Bowling Green versus Virginia Tourneys

Questions & Answers

Moderator: ADGO BOD

Bowling Green versus Virginia Tourneys

Postby D-Wiz » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:08 pm

I'm considering a d-golf vacation/points extravaganza/road trip this Spring. I'm looking at the Bowling Green Amateur Championships or the May stuff in Spotsylvania, VA (if Keith would let me sign-up with his entourage since he is a sponsor). If any of you have experience with either experience, please chime in...

My initial thoughts: VA would be more expensive and probably the most fun.
BG would be a better opportunity to earn some points to qualify for World's in Charlotte and a bit cheaper?
promoting D-GOLF since 2007
D-Wiz
Pro Plastic

Re: Bowling Green versus Virginia Tourneys

Postby jritger » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:47 pm

Bowling green is a great experience and its huge .... but the grange is an unbelievable venue. Like flyboy with a total DG slant. Spending a week there would certainly trump bowling green in my book for a fun trip. And weatherwise, good chance of cold rain and wind in bowling green (it was nasty the one time i went) versus not quite hot in virginia... I'd go to VA.
jritger

Postby grease » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:01 pm

They don't call it "Blowing Green" for nothing.
Fart, it's never not funny!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby Wookie » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:16 pm

I have spent 10 days each year for the last 2 years in VA and it's nothing short of awesome. The people you meet, the great golf you get to see and play, the amazing courses you get to check out, and enough side action to keep Vegas going for a little while all makes me lean that way. There is non-stop entertainment and it's sort of got this festival atmosphere for the week. Contrary to everyone's opinion around here, it's the true meaning of Discneyland with all the fun things to do, Augusta is more like a history type experience. Where else can you play Tiki Golf at night, and play old school arcade games while you wait for the next round to start. Oh, and they have a movie room, swimming pool, mini-course, hot-tub, and other assorted amenities.

I would love to play Bowling Green but it just seems like a big rush to get an event in and travel and all that. Spending time at the Grange is good for the mind, body, and soul.

As far as money, you can stay at the Grange all week for free, you just have to bring your camping gear. Last year I took my pop-up and we had a great time. I am still trying to see if I can get back up there again this year with my new job and all that.
Use the "force" only for good, never for evil

PDGA 24474
ADGO 127
Wookie
Champion Plastic

Postby craigd » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:27 pm

It doesn't sound like Bowling Green is as fun as Virgina but I only have experience at the Bowling Green Amateur Championships. It was the Disc Golf highlight of the year for me last year and I am heading that way again this year. The players pack out weighs the entry fee and when you look at the whole experience, well, it's a pretty great deal. For me, I met my brother Ryan who lives in Nashville and carpooled with him so the drive was a breeze and we split a surprisingly reasonable Red Roof Inn room for $50 bucks a night. We have already booked our room for the same price for this year. The players party's ,the fly mart, and various other happenings just add to the fun. We sprang for steak dinners and washed them down with cheap beer and just had a blast. All of that and you still get to play four different courses over the weekend. The worst part about the trip for me was driving back to Atlanta on Sunday after playing the final round. It kind of brings reality back into your life rather abruptly during the 5+ hour drive home.
Craig Dickerson
PDGA# 38061
ADGO# 258
craigd
Pro Plastic

Postby Rubiks » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:47 pm

craigd wrote:The worst part about the trip for me was driving back to Atlanta on Sunday after playing the final round. It kind of brings reality back into your life rather abruptly during the 5+ hour drive home.

Sounds like the three hour drive we had Sunday afternoon after the Collegiate Nationals in April. Four days in Augusta of nothing but disc golf, then back to school on Monday...
Support Collegiate Disc Golf

National Collegiate Disc Golf Championships
Hippodrome Disc Golf Complex
April 12-15, 2012 in North Augusta, SC
Rubiks
Pro Plastic

Postby $Dollar$ » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:35 pm

GRANGE=Best Place on earth
BAAAAKAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
$Dollar$
Champion Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:25 pm

Just as a heads up - I will soon be getting the info on the Event week, but it will still be the same week long Extavaganza - but with a new name.

Anyone wishing to go should keep there eyes on this theread and I will post the info when available. I've also heard from Brian Law (The TD ) through John Biscoe, that they will let any and all GA players that want to get in in and we will be taken care of. Still will need payment up front to send in, but no trying to limit us as in ther past year (as of now, and as always subject to change)

So make those plans to be off for that week and come join everyone for as much (5 Sanctioned Events in one week, plus doubles) or as little disc golf as you want!

Keith
Father of Future World Champion Lorelei Johnson #13697
keith johnson

Postby Wookie » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:46 am

I don't know if I can get up there for the whole week this time with the new job but I am going to try and get as much in as I can.
Use the "force" only for good, never for evil

PDGA 24474
ADGO 127
Wookie
Champion Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:53 am

That's the beauty of all the 1 day midweek Events - you can play them all or 1 at a time - I only fly in to play the Thursday and weekend Events, and still have a GREAT time!
Father of Future World Champion Lorelei Johnson #13697
keith johnson

Return to Q & A