Regular juniors event series?

Questions & Answers

Moderator: ADGO BOD

Regular juniors event series?

Postby 12StonesScott » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:13 am

Broadening the conversation started in the Oregon Park forum (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2765) so that more folks will see it . . .

So how much interest would there be in a monthly juniors event, playing a regular rotation of different courses around the metro area? If you think it's something worth pursuing, please reply with your thoughts on what form it should take, scheduling, etc.

For example, it'd be good to get some ideas on what day of the week and time of day would be most convenient -- I'm assuming weekends would be best, but given the many activities all of our kids have going on, would mornings, early afternoons, or late afternoons be easiest to work with? Saturday or Sunday?

Would also be good to know if you'd prefer something completely free, or if having a small (ideally very small) entry fee and potentially getting some custom-stamped discs or t-shirts or something would be more appealing. Should we keep up with points on DiscGolfScene and have an overall series winner(s) at the end, or just have each month's event be a stand-alone deal?

Would it be a good or bad idea to include an occasional doubles format?

Any and all ideas/suggestions welcomed.
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Re: Regular juniors event series?

Postby richardhead » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:50 am

My daughter asks me every other day about playing in another tournament. My son is getting a little older too and I know the interest would be there for them. For our family, the earlier the better on Saturday or Sunday. I'd say keeping a small entry fee and possibly provide a series disc and trophies. Trophies to the top finishers of course, not everyone. This isn't Upward Disc Golf.

I'd be willing to collect donations for this. Maybe not money, but I can definitely gather some plastic and disc golf gear for CTP's and what not. I'd also be willing to run one of the "tournaments", if it would be held in my neck of the woods. Thanks for looking into this. We need more action for the chillins'.
Jay Phillips
<EAT MY SKAT>
richardhead
Star Plastic

Postby Funky Bobby J » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:01 am

The Johnson tribe would be interested too. I think that when school is in, later in the afternoon on Saturdays would be better so that kids who play sports could still have a shot at playing in the tournament.
Living in the United States where the hottest European import is Plutocracy...
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby billnchristy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:06 am

I was kicking around the idea of a roving womens league as well, maybe it would be a good idea to combine them...together but seperate...that way if women have children they have a place to be as well and there are no worries about babysitting.

Whoever wants to head this thing up get with me and we can make it real together.

I was going to follow the Gwinnett doubles league format but I agree that for kids the plastic is the way to go.

Oh yeah. I am also going to be ordering my PDGA grant clinic discs soon and I got a pretty darn good deal so if someone wants to piggyback and get a stack of DX for this we can do that too.

Either way, get with me.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby Can't Hit Open Putts » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:56 am

I'll run a event at Alex or Lenora. I have 2 that play with me that would enjoy the competition. Saturday before Sunday as some people might have conflicts with church. $10-$15 would be a fair and affordable cost per event. Piggybacking the ladies would also solve the problems of daycare that can impede signups. Summer tourneys would be better early as we don't want the kids to cook in the GA sun. Paying out plastic and prizes per event and trophies at the end of the series would please the kids but I would skip a series disc and get a bag tag instead. We could always ask for donations from the "Ams" that always win plastic to pick out something light for the kids?!?
"Fearlessly the Idiot faced the crowd, Smiling"
Can't Hit Open Putts
Champion Plastic

Postby billnchristy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:05 am

Thats why I was saying to piggy back with me, I am buying stock discs at < wholesale so we could get a stack of edge discs and 150 class for the older kids for less than even custom prices.

Maybe do a disc with entry into the "league" that way kids with no discs can still play?

Jay what course are you saying you would do it at?

