Questions & Answers

Douglas County - Douglasville, Ga

Moderators: DD, grease, ADGO BOD

Questions & Answers

Postby p_patin » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:18 am

Hey everyone. I created this thread specifically for new players who play at Deer Lick and have questions either about the course or about Disc Golf in general.

This leads me to my questions:

* What does "turn-over" mean? Which way is it turning over? I hear it a lot when you guys are talking about how a disc flies, specifically older discs that tend to "turn-over" easier.
* Why is hole #7 a par 3? You can only par it with 3 perfect shots. Calling hole 7 a par 3 is like calling hole #12 or #17 a par 1. I play Deer Lick several times per week and that hole is the only one I have never made par or bird. I vote we change the par on that hole. Who's with me? Beuller?
* A friend and I were playing a week or so ago and we saw these 2 people riding dirt bikes along the fairways of holes #5 through #9. We called the police and they said that those holes were not on park property and that the park service cannot do anything about it. If that's true, then driving a truck to cement out the Tee Pads for those holes should not be an issue. Right?

Thanks everyone for listening and for those that maintain the course, I appreciate all of your hard work! See you all at the next dubs!
"I have this one scenario in my mind. I kinda hope it plays out like this: young, sexy, Asian housewife, alone at night, frightened. A noise out by the trash cans. Best call the neighbourhood watch. I show up, look heroic, and then..."
p_patin
Barney

Re: Questions & Answers

Postby grease » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:10 am

1.Turnover is when a disc flies in the opposite direction than it is supposed to normally fly. Say when you throw a disc and it normally flies straight, then fades to the left. Then you throw a disc,, it flies straight, pulls to the right, then fades to the left, that's a turnover. You can do this with less stable discs such as a Sidewinder or Leopard.

2. Hole 7 is a par 4.

3. That property is part of the park. We wouldn't be able to put a basket in it if it weren't.
Fart, it's never not funny!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby Pulverizer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:41 am

As I understand it, a disc that you intend/expect to hyzer, anhyzers instead. Or vicy versy. It has turned over.

I'm a relatively new player and I have parred seven only a handful of times. At the last random doubles. My partner (a pro) landed his drive about 60 feet from the basket. So I think it's a tough par 3 as well. But still a par 3. The Schatz brothers and I have discussed installing an alternate basket position a little further back to make it a legitamate par four.

I have phoned the park folks as well about the dirt bike riders. They said they were sending security. But they never showed. I have seen at least five different riders. And they are tearing up the trails and cutting donuts around the basket on seven.
The park guys have unlocked the gates for us in the past to drive a truck to the back side. After mixing cement in whellbarrows to pour the pad on 17, we will definitely try to use a mixer next time. I have procured an electric one, and with my generator we should be able to make that chore much easier. Problem is it's about $100 for the cement to pour each pad. The park pays nothing towards this. So we depend on donations. And Darren has been collecting aluminum cans. Our funds are greatly deminished after buying the practice basket and sleeves for the alternate pin positions.
I'm your source of self destruction...
Tim Bell
PDGA# 50060
Pulverizer
DX Plastic

Postby grease » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:01 am

I'm pretty sure 7 is a par 4. With tournament propagation (sp) it averages to par 4 at least. A 3 on that hole feels like a solid birdy to me. Sucks about the dirt bikers. Those guys can tear up the field and get away with it, but if we park more than 3 cars by the pavilion on old hole 1, park security breaks out the tazers!
Fart, it's never not funny!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Return to Deer Lick Park