Disc Golf Virgin

Questions & Answers

Moderator: ADGO BOD

Disc Golf Virgin

Postby bradschak » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:12 pm

I have never played disc golf before but I would like to get into it. Looks like a blast. I was wondering what the best way to get started would be. Also, I was looking over different places to play and was wondering if you just show up and start playing or if there is a "tee time" that needs to be set up. I don't want to look like a complete douche bag. I used to know people who played but have lost touch with them so I figure this would be another way to get started. Also, any advice on what discs a brand new player should get would be great help. Thanks.
bradschak
Barney

Re: Disc Golf Virgin

Postby Can't Hit Open Putts » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:26 pm

Get yourself a Roc or an XD for your 1st disc. They will pretty much go where you throw if you throw them flat. I'd play the short tees at Alexander park a couple of times to see if you still like it (you will!). Then I'd get a Sidewinder or a Valkyrie for your 1st driver.
As far as tee times, there is regular action at most parks and you can find it on this site's main page. You can show up early and most players are happy to assist a newbie. If you're intimidated by what you see don't worry we all started like you. Most of the action is between $5 -$15. If you don't want to donate the money, hang out and you might be able to hook up with a group.
If you want some regular action, there is a bag tag league at Lenora park starting next week on Thursday nights at 6:00 PM. You can sign up thru the P&R or follow the links on the Bag Tag thread in the GDGO forum.

I'll answer your next ? for you. You can find discs at Play it Again Sports in Snellville, Disk Stalker on Sugarloaf around the corner from Alexander and a few of the sporting goods stores around. Have Fun!
Is this post really necessary?
Can't Hit Open Putts
Champion Plastic

Postby billnchristy » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:46 pm

You can play any time you want (within park hours).

Good starter discs:

Leopard
Aviar

East Roswell Park might be a tough, trial by fire kind of affair, but you might just get hooked by the challenge.

Alexander Park in Lawrenceville is quite a bit easier and Lenora park in Snellville is wide open, nothing to hit...but the distance might be rough for a newbie.

We play all over the place and we have a ton of discs we could let you borrow or buy cheap....if not check out the PGA superstore and Play it Again sports, they sell discs.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby VERMIN » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:06 pm

I would also recommed getting a rainbow color afro wig, sunscreen, change for a dollar, a granola bar, pack of matches, water bottle, a pack of juicy fruit, and some kind of bag to carry all of that in as well as a few discs. Might be a good idea to keep a couple of McDonald's or DQ gift certificates around as well. Discs: Aviar, XD, Buzzz or Roc, Leopard or Sidewinder.

How to get started?? Go to the park and have fun.
Speakin' the vernacular of the peasantry. Poor little kid, I hope she gets home all right....Professor Marvel

Vern Williams - ADGO #120 - PDGA #27359
VERMIN
Star Plastic

Postby Mort » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:56 pm

bag

The disc you want to start out with is a putter which is an Aviar then look at a Valkyrie. Then find a
Discraft Buzz . Bring some water and a towel. And you can play anytime.

Mort

Mort
Barney

Postby 12StonesScott » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:44 pm

Sorry I missed this yesterday. The club forum doesn't get that much traffic and I overlooked it.

As Bill said, you can just show up and start playing. It's usually a little easier if you're playing with someone, particularly if it's someone familiar with the course, so that you don't have to invest too much effort in finding your way around. Most of the local courses are pretty easy to navigate, though. East Roswell Park is pretty self-explanatory, though people sometimes get a little confused after finishing Hole 3 and end up on the tee box for Hole 5, and I've known people to go through the woods to the tee for Hole 6 from the basket for Hole 4 instead of heading back along the trailers to 5. There's a PDF course map at http://www.roswelldiscgolf.org/sitebuil ... rsemap.pdf that you can print out and take with you if you decide to head there.

As Bill says, East Roswell can be a little frustrating for players of any skill level, as it's heavily wooded; you're guaranteed to hit plenty of trees, and there's lots of places where it's not hard at all to lose a disc in the kudzu and underbrush. But with the woods comes shade, which makes it a whole lot more pleasant to play in brutally hot weather like we're having now. And all in all, I don't know that hitting a lot of trees is all that much more discouraging for a beginner than throwing on wide open holes and having the disc go half as far as you think it should and 90 degrees off the line you were trying to throw.

I live right across the street from East Roswell Park, and since I work from home with a fairly flexible schedule, I could probably be available to show you around with a little advance notice. I'm sure I could also come up with a handful of beginner-friendly discs for you to experiment with (at least, I will after tomorrow afternoon -- most of them are loaned out tomorrow to the Roswell Rec and Parks summer camp for the kids to use). If you'd like to arrange a time, send me a PM here or just send an e-mail to info@roswelldiscgolf.org.

Alexander Park in Lawrenceville might be my first recommendation for someone starting out -- both sets of tee pads, the long and short, are concrete, which helps with footing; it's relatively easy to navigate (especially if you have a map; and much of it is relatively open (and even the wooded holes aren't as tight as those at ERP). But if you're in North Fulton or Cobb or points north and west, it'd be a pretty long drive to get there.

