Tournament payout (split from AO thread)

Local Disc Golf Tournament Info

Moderator: ADGO BOD

Tournament payout (split from AO thread)

Postby JPZ » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:58 pm

grease wrote:...will return stronger than ever.

GIVES YOU PLENTY OF TIME TO RE-UP THAT DISC SELECTION :mrgreen:

@ Rand- very unfortunate for ATL. DISC GOLF . But, good luck and congrats w/ the yob!

edit... uuuhmm :? I just thought I won all of your inventory at the FF tourney.
Last edited by JPZ on Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JPZ
Champion Plastic

Re: 2012 Atlanta Open Cancelled

Postby grease » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:20 pm

Wow! That was pretty harsh JPZ! Perhaps you would like to spend thousands of dollars on discs with the hope that what you order is what people would like to have. Then out of the $6k of stock that you bring, $5k goes back home with you. I will say that I don't have a lot of the current( have had them over the year, you just missed them) discs due to debt from earlier this year, but I try my best to provide a good selection.
Fart, it's never not funny!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby gvan » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:01 pm

grease wrote:Wow! That was pretty harsh JPZ! Perhaps you would like to spend thousands of dollars on discs with the hope that what you order is what people would like to have. Then out of the $6k of stock that you bring, $5k goes back home with you. I will say that I don't have a lot of the current( have had them over the year, you just missed them) discs due to debt from earlier this year, but I try my best to provide a good selection.

This is the hardest, most anxiety causing part of running a tournament in my experience. There are a lot of factors that go into getting payout variety that most folks just don't know. This includes limitations in how much you can order and how many you HAVE to order of a single mold to get the bonus packages that is a big part of the payout. It's a marketing game and the manufacturers know how to play it.

Back to the thread... I'm sad that the AO won't happen in 2012, but very happy that Rand didn't decide just to coast and do it even though he won't have adequate time. It shows his character the he will put on the best event he can, or none at all.

Congrats on the new job, Rand!
uǝʞuɐɹʌ uɐʌ ʇıɹɹǝƃ
gvan

Postby Rich Meade » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:34 pm

On the whole disc payout thing...
Seems to me, with two great stores in our area, that gift certificates to those should be just peachy...
Get one CFR mold (most people buy them as wall hangers anyway) order enough to cover the field and be done with it...

I tell you... the best payout system I saw was the Belchin Turkey at 'Nooga a couple weeks ago...
You got vouchers, and people (retailers) brought out stashes to use the vouchers on...and the tournament reimbursed them.

Support the locals. I'd rather that $5000 go into something else than a whole truckload of custom stamped CFR's I have no intention on using.
PDGA#: 48326
Rich Meade
DX Plastic

Postby gvan » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:41 pm

Rich Meade wrote: Support the locals.

Greg IS a local disc retailer.
uǝʞuɐɹʌ uɐʌ ʇıɹɹǝƃ
gvan

Postby Rich Meade » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:54 am

Well as a small business owner the $5k was probably budgeted for, and he probably knows not to buy more than he can feasibly sell. right?

All I'm saying...is STOP dumping money into something you'll never break even with...or come out ahead on ...like 100 discs each of 4 different CFR molds...
That's just dumb...YOu just end up with BOXES of discs from tourneys that happened 3 years ago!
You might be able to get away with that at a whole week tourney...
But exclusivity is the key to selling discs...not usability... a quick visit to the DGCR will tell you that.

Give vouchers for local retailers instead of discs for payouts and playerpacks... have one disc made up specifically for player packs...and nothing else... holding 20 or so back for people who might want an extra or something. Throw in a voucher, so the money goes to the retailers first...
Have the retailers come hold a fly mart...and bam... you've just dropped probably half of your overhead.
Rich Meade
DX Plastic

Re: Tournament payout (split from AO thread)

Postby gvan » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:30 pm

There is more to it than that, but maybe we could chat about it over a beer sometime.
uǝʞuɐɹʌ uɐʌ ʇıɹɹǝƃ
gvan

Postby mrpbody33 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:15 pm

I'll supply the beer.
Barry "Mr. P'body" Arnson
PDGA# 28128
ADGO# 133
http://discgolfatlanta.com/
mrpbody33

Postby VERMIN » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:06 am

mrpbody33 wrote:I'll supply the beer.

