NEW Oregon Park details and conversation

Cobb County - Marietta, Ga

Moderators: kurt, Lewis, ADGO BOD

NEW Oregon Park details and conversation

Postby BP » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:00 pm

D.G. ATL,

Now that we have the revised Oregon Park course in the ground we want to provide the details and have a place for “constructive” criticism. We realize there is no way to please all but it would be extremely beneficial to hear the good, the bad and the ugly opinions on this course. Certainly there is no ugly :mrgreen:

Everyone has a personal preference and opinion as to what the Oregon Park disc golf course should look like. I’m including some basic information and details that were used to create this course, which should answer several questions, right off the bat (whether you agree or disagree). This new design with 18 holes has both two tee pads (red & blue) and two baskets (silver & gold) per hole. Most tee pad and basket placements are significantly different on each hole, not just long and short! This creates a variety of choices and diversity in one course.

Our goal was to create a course that everyone could/would enjoy so personal preferences were not a factor by club board members etc. in the design created by Kevin McCoy. Kevin was gracious enough to take on the task and offer his services. Our initial request to Kevin was for a course design (not redesign) that incorporated additional property that in the end was not available to us for disc golf. With the change in property available for DG we had to reassess the options for a course revision as there was not enough property for two courses. Again, Kevin was willing to help design a course that used the available property in a manner that provided the most diversity.

The level of this course is beginners to intermediate players (although still challenging for the advanced). The shorter version (red pads to silver baskets) works great for beginners requiring a variety of throws to be efficient. The middle options (red to gold & blue to silver) requires some additional skill while providing variety throughout the course. The longer version (blue to gold) is the most challenging requiring golfers to excel and progress their skill set. We feel as though the progression this course offers will create a great group of golfers at Oregon Park in the near future!

Overall distance for this course was not a top priority, which is why a portion of the open fields are not in use. This allows those areas to be used as a driving range, which is one of the most crucial aspects of those learning and honing their skill set. There are very few courses that have open areas available 24/7 for DG practice. We are fortunate to have this space along side our course for practice before, after or just as an exclusive practice area. We were also limited by the boundaries surrounding the open areas, which left a portion of those field areas undesirable for our layout. The creek areas were a concern for the county so those small areas were unused and left to those using the pavilion and walking dogs.

The last portion of the puzzle was the fact that we have White Oak approximately 7 miles from Oregon Park and eventually the Pitner Road DG course which will be about 6 miles away with both leaning towards the advanced players.

Feedback on the course is welcome and appreciated. The information we gain from this project helps us as we move forward with future projects.

Tee pads are next on the list as we require a bit more fundraising to reach that goal.

Thank you!

Bob Pressley
Cobb Disc Golf Club President
A 501(c)3 Organization
Bob Pressley
PDGA # 42766
http://www.disccaddie.com
Marietta Square
BP
Pro Plastic

Re: NEW Oregon Park details and conversation

Postby BP » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:19 pm

...the first update to the NEW O.P. is that we have already evaluated the "flow" of the course and reviewed with Kevin. We have decided that renumbering the course will allow the best movement of golfers (both experienced & new) throughout the course.

We're also going to change the blue tee pad on #9. The new location will make it a bit longer, provide more angle to the blue basket and sit under a huge oak tree providing some great shade. This will move this blue to gold combination to a par 4.

This will create a Par 59 from the blue pads to gold baskets. We'll require a "naming" at some point of the five par 4's as they are grouped together: 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

We'll create a new course map & tee signs BEFORE any formal change of the course layout. We'll post the new map & renumber the tee signs before we announce on our website, the ADGO board and or any other information site.

The NEW route will be as follows (using the current numbering): 1,2,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,3,4,5,6,18

This moves some of the shorter holes to the back end of the course providing several opportunities for birdies while the potential for disaster on #18's hill (gold basket) still looms!

* FYI, We'll be making additional signs in the next several weeks to place on the course to help new players find their way through the course in a timely manner
Bob Pressley
PDGA # 42766
Marietta Square
BP
Pro Plastic

Postby coreyml » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:59 pm

I like the course. I think that the renumbering is a good idea. For those who cant throw as far, grouping those holes together could literally be painful. I know that I havent been out there to do work (moved) but I would clear out gold 7's Tee pad. That shot is kind of ridiculous. I'm sure that the more that the course gets played, more will clear.
coreyml
DX Plastic

Postby BP » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:30 pm

The blue tee pad on #7 (old #5) has been that way for some time so we'll see how it plays with the new layout. Several of the original or previous holes (or at least portions of them) were used to hold some of the old OP vibe...

coreyml wrote:I like the course. I think that the renumbering is a good idea. For those who cant throw as far, grouping those holes together could literally be painful. I know that I havent been out there to do work (moved) but I would clear out gold 7's Tee pad. That shot is kind of ridiculous. I'm sure that the more that the course gets played, more will clear.
Bob Pressley
PDGA # 42766
Marietta Square
BP
Pro Plastic

Postby grease » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:12 am

[quote="BP]We'll create a new course map & tee signs BEFORE any formal change of the course layout. [/i][/quote]

When you recreate the t-signs, can you show the pads as gold and silver? The blue and red pads with gold and silver baskets as shown on the existing t-signs is slightly confusing.
Fart, it's never not funny!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby BP » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:18 pm

Grease,

Can you elaborate? What is confusing about the red & blue (standard color coding for tee pads)?

