2008 UDGC Qualifier Thoughts

Local Disc Golf Tournament Info

Moderator: ADGO BOD

Which course(s) would you like to see the USDGC qualifier held on?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:39 pm

"Supersized" Central Park
41%
Lake Olmstead
8%
Ridge Ferry
27%
Lake Russell
19%
Other
5%

Total votes : 37

2008 UDGC Qualifier Thoughts

Postby keith johnson » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:39 pm

I am looking to get input from players in Georgia on which possible course(s) they would like to see the USDGC qualifier for 2008 be played on.

Two things to keep in mind please.
It would need to be held on an existing course (not planned) that could be modified to meet the "challenging layout" that I'm thinking would be wanted to be played by the players.

It could be held in conjuction with a regularly scheduled event as long as Georgia players were willing to put in an extra $15 towards the qualifying with the money going to the player that qualified(as long as that person WAS going to the USDGC), or it could be a stand alone event as in the past few years.

If choosing Other, please list the course.

Keith
Father of Future World Champion Lorelei Johnson #13697
keith johnson

Postby richardhead » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:48 pm

I think it should be a seperate event. Would "supersized central" be the gold tees? If so, I think there will be a lot of cleanup needed to make it playable. Personally I think we could make a course within the course at Central. We could rope OB and really make a challenging course out there. I'm a big fan of Ridge Ferry but the lack of elevation would be a concern. We could really make a sweet layout there.

The biggest thing about Winthrop is that you have to think about every shot. There are a lot of factors that make it the greatest course in the world. I think any of the courses listed in the poll could be modified with OB's and such to make them more of a challenge. The key is to make a course that's not really straight forward. You need to be able to visualize and attack. You need risk reward also. The majority of the holes at Winthrop can be played in different ways. You can play smart and shoot good you can be aggressive and shoot good. Or you can be to aggressive and fail miserably. We have great courses and we have the ability to be creative. Which ever course we use, it needs to be designed with one major thought in mind. Does the player have to think before he throws? Or does he just get up and go at it with no worries of the consequences. My vote is for supersized Central (not gold tees).
Jay Phillips
<EAT MY SKAT>
richardhead
Star Plastic

Postby Ridesbrd » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:05 pm

hippo gold
Ridesbrd
Champion Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:07 pm

richardhead wrote:I think it should be a seperate event. Would "supersized central" be the gold tees? If so, I think there will be a lot of cleanup needed to make it playable. Personally I think we could make a course within the course at Central. We could rope OB and really make a challenging course out there. I'm a big fan of Ridge Ferry but the lack of elevation would be a concern. We could really make a sweet layout there.

The biggest thing about Winthrop is that you have to think about every shot. There are a lot of factors that make it the greatest course in the world. I think any of the courses listed in the poll could be modified with OB's and such to make them more of a challenge. The key is to make a course that's not really straight forward. You need to be able to visualize and attack. You need risk reward also. The majority of the holes at Winthrop can be played in different ways. You can play smart and shoot good you can be aggressive and shoot good. Or you can be to aggressive and fail miserably. We have great courses and we have the ability to be creative. Which ever course we use, it needs to be designed with one major thought in mind. Does the player have to think before he throws? Or does he just get up and go at it with no worries of the consequences. My vote is for supersized Central (not gold tees).

Supersized Central is NOT gold tees.
I already do every event at Central with a modified layout and I already have had the "Supersized" course designed for the last 2 years, waiting to use it for the NT that was a possibility in the past.

Lake Russell could be modified with OB, as well as Lake Olmstead to make them more challenging, similar to Winthrop.

Your thoughts on Winthrop are why I'm looking for it to be similar for the qualifier.
keith johnson

Postby keith johnson » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:09 pm

Ridesbrd wrote:hippo gold

Not in Georgia, Arizona Guy :lol:

Good to see you in the state jason and I look forward to seeing you at some events.

Keith
keith johnson

Postby djester » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:37 pm

18 hole layout at central?? or the extra holes too?
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby keith johnson » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:41 pm

Both
keith johnson

Postby jritger » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:44 pm

KJ - What is supersized central? Can you tell us more about it before taking a poll?
jritger

Postby keith johnson » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:57 pm

Sort of what I've done for the FCO's, by choosing the best tee pad/ basket combinations for the 27 holes instead of using all blue/red etc.

I have designed an 18 hole course at Central using the same philosophy.

I called it "Supersized" because it encompasses the 27 hole layout, not just the 18 "open" holes or 9 wooded and 9 open holes that get played at times for doubles.

