Monthly Action at Flyboy

Carroll County - Whitesburg, Ga

Moderators: Fly Boy, ADGO BOD

Monthly Action at Flyboy

Postby Fly Boy » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:30 am

Just to make sure the word is out, I've reposted Chris's notice about Sunday 28 Feb Action at Flyboy here:

______________________________________________________________________________________
Tentative start time at 12pm on 2/28/10 assuming weather forecast looks good. Should the likelihood of rain on Sunday look too high, action will be moved to Saturday. That'll probably be announced by the Thursday before. Sign ins will start around 11:30, we'll assign people to groups at 12, and tee off once everyone gets to their hole (probably 12:15-12:30 actual start time).

The action is as follows

Only 2 divisions for this monthly (Pro and Advanced, sorry no age protection). Should the number of people necessitate it, other divisions may be added in future. Rec and Intermediate players are welcome but be warned: this course is not even close to beginner friendly. While it is one of the most beautiful and awesome courses on the planet, it does require a good degree of skill to play and not lose all the discs in your bag. If you don't play much or don't have many extra discs to lose, then proceed with caution.

Now, for those who weren't scared off

Pros: $20 basic action. This includes $10 towards payout, $5 towards 5 CTPs, discounted course fee $4, $1 ace fund. That's the basic package that all pros MUST get. For those brave souls who like a little more action in your lives, an OPTIONAL $20 more goes directly to bigger payout. Payout top third on basic action and then top third of whoever gets in on the bonus action. So to reiterate, $20 gets you in with the option to throw $20 more for a grand total of $40 potential Pro action.

Advanced: Same thing as above except your basic action is $15 ($5 instead of $10 goes to your payout, CTPs, course fee, and ace fund the same). You also have the option for more action. $15 extra for a total of $30 potential Advanced action.

Any Intermediates or Recs that show up must still pay $5 course fee to play, no exceptions. If you're not willing to part with $5 to play one of the best courses out there, then have fun at home

CTPs will be shared between divisions but they will be on holes where everyone has an equal chance. Hope to see a good turnoutere.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The wx forecast for next Sunday looks good...partly cloudy and 57 deg! There is rain forecast for the following day however, and if that shows up early, be heads up for the shift to Saturday. We'll post it here by Thursday.

A reminder about the Flyboy course fee Chris mentioned. This gets you 3 shots to win the hangar basket ace fund which is now at its max of $50. No one's count'n If multiple pople hit the hangar ace, the pot is split. See more details and a picture of the basket in its own topic on this forum. Chris will collect the course fee at sign in along with the rest of the action $$$, so you don't need to stuff it in the lock box this time.

Directions posted on my course page are still good. The Post Road bridge is still out.

Parking: All parking at my place will be up the hill next to the Leeland Cyprus trees on your left as you come in. Follow the cones and ropes in place.

Welcome committee: When you arrive, you will be greeted by two red dogs, Max and Morgan. They expect a little scratching behind the ear and the last bite of whatever you're munching on. WARNING!!! Morgan is like an unstoppable rebel force ferreting through your golf bag for goodies and your water bottle. Do not leave your car windows rolled down. She will enter the vehicle and shred what's left of your Zaxby's chicken and fries. You've been warned.

Keep your fingers crossed for great weather!

Kelly
Fly Boy
DX Plastic

Re: Monthly Action at Flyboy

Postby Corndawg13 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:26 pm

I hope to be out here for this but you never know!!! I am going to get 110 or lower soon!!!
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

Forsyth County Disc Golf Organization President
http://www.facebook.com/FCDGO
COME TO CP DUBS SUNDAYS AT 2!!!