My first thought would be that if tees were also silver and gold (same as baskets) there might be some kind of assumption that you need to match accordingly (you have to throw to the silver basket if you are on the silver tee) instead of the option of either of the two basket from each pad.

Are YOU confused? :wtf:

grease wrote:[quote="BP]We'll create a new course map & tee signs BEFORE any formal change of the course layout. [/i][/quote]

When you recreate the t-signs, can you show the pads as gold and silver? The blue and red pads with gold and silver baskets as shown on the existing t-signs is slightly confusing.[/quote][/quote]
Bob Pressley
PDGA # 42766
Marietta Square
BP
Pro Plastic

Postby grease » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:57 pm

I guess I am slightly confused since the original word on the street was that there would be gold/silver tees and gold/silver baskets. Thus the playing gold to gold, gold to silver,silver to silver, or silver to gold options that were regularly referred to before the tee signs were added to the tee posts. Plus, the tee posts were marked gold and silver with a sharpie before the tee signs were added. I played the course not long after the tee signs were added and people were asking where the gold or silver pads were, so I wasn't the only one thrown off by the blue and red tees on the tee signs. Not ragging on anyone and I really appreciate the improvements out there.
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby BP » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:34 pm

No worries, just trying to determine the best option in the long run for the course. Yes, for some reason silver & gold came out as tee pad colors. We're hoping red & blue would work it's way into the "norm" since everything else remained same.

grease wrote:I guess I am slightly confused since the original word on the street was that there would be gold/silver tees and gold/silver baskets. Thus the playing gold to gold, gold to silver,silver to silver, or silver to gold options that were regularly referred to before the tee signs were added to the tee posts. Plus, the tee posts were marked gold and silver with a sharpie before the tee signs were added. I played the course not long after the tee signs were added and people were asking where the gold or silver pads were, so I wasn't the only one thrown off by the blue and red tees on the tee signs. Not ragging on anyone and I really appreciate the improvements out there.
Bob Pressley
PDGA # 42766
Marietta Square
BP
Pro Plastic

Postby millayday » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:03 pm

I gotta agree with Grease. Every single person I've played the course with asks why the hell the tee pads are blue/red and the baskets are silver/gold. Even though red and blue might be normal at other courses, those courses do not have 2 different baskets that they could be throwing to. It's needlessly confusing on an already confusing course that a lot of the locals are having trouble adjusting to. Avid disc golfers like the new layout but almost every newb I've heard hates it and want a return to the original layout. I personally love the new course and am very thankful to everyone involved. Obviously there are some tweaks that need to be made but, all in all, it's quality and it gives a lot of different play options. There are really only two holes that I have a problem with, and I'll venture a guess and say that most other people who've played them will agree. Hole #9 Gold is borderline retarded. I know that that was not meant to be the original pin placement, but that is the definition of a "throw and hope" hole. I guess they're trying to call that a par 4 but it could only be considered that due to difficulty factor, definitely not distance. And the difficulty factor should require skill to overcome, not luck. In fact, there's really only 1 legit par 4, and that is #7 Gold (old 5). I'm not sure where this par 59 thing is coming from. 8, 9, and 10 are long but not par 4 long. Anyways, the other hole that needs a lot of tree removal to be valid is #14, especially the silver tee. Actually, I forgot about 15 Gold. That is a pretty questionable placement too. Not sure where else it could go since I'm told across the creek is not an option, but it is definitely lacking right now. I certainly appreciate the fact that this is still a work in progress and I'm sure many of these issues will be addressed. Just giving my initial thoughts on the course. Overall I think it's great and look forward to it getting even more beat in. Thanks again to everyone involved
millayday
DX Plastic

Postby BP » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:49 pm

Thanks Chris! You are correct as across the creek is not an option for any of the holes. We'll revisit the red/blue vs. gold/silver if the color combination alone is confusing golfers so easily. Additional tree removal would have to be addressed with the county which would/could happen after some review time.

