Tee Signs

Cobb County - Marietta, Ga

Moderators: kurt, Lewis, ADGO BOD

Tee Signs

Postby Duke » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:41 am

This is more a community question..Call it a reality check.
I was bored and I put together a few hole signs. If I finish them, and provide them to whoever, what are the chances of raising funds to get them printed and installed? I'll help with time and effort but I certainly cannot afford wood/ plastic /aluminum /concrete / or the printing fees. I left a "sponsored by:" box at the bottom. Perhaps local businesses would chip in for the sign (each one can't be that much) in exchange for having their logo on it.

Anyway I posted an example JPG here. *Edit.. They seem to have removed my image so I posted it somewhere else.. See my next post for link.

Drafted from web photos, memory, and footage is from the score card posted on http://www.dgcoursereview.com.
Last edited by Duke on Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Duke
Barney

Re: Signs?

Postby Redan Randy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:50 am

It's a little 8-bitty. Kinda like the original Grand Theft Auto....
Redan IS God's Country!!
Redan Randy
Star Plastic

Re: Signs?

Postby Duke » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:25 pm

Redan Randy wrote:It's a little 8-bitty. Kinda like the original Grand Theft Auto....

So? You wanted a Monet? I know they are not a work of art.. but they convey the basic information necessary in a tee sign. This is hole X, the basket is somewhere over there, go that way next.
Once I finish the drafts I will put them up for corrections review to add finishing touches like OB/Mandos. Here's a few more samples for you art critics...

http://www.mindspring.com/~johnduke/OP/Draft%204.htm
Duke
Barney

Re: Tee Signs

Postby Duke » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:23 am

So, here are the completed 18.

I know there are errors, as mentioned I am working off of shoddy memory and so so photos..I know its not especially pretty, I'm not Michelangelo.If anyone wants to do some markups on these please do so and post them here, I will make corrections.
Even if these never get posted up as true tee signs the electronic document can still serve some purpose on web boards such as this one to help newcomers. If there is positive feedback I will create a similar one for the new course upon its completion.

Duke.
Complete 18 link
http://www.mindspring.com/~johnduke/OP/Oregon%20Park%20Holes.htm
Duke
Barney

Postby BP » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:02 am

Those are great! I'm not sure how quickly we could have them done, but if we had the templates we'd be 1/2 way home!

Feel free to send me samples and I'll see what costs may be...

disccaddie@gmail.com

Thanks! Bob

Duke wrote:So, here are the completed 18.

I know there are errors, as mentioned I am working off of shoddy memory and so so photos..I know its not especially pretty, I'm not Michelangelo.If anyone wants to do some markups on these please do so and post them here, I will make corrections.
Even if these never get posted up as true tee signs the electronic document can still serve some purpose on web boards such as this one to help newcomers. If there is positive feedback I will create a similar one for the new course upon its completion.

Duke.
Complete 18 link
http://www.mindspring.com/~johnduke/OP/Oregon%20Park%20Holes.htm
Bob Pressley
PDGA # 42766
http://www.disccaddie.com
Marietta Square
BP
Pro Plastic

Postby Lewis » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:29 am

I like the concept, but most of the trees are in the wrong places. If you look at the course with Google Maps, that might help you line things up better.
Lewis
Champion Plastic

Postby Duke » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:37 pm

New Revision. PDF Format this time for a little less 8-bit appearance.
http://www.mindspring.com/~johnduke/OP/ ... %201.5.pdf

Changes
Revised holes for accuracy based on a walk through last week.
Moved sponsor box from outside frame to inner.
Added some sample logo's just to see how a sponsor might fit on the page.
Added rough "Oregon Park Disc Golf Course" to all signs.
Added new Hole 3 -- Does anyone know the footage?

Again, if anyone wants to electronically mark these up where I have made errors please do so.

Duke
Duke
Barney

Postby Lewis » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:25 pm

Yeah that's much more like it. If you're interested, you can find our list of sponsors on our club's website. The sponsorships are going to apply to the new layout, though, rather than this one, so you may want to hold off on messing with that until after we hear back from our course designer on his latest plans. Don't scrap what you've done, though, since it's a useful concept. :thumbup:

By the way, are you a member of the club? I don't know your forum name vs. your real name.
Lewis
Champion Plastic

Postby Mike D » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:58 pm

If you are going to do tee signs for Oregon Park, I suggest you do them on eraserboard.

That way the following week when they change the whole course (again) you can just erase what you have and draw a new hole layout.

LOL

:lol:
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby Lewis » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:46 am

That's why we've never yet put up tee signs, Mike. :wink:
Lewis
Champion Plastic

Postby Duke » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:38 pm

New template time. Before I churn out a bunch, how do we like my latest 8-bit render?

http://www.mindspring.com/~johnduke/OP/ ... mplate.pdf

Note the coloring in the footage circles, Red Circle/Silver Text. Red Circle/Yellow Text...and so on. This way regardless what pad this sign is printed for, it will work for either.
Duke
Barney

Postby Rubiks » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:34 am

Duke wrote:New template time. Before I churn out a bunch, how do we like my latest 8-bit render?

