60%
Pat Buchanan
3%
Sometimes
26%

Total votes : 35

Do cameras work you?

Postby mrpbody33 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:34 pm

As the sport of disc golf grows (Yes Chuck...the sport is growing) I am finding that coverage of disc golf is becoming more prevalent. No longer are we thrust into tiny blurbs and page fillers in local periodicals. We have photographers on the course and people actively filming events now. So how does one feel about these cameras? Do they work you? To they make you perform feats of disc golf wizardry?

I for one get worked by the camera almost every time. If I have the slightest clue someone is taking my picture I will screw up even the simplest of shots. :oops:
Barry "Mr. P'body" Arnson
PDGA# 28128
ADGO# 133
http://discgolfatlanta.com/
mrpbody33

Re: Do cameras work you?

Postby Rubiks » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:25 pm

I've only been filmed/photographed on a couple of occasions and if anything, it makes me slow down and concentrate a little bit more on each shot. Thus I'm less likely to make careless errors. Though I do have a very "me vs. the course" mentality, which lends to the philosophy that I can screw up shots on my own, and can't really blame cameras, other players, etc.
Support Collegiate Disc Golf

National Collegiate Disc Golf Championships
Hippodrome Disc Golf Complex
April 12-15, 2012 in North Augusta, SC
Rubiks
Pro Plastic

Postby $Dollar$ » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:55 pm

The majority of people taking pics at tournaments seem to know enough to not get directly in the way. I dont think that I've ever had to ask one to move, but have seen many other players do it. During the last round of the ATL Open, a woman taking pictures stood less than 20 ft directly behind the basket when I had a 45 footer. I probably should have asked her to move, but ended up draining the putt anyway. And it felt better than it would have had someone not been behind the basket.

Disc golfers are whiney babies in comparison to Pro Ball Golfers. The guys on the PGA tour have to hit between rows of spectators on both sides of their line. The only time they seemed phased is when they hear the clicking in their backswing. I think that's how it should be for Disc golf, but I know that getting action shots in DG is no easy job. The best DG pics are right when the disc has left the hand, so timing that without clicking in the backswing is not always easy. (If you're wearing headphones it doesnt matter)

Disc golfers definitely need to get used to cameras being in their line of vision. As long as the cameraman isn't moving around a lot there should be no problem.
BAAAAKAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
$Dollar$
Champion Plastic

Postby Can't Hit Open Putts » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:26 pm

I believe they steal my soul.
"Fearlessly the Idiot faced the crowd, Smiling"
Can't Hit Open Putts
Champion Plastic

Postby Phoenix » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:51 pm

Rubiks wrote:I've only been filmed/photographed on a couple of occasions and if anything, it makes me slow down and concentrate a little bit more on each shot. Thus I'm less likely to make careless errors. Though I do have a very "me vs. the course" mentality, which lends to the philosophy that I can screw up shots on my own, and can't really blame cameras, other players, etc.

My first thought when I saw this topic was when the camera crew from the Clash DVD series decided to follow our group at Nationals for precisely one hole. Chris and I were playing alternate shot doubles and after making simple errors on our first two shots Chris hit at least a 50 footer downhill and they made it highlight #1 on the coverage the next day. It can be seen at 1:10 into this video: http://www.blip.tv/file/3500301?filenam ... ips956.flv
Last edited by Phoenix on Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phoenix
DX Plastic

Postby 12StonesScott » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:03 pm

$Dollar$ wrote:The majority of people taking pics at tournaments seem to know enough to not get directly in the way. I dont think that I've ever had to ask one to move, but have seen many other players do it. During the last round of the ATL Open, a woman taking pictures stood less than 20 ft directly behind the basket when I had a 45 footer. I probably should have asked her to move, but ended up draining the putt anyway. And it felt better than it would have had someone not been behind the basket.

Disc golfers are whiney babies in comparison to Pro Ball Golfers. The guys on the PGA tour have to hit between rows of spectators on both sides of their line. The only time they seemed phased is when they hear the clicking in their backswing. I think that's how it should be for Disc golf, but I know that getting action shots in DG is no easy job. The best DG pics are right when the disc has left the hand, so timing that without clicking in the backswing is not always easy. (If you're wearing headphones it doesnt matter)

Disc golfers definitely need to get used to cameras being in their line of vision. As long as the cameraman isn't moving around a lot there should be no problem.