If I don't respond to a post in due time, please message me on Facebook or call/text me, thanks!
Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Postby SlingShot » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:08 pm

Just got my schedule for next week and I am off on sunday! At last I will be able to come check this place out. Really looking forward to it. From all I have heard it is gonna be a great day.
Andrew Jenkins
SlingShot
Pro Plastic

Postby mason » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:28 pm

anyone going that lives neare the op or kennesaw?????????????? :?: :?: :?: :?:
AcenMason
mason
Barney

Postby millayday » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:27 pm

Better get you a bike and start pedalin mason. We dont take kindly to intermediate baggers out here at Flyboy :mrgreen: If you cant find a ride I'm sure dan or I can take you down. I know I'm plannin on being there pretty early to make sure that everything is as it should be, and I'll probably be out there pretty late, so it could be a long day. But let me know if you cant find another ride and we can work something out
millayday
DX Plastic

Postby mason » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:47 pm

ITS ON :!: chris. but i will let you know thanks for the info.
AcenMason
mason
Barney

Postby Corndawg13 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:38 pm

I really want to head down there this weekend but I am still uncertain. If I go, I could meet you (Mason) on 85 or 285. If not me, then someone heading that way should be able to meet you I would think. I want revenge on Flyboy for swallowing my favorite fairway driver!!!! HAHA!!!
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

If I don't respond to a post in due time, please message me on Facebook or call/text me, thanks!
Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Postby TokioJason » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:58 pm

When is the next monthly? i'd like to redeem myself for my poor round out there
TokioJason
Pro Plastic

Postby Fly Boy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:31 pm

With the ADGO event coming up in April, there won't be another monthly until probably May. You're welcome to come play though. Just let me know.
Fly Boy
DX Plastic

Postby Corndawg13 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:10 pm

Hey Kelly. I would love to come play Flyboy this week with my friend, who says he met you, Curt Hummel. I know Wednesday is supposed to be really nice. Is there a certain day this week that would be best to come play?? My putting has gotten better so I may not be as entertaining to you anymore, haha, sorry.
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Postby Corndawg13 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:11 pm

Tuesday, wednesday and thursday are the non-rainy days weather.com says.
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Postby Fly Boy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:22 pm

I'm headed to Australia for the week, but you can contact Brad Orman to get on the course. He's the man in charge while I'm gone.
Fly Boy
DX Plastic

Postby Dave B » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:48 pm

If anyone is heading down from Roswell/North Atlanta that wouldn't mind a Rec player tagging along, I wouldn't mind seeing what i'm getting into before the ignitor. Could kick in on gas or whatever.
Record Spinnin, Beat Making, and Disc Throwing. Life is good.
Dave B
DX Plastic

Postby Corndawg13 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:00 pm

I MAY BE heading down this week if I can get in touch with Brad. I live in Cumming.
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Postby dandaman » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:57 pm

I will definetly come out to play this course again...and hopefully claim the star t-bird that was fished out of #25.

Curious when will the next monthly be/when will the course be open again?
Johnson! Keep an eye on that Kherplakistan situation...
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby essouth » Sat May 01, 2010 8:30 pm

I'd love to play tomorrow.

Would that be possible? Is anyone interested?
essouth
Barney

Postby millayday » Sun May 09, 2010 7:02 pm

Just in case you haven't heard:

It's lookin like Sunday May 16th will be the next edition of monthly action at Flyboy. Same format as the last 2 times. $20 Pro ($10 payout, $5 CTPs, $4 discounted course fee, $1 ace fund), with an optional $20 more that goes directly to payout for whoever gets in on the extra action. Advanced $15 ($5 to payout, etc), with an optional $15 more for extra payout. There were several people last time who werent even in the top 3 in their divisions but they made more money than the guys in first because they got in on the extra action. Just food for thought. Recs and Intermediates are welcome but as of now I dont have any action set up for you. You must still pay the standard $5 Flyboy course fee to play. Lookin forward to seeing everyone out there
millayday
DX Plastic

Postby Fly Boy » Sun May 09, 2010 7:08 pm

Unfortunately, I'll be out of town for this one, so you guys are on your own. Please abide by the Runway rules, and remember the ban on disc grabbers in the lakes right now while the bass are bedding. Have a great time!
Kelly
Fly Boy
DX Plastic

