NEW Oregon Park course map

Cobb County - Marietta, Ga

Moderators: kurt, Lewis, ADGO BOD

NEW Oregon Park course map

Postby BP » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:52 am

See below for the most recent version of the course map
Last edited by BP on Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Pressley
PDGA # 42766
http://www.disccaddie.com
Marietta Square
BP
Pro Plastic

Re: NEW Oregon Park course map

Postby Dr. Manhattan » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:20 pm

The new course has potential but there are about 10-15 trees that need to come out. Also all the idiots that made the old course un-playable have already infested the new one. It is so aggrivating. Being that it is a more secluded part of the park I dont think that will change.
Dr. Manhattan
DX Plastic

Postby Woodrow » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:10 am

Hey Bob.....I pulled out my crayons just for you!

Woodrow

Postby BP » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:57 am

Don't get me all excited and then leave me hangin Mr Crayola...

Woodrow wrote:Hey Bob.....I pulled out my crayons just for you!

Bob Pressley
PDGA # 42766
Marietta Square
BP
Pro Plastic

Postby Woodrow » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:58 pm

Oops! Let me know if you're still excited.
Woodrow

Postby BP » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:17 am

BITCHIN' :clap:

Woodrow wrote:Oops! Let me know if you're still excited.
Bob Pressley
PDGA # 42766
Marietta Square
BP
Pro Plastic

Postby Jaronshaffer » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:34 pm

What's with the tee pad left of hole three's basket?
Jaronshaffer
Barney

Postby coreyml » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:57 am

A reliable source tells me that that is hole 4's REAL tee pad
that makes hole 15 and 16 in the field, 17 is the sharp dogleg right hole and 18 is 18

This source talked to this kevin mccoy guy on the phone during my round verifying ^^^that^^^ layout

I guess it hasnt been fixed since i see you played it today
coreyml
DX Plastic

Postby Lewis » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:45 am

I don't know who your "reliable" source is, but what he/she told you agrees with what I've heard through the cobb disc golf club leadership. No doubt Kevin knows some things that I don't, since he is the designer. The bottom line is that the layout played at the tournament has not been finalized as the "permanent" layout. Some of the baskets (or teepads, or whatever) will be moved again before long. The "NOP" layout is still a work in progress.
Lewis
Champion Plastic

Postby Redan Randy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:30 pm

Lewis wrote:cobb disc golf club leadership.

Redan IS God's Country!!
Redan Randy
Star Plastic

Postby Chrisgeoguy » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:02 pm

I keep hearing they are going to have to remove holes 2 - 8. Is this true? I hope not, if so was is the plan to redo those holes?
Chrisgeoguy
Barney

Postby Wookie » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:56 pm

I got to play the new layout today and it was a lot of fun. Should have walked up a bit to look at some of the holes but other than that I really enjoyed it. It didn't feel like we were playing at Oregon at all. :mrgreen:
Use the "force" only for good, never for evil

PDGA 24474
ADGO 127
Wookie
Champion Plastic

Postby crickey » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:57 pm

I really like the new lay out, thank you to who ever is in charge there!
Tryin' to sing a familiar tune,
Howlin' the words under a bloodshot moon
crickey
DX Plastic

Postby Mike D » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:35 pm

crickey wrote:I really like the new lay out, thank you to who ever is in charge there!

Only problem is that they pulled all the "new" baskets so the only course to play right now is the "old" course with all the Barneys.
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby grease » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:46 am

The new map should be everything north of the dirt road.
Fart, it's never not funny!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby BP » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:25 pm

The NEW #2 - #8 had to be removed temporarily but Kevin McCoy is going to OP to rework a few things so we can get back up and running ASAP!

Mike D wrote:
crickey wrote:I really like the new lay out, thank you to who ever is in charge there!

Only problem is that they pulled all the "new" baskets so the only course to play right now is the "old" course with all the Barneys.
Bob Pressley
PDGA # 42766
Marietta Square
BP
Pro Plastic

Postby Steve C » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:11 pm

BP wrote:The NEW #2 - #8 had to be removed temporarily but Kevin McCoy is going to OP to rework a few things so we can get back up and running ASAP!

