New stuff??

Cherokee County - Canton, GA

Moderators: rjohnston, daustin, ADGO BOD

New stuff??

Postby Corndawg13 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:51 pm

I played with Cody and Bob Johnson today and they were sayng there have been some changes at Sequoyah. Is that true? They mentioned a new hole 15?
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

Forsyth County Disc Golf Organization President
http://www.facebook.com/FCDGO
COME TO CP DUBS SUNDAYS AT 2!!!

If I don't respond to a post in due time, please message me on Facebook or call/text me, thanks!
Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Re: New stuff??

Postby Jay » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:24 pm

Corndawg13 wrote: Is that true?

Yes

Corndawg13 wrote: They mentioned a new hole 15?

I don't know, did they? :)
Jay

....and on the eighth day, God created the U.S. Marines!
Jay
Star Plastic

Postby Corndawg13 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:05 pm

So, what is the new stuff???
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

If I don't respond to a post in due time, please message me on Facebook or call/text me, thanks!
Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Postby CorneliousVanderbildt » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:50 am

They are building a new ride. You get to pretend that you are about to play, when all of the sudden a group of 6 people show up, out of nowhere, out of turn, and start playing on the hole you were about to throw. It's going to be awesome.
"Lame inside joke"
CorneliousVanderbildt
DX Plastic

Postby richardhead » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:19 am

6 people playing Sequoyah? That's funny.
Jay Phillips
<EAT MY SKAT>
richardhead
Star Plastic

Postby Corndawg13 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:19 am

right on, so does anyone really know??
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Postby Shoe » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:58 am

Ka like the wind
Shoe
DX Plastic

Postby Redan Randy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Redan IS God's Country!!
Redan Randy
Star Plastic

Postby provino » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:53 am

I always thought something was fundamentally wrong with the Universe.
provino
DX Plastic

Postby TokioJason » Sat May 08, 2010 9:06 pm

What could u even do to 15 to change it?
TokioJason
Pro Plastic

Postby haze » Sat May 08, 2010 11:01 pm

TokioJason wrote:What could u even do to 15 to change it?

You could renumber it to 16, so it follows the new 15.
haze
Barney

Postby thedude » Sun May 09, 2010 6:05 pm

Or put a bridge in the fairway
thedude
Barney

Postby dandaman » Thu May 13, 2010 10:50 pm

What's wrong with 15 anyway? Has the pond grown over the walking path or something? Besides the obvious hazard of walkers walking down blindly along the pathway I don't remember this hole being such a big deal. I've read some of the DGCReviews and I honestly don't understand what all the fuss is about. Now it's been at least a year since I've played it but I don't remember any of the holes being invalid. In fact for the amount of space available this course is layed out rather well.
Johnson! Keep an eye on that Kherplakistan situation...
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby Jay » Fri May 14, 2010 9:52 am

Nothing is wrong with hole 15, but they did place a small bridge over the creek on the left side.

What we are doing is adding a new hole just after hole 14 so you don't have to walk back down the fairway to get to the next hole.

This new hole will be the new 15 as we are removing 17 because its in the way of baseball/football and all the kids that hang out there.

Old 15 will become 16, old 16 will become 17, and 18 will get a longer pro tee pad on the left side. As you walk up from old 16/new 17 you will have the option to play the pro pad on the left or the Am pad further up on the right. This will help with flow and the chance of hitting kids with a disk or them walking off with yours.....

Steve Nelson has been working extremely hard on the clearing and has done an awesome job. We are close and looking to get together in the next month for a work day to finish 15 and add a few more anchors.....Hopefully 18 left, others approved: 18 center

kicking around new pins ideas:
03 deeper maybe a tad left?
06 left by big rock
08 a tad deeper
12 longer pad, just off walking trail (parking lot side), fairway down side of hill annie (Phil Arthur design)
Jay

Jay
Star Plastic

Postby TokioJason » Mon May 17, 2010 2:01 am

I think 6 has enough pins. and i like the idea of a new shot on 12. look foward to what u guys do in the future it has always been a enjoyable course
TokioJason
Pro Plastic

Postby thedude » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:48 pm

Any one have any idea what time the power master is going to open and close the park entrance?
thedude
Barney

Postby Jay » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:24 pm

Okay, we have renumbered the back six holes and placed directionals to guide the 1st time Sac players and help them get through the back without getting off track.

Over the last week, we have cleared btwn holes 1 & 12, started clearing for a new Pro tee pad on hole 2, finished clearing for the new long left position on hole 3, finished the clearing for the new 9C (long left) and waiting for the new anchor to arrive, cleared the right and left fairways on hole 12 and also made a Pro tee pad for hole 12 (about 60-70 feet down the walking trail to the right) and cleared out the small pines trees for a slow annie) not sure on the distance just yet but it is a Phil Arthur design....we still have a few more pines to drag out and trim).

