PDGA MONEY

Questions & Answers

Moderator: ADGO BOD

PDGA MONEY

Postby $Dollar$ » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:53 pm

I was reading the PDGA message board when I came across this thread. The thread started bc of the new $10 test to become a certified official. I feel it's worth reading, but if you are like me then it might also make you angry. Where's the money going???

This message from Peter Shive was copied from the board.....

"To J A B

To judge the validity, you need to answer two questions. First, how much money will the PDGA make? Second, does the PDGA need the money?

Last year there were almost 3000 players in NT's and Major events. Probably there were about 1500 unigue entrants, so the PDGA will likely take in about $15,000 from 2011 test takers.

The PDGA is awash in cash. The last report shows a cash position of $751,000, which is $323,000 more than a year earlier. This is so much cash that they are worried about exceeding FDIC limits on bank accounts, and are considering investing PDGA money in stocks and bonds or other outside ventures.

You make the call."

I think Pro Worlds should get more than 10k from the PDGA every year. With this kind of money, the should also be running The PDGA Championship every year!
BAAAAKAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
$Dollar$
Champion Plastic

Re: PDGA MONEY

Postby Big Red » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:08 am

Sad that no one pays attention to what the PDGA does. Here is another great question; how much does EVERYONE individually make that works for the PDGA? We have a right to know but do you know what the executive director makes or anyone else? How much does the marketing director make that seems to only be good for this:

http://whyy.org/blogs/itsourcity/2009/0 ... relations/

How many of you even knew about this? Do you think this makes disc golf look good? For the amount we pay we get nothing in return. How can the word corruption not come to mind?
I've got more game than a busted Atari.
Big Red
Champion Plastic

Postby Lewis » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:44 pm

I was told the other day by someone that the ADGO donated over $10,000 to the PDGA last year. Can someone dispel this rumor?
Lewis
Champion Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:06 am

Lewis wrote:I was told the other day by someone that the ADGO donated over $10,000 to the PDGA last year. Can someone dispel this rumor?

That 10 grand was raised by golfers all over the area over 3-4 years for the Jim Warner course at the IDGC and the "ADGO" donated a portion of monies raised at ADGO Member Events for a few years - probably several hundred dollars - several individuals including myself raised or raised and donated thier own monies toward that total with Gator being the main driving force behind it.

That course techanically belongs to hundreds of golfers in the state - so please tell whoever told you that they are sadly mistaken - and thats how bad rumors get started. :roll:
Father of Future World Champion Lorelei Johnson #13697
keith johnson

Postby Rubiks » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:23 am

keith johnson wrote:That 10 grand was raised by golfers all over the area over 3-4 years for the Jim Warner course at the IDGC and the "ADGO" donated a portion of monies raised at ADGO Member Events for a few years - probably several hundred dollars - several individuals including myself raised or raised and donated thier own monies toward that total with Gator being the main driving force behind it.

That's great. I saw that the ADGO was on the donor list, and now I know the story behind that. Thanks, Keith.
Support Collegiate Disc Golf

National Collegiate Disc Golf Championships
Hippodrome Disc Golf Complex
April 12-15, 2012 in North Augusta, SC
Rubiks
Pro Plastic

Postby Funky Bobby J » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:01 am

I heard it was a million dollars that the ADGO collected from membership dues - a little was used for the course and the rest was used to by PDGA employees new cars.
Living in the United States where the hottest European import is Plutocracy...
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby billnchristy » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:07 am

Big Red wrote:Sad that no one pays attention to what the PDGA does. Here is another great question; how much does EVERYONE individually make that works for the PDGA? We have a right to know but do you know what the executive director makes or anyone else? How much does the marketing director make that seems to only be good for this:

http://whyy.org/blogs/itsourcity/2009/0 ... relations/

How many of you even knew about this? Do you think this makes disc golf look good? For the amount we pay we get nothing in return. How can the word corruption not come to mind?

Because those thousands of little numbers from thousands of tournaments that are updated every other month just update themselves.

PDGA posts their financials every year, you don't see who makes what but their entire staff salary is $144k which is not a lot of money.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby red » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:38 pm

This is prolly a really dumb question but other than a ranking system what does sanctioning do for a tourney? I know it raises the entry $10 and I know it gives us a different website to see everyone's ratings, but what else?
red
DX Plastic

Postby billnchristy » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:12 pm

I think an angel gets its wings.

Ranking system is pretty much it, plus the "points" which are used for worlds.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby grease » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:06 pm

Lewis wrote:I was told the other day by someone that the ADGO donated over $10,000 to the PDGA last year. Can someone dispel this rumor?

As Keith mentioned, Gator made it happen. Half of the money came from the brotherhood of local disc golfers contributing, and the other half came from Jim Warner's mother. It was all a labor of appreciation for one of our fellow golfers. I wouldn't, however, give the ADGO so much credit for making it happen.
Fart, it's never not funny!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby keith johnson » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:06 am

grease wrote:I wouldn't, however, give the ADGO so much credit for making it happen.

