New Pins

Gwinnett County - Lawrenceville, Ga

Moderator: ADGO BOD

New Pins

Postby $Dollar$ » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:22 pm

I have to say that most of the new pins I saw this weekend were not good. Saturday's layout was by far the least valid and least fun layout that I have seen at Alex. Several of the new pins are on greens that have not been cleared of total shule. I saw several people stuck in spots less than 30 ft from the basket with no putt.

It seems like a waste of money to keep making pins just for the hell of it. It is a real shame that these courses only see 1 tournament a year, and it's a bigger shame that on that one day the course is set in some pins that were not ready (or even designed) for tournament play.

I really do appreciate all the work that is done out there. I just felt that feedback should be given regardless if it's good or bad.
BAAAAKAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
$Dollar$
Champion Plastic

Re: New Pins

Postby ricker112 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:14 pm

Good feedback. I was kind of indifferent on how I felt on them. Over all none of the new pins made me excited to play them. I would think that spending money on some grown trees for holes like #1 and #2 would have been money better spent. All in all I appreciate the effort though.
-Frank Skrobot- PDGA # 47914
HATE CITY HUCKERS
ricker112
DX Plastic

Postby gvan » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:29 pm

Point taken. There has been feedback both ways so far. Some liked them, some didn't. I haven't calculated the scoring spread yet, but last year on both of the holes at Alex there were very few 4's on either hole. It'll be interesting to see how it falls.

I wasn't happy with the amount of vines, etc. left before the tournament (even after spending over an hour out there Thursday) and had to make a judgement call. Looks like I made the wrong call. Sorry about that.

As for the cost. we could not have installed even one tree for the cost of all the new pin positions. However, the parks guys tell us they are getting some seen and will try to replace our lost trees and the ones that are dying.
uǝʞuɐɹʌ uɐʌ ʇıɹɹǝƃ
gvan

Postby Funky Bobby J » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:03 pm

That is more or less what I was trying to say on my previous post in the GCO thread. There is no way that you should be punished for being anywhere in a 20 to 30 foot radius of the basket. Having to straddle put around a tree is one thing, having no putt is unacceptable. Tournament positions should be the best most valid positions that a course has to offer. Save the quirky ones for dubs and casual play.

Also, one of the new positions is way too close to the walking path - it has potential to really hurt someone (hole 12 I think tucked short right). It was easy to tell that a lot of work was done, but some positions are still not quite ready for prime time.

The course has come a long way - in a few years once the trees really start coming in - it has some real potential. I do not play Lenora often either, but it is fun to grip it and rip it every once and a while.

Gerritt - you are stepping up to run this action. No doubt there will be lessons along the way. You did a great job with the weather and I think it ran really smooth for a two-course tourney. Good work and we all look forwad to next year.
Living in the United States where the hottest European import is Plutocracy...
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby gvan » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:20 pm

Funky Bobby J wrote:... - in a few years once the trees really start coming in - it has some real potential. ...

Unfortunately, by the time the trees come in, we'll all be throwing the "Ninja Mk6" and The Alex will be a Superclass course.
uǝʞuɐɹʌ uɐʌ ʇıɹɹǝƃ
gvan

Postby billnchristy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:41 pm

There are holes as described on many of the courses in this area. Central has a couple (4 and 17 I believe), Deer lick has some on the back 9, ERP has 8 and if you want to get technical there aren't many spots within 30' of 4 that are clear.

And on and on.

I thought you guys fancied yourselves as good?
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby Funky Bobby J » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:07 am

Not clear - as I stated above - having to straddle putt around an obstacle is one thing - having no putt is another. As I also stated above, okay to have those positions, but should not be used for tournament play. Those situations take "good" out of the equation often times and bring too much luck in play.
Living in the United States where the hottest European import is Plutocracy...
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby Bootsie » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:23 pm

Basically to sum it all up. Next time speak with your local professional golfer/course designer about any judgement calls on new pin positions, teepads and everything else that goes into designing a course.
Bootsie
Pro Plastic

Postby ricker112 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:29 pm

gvan wrote:
As for the cost. we could not have installed even one tree for the cost of all the new pin positions. However, the parks guys tell us they are getting some seen and will try to replace our lost trees and the ones that are dying.

I guess I never compared costs. I guess making the easier holes harder was the point. Like I said love em or hate em we have new holes to play and I am certainly thankful for that.
-Frank Skrobot- PDGA # 47914
HATE CITY HUCKERS
ricker112
DX Plastic

Postby mrpbody33 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:15 pm

I, for one, welcome our new pin position overlords.
Barry "Mr. P'body" Arnson
PDGA# 28128
ADGO# 133
http://discgolfatlanta.com/
mrpbody33

Postby Discstalker_Dave » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:33 pm

mrpbody33 wrote:I, for one, welcome our new pin position overlords.

LOL! I always just shoot for the location that is closest to my disc regardless of where the actual basket is:>)

Matt, thanks for the feedback, I think that Greg and Gerrit just wanted to add in some extra challenge as the course is fairly well mastered by you guys, thankfully the pond is too low for the alligators they were planning on bringing in and also be thankful that Greg did not bring all those 3 inch hornets back that he had at the AAA:>)

Dave
Discstalker_Dave
DX Plastic

Postby Ryan H » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:42 am

Good feedback guys. As #5 long position has gotten worn in I really like it. The short positions are super easy to par even if you miss the gap into the woods. I think stretching it back through another layer of obstacles is really going to help spread the score. I like the added locations simply for the variety it adds to the course.

-Ryan
Ryan H
Barney

Postby $Dollar$ » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:05 am

I can agree with Ryan that Hole 5s deep pin isnt so bad now that it's worn in. HOWEVER, hole 13 in the long right is a downright BAD pin placement. There is no legit line from Tee to Basket! The worst part of this is that hole 13 in original is one of the best holes at Alex. I really hope that we dont use that in the tournament. It's embarrassing to tell out of towners how great a course is and then they show up and only get to experience the course in some silly pins that skews their experience. It's ok to want to mix it up when you play a course all the time but I think it would be best to display our best pin placements for out of towners during the tournament.
BAAAAKAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
$Dollar$
Champion Plastic

Postby gvan » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:50 pm

Yes, yes.

5 will only be in the new one if we can get more clearing done. It's better, but now we have permission to cut some of the vines and schule so it can be as good as originally planned. otherwise, classic long.

13 will never be in that C position in a sanctioned tournament. It will be in the deep classic position. That position has the best scoring spread of any hole at either Lenora or Alex. Pro and Adv is almost an exact 30/30/30 split (2,3,4). Also, the pin is 5' to the right and high of the original plan. Later this year it will be corrected and the privet to the right of the fairway will be cleaned up.

16 will be short.

I had thought about moving 13 between rounds between the classic long and the ace run position. What are thoughts on that?
uǝʞuɐɹʌ uɐʌ ʇıɹɹǝƃ
gvan

Return to Alexander Park