As for the Gauntlet (holes 13-18) we have cleared/trimmed the left route down the trail), weedeated the entire landscape, and started clearing for the new 13C (waiting on the anchor to arrive) which is further left of 13b. Hole 14 had the fairway defined by removing a few trees down the main fairway, deschulled the front hill side, and also cleared all the briers and pinners on the left side.

Hole 16 (old 15) will get a new anchor for 16c (about 50-60' deeper on the left side of the trail), Hole 18 will also be getting a new tee pad on the left side of the road when walking up from 17.

New benches going in for tee 13 & tee 16. We are pretty stoked about the new additions so come on out and let us know what you think!!!!!

And when we get all that done we will be adding a pin behind 11c into the woods behind the long pin.....wooooo-hooooo!
Jay

Jay
Star Plastic

Postby Big Red » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:59 am

I played five rounds at Sequoyah this week and I am impressed. This course has never interested me that much honestly but the set up this week, with everything long, is changing my mind. I really like the new hole 15 and the new long positions on 3 and 14 especially. Overall the course is far more challenging and it is now not all that easy to score on. In this configuration it is not a deuce or die course anymore for me. I hope you keep it stretched out because it is so much more enjoyable that way and great practice. Really some of the short anchors should just be moved permanently and it would only help things. It looked like you did that on 10 by getting rid of that useless left position if I'm not mistaken. If you have never really thought of Sequoyah as a destination it deserves to be looked at that way now. Thanks to Jay and everyone else for the hard work.
I've got more game than a busted Atari.
Big Red
Champion Plastic

Postby Big Red » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:08 am

Also have you considered a straighter shot on 8 maybe tucked in the shule somewhere behind nine's tee pad? I think 8 is one of the most circus holes out there; the line is legit but you can't see it from the tee and it endes up involving too much luck. Especially for such a crazy short hole. I think we also talked about before the possbility of moving seven's tee pad back and maybe to the left to make this hole a little longer and blind. Just some thoughts.
Big Red
Champion Plastic

Postby Jay » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:31 am

We dug up the old anchors on 3a, 9 short left, and 10 left and reused them for the new holes that u have mentioned. We have anchors on order which will be used for the new 11d, 13c, 15c, and 18b.

Hole 7 does have a hidden second tee pad that we play but yes, we intend to add a new tee pad for this hole to make it a little longer.

As for hole 8 that has been discussed for many years and is a possibility. For now I would recommend throwing to 10b (if nobody is playing it) if the current 8 bores you :) I kind of like that hole as it is short but technical. But an alt pin placement is tough to add with 4,5, and 9's teepads around it. I would like to push it 30' deeper towards tee 5 but.....

Yesterday we finished the new pro tee pad for hole 12...... A Phil Arthur DesignImage
Pro Tee 12: A-258, B-280. We still need to get one more pad for it, and hoping to add a 12c anchor one day soon.

Anyway, thanks for giving us some ideas, feedback and recognizing the hard work. I know Steve is an Animal & its time to head out now to the course & finish cleaning up hole 6 and emptying the trash, start on new 16c, etc....
Jay

Jay
Star Plastic

Postby Dr. Manhattan » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:11 pm

New hole 12 is pretty decent but I think the tee area still needs some work. Nothing serious just a little fine tuning with the grade at the end of the pad.
Dr. Manhattan
DX Plastic

Postby Dr. Manhattan » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:14 pm

Dr. Manhattan wrote:New hole 12 is pretty decent but I think the tee area still needs some work. Nothing serious just a little fine tuning with the grade at the end of the pad.

Also maybe add a second mat so it is longer. Maybe the one that is doing nothing currently near #4 basket.
Dr. Manhattan
DX Plastic

Postby Jay » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:35 pm

Dr. Manhattan wrote:
Dr. Manhattan wrote:New hole 12 is pretty decent but I think the tee area still needs some work. Nothing serious just a little fine tuning with the grade at the end of the pad.

Also maybe add a second mat so it is longer. Maybe the one that is doing nothing currently near #4 basket.

yes, that is the plan. We still need about 2 feet and another mat will fit. Glad you like it.......it will get done soon:)
Jay

Jay
Star Plastic

Postby Dr. Manhattan » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:31 pm

Jay wrote:
Dr. Manhattan wrote:

yes, that is the plan. We still need about 2 feet and another mat will fit. Glad you like it.......it will get done soon:)

Good. Thanks for the work you are getting done out there.
Dr. Manhattan
DX Plastic

Postby Big Red » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:25 am

Who cares if you are the original course designer? The original course design is horrible but Jay and the group have done the best they can to turn it into a playable course. What authority do you have? If I were Jay I would never touch the place again and it can go back to being the complete toilet it was before. Oh and Jay you wonder why I have never helped out, you have your answer; too many people like this left in the game.
Big Red
Champion Plastic

Postby Jay » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:02 pm

Big Red wrote:Who cares if you are the original course designer? The original course design is horrible but Jay and the group have done the best they can to turn it into a playable course. What authority do you have? If I were Jay I would never touch the place again and it can go back to being the complete toilet it was before. Oh and Jay you wonder why I have never helped out, you have your answer; too many people like this left in the game.

