Concrete Questions

Questions & Answers

Moderator: ADGO BOD

Concrete Questions

Postby D-Wiz » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:32 am

Although this site isn't seeing much action these days, I know there are lurkers and big whigs still around, so I'm seeking someone with a good knowledge/experience with concrete pads.

My main questions are:

How many cubic yards of concrete does a pad take?
What is the standard size these days? (length, width, depth)

I realize the size decided determines the cubic yards. I'm also aware that you can host concrete fundraisers, get leftovers from trucks if you already have forms ready, build almost level to the ground, but I'm more concerned about estimating the costs of pads and that comes down to size and amount of concrete. Any words of wisdom are appreciated.... Feel free to respond here, pm, or call me.

Thanks,
Matthew
promoting D-GOLF since 2007
D-Wiz
Pro Plastic

Re: Concrete Questions

Postby ryanwatson » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:23 pm

Jason 8radshaw would know
ryanwatson
DX Plastic

Postby mrpbody33 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:15 pm

Well I know when we priced stuff out at Perkerson we initially allocated $20K for concrete teepads with a couple retaining walls.
Barry "Mr. P'body" Arnson
PDGA# 28128
ADGO# 133
http://discgolfatlanta.com/
mrpbody33

Postby keith johnson » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:47 pm

First I would see if there are any concrete companies that would willing to donate or sell at reduced cost in trade for sponsorship rights on main board and Hole 1 and story in local newspaper - that's what I did in Miami.

You could also hold collections / fundraisers at the course during weekly Events and see if some of the more "well to do" would like to SPONSOR a pad in trade for 1-3 years (depending on amount) logo / text on tee sign - that's what I did in Tucson.

You could see if there is a Boy Scout / city /club you could work with along with donations to get them all done - that's what happened at Wills.

You could get a private course to have their employees do the work and pay for everything - so they are finished in 2 days (mostly where wanted).

You now have 17 years of my concrete tee pad experience to help you out with some ideas - hopefully it goes well for you and you can count the Future World Champion in for a tee pad if and when you get the approval.

Keith
Father of Future World Champion Lorelei Johnson #13697
keith johnson

Postby jritger » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:56 pm

The price for the Perkerson pads takes into account most of the pads not being on level surface and bad access (can't drive a truck to it), so it's much higher than you could get elsewhere. Also about 12 retaining walls, some several feet high and requiring a stone mason. So, very inflated, even more so in the actual cost since we can't use modern technology to install them because of tree impacts. Or you could use recycled tire rubber, which is exorbitantly expensive.

Bradshaw and crew got the Cobb and Roswell ones done for closer to $100/pad all in, but that was using lots of volunteer labor and other discounts.

We sized the pads at Frog Rock and Perkerson to be 12' long x 6' (rear) x 4' (front), which is what I'm currently recommending for size. For Perkerson they were using 4" of concrete I believe and the pads are 60 square feet.
jritger

Postby D-Wiz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:11 pm

Thanks for the information everyone. That is all very helpful. However, I'm a little confused. I keep hearing recommendations for 12 ft. teepads as the "new" standard. I just measured out 12 ft. in my office, and I don't think I've ever played a course that has 12 ft. teepads??? I've played a number of courses, and I just don't see that. Maybe I missed it as I wasn't focusing on teepad length at the time of my run ups, but 12 feet seems extremely long. Am I crazy or have I just been overlooking and underestimating the lengths of tee pads (IDGC, Augusta, ect...)

I haven't played Oregon Park and it's been a while since East Roswell. What courses in Georgia have 12 foot teepads? I'm not trying to skimp on a potential job or save pennies for the county, but does anyone else think 12 foot teepads seem a bit excessive/longer than normal?