Was wondering what happened to 2-7. My son has never played the new holes. I ended up doing one of those tours... "imagine the tee is there and the pin is where that metal box is..." :) We walked 2-7 and picked-up at 8. Had a great time as usual. Thanks Kevin and everyone that has helped. Once the poison ivy comes up in the Spring, I'll do my annual toss-and-spray round.

- Steve
No matter how much you know about technique, you have to perform.
Steve C
Barney

Postby Lewis » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:35 pm

Redan Randy wrote:
Lewis wrote:cobb disc golf club leadership.

Sometimes I feel that way too, Randy, but we're making good progress. In the past two years we've accomplished an awful lot without much help from anyone else, so as long as we keep moving forward I don't mind the cheap shots. By the way, what movie is that from, or is it an episode of the Outer Limits?
Lewis
Champion Plastic

Postby Redan Randy » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:21 pm

Lewis wrote:Image
By the way, what movie is that from, or is it an episode of the Outer Limits?[/quote]
SPOILER ALERT:IT"S A BOOK OF RECIPES!!
Redan IS God's Country!!
Redan Randy
Star Plastic

Postby BP » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:55 pm

Elections are coming up soon for those OP members out there...
Bob Pressley
PDGA # 42766
Marietta Square
BP
Pro Plastic

Postby Steve C » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:28 am

Are 2-7 back in? If not, what's the plan? Is there somewhere else I should go for info?

Inquiring minds want to know :)

Thx,

s
No matter how much you know about technique, you have to perform.
Steve C
Barney

Postby Lewis » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:42 pm

No they're not back in; we're working on getting official county approval. To get that we have to submit an official plan to the county. We're working on that currently. Keep on the lookout for a Cobb Disc Golf Club members' meeting coming up this month. We don't have a firm date for it yet, but there will be more information there, as well as opportunities shared about how you can help out.
Lewis
Champion Plastic

Postby coreyml » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:04 am

while we are awaiting approval, i have a suggestion

new 10, the tee pad is in a ditch (which is a reoccurring theme @ OP) witch collects water keeping it muddy until july. What if we put the tee pad on the hill just behind the current tee? It adds about 30' but it wasnt muddy today while the regular tee pad sux for even standstill shots.

or concrete
coreyml
DX Plastic

Postby Lewis » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:23 am

Yes that's the absolute muddiest spot on the course. I wouldn't recommend even walking through that teepad these days. I don't see anything wrong with teeing off a little farther back or a little to the left, even if the "official" pad hasn't moved yet. Do be careful not to back into the fairway on the previous hole and get hit with somebody's approach. In any event, nobody is going to beat you up for not teeing off from between the flags, as long as you don't damage or destroy anything. :thumbup:

We'd all love to be able to install concrete pads on all 30-something holes at Oregon Park, but until we are able to raise money to finish paying for the new set of baskets, concrete pads are going to have to wait. And even if we had plenty of money, it would probably be unwise to install concrete before we're confident of all of the teepad locations. I wonder if we could even keep a concrete pad from washing away on that muddy spot in the photo.

coreyml wrote:while we are awaiting approval, i have a suggestion

new 10, the tee pad is in a ditch (which is a reoccurring theme @ OP) witch collects water keeping it muddy until july. What if we put the tee pad on the hill just behind the current tee? It adds about 30' but it wasnt muddy today while the regular tee pad sux for even standstill shots.

or concrete
Lewis
Champion Plastic

Postby Duke » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:52 am

Any word on 2-8?
Duke
Barney

Postby BP » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:17 am

2-8 will not exist as they did temporarily, however the revision to complete the new 18 will begin within the next two weeks. More to follow very soon...

