Jacksonville, FL disc golf

Questions & Answers

Moderator: ADGO BOD

Jacksonville, FL disc golf

Postby edj42 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:59 pm

Hi all, I may have to go to Jacksonville for a long weekend in Dec. Which course(s) are worth checking out?
I looked on Disc Golf Course Review and got some ideas, but wanted some feedback from someone who has actually played down there.
"When a ball dreams, it dreams it is a frisbee."
edj42
DX Plastic

Re: Jacksonville, FL disc golf

Postby Rubiks » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:28 pm

edj42 wrote:Hi all, I may have to go to Jacksonville for a long weekend in Dec. Which course(s) are worth checking out?
I looked on Disc Golf Course Review and got some ideas, but wanted some feedback from someone who has actually played down there.

I'm from there, moved up here for college. There are two courses in Jacksonville, and Fore Palms is the main one. 24 holes, two cement teepads per hole. It's you're typical "Florida course"; Palmettos, pine trees, and mostly flat. You definitely need to hit that one up, and if you're free on Sunday morning then I would highly recommend that you go to their handicap league. It's called handicap, but you can play regular singles or quarter skins, and there are usually 4 CTPs and ace fund. All in would be $18, or you can just pay the $1 course fee, or anything in between. Tee off is at 10, but they quit taking sign-ups after 9:45 or so. Since it's really the only course in town, turnout is around 25 or so unless there's another tournament nearby.

You could also try Hannah park. It's a 9 hole pitch and putt through some woods. All it takes to play is a putter and bug spray. Personally, I would just skip it and play another round at Fore Palms. If you want to do a little driving, Ronnie Van Zant park is about an hour South in Green Cove. It's a flatter and more technical course than Fore Palms, but for a city with so few courses it's something different. Hope that helps.
Support Collegiate Disc Golf

National Collegiate Disc Golf Championships
Hippodrome Disc Golf Complex
April 12-15, 2012 in North Augusta, SC
Rubiks
Pro Plastic

Postby edj42 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:14 pm

Does Fore Palms go by any other name? I did not see it on Disc Golf Course Review, although I could have overlooked it. Great advice- I may try to work the Sunday a.m. action into my trip.
"When a ball dreams, it dreams it is a frisbee."
edj42
DX Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:22 pm

edj42 wrote:Does Fore Palms go by any other name? I did not see it on Disc Golf Course Review, although I could have overlooked it. Great advice- I may try to work the Sunday a.m. action into my trip.

Ed Austin Park (Fore Palms DGC) according to PDGA Course directory
Father of Future World Champion Lorelei Johnson #13697
keith johnson

Postby TomahawkChopper » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:54 pm

Damn that course at Hannah Park is still around? Im from Jville myself I used to play there when my dad was stationed at that Mayport Naval Base, havent been to that course since I was 7 and Im 27 now. Thats one old ass 9 hole course dont remember a mosquito problem though. I guess twenty yrs really changes a place.
The artist formerly Known As MiLeNkO.........
Joey Tokash
PDGA 35002
TomahawkChopper
Pro Plastic

Postby Rubiks » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:54 pm

TomahawkChopper wrote:Damn that course at Hannah Park is still around? Im from Jville myself I used to play there when my dad was stationed at that Mayport Naval Base, havent been to that course since I was 7 and Im 27 now. Thats one old ass 9 hole course dont remember a mosquito problem though. I guess twenty yrs really changes a place.

Different course; that one must have been pulled a while back, because the current Hanna Park course was designed from scratch and installed in 2006 or 2007. It's now in some woods just North of the pond, by the water playground.
Support Collegiate Disc Golf

National Collegiate Disc Golf Championships
Hippodrome Disc Golf Complex
April 12-15, 2012 in North Augusta, SC
Rubiks
Pro Plastic

Postby mrpbody33 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:08 pm

Four Palms and Ronnie Van Zant are great courses. Also Tuscawilla Park in Daytona Beach is also a fun course with multiple tee boxes.
Barry "Mr. P'body" Arnson
PDGA# 28128
ADGO# 133
http://discgolfatlanta.com/
mrpbody33

Postby TomahawkChopper » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:55 pm

You would think there would be way more courses in Jville.
The artist formerly Known As MiLeNkO.........
Joey Tokash
PDGA 35002
TomahawkChopper
Pro Plastic

Return to Q & A