millayday wrote:I gotta agree with Grease. Every single person I've played the course with asks why the hell the tee pads are blue/red and the baskets are silver/gold. Even though red and blue might be normal at other courses, those courses do not have 2 different baskets that they could be throwing to. It's needlessly confusing on an already confusing course that a lot of the locals are having trouble adjusting to. Avid disc golfers like the new layout but almost every newb I've heard hates it and want a return to the original layout. I personally love the new course and am very thankful to everyone involved. Obviously there are some tweaks that need to be made but, all in all, it's quality and it gives a lot of different play options. There are really only two holes that I have a problem with, and I'll venture a guess and say that most other people who've played them will agree. Hole #9 Gold is borderline retarded. I know that that was not meant to be the original pin placement, but that is the definition of a "throw and hope" hole. I guess they're trying to call that a par 4 but it could only be considered that due to difficulty factor, definitely not distance. And the difficulty factor should require skill to overcome, not luck. In fact, there's really only 1 legit par 4, and that is #7 Gold (old 5). I'm not sure where this par 59 thing is coming from. 8, 9, and 10 are long but not par 4 long. Anyways, the other hole that needs a lot of tree removal to be valid is #14, especially the silver tee. Actually, I forgot about 15 Gold. That is a pretty questionable placement too. Not sure where else it could go since I'm told across the creek is not an option, but it is definitely lacking right now. I certainly appreciate the fact that this is still a work in progress and I'm sure many of these issues will be addressed. Just giving my initial thoughts on the course. Overall I think it's great and look forward to it getting even more beat in. Thanks again to everyone involved
Bob Pressley
PDGA # 42766
Marietta Square
BP
Pro Plastic

Postby grease » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:13 pm

Not trying to jump on Chris' bitch wagon, but usually ( forgive me if I have this backwards) red denotes long and blue is before the ladies tee. On some holes, the red (or long tee) is not always longer than the blue tee or at least it seems. Even the tee markers for the shorter tee on hole one are painted silver. It just seems instead of trying to defend the red/blue pads on the tee signs that since you have to redo them anyway, why not go with gold/silver like everyone was expecting/used to? I guess I just did jump on the bitch wagon, but I only mean it as constructive criticism with the utmost respect.
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby BP » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:29 pm

I'm super familiar with the layout & tee coding so it's hard for me to see the confusion... On hole #1 you are provided with the different overall (all 18 holes) distances for each basket making it clear that one option is further overall than the other. My assumption is that someone is choosing at that point which basket they are going to play to and away you go? You start on the blue tee pad and you continue to play the blue tee pads the entire round, no?

I know it sounds as though it would make something (I'm not sure what) easier if we just changed to silver/gold but, I just want to make sure I understand the "problem". Do you get confused during play which tee you have been throwing from? Are we trying to make sure the people that are playing the red/silver tees only throw to the silver basket?

Blue is the longer of the two tees in most cases with a few being similar on some holes.

The "bitch" wagon is in a way what we are looking for although, constructive criticism sounds so much more grown up :mrgreen:

grease wrote:Not trying to jump on Chris' bitch wagon, but usually ( forgive me if I have this backwards) red denotes long and blue is before the ladies tee. On some holes, the red (or long tee) is not always longer than the blue tee or at least it seems. Even the tee markers for the shorter tee on hole one are painted silver. It just seems instead of trying to defend the red/blue pads on the tee signs that since you have to redo them anyway, why not go with gold/silver like everyone was expecting/used to? I guess I just did jump on the bitch wagon, but I only mean it as constructive criticism with the utmost respect.
Bob Pressley
PDGA # 42766
Marietta Square
BP
Pro Plastic

Postby Funky Bobby J » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:33 am

grease wrote:Not trying to jump on Chris' bitch wagon, but usually ( forgive me if I have this backwards) red denotes long and blue is before the ladies tee.

Wrong again ass-tard - ball golf red is always the ladies, blue is longer. Most quality DG courses have the same scheme. Love you Grease and you are not an ass-tard...usually...
Living in the United States where the hottest European import is Plutocracy...
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby mr.disc » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:51 pm

check.
"Feared by deer, Adored by women"
mr.disc
Champion Plastic

Postby Lewis » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:33 pm

Whatever works for the majority is fine with me, but I do want to say that all the maps and all the signage have consistenly shown blue and red pads from the very first sketches by Kevin right through everything that I posted anywhere as well as Duke's final product. I honestly don't know where idea of changing the colors of the pads to "silver" and "gold" comes from, since I have never seen it anywhere on any golf course, disc or ball. It's also a bit of a mystery who put out the tee markers on hole #1 and painted them silver. Nothing wrong with the random contribution from a random stranger, it just surprises me that people took on and spread the change to the design as if it were the original idea all along. :wtf:

Again I'm okay to go along with the majority on this one, but I do worry that changing the pads to "silver" and "gold" will confuse more people in the long run than naming them "red" and "blue" as originally designed. Should we make a poll?
Lewis
Champion Plastic

Postby millayday » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:24 pm

How exactly would changing the color of the tee pads to match their corresponding basket cause anyone confusion? Nowhere else nearby has a course with not only two baskets per hole, but different colored baskets. That just makes changing the pad colors obvious. I just don't see what confusion there could be about stepping up to the gold pad and throwing to the gold basket, whereas you step up to a red marked pad and see a gold and silver basket on the sign and wonder which one to go to. Obviously people's heads wont be exploding over this slight confusion, and all but the Ricky Nichols of the world will eventually figure it out, but it just makes so much more sense to me to match the tee pad color to the basket color. Just an opinion. But I cant reiterate enough how pleased I am with the course we have now. Still think a 27 hole layout with the original 9 intact would have been incredible :mrgreen: , but this layout will assuredly please any disc golfer willing to give it a shot. So much better than previous incarnations. Thanks again to everyone involved
millayday
DX Plastic

Postby BP » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:47 pm

Understood and it totally makes sense if you want to force the thought of silver to silver and gold to gold BUT, that is only half the options on this course.