I also have 21 and 24 hole designs as well.
Central's flexibility lends itself to many configurations, and my love of designing fits in well there.

Trust me when I tell you that the "Supersized" course would be a challenging course. :D

Keith
keith johnson

Postby Funky Bobby J » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:21 pm

I think mixing the teepads like you do and throw in some OB rope and clean up of a few holes at Central sprinkle in a little wind and elevation - you could have a great course. Are the tee pads a concern, as the ground is eroding around some, I know a lot of people complain about them from time to time?

Let me know when & if you need help out there... I'd love to see someone raise it up a notch. It is good now, but it could be great. There are great holes out there that not everyone knows about because they only play from the reds.
Living in the United States where the hottest European import is Plutocracy...
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby Ridesbrd » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:54 pm

keith johnson wrote:
Ridesbrd wrote:hippo gold

Not in Georgia, Arizona Guy :lol:

Good to see you in the state jason and I look forward to seeing you at some events.

Keith

ooops good call keith, it all just seems the same to me out here, i keep forgetting that i go to SC all the time. Yea Keith hope to see ya soon, we can pow wow over a pepsi.
Ridesbrd
Champion Plastic

Postby noputtinsavage » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:31 pm

Central would be a good Atlanta location. It has not been here for awhile, and a great layout at Central would be nice.
I've been throwing these plastic things for way to long!
noputtinsavage
DX Plastic

Postby Vern » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:31 am

Ridge Ferry and tighten the OB. Would be a nice way to get folks from all over the state to see the course.
The Hula Hoop became so ubiquitous that the former Soviet Union banned the toy as a symbol of the "emptiness of American culture."
Vern
Champion Plastic

heads up

Postby Sue Anne » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:53 am

Just a heads up, in the past I thought Lake Russel was the perfect location for this type of event. I submitted a formal proposal and was told that in order to use the park, you would have to pay a hefty fee to reserve it.
Because the money should go to fund the entry fee, I always opted not to use that location.
I still think it is the best course for this type of thing... ...
Sue Anne
Barney

Postby Clunck » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:13 pm

Ridge Ferry Rocks!
That was in, cocker block doesn't count!
Clunck
Star Plastic

Postby Woodrow » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:35 pm

I prefer a series to determine 'our' rep. Seems a truer test of talent than one 'good' weekend. Where? All over. There's no one course that offers the challenge on par with Winthrop.
Woodrow

Postby Clunck » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:55 pm

Perkerson!!!
That was in, cocker block doesn't count!
Clunck
Star Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:28 pm

Woodrow wrote:I prefer a series to determine 'our' rep. Seems a truer test of talent than one 'good' weekend. Where? All over. There's no one course that offers the challenge on par with Winthrop.

I don't prefer a series for the fact it could end up just rewarding someone who can travel over the "best" player.

A "Supersized" Central, a tweaked Ridge Ferry or Lake Russell, while not being "EXACTLY" like Winthrop could offer a similar mental challenge and close enough skill challenge to be worthy of the USDGC state rep.

This is my opinion only and not intended to sway voters in any direction.

I am taking the stance that the players should choose how the player gets to the "big dance".

Keith
keith johnson

Postby keith johnson » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:29 pm

Clunck wrote:Perkerson!!!

There is no course there at this time Clunk, so it is not an option.
Maybe in 2009.
keith johnson

Postby tdg » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:57 pm

I think Woody's idea of a series has very good potential to explore.
That being said,the course that I feel would be the best is The Crucible in Athens. Just my 2 cents.
tdg
DX Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:23 pm

tdg wrote:I think Woody's idea of a series has very good potential to explore.
That being said,the course that I feel would be the best is The Crucible in Athens. Just my 2 cents.

John, I already posted why we couldn't use the Crucible, but it definately is the closest thing to Winthrop.

The problem with a series is trying to find time to add another series for people wanting to play the USDGC, and then we would still be having to figure out what courses to play.

Just my opinion.
keith johnson

Postby Woodrow » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:31 pm

keith johnson wrote:The problem with a series is trying to find time to add another series for people wanting to play the USDGC, and then we would still be having to figure out what courses to play.

Yeah, sounds like a lot of work. :?
Woodrow

Postby keith johnson » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:44 pm

Woodrow wrote:
keith johnson wrote:The problem with a series is trying to find time to add another series for people wanting to play the USDGC, and then we would still be having to figure out what courses to play.

Yeah, sounds like a lot of work. :?