I would think Oregon is in, ERP most likely, Alex, one in the south would be nice...P'tree city? and Central for Jay or are you saying Toccoa?
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby 12StonesScott » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:54 pm

Schedule-wise, I'm wondering how much we'd have conflicts with other activities on Saturdays. In the abstract, it makes a lot of sense, but I know from experience that, particularly for those of us with more than one kid, it's already difficult to schedule anything on Saturdays because a kid playing soccer (for example) may have games any time from 9 in the morning to 2:30 or 3 in the afternoon any given Saturday. Sundays are pretty open for us in the summer, but between Labor Day and the first of May our kids have religious school nearly every Sunday morning for 3 hours. And of course a lot of folks have church and related activities on Sunday mornings.

Given all that, I was wondering how mid-to-late afternoons on Sundays would work for others? Obviously, right now it's the hottest part of the day, and as the days get shorter it'd get harder to finish in daylight, but other than occasional birthday parties and such we don't generally have conflicts then.

Also, since we don't have much time left this year, and thus only four or five possible monthly events left, does it make sense to do a few months of free, low-key get-togethers as a sort of shakedown cruise for the idea? See how much interest we can muster, and if it seems to be successful, make a push to do it right with a small fee to go to bag tags/discs/trophies/etc. starting early next year?
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Postby billnchristy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:03 pm

That makes sense to me, key is DOING it. If you haven't noticed I get an idea and I run with it...otherwise it never happens...it might be hard to believe but I am a major procrastinator and if I do not have the project now now now it stagnates and never happens...look at my basement for proof.

The other thing is July/August is very light here (probably for good reason) on the tourney scene...maybe exploiting that for the first event would be a great idea.

I would still almost suggest running one a month to see which locations get the most attendence.

Also, my mixed dubs league is just finally getting momentum so lets try not to run on the last sunday of the month.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby 12StonesScott » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:51 am

billnchristy wrote:That makes sense to me, key is DOING it. If you haven't noticed I get an idea and I run with it

I have noticed. It's one of the things I admire about you.

billnchristy wrote:The other thing is July/August is very light here (probably for good reason) on the tourney scene...maybe exploiting that for the first event would be a great idea.

I would still almost suggest running one a month to see which locations get the most attendence.

Also, my mixed dubs league is just finally getting momentum so lets try not to run on the last sunday of the month.

Would still like to get input from others on scheduling, but I'm inclined to shoot for doing a first event around the middle of August -- I know the first weekend is going to be hectic for us with Aliza just getting back after a month away at camp. Also the Alexander Aerial Armada is the first weekend of August. There doesn't seem to be anything the second weekend. So . . . how would something late afternoon on Sunday, August 15th work for everyone? Sunset is 8:23 pm, so we could start as late as 4:30 or 5 pm and probably have enough daylight to finish. Maybe do an optional potluck picnic or order pizzas or something for afterward?

Thoughts on location? We could certainly do it at ERP, as it'd be convenient for our family, but we'll have had two significant events there (Bill's women's tourney and the doubles event this weekend) there in the last couple of months, and it'd probably be a good idea to spread things around some.

One potential problem with the second Sunday for the following month is that the GSSS #5 is at Lake Russell that weekend, but we could probably slide it back a week -- there doesn't look to be anything that weekend (Sept. 19) that would conflict.

But please . . . I'm just spitballing ideas here . . . anyone feel free to jump in and make other suggestions if there's things you don't like about it.
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Postby billnchristy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:05 am

Seems Oregon should be the place to start since they started it. :)

I was thinking Oregon, ERP, Alex, and something down south...Village Green perhaps?

Later on Redan, Central?
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby Funky Bobby J » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:09 am

Sequoia would be a good place too. Have the older kids play 2 laps of 12 (or 18) and the littler kids play 12 and then have some field events while the older kids finish. I have thought about doing one at Central, but it is a horrible place for younger kids. It is just so much walking. I know that so many of the Jr events have some really young kids - just not sure if they could make the circuit. For a little older kids, it could be really fun.
Living in the United States where the hottest European import is Plutocracy...
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby billnchristy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:15 am

Yeah that is true, Seqouyah would be great and a good idea on doing 2 loops.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby whalaw » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:07 pm

12StonesScott wrote: There doesn't seem to be anything the second weekend. So . . . how would something late afternoon on Sunday, August 15th work for everyone? Sunset is 8:23 pm, so we could start as late as 4:30 or 5 pm and probably have enough daylight to finish. Maybe do an optional potluck picnic or order pizzas or something for afterward?

