3rd Annual Dogfest at Wills Park PDGA C-Tier - JUNE 1st

Local Disc Golf Tournament Info

Moderator: ADGO BOD

3rd Annual Dogfest at Wills Park PDGA C-Tier - JUNE 1st

Postby joyaman » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:05 am

Dogfest Registration (WAIT LIST) link:
https://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/3rd_Annual_Dogfest_at_Wills_Park_2013/register

Current Registration:
http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/101305/1252728116

Now Selling T-Shirt sponsorships for $20. Dogfest 2013 minis will be in everyone's player pack, with extras available as $5 mini-sponsorships. $25 Hole sponsorships also include a Dogfest T-Shirt in addition to a laminated hole sign.

Shout out to Dave and Julia of Disc Stalker, who are stepping up in a big way to be one of our major sponsors this year, in addition to producing the awesome tourney T-Shirts and minis again. Many thanks!
Last edited by joyaman on Fri May 31, 2013 1:05 am, edited 7 times in total.
joyaman
DX Plastic

Re: 3rd Annual Dogfest at Wills Park PDGA C-Tier - April 27

Postby ryanwatson » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:15 am

if u get me sponcership paper work i will help with all that
ryanwatson
DX Plastic

Re: 3rd Annual Dogfest at Wills Park PDGA C-Tier

Postby joyaman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:17 pm

Pending date change to JUNE 1, 2013

Now awaiting approval of new date by State Coordinator (Keith). Official change will be posted here once the new date is approved. -ChrisF
Last edited by joyaman on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
joyaman
DX Plastic

Re: 3rd Annual Dogfest at Wills Park PDGA C-Tier - April 27

Postby keith johnson » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:53 pm

Approved and changed in Sanctioned thread.
Father of Future World Champion Lorelei Johnson #13697
keith johnson

Re: 3rd Annual Dogfest at Wills Park PDGA C-Tier - JUNE 1st

Postby joyaman » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:05 am

Date Changed to JUNE 1, 2013

Rescheduled due to conflict at Wills on 27-APR -ChrisF
joyaman
DX Plastic

Postby joyaman » Thu May 09, 2013 1:02 pm

Please check out the Dogfest Facebook Page for the latest tournament developments and chatter -and please "like" it to help spread the word

http://www.facebook.com/dogfestatwills

Will also update the first post here with any changes or significant updates

Thanks -ChrisF
joyaman
DX Plastic

Postby joyaman » Fri May 17, 2013 9:25 pm

Pictures of the 2013 Dogfest Mini artwork and example photos of the Dogfest 2013 T-Shirts are now posted online at the tournament facebook page http://www.facebook.com/dogfestatwills. All players will get a 2013 mini in their player pack, but extras of both the 2012 and 2013 minis are also available for $5 Mini Sponsorships. The T-Shirts will go to both T-Shirt sponsors ($20) and Hole sponsors ($25 - includes laminated hole sign also).
Last edited by joyaman on Tue May 28, 2013 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joyaman
DX Plastic

Postby 12StonesScott » Tue May 28, 2013 11:12 am

Chris,

I'm registered, along with Ari, and bought one hole sponsorship, one t-shirt sponsorship, and two mini sponsorships -- just so's you know I'm behind you and supporting your efforts.

That said, (and please take this in the spirit of constructive criticism) I also gotta say I really wish you'd decided to just play the course that's in the ground rather than make extensive changes to the layout for one tournament. I very nearly didn't sign up myself largely because of that. I've really grown to hate tournament-day course changes in general, so this is not any judgment on the specifics of the changes you're making at Wills. I just feel that, absent some particular safety concern that's more pronounced during a tournament than on a regular day, the course is either good enough for the tournament you're having or it's not, and if it's not, then perhaps it should be somewhere else. I felt the same way about the bunkers and most of the artificial OB at Alexander for the Frog Pond Fling, the temp tees and such at McCurry for the GSSS tournament there last year, and so on.

In terms of specifics, I really really hate lengthening 17 that way. Not because it's longer, but because the temp tee area inevitably gets completely chewed up by mid-day and because it makes you throw across a paved walking path (something the redesign of the course eliminated). OTOH, thank you for restoring sanity on #9.

I was on the verge of just taking pictures at this one and letting Ari play it when I realized an old work colleague who lives out of town and that I haven't seen in 20 years is playing in Advanced Masters, so I decided to sign up there just on the off chance we get to play at least one round in the same group.

So anyway, that's my say on the subject. I reserve the right to grumble under my breath some on Saturday, but I did decide to go ahead and play knowing what the layout would be, so it's on me to deal with it. But I do hope you'll consider fewer changes to the course in future tournaments -- I know I'm not the only one that feels this way.
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Postby joyaman » Tue May 28, 2013 1:38 pm

Dogfest 2013 is now FULL!

Registration site is now taking wait list entries for any spots that may open up between now and Friday night.

https://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/3rd_Annual_Dogfest_at_Wills_Park_2013/register
joyaman
DX Plastic

Postby 12StonesScott » Tue May 28, 2013 4:58 pm

12StonesScott wrote:In terms of specifics, I really really hate lengthening 17 that way. Not because it's longer, but because the temp tee area inevitably gets completely chewed up by mid-day and because it makes you throw across a paved walking path (something the redesign of the course eliminated).

