New course is here near Gainesville N.GA Canopy Tours DGC

Questions & Answers

Moderator: ADGO BOD

New course is here near Gainesville N.GA Canopy Tours DGC

Postby jritger » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:09 am

Keith Johnson and I spent yesterday flagging a new course design that will be @ North Georgia Canopy Tours near Gainesville, GA (http://northgeorgiacanopytours.com/)

This course should end up being sweet as they are doing it right with heavy cutting to produce valid fairways. The course will have an advanced/pro level layout and a rec level layout. Innova baskets & concrete teepads. The long layout as marked yesterday is ~7,500' par 63. Tons of elevation change, lots of downhill shots, very nice setting.

They are moving fast and the course should be opening by Spring 2011. Look for an event in the April/May timeframe. It will be $5 per day to play with monthly/annual passes available. Awesome facilities on site include the zip-lining, clubhouse with retails/food/restrooms, camping area, grilling area and more.
jritger

Re: New course coming near Gainesville

Postby Rubiks » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:21 am

About a 90 minute haul from Downtown, FWIW. Keep me posted, especially if someone can snag some pics.
Support Collegiate Disc Golf

National Collegiate Disc Golf Championships
Hippodrome Disc Golf Complex
April 12-15, 2012 in North Augusta, SC
Rubiks
Pro Plastic

Postby Jaronshaffer » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:25 am

Thanks guys, appreciate your work
Jaronshaffer
Barney

Postby jritger » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:03 pm

About a 90 minute haul from Downtown, FWIW. Keep me posted, especially if someone can snag some pics.

Less actually, took me just over an hour.

A few photos: http://imgur.com/a/HVpks/all The building is an old chicken house, there will be a hole inside.
jritger

Postby Funky Bobby J » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:01 am

jritger wrote:

A few photos: http://imgur.com/a/HVpks/all The building is an old chicken house, there will be a hole inside.

The wife and kids have been dying to try zip-lining - sounds like a fun afternoon and well worth the trip. We'll definitely be checking the facilities out once it is in!!!
Living in the United States where the hottest European import is Plutocracy...
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby soupdude62 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:49 pm

Cool,
Only 29 minutes from my house. :)
I'm ready to start throwing now.
Had back surgury in Sept. :shock:
soupdude62
DX Plastic

Postby Cha Ching » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:17 pm

soupdude62 wrote:Cool,
Only 29 minutes from my house. :)
I'm ready to start throwing now. Had back surgury in Sept. :shock:

SWEET! :mrgreen:
Team Greenhill Woods
Cha Ching
Pro Plastic

Postby richardhead » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:11 pm

Is this the zipline place in Lula? If so, it's only 5 minutes from my G-Maw's place. Wife and I did the zipline tour, it was really cool! Can't wait for this one.
Jay Phillips
<EAT MY SKAT>
richardhead
Star Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:28 am

richardhead wrote:Is this the zipline place in Lula? If so, it's only 5 minutes from my G-Maw's place. Wife and I did the zipline tour, it was really cool! Can't wait for this one.

Yes it is.
Father of Future World Champion Lorelei Johnson #13697
keith johnson

Postby billnchristy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:06 pm

jritger wrote:

That sounds great, thanks for thinking outside the box.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby djester » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:26 pm

Looks like thinking inside of a box to me.... (at least the chicken shack hole) :P

Can't wait to see the finshed results
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby jritger » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:41 pm

Update on this course: We did the final walkthrough last weekend. The course is 90% cleared and looking fantastic. Innova baskets have arrived and been assembled and most teepads are in. The course will have two sets of concrete pads with a few holes having fly pads on wooden frames. The course is opening next weekend, April 9th.

Note -- It's very muddy and a bit rough given the recent construction and rain, so recommend visiting after a dry spell, but this course will mature very nicely. Think ERP when it was new.

Approximate distances:
short pads (rec level) -- 5,300
long pads (blue level, pros will shred) -- 7,200
Par 61

Also -- it's on private property and is pay to play. I believe it's $5 per day with monthly/annual options available. Pay inside the main building.
jritger

Postby Mike D » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:21 am

Got this today....

Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby crguanaco7 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:18 pm

info on camping?
crguanaco7
DX Plastic

Postby BradT » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:11 am

Played the course yesterday with 7 others. Great job John and Keith. It's a bit raw right now but still a lot of fun to play. Are there any thoughts of putting something on the wood platforms you tee off on some holes? Could get a little slick.

Loved the chicken coop hole. We all emptied our bags trying to get to the basket without hitting the roof. Wish I could throw a roller.

Will definitely be playing this one some more.
BradT
Barney

Postby keith johnson » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:37 pm

Yes - there will be rubber matting for the deck teepads down the road. Glad you had a good time playing it and also in understanding that it is a work in progress that will improve over time.
I hope you and the crew will come back and see the improvements. (maybe you'll come back for the first doubles in May)

Just got back from spending a few hours trimming up foliage on 8 holes - after meeting with them for over an hour lining up the exciting announcements which follow.

Very exciting news and info will be posted here as well as in the NEW course thread for the complex coming soon.

They offer Monthly ($20) and Annual passes ($60) for those who wish to play the course more often that will save on the $5 per day course fee.

They opened the course on April 9th which coincided with the start of their busier Zipline season and also while I wasn't able to be there helping with trimming the new spring growth. (The course was designed and cleared during the wintertime and the guides - which have have done a TON of work - are just mostly learning about Disc Golf and they are VERY excited about the course and are now playing on a regular basis when their tours are done for the day.)
They also now have a setup with Georgia Power to deliver mulch to be used on the fairways for the wooded holes, and I also will be there more often now going forward and will keep the fairways sides clear as well as they will mow the grass on a regular basis.

Exciting News Part 1) Doubles will be taking place EVERY 3rd SUNDAY year round starting on MAY 15th - No greens fees for Annual Pass holders!

Start times will be at 2PM in Daylight Savings Time (Mid MAR-OCT) and at Noon in the non-Daylight Savings Time part of the year (NOV-Mid MAR).
We will park at the side of the parking lot by the practice basket and will meet at the tables on the dock.

There are restrooms in the main building next to the meeting area along with refreshments/icecream products for sale and they will also stock discs with their logo and bags. There will also be a permanent soda machine along with water station (during doubles) on the Chicken coop hole.

They will offer Rustic camping and teepees (with electric) for overnight visits projected to be starting later in May and there will be a total of 20 Rustic camping spots (holds 1 larger tent with up to 4 people inside) and 10 Teepees from 18 feet (Sleeps 2) to 26 feet (with 2 Queen beds) when the project is completed later in the summer. There is also a restroom/shower area bathhouse building with water for the camping area that is almost finished.

Exciting News Part 2) A Bonus GSSevenS Event will be taking place on OCT 15th and 16th, 2011Info will be posted soon about the Bonus Event. The complex will also be the hostof the first GSSS Event in 2012 in MARCH!

Course directions and address here: http://northgeorgiacanopytours.com/directions.html - It is around an hour from ITP and around 1&1/2 from most any area near I-285. Less than 45 minutes from Athens or Blairsville as they are right off US 129 / US 23.
And the good part for me personally is it is the closest GSSS spot except for Wills Park - as it is only 1 hour and 20 minutes from my house. :mrgreen:

More info will be posted on the Course thread when the Course thread becomes available.
keith johnson

Re: New course is here near Gainesville N.GA Canopy Tours DG

Postby heartman » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:04 pm

Sounds awesome. Can't wait to get up there and check it out!
McCurry Action - Sundays @ 10am

Athens Disc Golf on Facebook: Group and Page

Fayette County Disc Golf Club on Facebook and Disc Golf Scene
heartman
DX Plastic

Postby soupdude62 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:50 am

I agree with Brad T, course will be awesome, it's just raw right now. I will be getting the annual pass as it is only 15 min from my house. Great job John and Keith.
soupdude62
DX Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:58 pm

soupdude62 wrote:I agree with Brad T, course will be awesome, it's just raw right now. I will be getting the annual pass as it is only 15 min from my house. Great job John and Keith.