School will be back in session for many in Metro Atlanta beginning the first week of August. So, a late start time, particularly with picnic/pizza added afterwards, may be problematic for many potential participants.
whalaw
Barney

Postby billnchristy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:03 am

Lots of good talk Saturday...whats the verdict? When is the first round?
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby jjincanton » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:29 am

On Saturday at Damn Tree, I met and spoke with several of you including Scott, William and Craig. I'm fired up and my last conversation with Craig was to have a Junior event at Oregon Park in the morning on Saturday, July 24th. I'd like to have a rolling event, possibly weekly, moving between Oregon Park, Sequoyah, East Roswell, Central and others. Pairing with the "Ladies" sounds good as well. Other activities and siblings may be problematic but lets give it a try. I'm creating a flyer and will forward it to anyone who can post it at their local park.

Jeff: 678-634-7775
jjincanton
Barney

Postby 12StonesScott » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:06 pm

jjincanton wrote:On Saturday at Damn Tree, I met and spoke with several of you including Scott, William and Craig. I'm fired up and my last conversation with Craig was to have a Junior event at Oregon Park in the morning on Saturday, July 24th. I'd like to have a rolling event, possibly weekly, moving between Oregon Park, Sequoyah, East Roswell, Central and others. Pairing with the "Ladies" sounds good as well. Other activities and siblings may be problematic but lets give it a try. I'm creating a flyer and will forward it to anyone who can post it at their local park.

Would definitely like to see Alexander in the mix, partly because I'd like an excuse to head out there more often, but also because I think it's a great course for juniors to play -- enough challenge to keep it interesting, but very few places where you're likely to hit trees on several shots on the same hole.

I'd also caution that it may be tough to get enough people to commit to a weekly series, rather than monthly or twice-monthly, right away. On the other hand, it does give people more chances to come give it a try. Just be prepared for it to take a while to get the pump primed and get people coming out regularly -- I think that's been the experience we've all had in starting up something new -- the response may be underwhelming at first, but you just have to keep putting it out there and encouraging people to come, and eventually it'll begin to pick up momentum.

If we want to do so, I can create a new league on Disc Golf Scene to serve as a central source of information and publicity, track results, etc.
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Postby billnchristy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:46 pm

Please note that though we are pairing up things will be completely seperate so yous guys don't need to worry about the ladies. I just wanted to run in conjunction so there is a chance for those with children to come out and play in both leagues.

We will set up to start on the other side of the park and be completely seperate.

Just wanted to be 100% on that. We will be doing monthly, it will be hard enough to get enough girls out for a monthly until we grow some momentum. I think doing monthly for the kids is wise too as Scott said, or you could do a monthly formal league with weekly informal meetings for those that want to come out and play.

Lastly, this is an awesome step forward for the women and juniors, we are finally doing what other regions have done for a while now. :clap:

Thanks for letting me piggy-back, I think it will help draw both more women and juniors.

My thought for the womens league when I was looking to run it alone was if a woman came out and played and her home park was different from any we were doing we could add it, that way you are going where your demand is and not shooting in the dark.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby jjincanton » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:22 pm

OK...There's already a small scheduling conflict; 24th is out, 31st is in. Junior's event to be held Saturday July 31st, 10:00 AM at Oregon Park.

I agree weekly is probably agressive...but a nice goal! After we play on the 31st, let's talk and plan for future events. Twice monthly may be doable and any park is fine. Women's league as a piggy-back is great.

jjincanton
Barney

Postby BP » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:48 pm

Jeff,

Is this confirmed and book with Oregon Park? Just wondering if I have just yet to hear about it...

jjincanton wrote:OK...There's already a small scheduling conflict; 24th is out, 31st is in. Junior's event to be held Saturday July 31st, 10:00 AM at Oregon Park.