I don't consider Central Park in Cumming particularly beginner-friendly, either in terms of distance or navigability, but if you're up that way it is an option. Oregon Park (in NW Marietta near Dallas Highway (GA 120) and Due West Road would be another if you're in that part of town -- the first nine holes are relatively beginner friendly, at least (to be honest, I haven't played the course since it was expanded to 18 holes, though I hope to this weekend).

If you want to get a good feel for what the local courses are like, and to be able to get a lot of information about disc golf in general, you could do worse than to check out Disc Golf Course Review -- despite the name, the message boards there have a ton of information about the game in general, and the course reviews will generally give you a picture (often literally) of what the courses are like.

Innova Discs has a very comprehensive FAQ page for folks new to the game at http://www.innovadiscs.com/home/disc-go ... todiscgolf . Obviously the disc advice mentions only Innova products, but the information is relatively general except in that regard.

The other big name in discs, Discraft, also has a disc selection guide for new players, as well as a lot of how-to videos on their site.

Bill's disc suggestions are also good, though I think most absolute beginners will find it easiest to start with a putter (like the Aviar) and a general-purpose midrange (like the Shark, Mako, Spider, Coyote, Skeeter or Roc (among Innova discs). If you're accustomed to playing catch or Ultimate, you'll probably find that discs like the Mako or Skeeter fly the most like what you're used to. I'd also recommend starting out toward the lighter end of the weight range (and unfortunately, lighter-weight discs can be harder to find at local retailers) -- something in the 150g to 160g range would be ideal (and you're more like to find the Shark or Skeeter in those weights). You may be one of those rare prodigies who finds lightweight understable discs to be too prone to "turning over" (pulling hard to the right and diving toward the ground when thrown with a right-handed backhand motion), but most people have the opposite problem when starting out -- even "understable" golf discs will tend to go up sharply, stall out, and dive down and way to the left.

If you want to make things relatively easy in terms of getting beginner-friendly discs, Innova sells a starter set of three discs in DX plastic for beginners that generally contains a Leopard, Shark, and Aviar, all in the 150g range. The 150g Aviar may well be too light for you as a putter fairly soon after you start, but if you like I'd be happy to trade it out for you with a heavier Aviar if you decide that's the case (I'm trying to rebuild my collection of loaner discs that are beginner/kid-friendly). You can generally get the starter sets at PGA Tour Superstore, Dick's, Sports Authority, etc. for about $25. Note that they typically also sell starter sets in the higher-durability Champion plastic, but these are more expensive (closer to $45) and are typically in heavier weights; I also think the Valkyrie (driver) and Panther (midrange) are harder for a complete beginner to handle than the Leopard and Shark in the DX set.

If you're willing to make a little more of an investment in time and possibly gasoline, you could visit one of the local shops that specialize in disc golf gear -- Disc Caddie Golf inside BP Sports Collectibles on the Marietta Square, or Disc Stalker in Lawrenceville (just around the corner from Alexander Park); the aforementioned PGA Tour Superstore has locations in Roswell (less than two miles from East Roswell Park), Duluth, and Kennesaw and has recently started stocking a selection of disc golf stuff.

Let us know if you still have questions.
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Postby Lofstrand » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:19 am

No Tee Times. Sometimes courses can be reserved for organized tournaments, but this message board should keep you up to date on most happenings. Play as often as you can and watch what the better players do, youtube and on the course. Also, watch tutorials to see the variety of throws that are out there.

I would recommend a sidewinder for your driver, roc or buzz for midrange, and a putter of any variety (can't go wrong with an aviar). If you have no idea how one disc flies compared to another, check out Innova's flight chart. This should give you a rough idea how one disc is different from another in their intended flight path and the difference between overstable and understable. http://www.innovadiscs.com/downloads/disc-selection-charts.html
PDGA#29514
Lofstrand
Pro Plastic

Postby mrpbody33 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:55 am

**Multiple topics merged and moved to relevant forum.
Barry "Mr. P'body" Arnson
PDGA# 28128
ADGO# 133
http://discgolfatlanta.com/
mrpbody33

Postby 12StonesScott » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:29 am

Also meant to mention that once you get your feet wet, you may want to consider coming out to East Roswell Park on Monday nights for our weekly singles mini-tournament. We have a Recreational division that's intended for newer and less-skilled players that offers a good environment for playing in a competitive setting with other people in a friendly, non-threatening way. We maintain a handicap system based on how players perform, so even relatively new players still have a chance to contend any given week. You can play for only $2 if you elect not to participate in the optional ace pool ($1) or the 2 closest-to-the-pin contests ($1 each).
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Postby chain-gang » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:17 pm

The easiest way to go. Me and the boys are playing at Oregon Park in Marietta Sunday at 7am. If you are interested shoot me a PM. All you need is cold water, for we have too many discs to carry anyway. Very beginner friendly course if your near this part of town.
The 2nd is the ONLY amendment that protects the rest!
chain-gang
Barney

Postby VERMIN » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:09 pm

I am selling a preferred tee time booklet that allows you to play at any Public DG Course in the Atlanta area. It offers 10 rounds and I will schedule you to start any time you wish. All of this for only $25.00 cash.
Speakin' the vernacular of the peasantry. Poor little kid, I hope she gets home all right....Professor Marvel

Vern Williams - ADGO #120 - PDGA #27359
VERMIN
Star Plastic

Return to Q & A