Wills Park Open House/ Disc Golf JAN 2nd 2011 10AM-4PM

Local Disc Golf Tournament Info

Moderator: ADGO BOD

Wills Park Open House/ Disc Golf JAN 2nd 2011 10AM-4PM

Postby keith johnson » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:48 pm

We have received the approval from the Park to hold the Open House/ Disc Golf demonstration at Wills Park at the pavilion by Current Hole 12 (new Hole 18) from 10AM-4PM

It will be on SUNDAY JAN 2nd and will feature food from the world famous restaurant Anis (Jeff Gomez - chef) for the adults and burgers (Meat and Turkey) and dogs for the kids, and bottled water for all.

There will be demonstrations of disc golf techniques and throws as well as a practice basket set up for putting demonstrations.

People can come and go as they wish, and anyone who wishes to check out the new course will be welcomed to do so.
Hopefully they will provide thoughts on how the course redesign is a major improvement by removing the walking trails from disc golf fairways.

We will be inviting several Disc Golf World Champions that either got their start at Wills Park or called it their home course at some point in their career to come see the new changes and hopefully some if not of them will attend. We should also have press coverage by the local papers and possibly local TV stations for the Event.

We are also going to be publically thanking the Alpharetta Visitors and Convention Bureau, the City of Alpharetta Recreation and Parks Department, the Parks Commision, and the Local Boy Scouts that either completed in 2010 or will be doing future projects in 2011 for the Disc Golf Course around Noon (hopefully to coincide with local newscasts).

I'm sure there will lots of suurounding area folks visiting and experiencing Disc Golf for the first time as well as some old friends who haven't been to the course in a long time.

I hope you will start off your new year with a visit to the new Wills Park - especially if you used to visit and left when all the congestion got bad - and see if maybe you'd like to come visit more often in the future.

Keith
Father of Future World Champion Lorelei Johnson #13697
keith johnson

Re: Wills Park Open House/ Disc Golf JAN 2nd 2011 10AM-4PM

Postby Woodrow » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:07 am

All that on a day with no bowl game!!
GENIUS!!!
Woodrow

Postby TokioJason » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:27 pm

This happening?
TokioJason
Pro Plastic

Postby Mike D » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:00 pm

Looks like a change in plan for my family tomorrow, I do not own any hip waders so we will try to make it out there when it is a little drier.

Those who do make it out, let me know what you think of the course.

I have not played Wills for about 3 years or so, was looking forward to checking out the new course.

(I did however sign-up for GSSS1)
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:10 pm

TokioJason wrote:This happening?

Yes it is - Rain is over and Wills did not receive alot - there are new concrete tees so no muddy teeing areas, and new baskets so no spit outs or bounce outs :mrgreen: - the course is fine and the pavilion is on high ground so no issues there. There will be plenty of sunshine and food ccoked by Moose so come and get some check out the course and have a great time at a nice course.

Keith
keith johnson

Postby keith johnson » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:58 pm

Thanks to everyone who came out - over 120 people came through during the day (about 20-30 non disc golfers) including about 30-40 that were there for the first time or hadn't been in over 5 years.

We gave plaques to the City Recreation and Parks Department, Alpharetta Visitor and Convention Bureau (accepted by David Cox of the Natural Resource Committee),
Craig Dickerson of Decksource.com and Metro Building Products. We also have one for Eagle Scout Bobby Cookson that we'll give to him when he is available.

There were pictures taken by Wade Cauthen from Earth Visions Photography of the awards presentation as well as of the principal players involved in the course changes coming about.
As soon as he sends me the link I will post them here.
There was also a story in the Alpharetta paper about the Open House, and there will be follow up stories both in the paper and online about today's festivities.

Everyone loved the outstanding cold food appetizers (Monster Shrimp, pizza, rum cake, homemade potato salad, and veggies) as well as the food (Chicken and Hangar steak) cooked by Moose - all of which was donated by Jeff Gomez from Anis to go along with burgers and dogs that were slipped inside some gourmet rolls and buns also donated by Anis to keep everyone well fed before or after their round of golf.

The course and new tee signs were well received and were enjoyed by several people in the neighborhood including a couple who came out to see the sport for the first time and they ended up playing a few holes and followed some other groups around while learning about the sport.
There was also photos taken of them and others as well as an interview with Chris Foley and myself which will appear online at Patch.com soon.

Thanks again to everyone involved and thanks to a great start to the new year weather wise and Disc Golf wise to make today a success!

Keith
keith johnson

Postby TokioJason » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:20 pm

Twas a lot of fun thx for doing the open house and all the work you put in the course and other courses. The food was great and it was nice to see the park so busy with a lot of faces that we have never seen. We should think about doing a casual doubles on the weekends and having a cookout afterwards seems like a good idea.
TokioJason
Pro Plastic

Postby grease » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:08 pm

Thanks to everyone involved! I really enjoyed playing Will's without the threat of hitting anyone.
Fart, it's never not funny!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby VERMIN » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:37 pm

Thanks to all who helped work on the course and to those who helped with the Open House. I have played the new layout twice now and really enjoy it.
Speakin' the vernacular of the peasantry. Poor little kid, I hope she gets home all right....Professor Marvel

Vern Williams - ADGO #120 - PDGA #27359
VERMIN
Star Plastic

Postby da4nex » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:50 pm

<without the threat of hitting anyone.>

Except for Chop. And that was kind of on purpose and totally acceptable anyway.
da4nex
DX Plastic

Postby Can't Hit Open Putts » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:42 am

da4nex wrote:<without the threat of hitting anyone.>

Except for Chop. And that was kind of on purpose and totally acceptable anyway.

As long as I didn't get hit by the falling trees, very acceptable! Thanks to Moose for manning the grill while we played, the food was great! It was nice to start of my 25th year of playing golf with my brother Al and buddy Jim at Wills, where we started. I'm sure I heard you guys agree on the buck-a-stroke bet before we started... didn't I ?!?
Is this post really necessary?
Can't Hit Open Putts
Champion Plastic

Return to Disc Golf Tournaments