I agree weekly is probably agressive...but a nice goal! After we play on the 31st, let's talk and plan for future events. Twice monthly may be doable and any park is fine. Women's league as a piggy-back is great.

Jeff: 678-634-7775 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              678-634-7775      end_of_the_skype_highlighting
Bob Pressley
PDGA # 42766
http://www.disccaddie.com
Marietta Square
BP
Pro Plastic

Postby craigd » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:45 pm

Just an update with as much news as I have for now. There will more details to come but it is safe to mark your calenders. The final date for the first Juniors event will be July 31, 2010 at 10am. The first event will indeed be at Oregon Park. Please try to be at the course no later than 9:30am to sign up. It will be one round of 18 holes and we might be able to have different divisions if enough kids show up. This first event will be totally FREE to play and we will also have multiple FREE CTP's. We will consider splitting those up for skill levels as well to at least insure everyone has a shot. Everyone is welcome. I am inviting a few neighbors who's kids have never thrown a disc so there is going to be a lot of skill levels represented.

Thanks to the Cobb Disc Golf Club we are also hoping to secure one of the pavilions and (hopefully) a discounted after round lunch at Johnny's pizza. We are definitely looking forward to the club's hospitality while we visit the park. Also Disc Caddy might be there and might have some prizes to throw in as well. There's more info to come so please stay tuned for further details.

One last request. If you have a junior boy or girl that plans on playing, PLEASE shoot us an email or reply to this thread with the age, gender, and skill level so we can try our best to prepare. You can reach us at atlantajuniordiscgolf@gmail.com or as mentioned above you can reach us by phone, Craig 404-867-4254 or Jeff 678-634-7775

Finally, as a reminder, Bill is going to run a womans only event at the same time (as he mentioned above). Please encourage the ladies to come out too. There will be plenty of adults watching the younger ones so the moms can feel free to relax and enjoy some friendly ladies only action.
Craig Dickerson
PDGA# 38061
ADGO# 258
craigd
Pro Plastic

Postby 12StonesScott » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:02 pm

Looks like my son Ari and I will be able to make it. Age 13, most of his recent tourney rounds have been rated just below 700, with one 714 thrown (pun intended) in. Let us know if there's anything we can do to help with prep, etc.
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Postby Lewis » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:37 pm

I've spoken with the Cobb Disc Golf Club's TD, Wayne, and as far as either of us know we don't have anything else planned as far as disc golf for that weekend. I would strongly advise speaking with our club's President, Mike Carruth, both to get it on his radar and because he's our club's main liaison with Cobb County Parks & Recreation, and they're the people you go through to reserve the pavilions. You could do it no problem without our help, but Mike may be able to tell you exactly the right person to talk to so you make sure to avoid conflicts. It's also good publicity for the county to know that we're using the course for juniors' and women's events, in addition to the mostly grownup men stuff. I know there are at least two good pavilions to use in the park, but they're frequently used for cookouts and birthday parties this time of year, so you'll probably want to see about registering them ASAP. Wayne or Jo Kiddle could tell you what it normally costs to reserve a pavilion. So far we haven't had to play to close the course for a tournament, but I get the impression y'all aren't planning on needing to do that.

Also something worth considering is that alternate "short" pin positions exist for all of the original 9 holes at Oregon Park, and the club's officers could probably move them to the short positions if you want. It's just a matter of having someone there who knows the code on the padlocks. Bill, Scott, or Craig, if you want to walk the course with me and let me show you where these short positions are, I'll be happy to do it on a Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday over the next week or so. Anyone who has played in our $2 Tuesday Doubles has probably seen some of these alternate positions set up from time to time.