Can I just come for the free beer but not really pay attention to the conversation :?:

I am more than happy to sponsor with a big bag of Frito's :thumbup:
Speakin' the vernacular of the peasantry. Poor little kid, I hope she gets home all right....Professor Marvel

Vern Williams - ADGO #120 - PDGA #27359
VERMIN
Star Plastic

Postby JeremyO » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:59 pm

mrpbody33 wrote:I'll supply the beer.

What were we talking about again?

I love you man.
JeremyO
DX Plastic

Postby Rich Meade » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:07 pm

I am happy to chit chat with the wise ones lol...

Question for you TD's...
What percentage of the CFR's (generalizing all manufacturers) you purchase...are actually SOLD?
Not counting what goes to playerpacks or sponsors...

My guess is 10% maybe 20%

You probably get them at around $10 per... so after playerpack discs and sponsors (which we'll just count as having been paid for)...
even at selling 20% you barely break even...if at all...

And why....
are the payouts way less at the higher tier tournaments...
By far the worst payout I've ever experienced was at the Charlie Vettiner...
$40 entry (rec)...
I got second out of 36 people...
and I was given a PRE-SORTED bag of 3 discs, 2, stickers, and a mini.

That was fishy...
Rich Meade
DX Plastic

Postby $Dollar$ » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:20 pm

Rich Meade wrote:I am happy to chit chat with the wise ones lol...

Question for you TD's...
What percentage of the CFR's (generalizing all manufacturers) you purchase...are actually SOLD?

My guess is 10% maybe 20%

You probably get them at around $10 per... so after playerpack discs and sponsors (which we'll just count as having been paid for)...
even at selling 20% you barely break even...if at all...

If you have a sweet and catchy design and only order molds that are fresh or popular, then selling CFR's isnt hard. With more and more events getting CFRs, it is becoming a tougher market, but a catchy stamp goes a long way

Rich Meade wrote:And why....
are the payouts way less at the higher tier tournaments...
By far the worst payout I've ever experienced was at the Charlie Vettiner...
$40 entry (rec)...
I got second out of 36 people...
and I was given a PRE-SORTED bag of 3 discs, 2, stickers, and a mini.

That was fishy...

Most AM sports do not pay people at all to play.
BAAAAKAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
$Dollar$
Champion Plastic

Postby Wookie » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:44 pm

$Dollar$ wrote:

I know they do in mountain bike racing, and I have also noticed that they have some pretty sweet payouts for the kayak fishing tournaments I have seen up here but there isn't really a Pro or Am division as much as different species of fish.

However, they usually don't pay as deep as disc golf does. Usually it's just the top 3 or 4 spots and it's always in gear associated with that sport, most of the time it's also donated by the manufacturers or shops.
Use the "force" only for good, never for evil

PDGA 24474
ADGO 127
Wookie
Champion Plastic

Postby Cha Ching » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:14 pm

Wookie wrote:
$Dollar$ wrote:

I know they do in mountain bike racing, and I have also noticed that they have some pretty sweet payouts for the kayak fishing tournaments I have seen up here but there isn't really a Pro or Am division as much as different species of fish.

However, they usually don't pay as deep as disc golf does. Usually it's just the top 3 or 4 spots and it's always in gear associated with that sport, most of the time it's also donated by the manufacturers or shops.

This is what mtn bike races payout also. Unless your riding a pro divison.
Team Greenhill Woods
Cha Ching
Pro Plastic

Postby Wookie » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:52 pm

Cha Ching wrote:
Wookie wrote:
$Dollar$ wrote:

I know they do in mountain bike racing...

This is what mtn bike races payout also. Unless your riding a pro divison.

:lol:
Use the "force" only for good, never for evil

PDGA 24474
ADGO 127
Wookie
Champion Plastic

Postby mrpbody33 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:42 am

Rich Meade wrote:What percentage of the CFR's (generalizing all manufacturers) you purchase...are actually SOLD?

Dollar is right. A good stamp design followed by a good disc model are key. First year of the Iron Leaf (then the Fayette County Fall Classic) I had CFR Katanas and Glo Gazelles. The Gazelles went quick because the stamps were mainly silver, gold and a few dark colored ones. The Katanas didn't move well and I ended up selling a most of them to Bob. I remember we bought a ton of discs for the ADGO tourney at FlyBoy a while back. We got Aviar Bid Beads which never moved. The RW-Pro Rocs went like hotcakes.