I didn't. I told the truth - even putting the "ADGO" in quotes as it was the players donating the money at the ADGO members Events - and it is the ADGO MEMBERS who actually are the ADGO. :roll:
keith johnson

Postby richardhead » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:15 am

I'm pretty sure there was tons of money donated outside of ADGO Member Events. In fact, the first time I heard about this was at the 05' Sequoyah Wide Open (R.I.P). I'm certain the ADGO was not the driving force behind all of this, but Gator certainly appreciated the help!
Jay Phillips
<EAT MY SKAT>
richardhead
Star Plastic

Postby grease » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:27 am

It really doesn't matter who contributed and how much. What really was impressive was that lots of locals came together for a common cause, contributed, and made it happen. That was a warm fuzzy!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby billnchristy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:50 am

grease wrote:It really doesn't matter who contributed and how much. What really was impressive was that lots of locals came together for a common cause, contributed, and made it happen. That was a warm fuzzy!

Leave it to this board to make it cheap and sleazy in some way though.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby Lewis » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:18 pm

Careful where you're putting your quotes there, Keith. I'm not trying to give or rescind any credit or blame. I was just asking to have a rumor cleared up. If the ADGO was thought to have donated $$$$$ (five figures) to the PDGA for their general treasury (which according to Dollar is currently swimming in cash) to no particular purpose, rather than to a particular project to support a particular course, it would make me want to ask why the ADGO was funding the big national organization so much more generously than the local scene. Your explanation was very helpful, especially if this rumor pops up again.
Lewis
Champion Plastic

Postby grease » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:47 pm

I got that from your original post, Lewis, you were questioning if and why the ADGO gave 10g to the PDGA. I should have said that the contirbution is shown as having come from the ADGO, but it actually should have been listed as "Disc Golfers of Georgia". That was all and not ragging on the ADGO,Keith, or making anything cheap or sleazy. Sorry if it was perceived that way.
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby richardhead » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:58 pm

Grease, we already know that you're cheap and sleazy. There's no saving yourself now!
Jay Phillips
<EAT MY SKAT>
richardhead
Star Plastic

Postby Lewis » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:13 pm

grease wrote:I got that from your original post, Lewis, you were questioning if and why the ADGO gave 10g to the PDGA. I should have said that the contirbution is shown as having come from the ADGO, but it actually should have been listed as "Disc Golfers of Georgia". That was all and not ragging on the ADGO,Keith, or making anything cheap or sleazy. Sorry if it was perceived that way.

Actually I was referring to where Keith listed me as saying something you said. And I understand what you were saying too. I don't think you're cheap or sleazy. Just greasy. :P
Lewis
Champion Plastic

Postby Redan Randy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:32 pm

Lewis, Keith, and Grease discussing.....
Redan IS God's Country!!
Redan Randy
Star Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:12 pm

Lewis wrote:Careful where you're putting your quotes there, Keith. I'm not trying to give or rescind any credit or blame. I was just asking to have a rumor cleared up. If the ADGO was thought to have donated $$$$$ (five figures) to the PDGA for their general treasury (which according to Dollar is currently swimming in cash) to no particular purpose, rather than to a particular project to support a particular course, it would make me want to ask why the ADGO was funding the big national organization so much more generously than the local scene. Your explanation was very helpful, especially if this rumor pops up again.

Good catch Lewis - I had deleted what you had written in responding to Greg, but didn't remove "your" quote tags - sorry - I was responding only to what Greg had written and have corrected my post above.

Keith
keith johnson

Postby billnchristy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:28 am

The money was for the Warner course was it not? It's not like they (say this because we were not playing or involved at the time) just gave the PDGA money to "hold until Sunday".
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby Jay » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:18 am

richardhead wrote:I'm pretty sure there was tons of money donated outside of ADGO Member Events. In fact, the first time I heard about this was at the 05' Sequoyah Wide Open (R.I.P). I'm certain the ADGO was not the driving force behind all of this, but Gator certainly appreciated the help!

Correct. If my memory serves me correct...easy now :) The week or so before the tourney, I was on hole 12 clearing for the SWO-5 when I got the call from Gut that Jim had passed. Gut was at the tourney with a donation jar when Scott Renz pulled up for the tourney and told me he could not play because he had to go to work. Scott pulled out a $100 bill, took the donation jar for the Jim Warner Memorial Fund and stuffed it in there. Due to his fine example for a fallen comrade, others stepped up and by the end of the tourney over $400 dollars were collected and Gut was deeply moved.

I was not as close to Jim as others, but I was well aware of his contributions to the local disc golf scene. I am happy that I got to hang with Jim and have many good laughs together with him, Chappy & the Wills Dogs....I'm thankful for Guts fortitude, the local disc golfers donations, the umbrella of the ADGO, and of course his family for getting the $$ collected to have the Jim Warner Memorial course in place..... Amen!
Jay

....and on the eighth day, God created the U.S. Marines!
Jay
Star Plastic

Return to Q & A