Postby brad » Mon May 10, 2010 6:34 pm

hey Chris, I guess tee time will be @ 12pm?
brad
Barney

Postby millayday » Sat May 15, 2010 10:05 pm

Its lookin like the weather is gonna hold off until later in the day, so hoorah. 12 pm tee time. Last time sign in and hole assignment was chaos so this time groups and starting holes will be determined by drawing cards. If you absolutely must play with a certain person in your group just let me know and we'll make arrangements. Bring food and drinks as they will not be provided on site. Hope to see a bunch of folks out
millayday
DX Plastic

Postby bogeymaster » Mon May 17, 2010 10:16 pm

bogeymaster
DX Plastic

Postby millayday » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:11 pm

This months action at Flyboy will be on Saturday 7/31 at 12pm. Pro $20 ($10 to payout, $5 for 5 CTPs, $1 ace fund, $4 discounted course fee) with option for $20 more that goes straight to payout for whoever gets in on it. Advanced is the same except that it's $15 with option for $15 more. Hope to see a bunch of people out there
millayday
DX Plastic

Postby fleshy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:40 am

i was told their is action up there at noon this saturday the 24th of july - true?
is it just two divisions: pro and am?
cool.
can't wait if it's happening
fleshy
Barney

Postby Jay » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:52 pm

millayday wrote: 12 pm tee time.

1200am = 1200hrs
12:00pm = 2400hrs

:?:
Jay

....and on the eighth day, God created the U.S. Marines!
Jay
Star Plastic

Postby i2rt » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:10 pm

Jay wrote:

1200am = 1200hrs

Nope

12AM is 2400 hours or more correctly 0000 hours since there is no such thing as 2401, 2402, 2403, etc.
12PM is noon which is 1200 hours.
Bill Thornton
PDGA# 20980
i2rt
DX Plastic

Postby millayday » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:01 am

There in NO action this weekend 7/24. The action is next weekend 7/31. If you show up this weekend you'll probably be pretty lonely, and you might get chased off the property with a shotgun by Wayne. He's got to protect his veggie garden somehow :mrgreen: But the action for the 31st is just pro and am. Recs are welcome to come out, but they still have to pay the $5 course fee in order to play. I don't have any action set up for them but someone else is welcome to run it if they are so inclined
millayday
DX Plastic

Postby Jay » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:01 am

i2rt wrote:
Jay wrote:

1200am = 1200hrs

Nope

12AM is 2400 hours or more correctly 0000 hours since there is no such thing as 2401, 2402, 2403, etc.
12PM is noon which is 1200 hours.

What about Midnight (it's not called mid-day)
The question sometimes arises whether midnight is written as 2400 or 0000. Military and emergency services personnel refer to midnight both ways. However, digital watches and clocks that display time in a 24-hour format and computer equipment treat midnight as the start of a new day and express it as 0000.

Side note: No A/C for 4 days in da house can warp a mind drastically! :)
Jay

....and on the eighth day, God created the U.S. Marines!
Jay
Star Plastic

Postby Fly Boy » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:48 pm

Sounds like a great turnout in store for the Action next Saturday. Unfortunately, I will be half way around the world! Here are a few heads up items for you.

Chris Millay and Brad Orman will be running the show, giving the runway briefing, and handling logistics, so go to them with issues. They will be handling sign-in, waivers, and collecting $$.

If you want to buy anything in the Pro shop, the price list for everything will be posted there. Please serve yourself and put the money in the lock box in there.

After feeding us so many times at these events, we're giving Lillian the day off, so pack in your own lunch and drinks for this one. My gas grill is available, and I imagine it will see some serious action after the golf.

If anyone wants to camp Friday night, have at it.

The disc fishing ban is lifted. Disc grabbers are cool again.

Finally, as always, please continue to exercise extreme caution on the runway, and be aware you're on my neighbors' private property.

