Georgia Disc Golf Championships™

Questions & Answers

Moderator: ADGO BOD

Georgia Disc Golf Championships™

Postby IMPRESARIO » Wed May 18, 2011 4:35 pm

Georgia Disc Golf Championships™ - Bowden Golf Complex - Macon, Georgia. Many of you have heard about the new disc golf course being developed in Macon (two 18 hole Championship calibre disc golf courses at one location, one exclusively disc golf, the other is both a disc golf and ball golf course). Our goal for this course has always been to host the Georgia Disc Golf Championships™. We want this tournament to crown the trully best in our state and provide them with the resources ($$$) to take their game to the next level, whether it be to compete in the real USDGC or the handicapped version USDGC ( a whole different debate) or The PDGA Championship at the IDGC in Appling. But if nothing else one man and woman will be able to say with out argument they are the Georgia Disc Golf Champion, and then so on for lower divisions. I'm looking for your input and ideas on the best way to handle qualifying for this event. Should we base it on ratings and only invite players with the best ratings in the state or should we team up with tournament directors around the state and invite the top finishers at each tournament. I favor working with TD's around the state and would like to see $1 to $2 dollars from each players registration go to the Georgia Disc Golf Championship™ as a way to beef up the payout. I think this will be a great way to not only market the event but to also increase the number of players that participate in the selected tournaments. Should the event be exclusive to Ga players or should we open it up to those outside the state? Should we reserve spots for the top touring Pro players so that we can have the best of the best compete at this event or just limit it to our GA PRO's? Of should we identify other state Champs and invite them? Lots of things to consider. I hope you are as excited about this project as I am. Please let your ideas and opinions fly here, I'll do my best to take it all in.
IMPRESARIO
Pro Plastic

Re: Georgia Disc Golf Championships™

Postby Wookie » Thu May 19, 2011 10:28 am

Not to rain on your parade but doesn't John Nisewander run this event up at Toccoa or has he given up the reins and is letting someone else run the action? It was usually an event in the fall I believe.
Use the "force" only for good, never for evil

PDGA 24474
ADGO 127
Wookie
Champion Plastic

Postby Funky Bobby J » Thu May 19, 2011 10:57 am

I think that John is out of the scene. They did not have a State championship last year.
Living in the United States where the hottest European import is Plutocracy...
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby Mike D » Thu May 19, 2011 12:15 pm

Sounds a lot like the "Southern National" events.

They take a dollar or two from each event and have a championship at the end of the year.

They break theirs out into Pro & Am divisions, because no Am in their right mind is going to pay to play against the Pros if they do not have a chance of winning.

Check out their website SNDG.ORG for some info.
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby luke » Thu May 19, 2011 3:44 pm

When/if we have another middle georgia championship, I think it would be pretty cool to pay the winner's way to get into the State 'ship.
luke
Star Plastic

Postby Wookie » Thu May 19, 2011 4:14 pm

I forgot that they didn't have it last year.
Use the "force" only for good, never for evil

PDGA 24474
ADGO 127
Wookie
Champion Plastic

Postby Funky Bobby J » Thu May 19, 2011 4:42 pm

Too much spiked birthday cake will do that to you...
Living in the United States where the hottest European import is Plutocracy...
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby IMPRESARIO » Thu May 19, 2011 4:49 pm

Mike D wrote:Sounds a lot like the "Southern National" events.

They take a dollar or two from each event and have a championship at the end of the year.

They break theirs out into Pro & Am divisions, because no Am in their right mind is going to pay to play against the Pros if they do not have a chance of winning.

Check out their website SNDG.ORG for some info.

Exactly! Looks like were on the same page. I checked with Brian Graham and it is okay for the GDGC to cover the costs for both Pros and Ams to participate in other tournaments. I would say the USDGC would be a slam dunk but I don't like that its every other year. We may instead send people to the new PDGA Championship in Augusta. No decison has been made and its certainly open for discussion. This tournament is to serve the GA Disc Golfers so what "they" want means everything. At the moment I think we will host all divisions including Juniours with the exception of Rec. As a predominantly Rec player, I don't think we should be included in GDGC, it will if nothing else motivate Rec players to move up to Intermediate. ( I'm sure there is an argument for including Rec and I'm open to it.) I think the focus should be on the Pro and upper Am divisions. My understanding has always been that Novice is for the "I'll try it out player", Rec is for the "learning the rules and how to correctly play in a tournament", Int is where the competition starts, and so on up the ladder. We will include Masters and Grand Masters divisions and even Legend if we have any but I haven't seen any so far. And with all that being said we also will want to include all the TD's of supporting tournaments. So there maybe a special tourney for them unless they qualify (which most will) to participate in another division. Were open for ideas...lets hear them.
IMPRESARIO
Pro Plastic

Return to Q & A