McDonough Rd Widening

Fayette County - Fayetteville, Ga

Moderators: SlingShot, ADGO BOD

McDonough Rd Widening

Postby IcebergSlimD » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:49 pm

The county has started surveying on a widening project of McDonough Rd. As of now, they plan to widen 150 ft on both sides of the road. Whether this means they'll take 300 ft on one side or 150 from both, I don't know. When they do widen, it will more than likely affect all holes that run along the road. We might need to start thinking of some new holes just in case.
IcebergSlimD
DX Plastic

Re: McDonough Rd Widening

Postby heartman » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:18 pm

:shock:

So that could potentially affect 11, 12, 14, and 15?

There's a lot of land on the opposite side of the road to take from (however there are a couple buildings towards County Line and a small pond they'd have to deal with too ...). Hopefully they'll leave McCurry intact. All those nice mature pines ...
McCurry Action - Sundays @ 10am

Athens Disc Golf on Facebook: Group and Page

Fayette County Disc Golf Club on Facebook and Disc Golf Scene
heartman
DX Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:30 pm

150 feet or 15 feet from each side?

15 feet would be a lane and 5 foot buffer or bike lane each way which would make sense.

150 feet would be the equivalent to 15 (FIFTEEN) lanes - and I don't see anyone widneing any road to 30 lanes.

I'm hoping for a typo in the origianl post.
Father of Future World Champion Lorelei Johnson #13697
keith johnson

Postby heartman » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:32 pm

keith johnson wrote:150 feet or 15 feet from each side?

15 feet would be a lane and 5 foot buffer or bike lane each way which would make sense.

150 feet would be the equivalent to 15 (FIFTEEN) lanes - and I don't see anyone widneing any road to 30 lanes.

I'm hoping for a typo in the origianl post.

yes please

heartman
DX Plastic

Postby IcebergSlimD » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:35 pm

Not a typo but more than likely a mix up in communications. I thought 150 sounded a bit extreme.
IcebergSlimD
DX Plastic

Postby IcebergSlimD » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:12 pm

From GDOT: "Widening from 2 to 4 lanes with a 24-foot raised median and 4-foot bike lanes, and reconstruct
approximately 5.7 miles on SR 920/McDonough Road from SR 54 in Fayette County easterly to
US 19/41 in Clayton County."
IcebergSlimD
DX Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:25 pm

So that probably means 30 feet on each side - 10' lane 12' median 4' bike - 4' right of way - 30 feet would definately affect the trees on 12 and 14 on the right, but with the width of 11 and depending on where they widen exactly - it may not affect anything if they go on 1 side or it may affect all 3 if they go only on park side. I would also think that the median will have breaks for turn lanes so no extra width there, but with having to widen the area where the park entrance is the long position on 11 may have to be backed up 25-30 feet, and the tee on 12 may have to move left, and the basket could move left also if needed as there is plenty of room that direction. 14 tee and basket would also have to shift left, but again there is plenty of room for that, so it shouldn't require wholesale or drastic changes for 30 feet - if all 60 feet come from the park side though it might be a different story.

The good part is that both sides of the road there are park land, and the other side has nothing on it including trees at that section, so they may take more from that side of the road at the park entrance and course areas.

Keep your fingers crossed as it will probably end up being a 2-3 year project when all is said and done. :cry:
keith johnson

Postby IcebergSlimD » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:32 pm

Even if they take most of the space from the opposite side, 11 will be a very different shot with a 4 lane road instead of a 2 lane. It might become a safety issue. One thing to be concerned about is that there are several county buildings (Water Dept., Road Dept., 911, etc...) on the opposite side of the road. The county might be more resistant to taking space away from them, especially the water dept. which is already close to the road. 40 feet on that side would put the road right up at the front door of the building.
IcebergSlimD
DX Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:08 am

We'll have to wait until they put the stakes up to see where it will be for sure - did the GDOT site say when construction was supoosed to begin?
keith johnson

Postby IcebergSlimD » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:07 pm

It is not on their current project list from their website. I would imagine it will be at least a year before they start anything. There is a lot of private property further down the road so the state will have to negotiate with them. A coworker of mine has access to some of DOT's blueprints and plans. I'm going to try to get a look at them to see what is the plan.
IcebergSlimD
DX Plastic

Postby heartman » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:28 pm

IcebergSlimD wrote:It is not on their current project list from their website. I would imagine it will be at least a year before they start anything. There is a lot of private property further down the road so the state will have to negotiate with them. A coworker of mine has access to some of DOT's blueprints and plans. I'm going to try to get a look at them to see what is the plan.

sounds like a plan :thumbup:

heartman
DX Plastic

Postby IcebergSlimD » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:23 am

I received some good news about this the other day. The widening is planned to occur on the other side of the road. Any impact to the course should be minimal.
IcebergSlimD
DX Plastic

Postby mrpbody33 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:45 am

:thumbup: :clap: :-D
Barry "Mr. P'body" Arnson
PDGA# 28128
ADGO# 133
http://discgolfatlanta.com/
mrpbody33

Postby keith johnson » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:09 pm

IcebergSlimD wrote:I received some good news about this the other day. The widening is planned to occur on the other side of the road. Any impact to the course should be minimal.

Pretty much what I said would probably happen last OCT- glad to hear it.

So if I ever play there again it wil be as I remember. :mrgreen:
keith johnson

Postby mrpbody33 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:15 am

Well they did survey on both sides of the road and there were markers put in the ground. So it was of concern. The holes on that side might have to be tweaked once the road is widen. Only time will tell...no sense worrying too much about it now.
Barry "Mr. P'body" Arnson
PDGA# 28128
ADGO# 133
http://discgolfatlanta.com/
mrpbody33

Postby keith johnson » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:11 pm

I'm not worried about it at all - it didn't happen before the last GSSS Event there, so I'm good either way. :mrgreen:
keith johnson

Postby IcebergSlimD » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:59 pm

During my supervisor's meeting at work on Thursday, I learned that the plans are not set in stone. Some county buildings and depts (including mine) are going to be affected and are lobbying the county road dept to rethink their plans. It is still a few years away, but the park is not in the clear yet.
IcebergSlimD
DX Plastic

Return to McCurry Park