I suppose their could be confusion on either side however, in either case you have to choose a basket when you step up to one of the two tee pads.

I'm assuming and hoping any confusion (regardless of color coding) would fade after players had the opportunity to play OP once or twice...
Bob Pressley
PDGA # 42766
Marietta Square
BP
Pro Plastic

Postby atl scott » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:09 pm

Maybe you should name the 4 different course layouts and get rid of tee and basket colors all-together.

Gold = long pad to long basket
Black = long pad to short basket
Blue = short pad to long basket
Red = short pad to short basket

Then someone could say to his buddies "Hey wanna meet for a round of Oregon Blue" and it might make sense. Assuming said golfer actually had friends. :cry:
atl scott
Pro Plastic

Postby BP » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:29 pm

I'm not sure if it adds to the confusion but, I do like the concept of a single color identifying a specific pad to basket combo...

atl scott wrote:Maybe you should name the 4 different course layouts and get rid of tee and basket colors all-together.

Gold = long pad to long basket
Black = long pad to short basket
Blue = short pad to long basket
Red = short pad to short basket

Then someone could say to his buddies "Hey wanna meet for a round of Oregon Blue" and it might make sense. Assuming said golfer actually had friends. :cry:
Bob Pressley
PDGA # 42766
Marietta Square
BP
Pro Plastic

Postby jritger » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:51 am

FWIW, here's an example of another course using the same concept. Fantastic course if you are ever in that area: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=17&mode=ci

They have two colors (silver & blue) for both baskets and teepads:

Tee 1 = Silver/Silver (Par 54)
Tee 2 = Blue/Silver (Par 57)
Tee 3 = Silver/Blue (Par 61)
Tee 4 = Blue/Blue (Par 67)

I've played it once and it worked well, not confusing at all.
jritger

Postby Funky Bobby J » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:32 am

jritger wrote:FWIW, here's an example of another course using the same concept. Fantastic course if you are ever in that area: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=17&mode=ci

They have two colors (silver & blue) for both baskets and teepads:

I've played it once and it worked well, not confusing at all.

Good lord that is so confusing - where were the red tees? So many colors and so many options - this is just too much for any one person. Maybe they can have a volunteer hand out a decoder pen before you tee off... You mean there are long tees and short tees AND long baskets and short baskets...catch your breath and hang on...
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby Cha Ching » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:10 pm

Atl Scott and Ritger have described it best. Charlotte has many courses with long and short tees and baskets. Come up with a clever name, like they do up there....Hornets Nest, long tees to long baskets = Charlottes Web. Renny is the same way, long to long is called Renny Gold. Kilborne..long to long = Skillborne..

Thats all i have to say about that :arrow:
Team Greenhill Woods
Cha Ching
Pro Plastic

Postby BP » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:10 pm

Color coding never seemed like it would be a sticking point :wink:

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo which hole is your favorite so far at the new OP?
Bob Pressley
PDGA # 42766
Marietta Square
BP
Pro Plastic

Postby grease » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:32 pm

I give up! It makes more since to call the pads green or orange since this course does not correlate to any other ball golf course that you are trying to emulate.
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby BP » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:42 am

OK, fine, we'll make it silver and gold! :thumbup:
Bob Pressley
PDGA # 42766
Marietta Square
BP
Pro Plastic

Postby mrpbody33 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:15 am

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Barry "Mr. P'body" Arnson
PDGA# 28128
ADGO# 133
http://discgolfatlanta.com/
mrpbody33

Postby grease » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:52 pm

BP wrote:OK, fine, we'll make it silver and gold! :thumbup:

plus, just think about stepping up to every yee and having that Burl Ives song "Silver and Gold" going through your head. How wonderful that would be!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby RobertB » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:00 pm

I cant believe you caved to the pressure BP. Actually blue and white tees make the most sense.

Gold: Invariably the back tees; for blessed strikers only.
Blue: Usually slightly ahead of the gold and make the holes shorter, but still plenty hard. Club competitions are played from these tees.
White: For everyday, casual play, making them the right choice for beginning golfers. Stray from the white tees at your peril.
Red: Traditionally used by women, although many women play by using the same tees as men.