Duke wrote:Any word on 2-8?
Bob Pressley
PDGA # 42766
Marietta Square
BP
Pro Plastic

Postby jdominy » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:09 pm

After playing disc golf for more than 13 years, having to take a years break from dislocating my kneecap playing, I've moved to Atlanta from NC and have started playing disc golf again, hitting up 5 courses in less than two weeks. Today, my wife and I hit up Oregon Park. I read all the cons of this course, but was excited about the new 18 I read about. Drove past the new 18 start at the driving range building, went into the park, saw the old baskets, and went back parking at the the driving range shack. Pulled up the map from this thread, and started at 1. "Ok, seems nice." I thought. Then I went to #2. What's that? Go directly to 9? Uh, ok. So, we headed there, trying to find it. We actually asked two groups, who didn't know what was going on, either. They actually played most of the holes out of order, different tee pads, different baskets (according to the map in this thread.) We joined another group, and figured out where 9 was, and started from there. After that, it wasn't so hard to get from 9-18.

My thought is, how hard would it be to put something about the loss of the first half holes, and the solution with a map at the new #1 teepad? I mean, I don't mean to complain, I really don't, but it was a bit ridiculous at times. Also, even if someone just took a Sharpie and marked the number of that teepad marker in the direction of the basket, that would help alot. It was our first time playing there, we live in Smyrna, and this is really our closest good course, I want to come back, but I just think of all the folks coming and playing for the first time, as intimidating as it can be for new folks, the lack of marking makes it even more frustrating. For the love of the sport, and I do love it, seems like if this is the only course in Cobb County, we could get a few hundred dollars to at least get some minimal markings?
jdominy
Barney

Postby Redan Randy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:43 pm

jdominy wrote:After playing disc golf for more than 13 years, having to take a years break from dislocating my kneecap playing, I've moved to Atlanta from NC and have started playing disc golf again, hitting up 5 courses in less than two weeks. Today, my wife and I hit up Oregon Park.
I do love it!

That's better, Earthling!!
Redan IS God's Country!!
Redan Randy
Star Plastic

Postby grease » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:03 pm

The biggest problems I noticed was that the more seasoned locals play a made up version of the new 18 and generally skip the original side of the park. The less seaoned players play the older side of the park and include a variation that meanders into the new 18 for a few holes. I forget the hole numbers, but there are three or four holes where different groups would be shooting at the same basket from different tee pads. Aside from having two clearly defined courses, there's really no solution to the problem. I think it's only going to get worse as more people get used to playing the 27 holes with different layouts.

This course has tons of potential and a great group of people to execute it. I think it's just a matter of time.
Fart, it's never not funny!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby BP » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:21 am

Here is the most recent temporary version of the (old course) course map that will be completed this weekend.

#8 is being removed.

Bob Pressley
PDGA # 42766
Marietta Square
BP
Pro Plastic

Postby eckstea » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:28 pm

I like the new look, but its going to be hard to get the masses to start using the new course without proper sign-age.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
eckstea
Barney

Postby Lewis » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:01 pm

We're trying to put off installing signage until we have some degree of confidence in the ultimate layout. That way we don't waste money and effort on signage that we have to tear out and rebuild in a couple of months. Any suggestions for free or virtually free temporary signage in the meantime?
Lewis
Champion Plastic

Postby Duke » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:00 pm

We could always print some out, laminate them on the cheap and tack them up. Or even a brightly colored course map on the board at 1.
Duke
Barney

Postby BP » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:25 pm

The revised version is right around the corner. Stay tuned...
Bob Pressley
PDGA # 42766
Marietta Square
BP
Pro Plastic

Postby Lewis » Tue May 03, 2011 9:33 am

Duke wrote:We could always print some out, laminate them on the cheap and tack them up. Or even a brightly colored course map on the board at 1.

The latter we can do without much trouble, but when we've done this in the past it has either gotten ruined by the weather or torn off by random yokels. As for tacking up laminated signage, the county has prohibited us from nailing anything into the trees, so that's not an option without some kind of free-standing man-made post or stake to tack them to. :(
Lewis
Champion Plastic

Return to Oregon Park