Note the coloring in the footage circles, Red Circle/Silver Text. Red Circle/Yellow Text...and so on. This way regardless what pad this sign is printed for, it will work for either.

I know it's some extra work, but I think tee-specific signage would be best. That was you have no doubt which tee you are playing. And I believe I heard you mention this already on Sunday but keep in mind that anything yellow/gold will fade in the sun, and design accordingly. Otherwise I think they look good, I can't wait until they're in and the course is done! Great work, Duke.
Support Collegiate Disc Golf

National Collegiate Disc Golf Championships
Hippodrome Disc Golf Complex
April 12-15, 2012 in North Augusta, SC
Rubiks
Pro Plastic

Postby GTengineer10 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:18 am

Rubiks wrote:
Duke wrote:New template time. Before I churn out a bunch, how do we like my latest 8-bit render?

I know it's some extra work, but I think tee-specific signage would be best. That was you have no doubt which tee you are playing. And I believe I heard you mention this already on Sunday but keep in mind that anything yellow/gold will fade in the sun, and design accordingly. Otherwise I think they look good, I can't wait until they're in and the course is done! Great work, Duke.

I don't think tee specific is necessary. I believe the teepads will be marked. If the teepad is marked I don't think there should be any confusion. Even though it isn't much more work to make the two signs indicate whichtee pad they are.
GTengineer10
Barney

Postby Lewis » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:19 am

I don't know what par will be on all of the holes, but it may be different from blue to gold than from red to silver. Take the hole that combines old 5/old 6. Seems to me that the gold basket would be a par 4 and the silver a par 3. I could be wrong, but it might be good to incorporate multiple listings of par for each hole. We will of course have to hear from Kevin on this point. Also be sure to make room on each sign for the sponsors, and be aware that these are roughly 11x15 signs (Craig can give you the exact dimensions).
Lewis
Champion Plastic

Postby Duke » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:03 pm

Lewis wrote:I don't know what par will be on all of the holes, but it may be different from blue to gold than from red to silver. Take the hole that combines old 5/old 6. Seems to me that the gold basket would be a par 4 and the silver a par 3. I could be wrong, but it might be good to incorporate multiple listings of par for each hole. We will of course have to hear from Kevin on this point. Also be sure to make room on each sign for the sponsors, and be aware that these are roughly 11x15 signs (Craig can give you the exact dimensions).

Alright, I can do that.

http://www.mindspring.com/~johnduke/OP/optemplate11x15.pdf

Presented in 11 x 17 (only default paper size I had).
Removed some of the frames
Added distinct Gold and Silver Pars. Also, as colors fade it will be possible to tell what is what.
Added a screenshot of the satellite view
Moved the sponsor box from dead space on the fairway to a banner space at the top.
Duke
Barney

Postby Jaronshaffer » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:55 am

That looks pretty sweet, nice work man
Jaronshaffer
Barney

Postby Duke » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:55 pm

The first official set of the signs are done. They have been printed in 11x15 color and will be installed sometime early next week.
I have compressed them and posted them on http://www.dgcoursereview.com.

Big thanks to Bob and Lewis for their help and encouragement with this project.
Duke
Barney

Postby Rubiks » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:56 am

Those look good. Thanks for all the hard work, Duke.
Support Collegiate Disc Golf

National Collegiate Disc Golf Championships
Hippodrome Disc Golf Complex
April 12-15, 2012 in North Augusta, SC
Rubiks
Pro Plastic

Postby chain-gang » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:31 am

Are you sure the footage is correct on 4 and 16 for blue tees? 4 shows gold 10ft longer than silver, but silver basket is clearly farther than gold. 16 shows silver 34ft longer than gold. These just struck me as mabye the numbers were swapped or something. Mabye its just me, landscapes can be decieving. Great job on the signs though. Everyone who plays the park will appriciate your efforts.
The 2nd is the ONLY amendment that protects the rest!
chain-gang
Barney

Postby Lewis » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:11 pm

chain-gang wrote:Are you sure the footage is correct on 4 and 16 for blue tees? 4 shows gold 10ft longer than silver, but silver basket is clearly farther than gold. 16 shows silver 34ft longer than gold. These just struck me as mabye the numbers were swapped or something. Mabye its just me, landscapes can be decieving. Great job on the signs though. Everyone who plays the park will appriciate your efforts.