Read more: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/h ... z1TXAVrFzj
Bob Braun #7449
RobertB
Barney

Postby jonp » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:45 pm

Hur man än vänder sig är alltid ändan bak
jonp
Site Admin

Postby BP » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:07 am

The new OP theme song....

jonp wrote:
Bob Pressley
PDGA # 42766
Marietta Square
BP
Pro Plastic

Postby kurt » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:57 am

From Wikipedia:
--Black/Gold tee markers are usually reserved for touring professionals in official tournaments. Most municipal courses aren't equipped with this set of tees as very few public courses will hold professional events. Only the best players in the world play from these tees.
--Blue tee markers usually denote the teeing ground used for championship play in tournaments, and is the tee used by skilled male players who have a low handicap. This tee is almost always the longest yardage for each hole, unless the course is equipped with black or gold tees. Championship tees are often called "the tips".
--White tee markers usually denote the teeing ground used most often by men, typically those who have a middle or high handicaps. This tee is almost always the middle tee between the championship and ladies tee and is often called the "men's tee".
--Red tee markers can have two meanings. If the red tees are behind the white tees, it's usually for championship play. More commonly, the red tees are located in front of the white tee markers and are often called the "women's tees". The forward tees usually offer the shortest yardage on the course.
--Green tee markers often have shorter yardage even than the red tee markers, and usually indicate where juniors and beginners hit from. Sometimes they are between the white (men's) and red (women's) tee markers and are used as the "senior" tees.

Remember in ball golf no matter how many tee's there might be there is only one hole.

From NYNJdiscgolf.com
Brakewell Steel/Warwick town course
Description: Magnificently manicured world-class course featuring rolling terrain, beautiful views and great variety. Some tight woods and some long open holes with excellent use of ridges and small cliffs. Dual tees - pro tees marked with steel animals. Dual baskets allow play on any of 4 layouts, ranging from 4800 ft to 8805 ft.

Updated Hole Info

*baskets are colored to silver and blue

once things are finalized at O.P. it will be one of the best courses in Georgia.
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort."
He says, "Oh,there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."
So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.
kurt
Barney

Postby grease » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:05 am

I think that dead horse has been flogged enough about the tee pads.
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby mrpbody33 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:37 am

PDGA# 28128
ADGO# 133
mrpbody33

Postby Funky Bobby J » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:44 am

kurt wrote:once things are finalized at O.P. it will be one of the best courses in Georgia.

Uh - no, it won't - solid, but unspectacular. I played it Sunday for the first time in years and thought that there were some fun holes, but 2 sets of pads and baskets does not make a great course. What will likely happen over time is that people will pick their fav tee and basket combos and a good course will emerge thru that.

I had a good time and will definitely play it again - but no where near one of the best courses in GA (IMO).
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby grease » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:48 am

Funky Bobby J wrote:
kurt wrote:once things are finalized at O.P. it will be one of the best courses in Georgia.

Uh - no, it won't - solid, but unspectacular. I played it Sunday for the first time in years and thought that there were some fun holes, but 2 sets of pads and baskets does not make a great course. What will likely happen over time is that people will pick their fav tee and basket combos and a good course will emerge thru that.

I had a good time and will definitely play it again - but no where near one of the best courses in GA (IMO).

Maybe Kurt has only played OP. So to him, his statement is correct.
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby mrpbody33 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:40 pm

Actually Mr. Kurt Waggoner has played all over if I am not mistaken. Here is him winning Lost in the Woods back in 2007.
PDGA# 28128
ADGO# 133
mrpbody33

Postby grease » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:15 pm

Are you sure that's Kurt Waggoner? I thought he moved away.
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby kurt » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:49 pm

kurt waggoner it is.
op is not the only course i have played.
not moved away just took a break and slowly creeping back in.
let me clarify my statement of:
"be one of the best courses in Georgia"
sure there are courses that are better and that are more set up for professional level players, sure there are courses better suited for beginners and there are courses that are great for advanced players.
but to have a course that can attract, and bring back, players of all different skills definitely sets it aside from other courses.
the words "great, best, terrific, spectacular, etc" are all opinions.
maybe as time progresses we can look at some real statistics.

family willing i can probably be caught at local action at ERP, OP, Sequoya or Wills.

Having said all this there is one problem that a 2/2 set up has on a course: playing through.
Please be concise of people playing to different pins and allow others to play through when the hole permits.
He says, "Oh,there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."
kurt
Barney

Postby BP » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:59 pm

kurt wrote:Please be concise of people playing to different pins and allow others to play through when the hole permits.

Kurt, thanks for checking out the new version of OP. What do you mean in the statement above? Just to try and inform players of the proper or desired DG etiquette?