It's good to hear you say that -- I've generally tried to err on the side of caution when positioning myself to shoot disc golf tournaments, but at the same time the best shots are nearly always the ones where you can see the player's face -- which means being somewhere in front of where they're throwing. I prefer to be somewhere in front but off to the side, far enough out of the line of play that the player should be focused elsewhere, and if I'm not moving around I hope I'm not too much of a distraction (I try to slip behind trees and such when possible, but when you're as big as I am only a California redwood is going to hide you completely -- also try to wear greens and browns so that I don't look like an over-inflated beach ball bouncing around out there).

If I'm shooting near where players are throwing, and there's any question in my mind about whether they can hear the shutter click, then I try to wait until they're just past their release point before the first exposure, so that any sound from my camera's happening after the disc is out of their hand and can't possibly affect their shot. It's difficult to time it perfectly, but I hope that I'm generally late enough on it that even if they haven't released yet, their ears and brain don't process the sound until after they have released. It may mess with their head on the next shot, I guess, but I never want to be the direct cause of someone losing their concentration in the middle of a shot. That's the main reason I try to shoot from as far away as I can, given the course layout, the light/shadows, and the length of the lens I'm using -- I could get much better shots being closer, but there'd be no hiding myself or the shutter clicks.

I also hope it helps that I play, however badly, so I have a sense of what a player is trying to do and can anticipate to some extent where I will and won't be a problem.

The Final 9 rounds at Am Worlds were a particular challenge, as the temp layout had several holes in very close proximity, and it was often difficult to be anywhere near action on one hole without being in the way of players on other holes.
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Postby grease » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:26 pm

Cameras at the Tim Selinski Masters in Augusta worked me. They cost me 33 strokes and the win. Damn them!
Fart, it's never not funny!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby djester » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:12 am

Camera's with very bright red flashing LED's on them work players.... even from 250 feet away.

Right Woody ?
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby mrpbody33 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:20 am

djester wrote:Camera's with very bright red flashing LED's on them work players.... even from 250 feet away.

Right Woody ?

Bwahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
PDGA# 28128
ADGO# 133
mrpbody33

Postby VERMIN » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:40 am

It is better to have someone taking photos than artists trying to draw you. It gets tiring to hold a pose for a long time and it also backs up the speed of play so everyone gets bunched up. I like getting my photos after an event and I would only request a photographer not be directly in my line. With a face as pretty as mine I want all of the photos I can get so I can admire myself. 8)
Speakin' the vernacular of the peasantry. Poor little kid, I hope she gets home all right....Professor Marvel

Vern Williams - ADGO #120 - PDGA #27359
VERMIN
Star Plastic

Postby Steve Adams » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:29 am

Sometimes I'll let them work me. Generally not. I typically don't hear the clicking of camera's. Not sure if that's due to mentally focusing on my shot or just bad hearing . But I can pretty much hit shule whether the camera is there or not. :|
PDGA# 34138
ADGO# 134
Steve Adams
Pro Plastic

Postby Wookie » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:44 am

I am not good enough to have a camera taking pictures of me, so it doesn't matter either way. :lol:
Use the "force" only for good, never for evil

PDGA 24474
ADGO 127
Wookie
Champion Plastic

Postby mrpbody33 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:22 am

I with you on that Wookie but it still pretty cool to have pictures of yourself. I taken pictures of myself and friends playing rounds with a point and shoot camera but it never matches the quality of someone with a SLR. I mean look at this cool picture taken by Scott Walker (with a little photoshop by me).

PDGA# 28128
ADGO# 133
mrpbody33

Postby 12StonesScott » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:24 am

mrpbody33 wrote:I with you on that Wookie but it still pretty cool to have pictures of yourself. I taken pictures of myself and friends playing rounds with a point and shoot camera but it never matches the quality of someone with a SLR. I mean look at this cool picture taken by Scott Walker (with a little photoshop by me).