Good to know - and after yesterday's trimming the course is already 50% better than it was on SAT the 23rd.
Once the rubber mats are on the decks and the trees get planted where all the flags are on Holes 6 and 7 it will be even a better course - and I'm going to be sure to keep working with them on keeping the regular maintenance going somehow during their busy season evne if i'm going up there one night a week after work.

I want to see this become the best PERMANENT course in GA and I believe when all is said and done it will be just that. And if all goes well with the 18 - they have agreed in principle to expand to 27 holes with a loop of 9 with even more elevation changes and bringing the pond behind 5's tee into play that would start after current Hole 9 so that you could play 2 different 18's or 27 holes.

Keep the 3rd Sunday of every month open everyone!!

Keith
keith johnson

Postby BradT » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:34 am

I will be back up there this weekend. Plan to buy an annual pass as well. When we checked in, a few more of the staff besides who was behind the counter came out to talk disc golf. You're right, they're very excited about it.

Will definitely be at Sunday doubles as well. I will try and bring a few others along.
BradT
Barney

Postby richardhead » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:16 am

I'll be playing the course for the first time Friday afternoon. I can't wait. I'll be purchasing that yearly pass too!
Jay Phillips
<EAT MY SKAT>
richardhead
Star Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:13 am

Anyone that purchases an Annual Pass will obviously NOT have to pay greens fees when the Doubles action or the GSSS Event in OCT takes place and will only have to sign the waiver once. :mrgreen:

Hopefully the storms that went through GA last evening didn't cause any issues to the complex.

Jay,
Please let me know your thoughts after you play, keeping in mind the issues mentioned above that are still to come (mostly trees to be planted on the now open holes) and the completion of the mulching on fairways and wider clearing of the greens on some of the holes - which will be completed in the next few months.
keith johnson

Postby Wookie » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:14 am

I can't wait to see the new track. I think we are going to try and get up there on the 6th with a small group.
Use the "force" only for good, never for evil

PDGA 24474
ADGO 127
Wookie
Champion Plastic

Postby Rubiks » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:02 pm

Went up there today and played a couple rounds. Great work Keith and Ritger on the design. The elevation changes are no joke, I think this course is actually more work to play than White Oak. Any chance on installing some stairs up to 16's tee?

The thing this course needs the most right now is people playing. I didn't see another soul playing golf in the four hours I was there (granted it was 11-3 on a Thursday). Some foot traffic is needed to keep spiderwebs off of the baskets and to thin out the rough, which is still very thick in some spots. I was expecting some muddy spots after the storm we had last night, but I showed up around 11 this morning and had absolutely no issues with it whatsoever.
Support Collegiate Disc Golf

National Collegiate Disc Golf Championships
Hippodrome Disc Golf Complex
April 12-15, 2012 in North Augusta, SC
Rubiks
Pro Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:37 am

There are going to be stairs at that point soon - Kirk had the materials in the back of his truck when I was there on SUNDAY.

Keep in mind this is a work in progress that went from design in JAN - to clearing from JAN thru MAR - to opening up on APRIL 9th (they chose the date to try and grab spring breakers and the collegiate golfers that were coming to Augusta for the college championships to come check the place out) knowing it wouldn't be 100% ready and knowing that we had asked them to wait until more finalized clearing could be done, trees planted where the flags are on 5 and 6, rubber mats on the decks, greens to be more cleared and groomed, etc to be completed to make it worth someone's time and money to travel to to play.

I'm encouraged that everyone that has posted here and on Discgolfcoursereview seem to understand that and still seem to like the design and can envision what it will look like when the project is further along.
With the multiple pin placements some pins are also NOT in places right now that John and I had asked them to be until other areas could be more cleaned out, but that is easily remedied when I have the opportunity to go up there before the first doubles on the 15th. The multiple pins and pads also makes it worth getting the annual pass for as the pins will move around regularly (not all long or all short, but keeping a good mixture) making it a different but enjoyable experience every time you visit.