Once the kiosk is in place and some of our additional signs are ready we'll do our best to highlight those desired actions and etiquette. There is a good sized group of players that you may refer to as "lacking great maturity" so we'll do our best to educate. 8)

I of course would agree to a certain extent with your analysis of the new OP. It certainly doesn't hold the attraction that many seasoned players (not necessarily the old guys like Grease) or big arms may prefer however, I believe the diversity of the course will do more to improve the game of most golfers than many of the other courses in the area. This was a major goal for this course. Young golfers will come out of OP with a wider range of shots that will prove more effective on different courses since distance can be improved at a much quicker rate than precise execute.
Bob Pressley
PDGA # 42766
Marietta Square
BP
Pro Plastic

Postby kurt » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:25 am

i will try to elaborate on my playing through statement:
two foursomes (8 folks) at tee pad at same time.
one group is playing gold to gold one group playing gold to silver
i would allow both groups to tee off at same time then split up at fairway juncture of gold and silver baskets
or let the group playing the shorter hole tee off first
kurt
Barney

Postby Lewis » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:48 pm

grease wrote:I think that dead horse has been flogged enough about the tee pads.

I suggested four different plaid patterns for the pads and baskets, so we could name them things like "MacLeod to Kennedy," or "Cameron to MacDonald," but that got shot down. :cry:
Lewis
Champion Plastic

Postby BP » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:52 pm

There is NO plan to encourage two foursomes on a single hole at any given time!

A scenario like that is asking for trouble and as a club (we are responsible to the county and our insurance company for any rules or policies we enforce or suggest) we can't condone anything that may elevate the chances of injury. We certainly encourage allowing faster groups to play thru and for golfers to be aware of both groups in front and behind.

In theory it makes sense however, I think there are too many variables involved to think it would save time in the long for everyone. Although not any kind of policy, I'm sure veteran golfers would know when its safe to throw if the group in front is playing to the silver basket and they are throwing to gold without a chance of interfering or passing a group without being asked to do so. Does that make sense?

kurt wrote:i will try to elaborate on my playing through statement:
two foursomes (8 folks) at tee pad at same time.
one group is playing gold to gold one group playing gold to silver
i would allow both groups to tee off at same time then split up at fairway juncture of gold and silver baskets
or let the group playing the shorter hole tee off first
Bob Pressley
PDGA # 42766
Marietta Square
BP
Pro Plastic

Postby Funky Bobby J » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:32 pm

Bob...he does not mean exactly at the same time... He is trying to explain the etiquette of how you let someone play thru - which is lost on many. You would all safely throw tee shots and then approach you second shots and allow the natural flow to continue presumably with the folks playing the shorter pads to finish out and move on.

The course will have serious and possibly dangerous flow issues when there are many people out there - Kurt is right - etiquette will be a necessity out there. How do you teach etiquette to the masses (or the occasional TD :o )? I do not remember the holes well enough - but you have some crisscrossing and close proximities that could be a real issue.
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby BP » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:15 pm

As mentioned above, the renumbering (which will take place by the end of the week) will eliminate all criss-crossing and some of the close proximity on the course... The course will get crowded as it typically does in the fall however, I do not think the revised course will cause any additional flow issues. I would hope that with the additional option for two groups playing to different baskets that you may reduce some flow issues. We'll find out soon enough :shock:

Funky Bobby J wrote:Bob...he does not mean exactly at the same time... He is trying to explain the etiquette of how you let someone play thru - which is lost on many. You would all safely throw tee shots and then approach you second shots and allow the natural flow to continue presumably with the folks playing the shorter pads to finish out and move on.

The course will have serious and possibly dangerous flow issues when there are many people out there - Kurt is right - etiquette will be a necessity out there. How do you teach etiquette to the masses (or the occasional TD :o )? I do not remember the holes well enough - but you have some crisscrossing and close proximities that could be a real issue.
Bob Pressley
PDGA # 42766
Marietta Square
BP
Pro Plastic

Postby coreyml » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:20 pm

Played it again today - first time in a month - new signs.
I like it, I like the flow and the pin positions. I like new 18's tee, too.
I still think 7 blue is a little ridiculous and should either be cleared out (since there is concrete)or moved.
Do the signs have the distances for each pin from the respective tee pad? I never went over to the silver pads to look and compare - but i think they should, if not already.

Nice work all-uh-yall and thank you.

I know some tee pads still need some TLC and just overall use to clean them up and I understand that will come.
coreyml
DX Plastic

Postby BP » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:23 pm

Signs are in but will be revised again with a little more detail along w color change and new numbering.

#7 tee pad area got some clearing today so next time you'll be more than happy :mrgreen:

Each tee sign (on each pad) has the distance to each basket. They do not have any details for the other pad for the same hole but is pictured.

Tee pads do need a little TLC but, will also become permanent with concrete in the future as well.

coreyml wrote:Played it again today - first time in a month - new signs.
I like it, I like the flow and the pin positions. I like new 18's tee, too.
I still think 7 blue is a little ridiculous and should either be cleared out (since there is concrete)or moved.
Do the signs have the distances for each pin from the respective tee pad? I never went over to the silver pads to look and compare - but i think they should, if not already.