Hope everyone has a blast!
Kelly
Fly Boy
DX Plastic

Postby Fly Boy » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:27 pm

Huge thanks to Mark Cannon, and Mason for helping me with some much needed cleanup on the course. You guys rock!
Kelly
Fly Boy
DX Plastic

Postby millayday » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:03 am

Saturday is almost here. Just a few reminders for those who don't make it out to Flyboy regularly. You'll want to bring your own food and drinks. Often times these are supplied on site, but Kelly and his family cannot and should not be expected to supply 50+ disc golf hooligans with these items out of the kindness of their hearts. They're already way way too generous. Next, bring some discs that you don't mind losing. There's plenty of water to contend with and there's no sense in throwing away an important disc from your bag. The disc fishing ban has been lifted, so unless you just completely shank one into the center of one of the ponds you should be able to get your disc back with one of Kelly's badass retrieval devices. Or just go swimming after it. It's gonna be hot as hell, and I might throw one in the water on purpose just for an excuse to take a dip. Next, everyone needs to be respectful of the property and the neighbors. The runway is the epicenter of the neighborhood and it is to be feared and respected at all times. I should be there to regulate before anyone starts arriving, unless they get there by 11am on Friday :mrgreen: , but if the runway lights come on, get the hell away. Keep an eye on the sky. If you can see a plane above, there is a damn good chance that its about to land. So be very mindful of the runway. Lastly, bring money. Lots and lots of money :twisted: This is a private course and Kelly has put a ridiculous amount of his own money into making it as incredible as possible (and somehow he keeps improving on perfection). The course fee is included in the action, but there is now a pro shop inside with plastic for sale, plus towels, hats, shirts, and Flyboy custom stamp discs(one of the coolest stamps you will ever see on a disc). Buy a bunch of stuff and help out the cause. And extra donations are more than welcome too. Again the action is $20 pro (action, course fee, ace, CTPs) with option for $20 more straight to payout, and $15 advanced (same) with option for $15 more. Recs just pay $5 course fee. See everyone out there
millayday
DX Plastic

Postby atl scott » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:52 pm

What is the cost for camping/crashing in the hangar friday night?
atl scott
Pro Plastic

Postby millayday » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:46 pm

I hadn't really discussed that with Kelly, but I'd say just throw an extra $5 in the course fee box when you arrive and you should be good. I don't think you can beat those rates at any camp site around. And bring food. The grill will be fired up and ready for meat. Chilly Will and I have dibs on the beds upstairs, so anyone who does decide to camp will have to fight amongst themselves for a prime spot next to the hangar. We'll be organizing stick fights to the death to determine sleeping arrangements, so get there early so you can get a big stick
millayday
DX Plastic

Postby Fly Boy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:47 am

Just wanted to thank everyone who played Flyboy last Saturday for your donations to the cause. That money will go straight into the basket upgrade fund. We've already got 9 Mach 5 Pros ready to be placed on some of the choice holes on the course. Also thanks to Will, Chris, and Brad for holding down the fort while I was in Africa. See you at Hotlanta.
Kelly
Fly Boy
DX Plastic

Postby bigwill730 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:36 pm

Someone picked up my camp time chair from the hanger during the monthly.. i would love that back please
bigwill730
Barney

Postby millayday » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:35 pm

That was me. I've got that and your $62 winnings. So suck it
millayday
DX Plastic

Postby millayday » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:51 pm

I know it's kinda last minute notice, but the next installment of monthly action at Flyboy Aviation will be this Sunday 9/19. Sign ins from 11am-12pm with tentative tee off 12:15ish. Since this course is so long and you are stuck with your group for 5+ hours, I am allowing/encouraging people to make their own groups (3-4 per group. No 5somes). This is not mandatory. I will assign people to random groups if they do not have specific people that they want to play with. But if you know who you want to play with, make your card up when you sign in at the pro shop. I've found over the last few times running this that that approach works the best, and if everyone knows this beforehand there shouldn't be any delays in getting started.

The action is the same as always:

Pros: $20 basic action. This includes $10 towards payout, $5 towards 5 CTPs, discounted course fee $4, $1 ace fund. That's the basic package that all pros MUST get. For those brave souls who like a little more action in your lives, an OPTIONAL $20 more goes directly to bigger payout. Payout top third on basic action and then top third of whoever gets in on the bonus action. So to reiterate, $20 gets you in with the option to throw $20 more for a grand total of $40 potential Pro action.