Not to quibble, especially with someone who's being complimentary, but that one actually was taken with a compact camera, not a DSLR. That was when I had the little Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5 -- good quality Leica lens and really nice overall performance for a $350 camera, but nothing to compare with a quality SLR. I just spent what is, for me, a pretty big chunk of change on my new Pentax and lenses for it, but the pictures I'm taking with it are only better than those I shot with the Lumix in purely technical ways (higher resolution, less noise on low-light stuff, no purple fringing on highlight edges, etc.).

The camera you have with you will always take better shots than the one that's in the closet at home. Beyond that, there's two approaches to taking decent pictures: one is to carefully consider all aspects of the shot (composition, lighting, exposure, aperture, depth of field, etc.), and the other is to just keep pointing the lens at anything that moves and press the shutter button enough times that something decent happens occasionally purely at random. I'm in the latter camp.
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Postby mr.disc » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:27 pm

slam.
"Feared by deer, Adored by women"
mr.disc
Champion Plastic

Postby djester » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:30 pm

12StonesScott wrote:
mrpbody33 wrote:I with you on that Wookie but it still pretty cool to have pictures of yourself. I taken pictures of myself and friends playing rounds with a point and shoot camera but it never matches the quality of someone with a SLR. I mean look at this cool picture taken by Scott Walker (with a little photoshop by me).

Not to quibble, especially with someone who's being complimentary, but that one actually was taken with a compact camera, not a DSLR. That was when I had the little Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5 -- good quality Leica lens and really nice overall performance for a $350 camera, but nothing to compare with a quality SLR. I just spent what is, for me, a pretty big chunk of change on my new Pentax and lenses for it, but the pictures I'm taking with it are only better than those I shot with the Lumix in purely technical ways (higher resolution, less noise on low-light stuff, no purple fringing on highlight edges, etc.).

The camera you have with you will always take better shots than the one that's in the closet at home. Beyond that, there's two approaches to taking decent pictures: one is to carefully consider all aspects of the shot (composition, lighting, exposure, aperture, depth of field, etc.), and the other is to just keep pointing the lens at anything that moves and press the shutter button enough times that something decent happens occasionally purely at random. I'm in the latter camp.

Hey!!!! The camera in my closet works great.... just don't tell my wife :shock:

:P
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

IN YOU FACE ...not FOX5

Postby JPZ » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:18 pm

I actually don't mind the camera(s). I think that this...

...is ideally where players/TD's/sponsers would like for our sport to be headed.
and
some can't handle the press-(ure) of a camera right in there face!!!

But others find a way to tune it out and play there own game. You know,

THAT...
"me vs. the course" mentality"

Those are the ones who continue to do good under pressure no matter what kind!
:mrgreen: Don't get all giddy GT, just using that quote as an example :mrgreen:
JPZ
Champion Plastic

Postby Mr-Disc » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:01 pm

As the sport of disc golf grows (Yes Chuck...the sport is growing)

seeing how you called me out I just could not resit the urge to replay.
According to the PDGA site There are 13455 current members. so the sport of pro disc golf has grown 3455 current players over the last 30 years??? Wow thats just phenomenal...

reasons cameras are every where is simple the digital age, everybody has some type of digital camera even on a phone.
still no major sponsor for disc golf, more people play now than ever, more places to play, It is still viewed as an recreational sport, millions play the game but only a few 13455 thinks is a legitimate sport.

In other words discgolf is to ball golf like bad-mitten is to tennis or even kick ball to baseball.
the game disc golf is fun and i enjoy playing it, I just don't see it as a serious professional sport.
I mean com on the game game from hippies.
I use to Give a dam, but now I don't give a sh!t.
Mr-Disc
Pro Plastic

Postby D-Wiz » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:08 pm

Mr. Disc - sometimes I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts. When you look at the total package of your postings, it's really some of the funniest stuff on this bored. Your spelling is still my favorite :thumbup:
promoting D-GOLF since 2007
D-Wiz
Pro Plastic

Postby grease » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:04 pm

The guy installed 5 courses by himself! Respect, Matthew, respect!
Fart, it's never not funny!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby mrpbody33 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:43 am

Chuck...see above chart for the growth of PDGA members over the past ten years. For more on the demographics of the PDGA look here.