Nice work all-uh-yall and thank you.

I know some tee pads still need some TLC and just overall use to clean them up and I understand that will come.
Bob Pressley
PDGA # 42766
Marietta Square
BP
Pro Plastic

Postby Lewis » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:17 pm

The old #5 blue pad (was #7 gold, has just today become #3 gold :geek: ) will probably need yearly clearing to preserve the fairway lane out of the trees. We did a lot of clearing last Fall on that hole, actually, and basically mowed down some large privet bushes that were in that part of the fairway. But privet and other weeds grow fast, so that hole will probably continue to need annual pruning.

With that said, please be respectful of the park and don't "take matters into your own hands" with the pruning. Park management expects us to get any pruning or cutting approved by them before it gets done. Thusfar they've been very accomodating with the land they've given us, so if there's a thornbush or a branch that's obviously growing out of control into a fairway, talk to the club before you do anything. Odds are we'll have no problem taking it out if it really is a problem, but we need it to be done the right way so there's no misunderstandings. We don't want the county tree huggers jumping down our throats. :mrgreen:
Lewis
Champion Plastic

Postby grease » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:29 pm

Played OP today and must say that the renumbering was a major improvement and cut down big time on the criss-cross effect of the previous layout. Well done! Now if you could change the tee signs back to red and blue...........
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby BP » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:24 pm

How about BLACK & BLUE :shock:

grease wrote:Played OP today and must say that the renumbering was a major improvement and cut down big time on the criss-cross effect of the previous layout. Well done! Now if you could change the tee signs back to red and blue...........
Bob Pressley
PDGA # 42766
Marietta Square
BP
Pro Plastic

Postby grease » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:26 pm

See you Sat.! :lol:
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby Lewis » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:08 am

I've made a new map to reflect the changes (and used my minor mod powers to edit Jay's sticky post to link to the new version of the map). For anybody who's interested, you can find all posted versions of the map at http://cobbdg.com in the "Shared Documents" section. I'm basically using that forum as file storage right now, but if you're a member of the cobb disc golf club you can sign up and post if you like.

http://www.cobbdg.com/forum/index.php?a ... ;attach=16
Lewis
Champion Plastic

Postby dandaman » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:43 pm

I'm confused (who isn't?). :roll:

I understand the benefits of multiple pads and even 2 baskets on each hole, but why don't you go with just one or the other? One pad to two different baskets OR two pads to one basket? If you go with the later idea then the other baskets could be used for another park in Cobb county (if there is a park with that possibility). If you go with just one pad and one basket then the additional money being raised could go to another park that could support/acquire dg (if such a park in Cobb county exists). That way you are getting two courses for the price of your $.

I understand that would be totally against the flow of what is occuring now, but it sounds like you have 2 courses on top of really just one. In all fairness I have not played OP since it was a 9 hole course with two different dirt teepads, so maybe I am really off based. My apologies for interjecting my thoughts. I personally would prefer to have two courses in an area rather than just one that had multiple teepads and bakets.

Johnson! Keep an eye on that Kherplakistan situation...
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby craigd » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:52 pm

I agree with you Danial,

But... If I may try to explain the thought and someone please correct me if I'm wrong (and I know they will). The idea is that the two basket/two tee pad combo is a way to capitalize on the shrinking property that is available to disc golf (especially in Cobb parks). The idea behind the design is to have four distinctive layouts per hole. The two tee pads for example aren't just different distances but rather they have completely different looks at the two baskets. The same can be said about the basket placements. They are if not drastically, then at least somewhat different shots from any given tee. The result is an opportunity to play four layouts with four distinctive personalities. Short-short, long-long, short-long, and finally long-short.

I like the differences and the choices. I live five minutes from the course and can play a moderately difficult layout or an easy layout depending on my mood or available time. Again, if I'm playing the short pads its not just the same old shot from a slightly shorter pad. It's in most cases a completely different shot.Same thing when I mix up the baskets. I virtually have 4 courses just five minutes away. It's an unusual idea but its coming together nicely. It's worth mentioning that the short to short layout is easy enough that a more advanced player may not enjoy the shorter options.

For what it's worth, I'm thinking of a one day four round tourney coming up this winter. Two consecutive rounds, lunch, and then two more consecutive rounds playing the four layouts. :shock: :o :twisted:
Last edited by craigd on Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig Dickerson
PDGA# 38061
ADGO# 258
craigd
Pro Plastic

Postby BP » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:13 pm

I/We appreciate your $0.02 as we do with all that share their thoughts (which is why we created this thread)...

I don't think you would be confused if you came out to play OP and experienced the multitude of options (not just long and short) that this course now offers. Sure, if we had dedicated DG land in parks all over Marietta/Cobb County it could make sense to spread out the baskets but, we don't. One of the original wishes/plans was to have 36 holes at Oregon Park however, things did not work out in that manner and our available land was reduced.