In any event, as far as I'm concerned, this event is more than welcome to start at Oregon Park, and I'm sure I can speak for our club in saying we're happy to help if you need it.
Lewis
Champion Plastic

Postby craigd » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:25 pm

Well we are all set and looking forward to the first event at Oregon Park. We have a good mix of ages and a good mix of boys and girls. If you can't RSVP don't worry about it, just come on out. We will be at one of the pavilions. We have a group of experienced players and some new players as well. We will be playing one round. The Experienced players will play from the short pads. The younger one's and brand new players will play the original 9 holes and we will set up some "kiddie" pads. Again, anyone is welcome.

Players list so far, hopefully more will show up day of...

BOYS
Ari W. Chris J. David J. Josh T. Justin D. Matthew A. Michael M. Robbie K.

GIRLS
"Z" B. Ashley S. Mary Ellen A. Emma D.

Updated info.

Again this event is FREE! The first 15-20 players will get a players pack including a mini, a coupon for a free ice cream from Dairy Queen, stickers, and some other small goodies.

We will have lots of CTP prizes including, two birdie bags, a disc, four aluminum water bottles, and more!

We have discs for first place in each division.

Johnny's Pizza is offering two-1 topping slices and a drink for $4.99. DQ is right behind so can cash in those coupons afterwards pizza

Thanks to Bob at Disc Caddy for helping out with the merchandise. He will be out there helping out and he will have some disc for sale. Thanks to Bill who is donating some things as well.

We will Plenty of water and adults to help out. Try to make it if you can.
Last edited by craigd on Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Craig Dickerson
PDGA# 38061
ADGO# 258
craigd
Pro Plastic

Postby billnchristy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:00 pm

I am bringing some stuff for the chillins.

Anyone want to do a disc swap meet at future events?
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby craigd » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:39 pm

What a great time we had today! 17 kids showed up and I think everyone had a great time. Thanks to Bob and Disc Caddy for coming out and giving us a hand. Jeff Jackson and Scott Walker played a huge part in the set up all the way through payouts. Thanks to the mom's and dad's who "caddied" and helped keep score. Over all I would say it was a success. I am looking forward to the next one.

We had originally thought about using Alex or Lenora for the next event but because potentially we will still be dealing with a lot of heat we are going to do it at East Roswell Park. We will catch Gwinnett when it cools off a bit, probably September. More details and a date for the East Roswell event will follow.

Scores (played from the short pads)...

Ages 14-16
Hayden 54
Andrew 55
Joshua G. 65
Robbie K. 79

Ages 10-13
Justin D. 60
Chris J. 61
Ari W. 64
Ryan H. 82
Josh T. 88

Ages 9 and under
David J. 72
Michael M. 89

Girls (played a shortened 9 holes, based on the original OP layout. Most holes were in 125'-200' range)
Ashley S. 45
Emma D. 46
Mary Ellen A. 48
Z B. 50
Chelsea 53
Matthew A. 55 This was 8 year old Matthew's first time playing so we let him play the short course.
Craig Dickerson
PDGA# 38061
ADGO# 258
craigd
Pro Plastic

Postby 12StonesScott » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:07 am

Great job Craig and Jeff getting everything pulled together for this. Ari had a great time, and is looking forward to having home course advantage next time out :D .

Thanks also to Bob from Disc Caddie Golf for coming out and supporting events for women/juniors.

Looking forward to helping host everyone at ERP next month.
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Postby whalaw » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:52 pm

I'm glad everything went well. We are looking forward to the next one at East Roswell.
whalaw
Barney

Postby BP » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:27 pm

You guys did a great job for your first run and the crowds are sure to get bigger next month!
Bob Pressley
PDGA # 42766
http://www.disccaddie.com
Marietta Square
BP
Pro Plastic

Postby craigd » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:39 am

Well with the success of the first "Atlanta Junior Disc Golf" event we are looking forward to the next one. The second event will be at East Roswell Park on August 28th. Tee off is scheduled for 10:00am. Please try to be there no later than 9:30 to get signed in. This will be one round of 18 holes. We will also have different divisions for age and skill levels. All kids 16 and under are welcome. We will have multiple CTP's and prizes for the winners. We will probably just do 9 holes with shortened pads for the little ones since it works out well last time.