Secondly when we talk about the growth of the sport we have to not only look at the growth of those joining the PDGA but also indicators that the sport itself garners a recreational/novice base. The fact that not only are there more and more "brick and mortar" disc golf stores opening across the country but that larger sport equipment stores (like PGA Tour Superstore) are beginning to carry merchandise is an huge indicator.

Chuck you are so focused on disc golf not being on the same ranks many other professional sports like ball golf, football, baseball, etc. But you forget at all sports started from humble beginnings. That for the most part it was teams or individuals playing each other for fun or for bragging rights until eventually someone got paid some money to play. You keep restating that disc golf doesn't have a major sponsor. Well neither does any other sport for that matter. It is not Major League Baseball presented by The Home Depot. Companies sponsor individual events just like what they do for disc golf. This why there is a FedEx Cup in the PGA Tour and that is why the Atlanta Open is presented by ReMax for disc golf. Sure the dollar amounts aren't even close to matching...but it is a start. Will kickball ever be as popular as baseball...No. But it is a good way to spend several hours with friends outdoors.

In other words discgolf is to ball golf like bad-mitten is to tennis or even kick ball to baseball.

I actually agree with this above statement. Will disc golf ever be as big a major sport. No...and we are kidding ourselves to believe that. But you can't deny growth and popularity. Look at kickball for example. I actually played kickball for a season and it was a blast. I have several friends to continue to play kickball and their sport is growing a very similar rate. It is expensive to buy a bunch of baseball equipment and then find enough people to make a team who also have equipment. Much easier to buy a $15 kickball, some small plastic cones, grab a bunch of friends, some beer and then find an empty field.
PDGA# 28128
ADGO# 133
mrpbody33

Postby keith johnson » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:17 am

There are 60+ people playing 3 kickball games at the same time using the open field at Wills every WED (don't know if it's daily or only WED) that started up about 5 weeks ago. It interferes with hole 3, but since they start at 6:30 we try to have all the groups play the first 4 holes before they start as they are not very attuned to how discs are much faster than they are. :mrgreen:
And even though there are some good looking ladies there, some of them are blonder than others, :wink: and don't realize if 4 people have discs in their hands and only 2 of them have thrown that the other 2 need you to stay out of the way also. :lol:
Father of Future World Champion Lorelei Johnson #13697
keith johnson

Postby Rubiks » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:08 pm

This is off the camera topic, but I think that bowling would be the closest. It's cheap, a ton of people play it recreationally, and a few manage to play it professionally. Disc golf has those same three down. Now we just need to get on ESPN when there is absolutely nothing else on...
Support Collegiate Disc Golf

National Collegiate Disc Golf Championships
Hippodrome Disc Golf Complex
April 12-15, 2012 in North Augusta, SC
Rubiks
Pro Plastic

Postby Lewis » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:29 pm

This is sort of on topic, but the thread may deserve a split...

The issue for me with disc golf is how successful it can be a good spectator sport. Some sports are great fun to play, but not so great to watch. Others are great to watch in person, but not so great to watch on TV. I get the feeling that disc golf falls somewhere in one of these categories: great fun to play, but hard to produce for television. I know ball golf gets a lot of TV air time, but it's also yawnsville to most TV viewers. This is another reason I think bowling is a good analogue to disc golf in the sporting world. Both can be enjoyed by just about any able-bodied person, with no requirement for athletic training or great skill to be enjoyed. But then even the best professionals in the world don't make the sport very exciting for a TV broadcast.

The reverse is also true: some of the best spectator sports are difficult to play recreationally, for a variety of reasons. American football is probably the most popular spectator sport in this country, but the cost of equipment and effort to organize teams and leagues means most of us don't play it past high school. The same goes for baseball and hockey, other highly popular spectator sports.

Only a few of the best, most accessible sports to play are also great spectator sports. Tennis and basketball both come to my mind for this category.

So I figure our prospects for disc golf on ESPN aren't all that high, but our prospects for widespread international popularity are quite high indeed. 8)
Lewis
Champion Plastic

Postby JPZ » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:58 pm

Mr-Disc ... What a tool!
JPZ
Champion Plastic

Return to Q & A