving it in the trunk of the rental or keep it stashed at the hotel?
timgaynor1
Barney

Postby craigd » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:25 pm

You are 100% safe at canopy course! Probably the safest course in Atlanta in that regard!
Craig Dickerson
PDGA# 38061
ADGO# 258
craigd
Pro Plastic

Return to Q & A