Lighted Pay for Play Disc Golf

Questions & Answers

Moderator: ADGO BOD

Lighted Pay for Play Disc Golf

Postby waruss » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:00 am

I am thinking of approaching a par three ball golf course in Duluth with a business plan to overlay a pay for play disc golf course on top of their already functioning ball course. While it would be an open course (no woods) it could be made very challenging with OB (greens, sand traps and lakes) and mandatories for most, if not all of the holes. The neat thing about it is that it is lighted and would allow play at night.
I need to be able to convince the owners that disc golf could be profitable for them on days and nights that are slow for ball golf. Is there an interest in the Atlanta disc golf community to support such a course? If so, I need to conduct a poll to see how much interest there is and what we would be willing to pay to play a round both during the day and at night. While I do not know when their slack time is for ball golf, my reality check, at this point, says ball golf is strong for most days and maybe even weekend nights. Weekday nights are where I see the potential to bring them new customers. Before I approach them, I need to gather some demographic information on the number of disc golfers in the Atlanta area. Does anyone have access to that kind of information?
waruss
Barney

Re: Lighted Pay for Play Disc Golf

Postby Woodrow » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:27 am

waruss wrote:....I need to gather some demographic information on the number of disc golfers in the Atlanta area. Does anyone have access to that kind of information?
The short answer is no. But that is one thing on a long list of things the ADGO could have been doing if there were only more than just a meager handful of people interested in doing anything. Good luck.
Woodrow

Postby Big Red » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:31 pm

I certainly would be interested in patronizing such an establishment. Woody I have no idea what you are saying here? The ADGO is awesome and have done amazing things for the game for years. Just look around...........
I've got more game than a busted Atari.
Big Red
Champion Plastic

Postby VERMIN » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:56 am

I don't mean to sound like a downer but I doubt if a Duluth course would go for the disc golf action. The costs of the baskets plus liability factors could outweigh the profits. Wills, Alex, Chamblee Church course, and ERP are only an average of 10 miles away from Duluth.

In Myrtle Beach there is a course called Tupelo Bay. They have 9 permanent DG holes and the baskets set off to the side of the greens. Greens would play as OB. I would contact them for some demographic background even though the DG population is probably quite small there.
Speakin' the vernacular of the peasantry. Poor little kid, I hope she gets home all right....Professor Marvel

Vern Williams - ADGO #120 - PDGA #27359
VERMIN
Star Plastic

Postby waruss » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:59 pm

Thanks Vern. I believe the liability issue would already be covered by the policy they have for ball golf. Plus additional grounds keeping would be minimal assuming the plan includes mats or poured tees. The proximity of the other courses in the area was something I saw as a positive for potential play, particularly at night. Interestingly, my post has been viewed 146 times with only 3 replies (a mere 2% interest level and one positive). That low of a level would certainly not support a business case. I will check out Tupelo as you suggest. I am deflated at this point.
waruss
Barney

Postby dandaman » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:33 pm

Interestingly, my post has been viewed 146 times with only 3 replies (a mere 2% interest level and one positive). That low of a level would certainly not support a business case. I will check out Tupelo as you suggest. I am deflated at this point.

Don't expect widespread commentary or general positve responses to the commentary that you do receive. Most commentary will be critical on the ole' DGBB. Take the commentary for what its worth (very little) and continue on with your plans.

If you truly want to propose a lighted disc golf course in Duluth then by all means research fly 18 courses, tupelo bay and any other DGC that are on ball golf courses/golf courses with lights. Take your time doing the reserch and gain only the main facts that are pertentint to your goal (ex. The sport of disc golf experiences a growth of approx. 12% in terms of players/new courses every year...) Once you have some basic facts than do an initial proposal at your place of interest (that way you can see if they would even be interested in disc golf before you invest large amounts of time coming up with a formal proposal). Paint with broad strokes and be fact based, but try to use only the facts that you feel are most important (ex. maintence of a disc golf course on a ball golf course is nominal, disc golf is an added revenue).

Check the demographics that the PDGA provides every year on their website-its valuable information that can be used anytime when proposing disc golf. Calculate how many new courses have been established in the U.S. and GA. in the past 10 years, 5 years, 3 years, 2 years etc...(Use the History lessons with Wade topic under Atlanta Gossip as a starting point for local courses, and dont forget the most recent courses when conducting your research!)

If the initial proposal goes well then run with that baby. I will tell you that if you get that far then the large amount of work will be on your shoulders.

If there was a lighted course in Duluth I would play (but not that much because Duluth is easily an hour away from me :wink: )
Johnson! Keep an eye on that Kherplakistan situation...
dandaman
Star Plastic

Return to Q & A