Although not nessasary, PLEASE shoot us an email or reply to this thread with the age, gender, and skill level so we can try our best to prepare. You can reach us at atlantajuniordiscgolf@gmail.com or you can reach us by phone, Craig 404-867-4254 or Jeff 678-634-7775.

We are gratefully accepting donations for prizes. If you have some things laying around that you think would work well for CTP prizes let us know! We are hoping to give a disc to the winner of each division. Also, each new comer will get a small players pack to welcome him or her to the group. We are including a mini in the pack. If you have extra mini's laying around, let us know.

It is looking like Lenora will be the course for the end of September. Alex may be too crowded with the Saturday morning dubs going on. We will keep you posted.

Sorry to be so long winded but one more thing. If anybody wants to participate in any capacity with these kids please come on out. I am sure they will enjoy all of the attention.
Craig Dickerson
PDGA# 38061
ADGO# 258
craigd
Pro Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:47 am

Well maybe NOVEMBER for Lorelei - Hotlanta in AUG, GSSS Finale at Central in SEPT, and we'll be in VEGAS in OCT at the end of these 3 months. :(
Father of Future World Champion Lorelei Johnson #13697
keith johnson

Postby billnchristy » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:52 am

She can play with the women too Keith, she is good enough.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:03 pm

billnchristy wrote:She can play with the women too Keith, she is good enough.

The same dates is what creates the same issues - not who she plays with - she is with me helping, or out of town on those end of month dates which makes it difficult to play. :mrgreen:

She has and will participate in the Events when we are in town and with Fright Flight moving to the 9th of OCT we can now defend our POP/PUP title also! :D
Father of Future World Champion Lorelei Johnson #13697
keith johnson

Postby billnchristy » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:35 pm

Oh I understand the date conflict, just pointing out that if she wants she can play with the big girls.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby craigd » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:29 pm

Jeff put together a nice Shutterfly site and added pictures of the event out at Oregon Park. Check them out!

http://atlantajuniordiscgolf.shutterfly.com
Craig Dickerson
PDGA# 38061
ADGO# 258
craigd
Pro Plastic

Postby 12StonesScott » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:49 pm

Pics from the August event at ERP now posted to the Shutterfly site: http://atlantajuniordiscgolf.shutterfly ... ctures/178
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Postby jjincanton » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:15 pm

The Atlanta Junior Disc Golf Club is holding its third JUNIOR event on September 25th at Sequoyah Park. Registration will begin at 9:00 with play commencing at 9:30. Play will consist of two 12-hole rounds and girls/beginners will have the option of playing 1 round with shortened holes. All juniors 16 and under are welcome. The cost to play is $5.00 which is to cover prizes and CTP's.

Age Brackets as follows:
14-16
11-13
10 and under
Beginner/girls (unless girls want to play against the boys)

Although it isn't necessary, PLEASE shoot us an email or reply to this thread with age, gender, and skill level so we can try our best to prepare. You can email us at AtlantaJuniorDiscGolf@gmail.com or by phone, Craig 404-867-4254 or Jeff 678-634-7775.

We are gratefully accepting donations for prizes. If you have some things laying around that you think would work well for CTP prizes, let us know.

The park address is:

Sequoyah Park
7000 Vaugn Rd
Canton GA 30115

FYI...The last event had 19 players and some nice competition. With you're help and player attendance, we'll develop an amazing group of young disc golf players!
jjincanton
Barney

Postby 12StonesScott » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:19 am

12StonesScott wrote:Pics from the August event at ERP now posted to the Shutterfly site: http://atlantajuniordiscgolf.shutterfly ... ctures/178

Just realized that only a small portion of my pix uploaded. Re-uploading the rest now.
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Return to Q & A