Your post probably does not make sense right now for others to read as a post or 2 has been removed....but I will try to help with my opinion.

I feel that we have been able to improve on Sequoyah Park DGC in a more timely manner because the parks department gave control/upkeep of the course to both course designers Richard Johnston and Don Austin. I think we have done well communicating with the course designers over the years as everything is run by them as far as improvements/upgrades. Lots of ideas are discussed and many of them have been implemented..... which is a good thing. Sometimes they are shot down, but the ideas/input from others keep coming and the course designers are very approachable. With such little room to work with on this course, we have to be careful with changes.

About year ago Phil asked for an additional Pro tee pad for hole 12 down the walking trail 70' behind the current tee pad. Three things needed to happen....First the pine saplings on the side of the hill between the parking lot and current hole needed to be removed (something we have done in the past to speed play in a tourney due to people getting them lost), second there are 3 small trees that sit right in front of the "A" position that would need to be removed so that the flight path from this new tee pad would be pure, and the third thing is to get the approval to do this. I discussed with Richard and Don and they both didn't want to remove the 3 trees in front of the "A" pin set that would have given us the line to the "B" position, so we dropped idea at that point.

While getting the course ready for the upcoming DiscCaddie Tourney, Steve and I cleared the new pine saplings along the the side of 12's hill (to speed play in a tourney), up lifted the mature pines, and we found a really nice natural flat spot for a tee that took no work to develop. Steve and I thought this would be a nice Pro tee pad for the "A" position if nothing else. If there is a breakdown in communication on this new tee pad, its dealing with the new saplings that were removed, which Richard and I have discussed via email.

No need for this to get nasty, just have fun, play the course and enjoy disc golf. Remember, you can have 100 "Atta-Boys" but 1 "AweShit" wipes the slate clean!

All the improvements that have been made over the years have been approved by the course designers and these suggestions have come from many people....I'd rather work with Don & Richard then to have to go through the county every single time! Sequoyah Park is a great place to play disc golf.....and it always will be.
Jay

Jay
Star Plastic

Postby rjohnston » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:38 pm

Jay, I deleted my own post and reply to big fred as it really was not contributing to any useful outcome. It was just giving others an opportunity to trash everyone who ever has worked on the course (sorry I started it, my brain fart). My apologies - as I said in my original post you and Steve Nelson are to be commended for your outstanding efforts on the course, just wish I still had the time to make that sort of effort. I thought I would leave Big Fred's reply there, I think his words say enough so I won't add to them.

We will work out our differences - sorry again.
rjohnston
Barney

Postby Funky Bobby J » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:24 pm

Over the last couple of years, the course has improved dramatically. There is only so muuch that you can do with the property. It is a fun place to play - not the most tourney-friendly, but I enjoy the Cold Snake every year. The kids and I really like playing there. Longer is not always better - make sure that roads, walking paths, and parking lots are out of play as much as possible and keep doing what you are doing. You cannot please everyone.

Consider the the usual position on hole 3. For most of us it is a 80% putter or a 60% mid-range - it takes a lot of touch and line (and maybe a little good fortune near the basket). The long position freshens up the hole, but now it is just a mid range - takes less thought (IMO). It is one of my favorite holes in the area - it should be so easy, but the F'up Fairy often visits me on this hole.

Have you guys thought about moving one of the anchors on 14 to the precipice of the drop off about 20' short of where it is now (kind of like hole 1 at Toccoa)?
Living in the United States where the hottest European import is Plutocracy...
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby Big Red » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:46 am

rjohnston wrote:Jay, I deleted my own post and reply to big fred as it really was not contributing to any useful outcome. It was just giving others an opportunity to trash everyone who ever has worked on the course (sorry I started it, my brain fart). My apologies - as I said in my original post you and Steve Nelson are to be commended for your outstanding efforts on the course, just wish I still had the time to make that sort of effort. I thought I would leave Big Fred's reply there, I think his words say enough so I won't add to them.

We will work out our differences - sorry again.

I had another response typed up here but considering you stooped to the level of name calling with "Big Fred," I think your words say enough so I won't add to them.
Big Red
Champion Plastic

Postby rjohnston » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:15 am

Fair enough Big Red, you are right I should not have mongered your handle but that was the least offensive response for me at the time. Let's end this here, no good comes from trashing each other or the course.

Again, glad you like the changes in the course over the years, hope you keep coming out to play. All suggestions for improvements are welcome and will be considered within reason and limitations imposed by the parks department.
rjohnston
Barney

Postby Big Red » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:47 pm

Ok, agree.
Big Red
Champion Plastic

Return to Sequoyah Park