Our goal was to maximize the land at OP and create the best option(s) for this course which has drawn people for 15+ years. OP and it's players deserve this course and golfers will be better for it!

dandaman wrote:I'm confused (who isn't?). :roll:

I understand the benefits of multiple pads and even 2 baskets on each hole, but why don't you go with just one or the other? One pad to two different baskets OR two pads to one basket? If you go with the later idea then the other baskets could be used for another park in Cobb county (if there is a park with that possibility). If you go with just one pad and one basket then the additional money being raised could go to another park that could support/acquire dg (if such a park in Cobb county exists). That way you are getting two courses for the price of your $.

I understand that would be totally against the flow of what is occuring now, but it sounds like you have 2 courses on top of really just one. In all fairness I have not played OP since it was a 9 hole course with two different dirt teepads, so maybe I am really off based. My apologies for interjecting my thoughts. I personally would prefer to have two courses in an area rather than just one that had multiple teepads and bakets.

Bob Pressley
PDGA # 42766
Marietta Square
BP
Pro Plastic

Postby Lewis » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:32 pm

There are other parks in the county that could accomodate disc golf, and several very real opportunities that we have identified or have hearsay about, but Bob and Craig are right that we want to do the best we can with Oregon Park before we move on to other projects. I also agree with Bob that you won't be confused once you come check it out. With the tee signs (thanks Duke!) and the other signage (thanks Craig!) and all the hard work everybody has been putting in (thanks everybody!) getting the course put together, you should find it very playable.

Also, let me offer an example of how the two baskets and two tee pads setup might actually help the crowds at OP. On Thursday evening, when Grease and I were doubles partners (he's welcome to say whether he agrees with my analysis or not), our foursome was caught from behind by an 8-some of high-school "barneys": the kind of group that plays like they're 8 solo players playing a speed round on the same hole, with no regard for each other's safety, and no hesitance to throw on the group ahead of them. This was indeed irritating to my group, but the irritation was mitigated by the fact that they were throwing to the other basket on every hole. This made it easier for us not to be hit by their throws aimed at the silver baskets while we were putting at the gold baskets. And it gave them the opportunity to pass us on hole 13 without asking to play through (groups like this aren't mature enough to ask to play through, and probably knew we wouldn't want an 8-some playing through us anyway). Yes, they bothered us, and yes, they ought to learn some etiquette, but in this case their lack of etiquette was a milder problem than it would have been on a course with only one basket per hole. In a situation where someone has real etiquette, and asks to play through, rather than rushing through as an 8-some, it would also be easier to let them through without slowing down the pace of play for either group (I think this was mentioned above). On a course where the crowds are so large and barney packs are so common, I look at double baskets as a beneficial feature.
Lewis
Champion Plastic

Postby grease » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:40 pm

I agree that it was a good thing to have a shorter course amid the longer course in this instance. The 8-some caught up and jumped ahead of us, but since they were playing all silver, they were quickly ahead of us. It wasn't really an issue aside from the not asking to play through and rudely jumping ahead part.
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby O4PETESAKE » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:23 pm

Less discussion about format....more discussion about weed-eating. I wish I had the fairway accuracy of Grease, but some of us are spending way too much time searching for discs in tall grass and weeds. Oh well, I am losing other people's plastic anyway. No wait, not me....you!
Disc
Golf, WO 30157
O4PETESAKE
Pro Plastic

Postby Lewis » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:54 pm

^ I agree. Is there a way we could ask the mowers to cut wider fairways in the fields? I'm thinking specifically about #4, #5, #6, and #18.
Lewis
Champion Plastic

Postby djester » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:55 pm

Great mix of shots! Finally Oregon park is worth driving to. Gold/Gold is a great challenge.
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby da4nex » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:18 am

I've recently played Silver-Silver (nice birdie course) and Gold-Silver (more challenging, but with potential to shoot an under-par for an AM like me). Gold-Gold may be a bit out of my scope, but I'm definitely looking forward to trying the Silver-Gold layout.

Criticisms about the flow of the course are negligible, especially when you balance the occasional unclear/lengthy hikes to the next hole with the fact that the park is accommodating four separate courses. And once you've been through the course a few times, it's actually pretty easy to navigate.

While I enjoyed the previous course the few times I played it, I think what the guys have done with the new courses is a huge improvement. I say "job well done."
da4nex
DX Plastic

Postby Lewis » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:34 pm

I noticed yesterday that the park mowers have mowed both fields at Oregon Park, so y'all come bring your rollers to hole 6 and let 'em rip! I know people have been wanting to do that for a while. :)
Lewis
Champion Plastic

Postby provino » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:20 pm

Played the course today and I think its looked better than ever. The par 4's are nice and i like the long flow. Picked up trash as usual. Thanks to all who maintain this course :D
provino
DX Plastic

Return to Oregon Park