From a private conversation with Chris, it seems I'm misremembering the location of the longer tee on 17, and that my concern about the path is therefore invalid -- consider that comment withdrawn.

Should also say that I know Chris has specific reasons and objectives for this event that led to many of the decisions about course layout, and that even if I don't agree with all of them, I respect the thought and effort that went into them; as a sometime TD myself, I know what a challenging task it can be and that there's no way to please everyone every time. Looking forward to having fun on Saturday.
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Postby joyaman » Wed May 29, 2013 1:13 am

Please check out the Dogfest Facebook Page for the latest tournament developments and chatter -and please "like" it to help spread the word

http://www.facebook.com/dogfestatwills

Will also update the first post here with any changes or significant updates

Thanks -ChrisF
joyaman
DX Plastic

Postby ryanwatson » Wed May 29, 2013 10:53 am

3rd Annual Dogfest at Wills Park LAYOUT IS A GO FOR WILLS PARK RANDOM DRAW DOU8LES TONIGHT $15 ALL-IN SIGN UP STARTS AT 5:45
ryanwatson
DX Plastic

Postby joyaman » Fri May 31, 2013 1:03 am

DOGFEST 2013 IS ALMOST HERE...

As always, we have a challenging Wills layout that will include the new (deep) B pin on #15, which will be the "Money Ball' CTP with a $3 buy-in. Five other $1 cash CTPs will once again be offered as a five-pack for $5.

Here are a few of the other 2013 highlights:

#2 pin will be in the (long) B position - once again with left creek and beyond OB and a mid-fairway Rec through Novice tee on the right

Open through Intermediate will throw from the "Super 4" tee on #6. The park folks agreed again to not to rent out the RV hookups in front of the #6 tee, so the hole will play as normal, with the parking lot as the only OB. Rec through Junior will throw from the concrete pad.

#7 will play super-long from the path behind #4's basket for all divisions except REC and Novice, who will tee from a grass tee on the left side of the fairway. To accommodate this 440' monster hole and to take the playground out of play, #4 will not be played in this year's tournament. Players will complete #3, cross the bridge, then follow a marked line to the #5 tee

#9 pin will be in the (right) B position - with the main creek as the only OB and all divisions teeing from the concrete pad

#12 pin will be in the new (short) A position to bring the left alley into play

#13 pin will be in the (long) B position, where there's now a new (very skinny) left alley that exposes the pin if you can throw a Roc/Buzz/Wasp/Aviar on a rope.

#13.5 This will be a temporary hole that plays down the corridor between #13 and #14. It's a blind dog-leg left that throws around 220'.

#17 will feature the long "Dogfest" tee for Open through Intermediate, while Rec through Novice tee from the concrete pad near Pavilion 1. Mando tree on right side for all divisions.

Once again the winners from Open, Masters, Advanced and the next-best score from all divisions will play two Top Dog Safari holes following round #2 for a $25 gift certificate from Chadwick's Tap Room.

There will also be a throw-off for a stash of donated discs and other sweet disc golf items following round #2 for $2/throw or three throws for $5.

TMT will also be offering several cash CTPs on holes that are not part of the CTP 5-Pack or the #15 "Money Ball" CTP.

And oh yeah, somebody mentioned something about a Texas Hold'em tournament and H-O-R-S-E putting contest following the action at Wills, but you'll have to ask around for the details.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Dogfest 2013 is full - there will be no day-of registrations

There are currently five players on the wait list for any spots that may open up between now and Saturday's first round:

Nick Phillips
Al Fetta
Joseph Sutton
Richie Carrozza
Mason Shawver
joyaman
DX Plastic

Postby joyaman » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:10 pm

Thanks to everyone who helped to make DOGFEST 2013 a successful event, especially Ryan Watson - ace sponsorship salesman and runner of pre-tourney action to get everyone used to the layout, Imran Khan, who just missed getting in off the wait list, but stuck around to be my right-hand man on the course to keep things moving as best as possible, Brett Porter, who once again helped to work the board and the payout 'til everything was right, Cody Britain, who was the glue between the tournament and our platinum merchandise sponsor, Disk Stalker, and last, but not least, my wife Jenny Foley, who had to put up with me while I fretted over the small stuff until all the pieces were in place, while also performing many key roles at the tourney itself. Something tells me that a shout-out on the ADGO board is not quite enough to compensate Jenny for her troubles, so I'll be working on the rest of her "payout" for quite a while to come.

Dogfest 2013 scorecards now posted at:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/145338246/Dogfest-2013-Scorecards#page=1

The round scores with the preliminary player ratings went up on the PDGA site on Saturday, but we've subsequently populated a few missing PDGA numbers, leaving only 14 players who were not current as of Saturday.

http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/101305/1307444445

Final TD report goes out tonight, well in advance of the 11-June deadline for the next ratings update. Thanks again to everyone who played, supported, and promoted Dogfest this year. -ChrisF
joyaman
DX Plastic

Return to Disc Golf Tournaments