Work day anyone?

Fayette County - Fayetteville, Ga

Moderators: SlingShot, ADGO BOD

Work day anyone?

Postby IcebergSlimD » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:44 pm

Anyone up for a work day to do some general maintenance on the course?
IcebergSlimD
DX Plastic

Re: Work day anyone?

Postby mrpbody33 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:42 am

What did you have in mind?
Barry "Mr. P'body" Arnson
PDGA# 28128
ADGO# 133
http://discgolfatlanta.com/
mrpbody33

Postby IcebergSlimD » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:47 am

I'm thinking we finally get some next tee signs, better mando signs and redo the paths from hole 1 to hole 2. Plus, there are lots of fallen branches and stuff throughout the course that could use a nice relocating. We've tried to work with the county on getting a bridge put up on hole 8; however, they required that it meet several building codes that are very impractical so that had to be abandoned.
IcebergSlimD
DX Plastic

Postby dandaman » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:42 pm

IcebergSlimD wrote:We've tried to work with the county on getting a bridge put up on hole 8; however, they required that it meet several building codes that are very impractical so that had to be abandoned.

Ahhh yes the needed bridge on #8. I raised that issues last year with one of the directors of the park (can't remember her name) and in so many words she said that while the county/city/municipality could not provide the bridge the local golfers could...allthough a sign stating that people should walk to the road instead of trying to cross the ditch might be able to provided by the county/city/municipality in lieu of the bridge...

How hard is it to get a basic foot bridge across that ditch?

About $60-80 worth of pressured treated lumber and some very basic carpentry skills and you guys would have your bridge.
Johnson! Keep an eye on that Kherplakistan situation...
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby IcebergSlimD » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:08 pm

We were told that it would have to be accessible by people with disabilities, including wheelchairs. That along with the possibility of having to put up a rail due to the ever increasing depth of the ditch led to us just abandoning the whole idea. Someone did put one up but the county took it down. I understand where they are coming from though. If someone falls of the bridge, they are not going to sue the disc golfers. The county will be held responsible. As a county employee, I do not want that to happen.
IcebergSlimD
DX Plastic

Postby dandaman » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:45 pm

So I guess then it is better that people continue to climb in/out of it/and/or jump over the ditch risking injury and causing further erosion instead of tackling the issue at hand? As you have stated the there is an "ever increasing depth" to the ditch.

I am thankful that the county has so graciosly allowed disc golf to exist there but it amazes me that this issue of a bridge needing to be there is so easily ignored and passed off because of building codes/accessability/money or whatever else is the flavor of the month.

Might as well put it off for at least the next two years. That way the dire would be so necessary that the bridge needed will be twice as big and cost twice as much!

Elephant in the room!
Johnson! Keep an eye on that Kherplakistan situation...
dandaman
Star Plastic

Return to McCurry Park