Youth Disc Golf Camp at ERP 7/9-7/11

Fulton County - Roswell, Ga

Moderators: kurt, Imran, ADGO BOD

Youth Disc Golf Camp at ERP 7/9-7/11

Postby 12StonesScott » Wed May 02, 2012 9:49 am

Once again, the RDGC and the Roswell Recreation and Parks Department will be hosting a Youth Disc Golf Camp at East Roswell Park this summer. This is at least the fifth year for this event, and this will be the third time I've coordinated things. Camp runs from 9 am to noon each day, and includes instruction on all aspects of the game, including both backhand and forehand distance, approach shots, putting, rules, and etiquette. We generally also try to incorporate some time each day for getting out onto the course and playing a few holes.

Dates are Monday to Wednesday, July 9 through 11. The camp is officially set up for ages 8-14 (age on 6/1/2012) -- if you know someone who's interested but is just slightly too old or young, get in touch with me to discuss. Cost is $58 for City of Roswell residents, $87 for non-residents. Official limit as indicated in the brochure and the city's registration system is 15, but with enough volunteers we can expand that if there's enough interest.

In the past, all of the camp leaders have volunteered their time so that we could put the entire amount paid in into the player's pack, which thanks to donations and discounts has typically had a retail value well above the amount paid by Roswell residents at least (usually including three beginner/youth-appropriate discs -- driver/mid/putter -- a mini, towel, bumperstickers, and a bag (sometimes an Innova Starter bag, last year a nylon drawstring backpack). Not sure yet what this year's player's pack will include, because I'm working on trying to arrange for guest appearances by some of the folks who'll be gathering in the Southeast in advance of Worlds in Charlotte the following week, and there may be some expenses associated with that. One way or the other, however, the kids will get what they need to get started even if they've never played before.

Skill level for players in the past has been fairly broad, but tends toward the beginner end of the spectrum -- last year's camp was mostly kids who'd played only once or twice or not all beforehand. We do try to break up into smaller groups, provided I have enough volunteers to help, based on age/sex/ability level.

If you know someone who'd be interested, please pass the word along. Send questions to camp@roswelldiscgolf.org -- you can also post or PM here, but an e-mail will get a more immediate response (I sometimes go a couple of days without checking in here).

You can register online at https://webtrac.ci.roswell.ga.us/wbwsc/ ... html?wbp=1 ; program number is 43400-01.
Or you can register in person at the ERP Rec Center or by mail. The camp info is on page 24 of the 2012 Summer Program Brochure from the RRPD http://www.roswellgov.com/DocumentView.aspx?DID=788

I could also use as much help as I can get from other volunteers -- you don't have to be a great player to be able help kids get started, and it's a great excuse to spend a few hours on a summer weekday morning at the park throwing discs around. If you can help all three days, that's fabulous, but even one day or a part of a day would be greatly appreciated by the kids (and me).
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Re: Youth Disc Golf Camp at ERP 7/9-7/11

Postby 12StonesScott » Fri May 04, 2012 9:45 am

12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Postby da4nex » Wed May 09, 2012 12:56 am

Put me on the list for volunteers, Scott. The 9am might be a bit tough to make (I usually get off work around 2am), but it's only for three days so I think I can gut it out.

Thanks,
Alan
da4nex
DX Plastic

Postby 12StonesScott » Wed May 09, 2012 9:52 am

da4nex wrote:Put me on the list for volunteers, Scott. The 9am might be a bit tough to make (I usually get off work around 2am), but it's only for three days so I think I can gut it out.

Thanks,
Alan

Thanks, Alan! Appreciate whatever you can manage. I know it's possible to do it on three or four hours of sleep -- had to do exactly that all three days last year :wtf: .
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Get signed up!

Postby 12StonesScott » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:44 pm

Still plenty of slots available with a week before the first session. Register before Friday so we have a solid count for Monday morning if you're interested.

Player's pack (assuming Innova gets the shipment to me by Friday) will include:

Lightweight (some < 140g, some 151-159g) Blizzard Bosses
RDGC course fundraiser custom-stamped DX Rocs and Aviars, light-to-mid weight on most
Custom-stamped RDGC minis
Innova Standard bag
Towels
miscellaneous goodies

That's around $60 retail value, so if you live in Roswell, you're getting back more than you pay in registration fees, and even for out-of-city folks you're paying under $30 more than the value of the swag.

All ability levels welcome -- even if the kids have never thrown a disc before we'll get 'em started. We can't make champions out of everyone in three days, but we can all have fun and learn some things along the way.

Let me know if you have any questions.
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Return to East Roswell Park