Both your eyes and the signs are correct. We just moved the baskets for #4 on Friday, which will make the numbers on the signs reflect reality. #16 still needs to have its baskets swapped, as does #6. Duke went ahead and made the signs reflect what will be the state of the course, rather than the current state, which is changing gradually to meet the original design.
Lewis
Champion Plastic

Postby chain-gang » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:31 pm

Played OP this morning and noticed baskets on hole 5 were moved. If numbers are correct for hole 4 (old 1), then is it going to get a basket move too?
The 2nd is the ONLY amendment that protects the rest!
chain-gang
Barney

Postby BP » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:20 am

Current #4 is not getting a basket swap. All changes to the course have been made as of Sunday night. Now we'll place tee signs as well as additional directional/information signs and evaluate the course.

chain-gang wrote:Played OP this morning and noticed baskets on hole 5 were moved. If numbers are correct for hole 4 (old 1), then is it going to get a basket move too?
Bob Pressley
PDGA # 42766
Marietta Square
BP
Pro Plastic

Postby Rich Meade » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:06 pm

Played OP for the first time today...
It is in dire need of signage...
I dig the holes, and somewhat ok with the layout..but new people on the course have zero chance of finding there way around as it is right now.
I don't think a little "next tee" note on the tee pad signs is enough...
PDGA#: 48326
Rich Meade
DX Plastic

Postby Lewis » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Craig D. has just recently finished making a set of wooden "next tee" arrow signs for the course. We should be putting them out soon. We have also noticed that some of the laminated printed pages are being stolen from the wooden tee pad signs. We assume this destructive, juvenile behavior is being committed by the same people who are writing unsavory graffiti on the signs. At some point in the near future we may be able to get the wooden signs stained the same color as the big sign at the main park entrance, and in the long term we may develop a more permanent way to affix pages to the wooden tee pad signs. Until then, be assured that we're working on the signage, since we know it's hard to navigate without more and better signage out there. If you want to print a map, visit http://forum.cobbdg.com, and browse to the Oregon Park Course Maps thread in the Documents board on the forum. Open the most recent image in that thread, dated August 11th. If you print that, it will help you get around.

We also have plans to move the kiosk down at what is now hole #15 (formerly hole #1) up to the current hole #1 at the Swingtime building. Once that is moved, we'll be able to post maps and announcements at hole #1 of the course.

Thanks for the input! :)
Lewis
Champion Plastic

Postby BP » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:49 pm

We're certainly working to make those additions ASAP (course donations are "thin" to say the least), but zero chance is a bit strong. You only need to play it once to figure it out as only a few holes are tough to find IF you pay attention to the tee signs directions (and there isn't a group in front to watch). Most baskets have a path already burned into the ground taking you to the next tee pad(s).

The directional signs, tee pad markers & relocated/revised kiosk are all goals to be completed before the fall season is over.

Rich Meade wrote:Played OP for the first time today...
It is in dire need of signage...
I dig the holes, and somewhat ok with the layout..but new people on the course have zero chance of finding there way around as it is right now.
I don't think a little "next tee" note on the tee pad signs is enough...
Bob Pressley
PDGA # 42766
Marietta Square
BP
Pro Plastic

Postby i2rt » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:47 am

I wonder how many of the people complaining about the new layout have done any work or contributed any money to it's completion. If that is you...you are part of the problem not the solution.

With that said, and with OP technically being my home course, I am going to make a donation to the club to go towards course work.

BP, can I sent it to you or is there a club paypal account I can use?

BTW, Thanks to the club for all the hard work.
Bill Thornton
PDGA# 20980
i2rt
DX Plastic

Postby Lewis » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:27 am

Bob P. could take your money, or you could hand it directly to Bob Williams, our treasurer, as well. Otherwise if you prefer to use Paypal, the club has a place where you can make a paypal donation on our website. Go to http://cobbdiscgolf.com/membership.html and click on the "Donate" button under "Friends of the Park Donation." You can enter any dollar amount you like for your donation. And thanks for doing it!

By the way, for those who don't know, Bill T. has been one of the busiest and most generous helpers during our workdays. Big thumbs up to him! :thumbup:
Lewis
Champion Plastic

Postby i2rt » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:27 pm

Lewis wrote:Bob P. could take your money, or you could hand it directly to Bob Williams, our treasurer, as well. Otherwise if you prefer to use Paypal, the club has a place where you can make a paypal donation on our website. Go to http://cobbdiscgolf.com/membership.html and click on the "Donate" button under "Friends of the Park Donation." You can enter any dollar amount you like for your donation. And thanks for doing it!

By the way, for those who don't know, Bill T. has been one of the busiest and most generous helpers during our workdays. Big thumbs up to him! :thumbup:

Actually Lewis, I have done little to nothing to help get the work done at the course. I have unfortunately been out of town for most work days. I can however contribute some money right now and promise to be available in the future for work days.

I will be in town the next 2 days and will make sure that a donation comes your way.

I really appreciate all the time and hard work that people have put into the improvements. I see nothing but good things in the future for OP and the CDGC.
Bill Thornton
PDGA# 20980
i2rt
DX Plastic

Postby Lewis » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:31 am

I must have you confused with someone else, Bill, but I do remember your name next to generous donations to the disc golf community recently. :)
Lewis
Champion Plastic

Return to Oregon Park