For you old guys out there and maybe some newbs...

Questions & Answers

Moderator: ADGO BOD

For you old guys out there and maybe some newbs...

Postby Funky Bobby J » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:18 pm

Frank at Discstalker bent my ear about the Blizzard plastic. I have to say, I am impressed. I bought a 149g Boss and threw it a few times out at Deerlick into some pretty serious headwind on 8 and 16, it's legit. It turned a little and came back true as can be. It is definitely less stable than it's heavyweight kin, but not crazy understable. I can definitely see some saving some wear and tear on the arm if I ever get to play regularly again.
Living in the United States where the hottest European import is Plutocracy...
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Re: For you old guys out there and maybe some newbs...

Postby VERMIN » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:41 pm

Be it disc or regular golf you can count on a master using technology to even the field 8)

I wish they they could have made one smaller rim disc in Blizzard material - I use my 150 Star Valk quite often.
Speakin' the vernacular of the peasantry. Poor little kid, I hope she gets home all right....Professor Marvel

Vern Williams - ADGO #120 - PDGA #27359
VERMIN
Star Plastic

Postby mrpbody33 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:57 pm

A bit of a warning though. Since there is so much variation in the disbursement of bubbles throughout the disc you can have small difference in flight patterns. Also I noticed that the early runs have most of the bubbles in the flight plate and later runs had more bubbles in the rim. This is due to an issue with the bubbles close to the surface beginning to wear thin and eventually pop exposing the crater. This will cause the surface to be very rough. More of an issue with the bubbles on the flight plate rather than the rim.
Barry "Mr. P'body" Arnson
PDGA# 28128
ADGO# 133
http://discgolfatlanta.com/
mrpbody33

Postby VERMIN » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:06 am

Don Ho Warning!!! Watch out for the tiny bubbles :shock:
Speakin' the vernacular of the peasantry. Poor little kid, I hope she gets home all right....Professor Marvel

Vern Williams - ADGO #120 - PDGA #27359
VERMIN
Star Plastic

Postby Bhuff » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:00 pm

in general terms. They can already make smaller rim discs in lighter weight since there is less plastic. The reason this works well for faster drivers is because most golfers, 80% or so, cant throw fast enough to have speed 12-13 discs fly on their designed flight pattern...and you old guys? I have one of these in my bag!!
Bhuff
DX Plastic

Postby Funky Bobby J » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:23 pm

Was being nice and not saying rag-armed guys...as I am one...
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby Dale H » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:16 pm

So the new blizzard plastics has allowed the experienced player to recognize the benefits of lighter discs, cool.
Dale H
DX Plastic

Postby kade.erp » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:29 pm

From my local area Innova insiders I have heard...

"Blizzard discs without bubbles in the rim will fly "truer" to their heavier counterparts. Innova wants the bubbles in the flight plate. I believe they want to add a coating to the bubble infused flight plate to protect it. They want to take MVP's dual polymer disc idea and innovate it into the blizzard, mainly to protect the thin surface the bubbles create."

Luckily I took my latest winnings and and grabbed one of each. 138 Wraith 150 Katana 159 Destroyer 156 Boss. Two or three years ago I would have passed b/c you need good form to throw these. Today I can say my form is fine and I love how far these go w/ little effort.

My most positive experience with them is the 138 wraith at stand still. Get stuck in the woods w/ no run up? No worries, throw 350+ at a stand still. Totally sick get out of trouble stand still max d driver...
kade.erp
Pro Plastic

Postby heartman » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:05 pm

[quote="kade.erp"My most positive experience with them is the 138 wraith at stand still. Get stuck in the woods w/ no run up? No worries, throw 350+ at a stand still. Totally sick get out of trouble stand still max d driver...[/quote]

That's what Innova is marketing the Mamba as ... a stand still Max D driver
McCurry Action - Sundays @ 10am

Athens Disc Golf on Facebook: Group and Page

Fayette County Disc Golf Club on Facebook and Disc Golf Scene
heartman
DX Plastic

Postby $Dollar$ » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:03 am

Blizzard plastic....it's not just for old guys and weenie arms! Dave Wiggins Jr threw a couple into orbit. The official world Distance record will be broken this year with Blizzard Plastic, and I'm guessing it wont be by a weenie arm!

I took all the fast drivers out of my bag at the beginning of the year, but if I can get a few more hours of practice with the Blizzard Boss it will be in the bag forever.I threw it some at Perkerson before the tournament Sunday. I really liked starting my warm up with a lighter disc, and the distance it produces is just silly. I've been embracing lighter plastic on my overstable discs for a while now with very good results. I carry 4 Firebirds under 170g. My 160g Glow FB is more stable than my 175g Glow FBs.
BAAAAKAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
$Dollar$
Champion Plastic

Postby K-Mack » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:30 am

I threw the blzzard destroyer during the las Vegas tourney, and I birdied 3 of the 6 times I used it.

If you want to try the blizzard discs, I will have a set available to throw on one of the holes of the Frizzcrib tourney Sunday.
K-Mack
DX Plastic

Postby Funky Bobby J » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:39 pm

Dale H wrote:So the new blizzard plastics has allowed the experienced player to recognize the benefits of lighter discs, cool.

I have been throwing lighter stuff (167 +/-) for drivers for a long time. My fairway drivers, mids, and putters are all max weight. All of the lightweight (150ish) fast drivers I have tried were or became real squirrelly over time.
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby kade.erp » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:12 pm

That's what Innova is marketing the Mamba as ... a stand still Max D driver[/quote]

I guess the Mamba is just another innova disc I wont need... man do they know how to grow thier product line(s)!
kade.erp
Pro Plastic

Postby Carl Wms » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:17 pm

Is this available in an X-Clone mold yet?
Carl Wms
Champion Plastic

Return to Q & A