Voting for PDGA Board - Kevin McCoy's Statement

Questions & Answers

Moderator: ADGO BOD

Voting for PDGA Board - Kevin McCoy's Statement

Postby Funky Bobby J » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:07 am

I do not know Kevin that well. I gotta say that this is one of the more thoughtful statements that I read (and I read them all) of all the people running for the PDGA Board of Directors. It seems like he has some fresh ideas for disc golf. I liked what he had to say and will definitely vote for him - not because he is local, but more so he articulated some real goals and ideas for reaching them. Good luck Kevin.

http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/2011PDGABoardCandidateStatements.pdf

Kevin McCoy, #9453
Professional Experience:
9 years as a Circuit Engineer/Provisioner with Verizon, AT&T, Level3, & MCI Worldcom
Disc Golf Experience:
18 years (16 years PDGA member), 5 years full-time Touring Pro, 92 PDGA Professional Wins, 4 World
Doubles Championships. 2006 PDGA AM Worlds TD, Oklahoma State Coordinator 2002-2007.
Statement:
My Mission is to increase the memberships of the PDGA. My goal is that the PDGA have at least 50,000 annual
memberships, not total memberships. By lowering the membership fee to a more practical price that is
somewhat equal to what the members actually receive in return and to add more benefits to entice more people
to become members. One of which I strongly believe in is to organize PDGA Sanctioned League Play. The
weekend tournament play is not for everyone and the PDGA is missing out on most of the recreational weekday
players. Take softball for example, is the American Softball Association solely featuring their attention to
weekend tournament play? No actually most of its participants play weekly recreational league play and that is
where I believe most of the disc golfers fit in. When we organize these leagues it will feature ratings and weekly
points scoring structures. PDGA league play will dramatically increase members and revenue for the association
and it is time for it to happen.
I want to build a stronger tour and I don’t mean throwing cash blindly into event purses. I’m actually speaking of
the creating featured events that can be more of a festival like environment. The current tournament structure is
only good for the top players and it has heavily increased the players that give up the sport because there is no
reward for them if they are a middle level player. If the player was provided a festival atmosphere they would at
least consider they had a great time instead of feeling like they just donated their entry fee to the top players.
I am also interested in the position because the division structure of tournaments needs to be fixed. I’m for
eliminating the 30+ different divisions you can play. Age protected divisions are fine but the different levels of
Amateur creates a sandbagging element and I know how it can be eliminated. First of all, I think amateurs
should get paid up front with strong players packs. Paying amateurs out in merchandise at the end of the event
actually promotes sandbagging which also drives the lower tier players away from coming back regularly. I
believe in a flight payout system similar to what most of your local recreational golf tournaments are played.
I would also like to incorporate the Advanced divisions along side with the Pro divisions, not competing against
the pro’s but to have them competing within the pro’s but only competing against other Advanced players. This
will enable them to get the experience they may need to make the step to the next level. I think that the
Advanced divisions should be sort of like the minor leagues, where players have a chance to get better. Take for
example the PGA where Amateurs play along side if the pro’s and they still reward the top Amateur players at
their event. I really feel like the Advanced divisions are the level that the PDGA should focus more time and
energy because they are the next players in line and we should work with them more than we do.
I am very concerned with the direction the association is going and I would like to be part of the board to ensure
the association is headed in the right direction of growth. My wife has been a PDGA member since 1997 and I
have been a member since 1994 and we have been hearing “wait 5 years this game is going to explode.” Well I
have been waiting 5 years for some time and it’s time I get back involved to help that explosion finally happen.
In closing I want to mention that I was the Oklahoma State Coordinator from 2002-2007 and in that time we
went from a state with very limited numbers of members and events, all the way to hosting the 2006 Am Worlds,
2 National Tour Events and several other prominent events that ended up marking Oklahoma on the map as a
great place for disc golf. I have played in 3 countries and over 40 US states so I have a broad range of what
does and does not work in the entire disc golf community.
Vote for me and let’s make it happen.
Living in the United States where the hottest European import is Plutocracy...
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Re: Voting for PDGA Board - Kevin McCoy's Statement

Postby Dale H » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:21 pm

Bob,

Thanks for posting about upcoming PDGA BOD elections, 7/18 - 9/1. Here is the link http://www.pdga.com/elections. I like Kevin's statement and believe it represents a refreshing point of view for our members. I would encourage every member to read the statements and vote.

Thanks,

Dale
Dale H
DX Plastic

Postby gvan » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:33 pm

Kevin is also the only one that asked for my vote in his statement. Good form! He'll get it.
uǝʞuɐɹʌ uɐʌ ʇıɹɹǝƃ
gvan

Postby Funky Bobby J » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:33 pm

Actually, I also like a lot of what Pete Schive has to say. He is definitely a little nutty and gung-ho, but his principles are in the right place. I agree with the transparency and eliminating cronyism as much as possible. You are setting your organization for fostering impropriety (or the appearance of such - and thus losing confidence of the membership) without having transparent goings on.
Living in the United States where the hottest European import is Plutocracy...
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby Lewis » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:31 pm

gvan wrote:Kevin is also the only one that asked for my vote in his statement. Good form! He'll get it.

:shock: Wow, you're right. Most everybody else thanks you for your consideration or says "if elected I will..." Looks like Kevin actually wants it. :thumbup:
Lewis
Champion Plastic

Return to Q & A