Charleston Classic - SC

Local Disc Golf Tournament Info

Moderator: ADGO BOD

Charleston Classic - SC

Postby Mike D » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:20 am

I had not heard anything on the tournament, but when I checked the website for the Charleston area this tournament is just about sold-out.

For those who have never been, this course is set-up only once a year for tournament play in a 100 yr old park.

This year they are playing all 4 rounds at Hampton Park!!!

Imagine playing a flat Perkerson Park with 100 year old Oak trees with hanging spanish moss. You also throw over fountains and the pond in the middle of this park. If not this year, try to make this one next December.
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Re: Charleston Classic - SC

Postby VERMIN » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:11 pm

Speakin' the vernacular of the peasantry. Poor little kid, I hope she gets home all right....Professor Marvel

Vern Williams - ADGO #120 - PDGA #27359
VERMIN
Star Plastic

Postby Mike D » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:36 pm

Looks like they filled fast!!

Wait list is already 10 deep with our own Dollar and Vach at the end of the list.

For those how have not played this course, you owe it to yourself to try to get down there at least once.
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby Mike D » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:17 pm

Atlanta was well represented at the Charleston Open this year..

Dollar and Vach got in off the waitlist and both shot very well.

Dollar took 3rd
Vach took 5th

Other Atlanta area pro Jeff Bryk took 6th

Those of us in the Am divisions did not fare as well due to the "evil" island hole.

I think all of us took at least a 7 or 8 on the damn hole the last day. I know it cost me dearly as I took a triple circle 10 both rounds on Sunday, Kelly took a 9 and I think Brad was right up there with us.

If you get the chance check out the video on the PDGA main page.

Later,

Mike D
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby TokioJason » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:34 pm

Is that the hole where u tee off shooting under a beautifully placed tree?
TokioJason
Pro Plastic

Postby $Dollar$ » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:49 pm

nope. That would be holes #17 (fountain hole) and #20 that both Tee from under an Angel Oak.
BAAAAKAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
$Dollar$
Champion Plastic

Postby TokioJason » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:36 pm

I can't seem to find the video on youtube anymore but the park and course looks pretty sick. Those angel tree's are gorgeous
TokioJason
Pro Plastic

Postby dandaman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:08 pm

It's a sweet course. Have to know how to throw plenty of low straight shots as the limbs have never been trimmed on any of the fairways.

The island hole is a little bit ridiculous. I think an argument could be made that the green is not large enough to be a valid island hole. I circled foured it twice two years ago b/c I was able to land on the green after purposely overbrewing the hole and then throwing from the drop zone. One guy in my group threw four discs in the pond and went on to take like a multiple cirle 17 or something.<--none of his shots from the drop zone landed in the circle and when it became obvious that he wasn't going to make the green (and when he had nothing left but putters to throw) we (the group) mercifully made the decision that we were not going to make him throw his putters into the pond in order to try to complete the hole.

I liked the courses but was sorely dissapointed after receiving a 20 minute lunch break because my group took so long to complete the first round! (See reasons above) :roll: In addition to recieving a 20 minute lunch break the next round started without me knowing (afterall when's the last time you've played a PDGA tournament where only a 20 minute break was given?) Consequently I missed the first two holes and received 8 penalty shots! I went on to fiinsh 12th where I should have finished 5th because Lauren the TD didn't allow me to count the scores of two provisional holes that I played immediately after my group finished the second round. Even after stating my case that a 20min lunch break was unsuitable for me (and other players) and that no next round starting time was posted near tournament central (which it wasn't) I was denied the ability of the provisional play. Lauren as a TD=The worst TD I've ever encountered! I HAVEN'T FORGOTTEN!!! :evil:

But the courses were cool though.
Johnson! Keep an eye on that Kherplakistan situation...
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby djester » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:27 pm

Cat scratch fever....
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Return to Disc Golf Tournaments