Thanks for the feedback - and now that the course has it's own spot on the message board under Regional Courses - I will copy these posts to a thread there so it will be easier to locate for people looking to talk about the course.

Someone had mentioned somewhere in discussing this course that it would be cool if the holes had names - they do have names that I have talked with them about using when the permanent signs are done later on (Not 100% sure if they will use some, all, or come up with others, but these pretty much fit the course in my mind).
Here are some of the hole names:

1 - Down the chute
4 - Throwing Down the River (with apologies to Ike and Tina) :mrgreen:
5 - The Windmill of my Mind (keep in mind this hole will eventually have 2 entrance alleys to the basket when the trees all all in)
6 - Windmills Revenge (keep in mind that the entire right side of the fairway to the turn will have trees on it also making it more of 60-100 foot wide tunnel in the future)
8 - Over the valley and through the woods
10 - The Mountain Hole - (you can see the mountains in the distance standing on the tee pad)
11 - Ain't Nothing but a Hound Dog(leg)
12 - Don't be Chicken!
15 - The Hills are Alive
17 - "S" CUZE ME!
18 - Up the Alley

Course thread located here: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=3303 - Please post future comments there to keep them all in one location.

Keith
keith johnson

Postby keith johnson » Sun May 08, 2011 10:08 pm

Reminder - Starting 1 week from today:

Doubles will be taking place EVERY 3rd SUNDAY year round starting on MAY 15th - No greens fees for Annual Pass holders!

Start times will be at 2PM in Daylight Savings Time (Mid MAR-OCT) and at Noon in the non-Daylight Savings Time part of the year (NOV-Mid MAR).
We will park at the side of the parking lot by the practice basket and will meet at the tables on the dock.

There are restrooms in the main building next to the meeting area along with refreshments/ice cream products for sale and they will also stock discs with their logo and bags.
There will also be a permanent soda machine along with water station (during doubles) on the Chicken coop hole.
keith johnson

Postby richardhead » Mon May 09, 2011 5:37 pm

I know that myself, Ryan Adams, and Fred Williams will definitely be there Sunday!
Jay Phillips
<EAT MY SKAT>
richardhead
Star Plastic

Postby Steve Adams » Wed May 11, 2011 12:42 pm

keith johnson wrote:Reminder - Starting 1 week from today:

Doubles will be taking place EVERY 3rd SUNDAY year round starting on MAY 15th - No greens fees for Annual Pass holders!

What's the buy-in
PDGA# 34138
ADGO# 134
Steve Adams
Pro Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Wed May 11, 2011 11:00 pm

Cost will be $15 for all in if you have a pass, $20 without a pass.

$11 will be minimum with pass, $16 without.

$2 ace, 2 each $1 CTP's
keith johnson

Postby keith johnson » Sat May 14, 2011 10:59 pm

Course is looking fantastic - and starting to come together.

All 20+ of the holes for the trees on 5 and 6 have been dug, and 6 trees are already in the ground!!

During the 10 hours I was there working on the course today 21 people including 2 families came through playing - people from Florida came up to play and do the Zip line and 10 people were there for the first time after hearing good reviews about the course, so the word is starting to get out. The couple that had annual passes that came through near the end of the day were very impressed with the progress being made on the course.

All of the fairways have been trimmed for the spring and summer season with ceilings to die for on a wooded course with elevation changes.

Anyone who played the course before today will be pleasantly surprised when they next visit - as it looks TOTALLY different down the fairways now.

To everyone who is not playng the DiscCaddie Event at ERP tomorrow, please come out for the first Monthly doubles at the course - and check out the next Georgia course to climb the ranks of the DiscGolfCourseReview countdown - as the management is behind Disc Golf 100% - and with dual concrete tees on most holes and multiple pin locations and with the possible addition of 9 other holes to give the course even more variety, this course has all the makings to be the best Permanent course in the state!

See you on the course,

Keith
keith johnson

Postby billnchristy » Sun May 15, 2011 6:24 pm

We went out and played today after my parents went home and we enjoyed the hell out of it. Great job guys.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Return to Q & A