Advanced: Same thing as above except your basic action is $15 ($5 instead of $10 goes to your payout, CTPs, course fee, and ace fund the same). You also have the option for more action. $15 extra for a total of $30 potential Advanced action.

Any Intermediates or Recs that show up must still pay $5 course fee to play, no exceptions. If you're not willing to part with $5 to play one of the best courses out there, then have fun at home. This month I will be allowing you guys to get in on the CTPs for $5 more (total $10 all in)

CTPs will be shared between divisions but they will be on holes where everyone has an equal chance. Hope to see a good turnout

:!: :!: :!: There is a special surprise in store for the participants in this month's action. I'm not gonna give you any hints, but you might want to wear a helmet so that it doesn't make a mess when Kelly blows your mind :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Last edited by millayday on Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
millayday
DX Plastic

Postby Rubiks » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:01 pm

millayday wrote:I know it's kinda last minute notice, but the next installment of monthly action at Flyboy Aviation will be this Sunday 9/18.

So is that Saturday 9-18 or Sunday 9-19?
Support Collegiate Disc Golf

National Collegiate Disc Golf Championships
Hippodrome Disc Golf Complex
April 12-15, 2012 in North Augusta, SC
Rubiks
Pro Plastic

Postby Fly Boy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:34 am

Sunday.
Fly Boy
DX Plastic

Postby millayday » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:29 am

Sorry, I had already changed that mistake on the info posted under the Rumors section but neglected to do so here. It is now correct. Sunday 9/19/10
millayday
DX Plastic

Postby celticbro » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Cool, Millay! Definitely coming out to explore this fine beast of a course for our first times (me and 2 buds). :D

So we will have 3 in our group, but is there a chance we could get one more person along with us to be a guide for the course? (since we're newbies to the world of Flyboy). We were probably gonna be playing Intermed so I guess we would need a fellow Int/Rec player to guide us? And keep the competition more even between us :lol:

Thanks,
Brian
celticbro
Barney

Postby millayday » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:28 pm

I think everyone is gonna need a guide on Sunday :twisted: I'm sure everything will work itself out, but there's definitely gonna be some surprises for the masses. Hoorah
millayday
DX Plastic

Postby celticbro » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:33 am

AWESOME!!! Lookin' forward to the 'Flyboy Experience' :D :) :shock: :? :lol:
celticbro
Barney

Postby celticbro » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:17 pm

It took me all of yesterday to recover from my first sojourn onto the wide, vast beautiful piece of disc golf nirvana known as Flyboy. (Man, I was so beat after Sunday evening, I almost called in to work on Monday, but I toughed it out anyhow). Also a first time for my buds WHA and Alex. Kelly was the coolest tour guide (and all around super guy) and he kindly showed us 3 'Flyboy virgin' homeys around this heavenly place. Pristine fairways with smooth bermuda grass on many of them.

Heck, I lost 3 discs out there (all victims of 'The Lake of Doom'), but it didn't even phase me. Just laughed LOL :lol: Oh, actually one disc may have floated up around 'Reverse 10' so Kelly, if you stumble across it, I'll just find it in Lost n Found next time. Yellow-lime Champion beast. So alas, I went OB 6 times, 5 times in water and once off runway. Shot in the early 120's :shock: but hey, score hardly concerned me. We were all in it for the experience and man, we had a total blast! :mrgreen:

Special thanks too to Millay and Justin for all their prep work out there. BBQ sandwiches, wrapped with love and care, from Kelly's mom. The hangar is a site to see and saw a few hummingbirds buzzing away around the rafters. ('Hmmmm.... check out these bigger, plastic cousins of ours!' lol) Oh, and Millay almost got only the 3rd-ever ace on the Hanger Hole. Skipped on roof and smashed dead in, then out. Next time I gotta give it a try.

Kelly and family, you are all THE BEST!!! Can't wait to come back hopefully next month (or Nov at latest) :D
celticbro
Barney

Return to Flyboy Aviation - Private Course