Not alot of work, Mr. Smart Azz :lol:

It's trying to accomplish the goal of having the best possible candidate that's willing to go to the USDGC and that's easier to do with a one day event on a course set up to "simulate" Winthrop as much as possible.
Think of it as something like the Monday Qualifier at Winthrop, alot of top talent tries 2,3, or more times sometimes to make the cut and that's it if you DON'T make it.
There's no saying I'll get 'em at the next event, it's now or never!

Keith
keith johnson

Postby the invisible tree » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:39 pm

I think that having a one day event makes it much more likely that the best player won't go. The more data points there are the more accurate the conclusion that can be drawn. There are many players that could get hot on one day on a certain course and take the prize. Playing in the USDGC is a big prize. I'm ok with it being hard to earn. If it were me, I'd try using already established tournaments as the qualifying tournaments. It might have the side benefit of increasing pro participtation in those events.
the invisible tree
Barney

Postby richardhead » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:25 am

I've only been playing for 2 years. The last 2 state qualifiers were Q and Rand. Maybe not the most well known players in the country, but I would put them up against anybody on anyday. I wouldn't say that either of them got hot or lucky. They are solid players that deserved a shot at the Gold Course.
As far as the Monday qualifier goes, Rookie played great golf (which he always does) and he made it in. I wouldn't call that a fluke. Once again, a great player that deserved and earned a spot.
Jay Phillips
<EAT MY SKAT>
richardhead
Star Plastic

Postby $Dollar$ » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:44 am

the invisible tree wrote:I think that having a one day event makes it much more likely that the best player won't go. The more data points there are the more accurate the conclusion that can be drawn. There are many players that could get hot on one day on a certain course and take the prize. Playing in the USDGC is a big prize. I'm ok with it being hard to earn.

i agree
BAAAAKAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
$Dollar$
Champion Plastic

Postby richardhead » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:14 am

You only agree because you're jobless and still live with your mommy. So that means you can make every event in a series. That would result in you automatically winning. SLAM!!!! I still love you though.
Jay Phillips
<EAT MY SKAT>
richardhead
Star Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:21 am

the invisible tree wrote:I think that having a one day event makes it much more likely that the best player won't go. The more data points there are the more accurate the conclusion that can be drawn. There are many players that could get hot on one day on a certain course and take the prize. Playing in the USDGC is a big prize. I'm ok with it being hard to earn. If it were me, I'd try using already established tournaments as the qualifying tournaments. It might have the side benefit of increasing pro participtation in those events.

Data points are fine if you are trying to determine something long term.

2 rounds of disc golf on a day when it is the best of the best in the state gathered all trying to take away YOUR spot makes it as mentally challenging as it gets.
As I said before even the USDGC itself gives you only ONE DAY to try to make one of the 5 spots available.
As it seems to work fine and draw the best talent trying to get those spots for the USDGC at Winthrop, I think a 2 round event 1 day published WAAAY in advance played on a competitively set course, will draw the best players Georgia has to offer (that want to go to the USDGC) to that event.

This is why I started this thread, so that the PLAYERS could choose the course they would like to have the opportunity which gets them to the USDGC be played on.

Keith
keith johnson

t

Postby $Dollar$ » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:25 pm

I'm just happy to have any shot at WINNING the ga usdgc spot. in the 3 years that ive played our ga qualifier, Lake O was the only course i liked, but i still played anyway. regardless of where and when i will be there, happy to either win my spot or donate $25 to whoever wins to repersent our state, which i am happy to do.
BAAAAKAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
$Dollar$
Champion Plastic

Re: t

Postby keith johnson » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:30 pm

$Dollar$ wrote:I'm just happy to have any shot at WINNING the ga usdgc spot.

You still gotta beat me first. :shock:

:lol: :lol:
keith johnson

:]

Postby Sue Anne » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:15 pm

You will never be able to please everyone. Just make a decision and stick with it!! The best person for the spot gets it every year anyway!!!!
Sue Anne
Barney

Postby djester » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:57 pm

Sue.... (in Joey Tribionni voice) "how you doing?" followed by *the look* :lol:
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby boodogg » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:44 pm

Why not Patriots? I <3 that place.
Thanks for coming. Yeah come on!
boodogg
DX Plastic

Postby jaffmaster » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:37 pm

I vote Wills Park. We can play super-4.
"If you can't handle the action, leave it in the jaffer for someone who can." -Otis
jaffmaster
Barney

Return to Disc Golf Tournaments