Looking for some reassurance...

Delkab County - Lithonia, Ga

Moderator: ADGO BOD

Looking for some reassurance...

Postby da4nex » Tue May 29, 2012 1:59 pm

...from you Ree-dan regulars out there.

I've twice had my car windows broken while playing a round at Redan. Also had another instance where I wisely left my doors unlocked and only had some small stuff (Swiss Army knife, lighter) stolen, but at least I wasn't picking glass out of my ass on the ride home. All of this was well over ten years ago and I haven't driven back there in my car since, relying instead on catching a ride with others.

So the question is: do the local thugs still mess around with cars there? I'm hoping to play a round there this upcoming Saturday morning, but may opt for an alternate course if the vandalism is still a common occurrence there.

Thanks in advance for any insight provided,
Alan
da4nex
DX Plastic

Re: Looking for some reassurance...

Postby gvan » Tue May 29, 2012 2:44 pm

I play there 1 or 2 times a month on weekends. No issues. I haven't heard of any problems since they put the new senier center (or whatever it is) building there.
uǝʞuɐɹʌ uɐʌ ʇıɹɹǝƃ
gvan

Postby mrpbody33 » Tue May 29, 2012 5:07 pm

Played there yesterday with no issues. I would say with school out there might be a rise in smash-n-grabs but I haven't heard much besides someone getting shot last September. I would park near the activity/senior center if you are worried about break-ins.
Barry "Mr. P'body" Arnson
PDGA# 28128
ADGO# 133
http://discgolfatlanta.com/
mrpbody33

Postby Sergio Martinez » Tue May 29, 2012 6:30 pm

da4nex wrote:...from you Ree-dan regulars out there.

I've twice had my car windows broken while playing a round at Redan. Also had another instance where I wisely left my doors unlocked and only had some small stuff (Swiss Army knife, lighter) stolen, but at least I wasn't picking glass out of my ass on the ride home. All of this was well over ten years ago and I haven't driven back there in my car since, relying instead on catching a ride with others.

So the question is: do the local thugs still mess around with cars there? I'm hoping to play a round there this upcoming Saturday morning, but may opt for an alternate course if the vandalism is still a common occurrence there.

Thanks in advance for any insight provided,
Alan

Yes they are. I will never drive there again.
Sergio Martinez
Barney

Postby djester#2 » Tue May 29, 2012 7:29 pm

I park up near the road where a car drives by every 30 seconds or so.... Seems to be a safe place to park.
djester#2
DX Plastic

Postby Rubiks » Tue May 29, 2012 11:27 pm

In the last four years, playing ~70 rounds there total, I have never had any issues. I've never personally heard of anyone else having issues there. All I've heard are the same rumors everyone else seems to have heard.
Support Collegiate Disc Golf

National Collegiate Disc Golf Championships
Hippodrome Disc Golf Complex
April 12-15, 2012 in North Augusta, SC
Rubiks
Pro Plastic

Postby Carl Wms » Wed May 30, 2012 12:49 am

It happens. Also reported at other metro parks with disc golf courses.
I found a web site that maps crimes if the jurisdiction reports them.
Dekalb and Gwinnett are the only ones currently mapped.

http://www.crimemapping.com/
Carl Wms
Champion Plastic

Postby JeremyO » Wed May 30, 2012 8:59 am

Just sharing info not trying to sound like an ass, but...

I've been playing Redan regularly for the past year and a half. My sports car has never been messed with. I've played weekdays, weekends, solo rounds at dusk. I've been the only one in the parking lot. blah blah blah, yakkity schmakity...

I'm not doubting that people have had problems in the past, but I have not found anyone who has had an issue since they put the new building in. In my limited experience, most people who shrug their nose because of the issues at Redan haven't played there in years.
JeremyO
DX Plastic

Postby da4nex » Wed May 30, 2012 5:29 pm

Thanks, Jeremy (and others), that was just the sort of first-hand testimony that I was hoping to hear.

Certainly more reassuring than Barry's "your car could be targeted and you may also get shot" offering!

:wink:
da4nex
DX Plastic

Postby jritger » Wed May 30, 2012 9:05 pm

I've been playing there regularly since 2005 without incident, and I've never seen another car that was broken into when I was there. That said, I have seen glass on the ground on numerous occasions, so it does happen.

I'd be willing to be that many of the cars broken into had something of value visible -- not all, but most -- so just use common sense and hide valuables in the trunk.

Perkerson has the same reputation (or worse) and there has only been one incident there, ever, in 5 years.
jritger

Postby Sergio Martinez » Wed May 30, 2012 9:27 pm

Mine was broken into and had nothing visible and they didn't steal anything because there was nothing to steal. There were also several more cars that were hit that day which was in the middle of the afternoon on a bright and sunny Saturday with an almost full parking lot. They tore up my door, broke my window and scratched up the interior costing me a claim and my deductible. Common sense when playing Redan or any course in an area like it is to always be armed or better yet just not go and avoid trouble. I know a car was stolen from there years back and I have heard of someone being robbed at gun point but I don't know if that is true. It is really just not worth it to go to courses in areas like this unless it's a tournament where you know decent people will be around the parking lot. Of course having said that a disc golfer was jumped at Perkerson during action so maybe not even then either......
Sergio Martinez
Barney

Postby Wookie » Thu May 31, 2012 7:02 am

You are right, let's just stop playing and not visit any of the courses because you can be jumped or have your car broken into at any course in the country. :roll:
Use the "force" only for good, never for evil

PDGA 24474
ADGO 127
Wookie
Champion Plastic

Postby JeremyO » Thu May 31, 2012 9:29 am

Sergio,

When did that happen?
JeremyO
DX Plastic

Postby djester#2 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:01 am

I think that everyone should not go to Redan and instead, go to Alexander Park or Lenora Park (both w/ break-ins as well).

This way, I can go and play dg and sing the songs I want to sing (at Redan)
djester#2
DX Plastic

Postby mrpbody33 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:03 am

djester#2 wrote:This way, I can go and play dg and sing the songs I want to sing (at Redan)

Barry "Mr. P'body" Arnson
PDGA# 28128
ADGO# 133
http://discgolfatlanta.com/
mrpbody33

Postby VERMIN » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:13 pm

No recent issues but be smart and leave valuable stuff at home or at least our of sight. Same rule I always lived by when I lived in Grant Park and still do in the burbs. A break in could happen anywhere and even ERP has signs up in their park about leaving valuables in you car.

On a personal sour note - there was an incident of an odd dog who took a bunch of cash this past Sunday morning at dubs :(
Speakin' the vernacular of the peasantry. Poor little kid, I hope she gets home all right....Professor Marvel

Vern Williams - ADGO #120 - PDGA #27359
VERMIN
Star Plastic

Return to Redan Park