Holes 10 & 11/road project

Fulton County - Roswell, Ga

Moderators: kurt, Imran, ADGO BOD

Holes 10 & 11/road project

Postby 12StonesScott » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:57 pm

Many of you have noticed and asked about the flags on trees in the fairways of holes 10 & 11. As I've told those of you I've spoken to personally, these were placed to indicate the possible right-of-way of a one-way exit road from the parking lot by the tennis courts out to Eves Road, as part of the City of Roswell's Eves Road Complete Street project. At the time this first came up, this road was merely a proposed part of the overall plan developed by Pond Company as part of their conceptual design, and was not then funded or approved.

Since then, the voters of Roswell approved a bond referendum that includes funding for the Eves Road project. The city transportation department expects construction on the project, which includes widening the road to add bike lanes, turn lanes at key intersections, and a variety of other streetscape improvements, to begin "in the spring". The information available from the city's web site on the project is unclear about whether the exit road is still part of it. The roundabout at Eves Circle that the road would connect to has been eliminated as too expensive -- the city's transportation director has confirmed that in e-mails to me. However, the responses from both him and from the staff member he delegated my questions to have been ambiguous about whether the exit road is still in the plans, which leads me to suspect that it is. All they have said is that the project "does include a connection from Eves Circle to the park" without saying whether that means a road, or improved paths/trails and changes to the parking area on Eves, or what.

General information about the project is available here: http://www.roswellgov.com/index.aspx?NID=1318

Most current project map I can find, which does not show the roundabout or a road out of the park: http://www.roswellgov.com/DocumentCenter/Home/View/2305

There is a "public information" meeting scheduled concerning the project on Thursday, January 24th, from 5:30 to 7:30 pm at the East Roswell Recreation Center. While I encourage everyone who is interested to attend, I have to admit that I'm skeptical about the degree to which the city will be soliciting input or opinions about the project at this meeting. Based on recent experience in our neighborhood on a different issue, "public information" meetings are generally a chance to obtain information, ask questions, etc., but not necessarily to provide input.

We're all (the RDGC, the RRPD, etc.) well aware that loss of two holes on the back 9 would be incredibly difficult to recover from, and we will be doing everything possible to obtain more information and to exert whatever influence we can on the process. Honesty compels me to say, however, that if the city has made up its mind and has the design work well along, it may be very difficult to stop at this point. What will not help, and may hurt, is for everyone to start inundating the parks staff, the transportation department, etc., with demands to change their plans. I've just been through this with our neighborhood related to the proposed 400 ft radio tower near the new arts center -- accusing city staff or elected officials of malice, corruption, etc., or publicly calling them out on this isn't going to get us the results we want, and will likely only cause them to be prejudiced against the disc golf community (as things stand, they're only indifferent, not hostile). I do encourage everyone to respectfully ask questions if you want, and to attend the public information meeting if possible, and allow the RDGC board to try to work within the process to bring about the best possible outcome. Once we know where things really stand, we can determine what the next appropriate steps should be.
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Re: Holes 10 & 11/road project

Postby 12StonesScott » Fri May 02, 2014 9:33 am

Latest on road plans for the Eves Road Complete Street project: it's looking very much like the outcome will be that the road will be built, routed from the parking lot between the tennis courts and the maintenance shed, along the west side of the tennis courts, turning 90 degrees and continuing up to the Eves Road parking lot. That will mean at least one, and possibly all three, of the tee pads for Hole 11 will need to be relocated. But the good news is that any plan to run the road through the fairways for 10, 11, 17, and 18 appears to be dead and buried. We'll be meeting with parks team on Friday to walk the area with the current plans in hand and assess what the options for adapting are. Thanks for everyone's involvement and support on getting to a minimally invasive result.
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Re: Holes 10 & 11/road project

Postby Carl Wms » Fri May 02, 2014 8:04 pm

Glad to see this course didn't become a 9 holer!
Carl Wms
Champion Plastic

Return to East Roswell Park