When you purchase CFR discs you have to get a minimum of 25 in a single mold and you are limited by the number you can purchase by the tier level the tournament is. C-Tier is 50 discs. So you have to be certain that you can move 25 discs in a particular mold and that you don't get screwed by the manufacturer when it comes to disc color and stamp color.
Barry "Mr. P'body" Arnson
PDGA# 28128
ADGO# 133
http://discgolfatlanta.com/
mrpbody33

Postby billnchristy » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:51 am

Discs are such a pain. I like them because we hang tourney discs on the wall but I hate them because they are a pain to move.

CFRs are 6 bucks each, that is basically the price of pro plastic for tourney stamp orders...so you can get a better disc for the same amount of money.

I bought 100 discs for my flygirls tourney last year, moved about 50 at 2x price, gave away about 25, kept about a dozen and still have the remainder.

The year before I bought 75 cobras and moved all of them save for what I kept. I also bought CFR katanas and Makos and that was dumb.

As for payout...ive never paid under 100%, it comes down to how much overhead you have and how much actual sponsorship you attain. If you can pay your costs by fleecing the masses (sponsorship) then you don't have to fleece your players.

A TD will get out as much as he/she puts in. I dedicate as much time to my unsanctioned and C tiers than a lot of A-tier TDs put in and I hope it shows.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby jritger » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:18 pm

You can order CFRs in fewer than 25 quantity per mold, but the expensive non-CFRs must be ordered in at least 25 per disc. Gets tougher to sell them each year -- but is all about design and mold. If you get 20 flat top firebirds you will sell all of them; if you get 20 champion glo Aviars you'd be lucky to sell 2.
jritger

Postby djester » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:19 am

if you get 10 champion glo big bead aviars, you could sell 10 of them to Djester
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby $Dollar$ » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:46 am

cfrs are no longer 6 a pop. The price went from 315 for 50 to 395 for 50.
BAAAAKAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
$Dollar$
Champion Plastic

Postby Rubiks » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:27 pm

djester wrote:if you get 10 champion glo big bead aviars, you could sell 10 of them to Djester

You want some? The Georgia Tech club just got some for our collegiate tournament.
Support Collegiate Disc Golf

National Collegiate Disc Golf Championships
Hippodrome Disc Golf Complex
April 12-15, 2012 in North Augusta, SC
Rubiks
Pro Plastic

Postby Rich Meade » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:17 pm

$Dollar$ wrote:

I get that, but I was just wondering why the payouts are less the higher the tier.
Out of the 15 tourneys I played this year, the best payouts were the unsanctioned (which makes sense)..The next best were the c-tier...and the B tiers have been ok... but less...
and the one A-tier was the worst.

If all the payouts were the same (whatever they may be... large or small) I'd understand...but there isn't any consistency, and I wonder why that is...

Gerrits tourney I got 3rd and a $100 payout... C-tier...$30 entry (I think)
The Vettiner Open...2nd place...maybe a $30 payout... A-tier $40 entry

Both tourneys the division was full (36 players)

Now this could be an anomaly but...most everyone I've asked...seems to notice the same thing.
Rich Meade
DX Plastic

Postby gvan » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:57 am

Rich Meade wrote:If all the payouts were the same (whatever they may be... large or small) I'd understand...but there isn't any consistency, and I wonder why that is...

Gerrits tourney I got 3rd and a $100 payout... C-tier...$30 entry (I think)
The Vettiner Open...2nd place...maybe a $30 payout... A-tier $40 entry

Both tourneys the division was full (36 players)

Now this could be an anomaly but...most everyone I've asked...seems to notice the same thing.

Well, I'm really still learning. I had more available for Am payout because I ran it all myself. A normal tourney (using a vendor) gets a 20% bump, I could do 45% and still cover costs. Next year it will be somewhat less in Am and more in Pro. In fact, I already have nearly $1000 to add between the Pro divisions.

As for A tiers, they are required to have specific amounts of added cash. Since this is usually interpreted as Pro Payout, there is less to play with in the Am divisions. I'm not saying that's right, just how it is. It will continue that way until we get non disc-golf money sponsoring more often, but that's another controversial topic.
uǝʞuɐɹʌ uɐʌ ʇıɹɹǝƃ
gvan

Postby grease » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:00 pm

Did you forget to factor a player pack into the payout? I believe A-tiers require a player pack.
Fart, it's never not funny!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby billnchristy » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:25 pm

B's do as well.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Return to Disc Golf Tournaments