Allen Iverson - practice? Are we talking about practice?
D-Wiz - 12 feet? Are you sure about 12 feet?
D-Wiz
Pro Plastic

Postby htorbit » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:55 pm

Yes, 12 feet!!!!
Mashburn, remember most have longer legs than you and therefore a longer stride. :shock:
htorbit
DX Plastic

Postby mrpbody33 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:47 pm

12 feet is the new pink. 8)
Barry "Mr. P'body" Arnson
PDGA# 28128
ADGO# 133
http://discgolfatlanta.com/
mrpbody33

Postby jritger » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:16 pm

go 15!
jritger

Postby keith johnson » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:30 pm

D-Wiz wrote:Thanks for the information everyone. That is all very helpful. However, I'm a little confused. I keep hearing recommendations for 12 ft. teepads as the "new" standard. I just measured out 12 ft. in my office, and I don't think I've ever played a course that has 12 ft. teepads??? I've played a number of courses, and I just don't see that. Maybe I missed it as I wasn't focusing on teepad length at the time of my run ups, but 12 feet seems extremely long. Am I crazy or have I just been overlooking and underestimating the lengths of tee pads (IDGC, Augusta, ect...)

I haven't played Oregon Park and it's been a while since East Roswell. What courses in Georgia have 12 foot teepads? I'm not trying to skimp on a potential job or save pennies for the county, but does anyone else think 12 foot teepads seem a bit excessive/longer than normal?

Allen Iverson - practice? Are we talking about practice?
D-Wiz - 12 feet? Are you sure about 12 feet?

Most of NGCT pads are 12 feet including 3 of the 4 deck pads...
If the ground is level all around the teeing area 10 feet is fine (even 8 feet on shorter holes).......most of the current pads at Meeks are at least 8-10 in gravel area, plus almost all of them have flat ground behind the pad essentially making them longer.

I'd say 5X10 at Meeks would be fine....don't freak out over Ritger's golden palace of Disc Golf pad prices. :mrgreen:
You could do a set of 36 at Meeks for less than 5 grand if club provides labor even at full concrete pricing.....36 pads at $125 per pad is only $4500 bucks....the county will save more than that in maintenance and replacing gravel fees in 5 years time.

Keith
Father of Future World Champion Lorelei Johnson #13697
keith johnson

Postby htorbit » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:54 am

Are too long of teepads a problem...but too short of tee pads sure are! 12 feet!!!!!!!!!!Plus you only need 18 teepads(long tees) so by Keith's cost estimate that would cost $2,250.
Oh how nice it would be to hear "I really like Meeks Disc Golf Course" without the "but gosh I hate the tee pads"
htorbit
DX Plastic

Postby D-Wiz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:47 am

I'm with you Hugh! If I had $100 for everytime I heard about our t-pads, we would already have them. Luckily, a couple of novice guys that are locals are (1) in the concrete business and (2) involved with the boy scouts.

Our Commissioner just wants size specs for determining his own pricing with his connections, so the prices quoted above don't really matter or scare me. I do like the trapezoid shape and want to do them right if we get the chance.

To review, it sounds as though a 12 x 6 back, 12x4 front for a total of 60 square feet per pad at 4" deep is what should be pursued (with rebar/mesh, 4 inches of stone). That should equal around 3/4 yard per pad x 18 = about 14 yards of concrete for 18 long pads. This is the most important aspect of the initial proposal, so please chime in if my math is off.

Although I like continuity, as Keith mentioned, the short pads could be a bit smaller if we get to that point...

Thanks again for the information and let me know if 14 yards is an accurate estimate. And to all those in the d-golf world that love and support Meeks, keep your fingers crossed for concrete and expansion...
D-Wiz
Pro Plastic

Postby htorbit » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:54 am

Like Keith, I will also commit to sponsoring a teepad if approval is granted.
htorbit
DX Plastic

Postby dandaman » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:44 pm

All of jpm's teepads are 6X12. Of course it helps when the size of the bucket on the bob cat is 6 feet wide and the park's department says that it is easier to build one size of pad for framing purposes! There are numerous concrete calculators available for free on the net. $2000-2500 sounds about right, not including labor.
Johnson! Keep an eye on that Kherplakistan situation...
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby JonathanFreeman » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:58 am

Heys Im new to atlanta, A bunch of my friends want to try disc golf. I need an easy course to play on. suggestions?
JonathanFreeman
Barney

Return to Q & A