Ash County Park / High Country Throw-down III

Questions & Answers

Moderator: ADGO BOD

Ash County Park / High Country Throw-down III

Postby kade.erp » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:56 am

I'm going up to the Appalachian mountains in Jefferson, NC to play this sick course. 4.5 outta 5 average on dgcreview! A Harold Duvall course/tourny. Kieth, I see that you've played in this tournament before what did you think of the place?

And has anyone been paid out in a CASHCADE? Hear is the example... http://discgolfunited.com/info-center/i ... 0F94DA7E27
kade.erp
Pro Plastic

Re: Ash County Park / High Country Throw-down III

Postby keith johnson » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:19 pm

I don't know who Kieth is - but I've played the the course and it is a good design that only has 1 squirrely hole (the lily pad hole) and was worth the 6 hour drive to play (just do NOT play the course blind) - the up and down the mountain shots mixed in with the water holes and the long and short tees make it an enjoyable time. The "free lunch" and amenities also are nice additions.

Harold had told me he was changing to a no cash payout for pros and all players getting players packages and no payout.
(I had mentioned to him that he could do a side pool for pros like we do at fundrasiers here in ATL as he was worried about pros not showing up for a no payout Event) Most of the local pros and pros that played it last year all said at the A/O that they would not be playing the Event if Harold used that format. AM's are most of who Harold is trying to reach anyways for Innova's sake and the Value far exceeds the entry fees - making it worthwhile to go from an AM's perspective.

That is the main reason that I chose the Brent Hambrick NT over this course - as much as I like the course - travelling 6 hours 1 way just to play a course 3 times with the expense of gas and hotels is not very cost effective for MY situation.

Enjoy the trip and let us know what you think when you get back!
Father of Future World Champion Lorelei Johnson #13697
keith johnson

Postby kade.erp » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:05 pm

Thanks for the input. I'll be playing AM so I should not have to worry about a lack of entrants, I think their is already 23 adv. ams. I could see how the trip is not quite cost effective w/ hotels being kinda pricey in this region. Luckily i get to stay in Winston Salem the night before and then we are going to camp Saturday night. I see that a 43 on this par 61 is the record by Koling, the course can't be too tough with a score like that!
kade.erp
Pro Plastic

Postby kade.erp » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:08 pm

Just looked again and the record for the long is 54. Going to be a monster.
kade.erp
Pro Plastic

Postby grease » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:56 pm

keith johnson wrote:I don't know who Kieth is - but I've played the the course...

Making fun of Kade's spelling? How about your stutter typing?
Fart, it's never not funny!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby Mort » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:42 pm

Ashe county rating is a little high it's close to a 3 1/2 the back nine is where you need to concentrate
on the back more in the woods and hilly. the hole you need to practice is to the right of the parking
lot after the double mando hole near the pavilion. the first shot is a hyzer then you have to tomahawk
over to a clearing then tomahawk again there is no fairway.
we played the long tees...

Plan on staying in boone it's only 20-30 mins away the most.

My buddy and i played four courses last month for a long weekend. 1) elk meadows 2) ashe co.
3) Catawba meadows 4) Glenn c hilton memorial

and out of the four course we rated: Glen was the best and ashe came in second out of the four.

Mort

Mort
Barney

Postby kade.erp » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:43 pm

Thanks for the info. Going to ashe for warm up tommorow or thursday. Overhand is not a problem, the tennis elbow has healed. i'll have to remember that one. peace.
kade.erp
Pro Plastic

Postby kade.erp » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:37 am

Koling won the High Country Throwdown by 16! http://www.pdga.com/tournament-results?TournID=10550

What a course! Truley a great discgolf experience at beautiful Ashe Co. Park in the foothills of the appalachia. Hole 9 and especially hole 18 require the most straight, long and downhill shots through the woods I've ever seen. The elevation is incredible! The course reqires spotters on several holes and back ups are still inevitable. Several low cieling shots were required and a triple-mando hole through two trees and under the welcoming sign. This is an innova course and it shows. Several workers really put alot into this course with all the paths/stairs/benches/roll-away blocker logs and new greens built into the side of the mountains. Hole 11Par 5 is like no other hole I've seen. The hole is normal to about 275. Then the fairway ends with huge bushes blocking all straight paths. Only way to get to the basket is over the bushes to a hole/clearing in the woods to more bushes totally blocking the basket. So one more sky shot/overhand shot to get to the basket :crazy: .

The entry fee was only $25 with optional cash side action of $10 per round for round2 and 3. As far as the low entry fee I think it worked out great. We were fed two lunches and a breakfast and recieved a players pack teeshirt. Trophy only was much better than I thought. They still paid about 50% of all ams with a sweet Full-Color Star Roc personalized with the place you recieved in the tournament and of course a cool High Country Logo. They had 15 donated discs, lots of innova swag from socks, shirts, hoodies and hats and a disc-carrier bag that they gave away in ring of fire. I managed to win the second round for a disc and also win the "opposite hand" round for a sweet innova hoodie!

As far as the Cashcade side action I couldnt be happier. I won both rounds! The only thing is its all about luck. I would most likely not want to do it again. We had about 30 people in the side action. All scores are compared no matter what divsion into three even brackets of players. So ten players per bracket. The top twenty percent get paid. I happen to win the middle bracket twice. If I had played the same golf on my third round as my first i would have been in the middle of the top braket getting nothing. I hope that make sense to y'all but if it doesnt I'm not too concerned b/c I don't think It will help out the sport too much. Regular cash side-action per divisions seems more fun/fair to me anyway.
kade.erp
Pro Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:11 pm

Sounds pretty much exactly as I said 10 days ago :mrgreen: - glad you had a good time and still "cashed".
the key on the lily pad hole as a righty is to throw short and right and then hyzer bomb over the top like I did and then you have a putt for 3 if you are in the clearing around the basket.

Great course and great people and good food, but it's a long way to go to play for the "chance" to win something back if you are a competitive golfer.

I'm sure it will still fill every year based on the course alone, and Harold will evaluate this year and probably tweak the payout structure again for 2011.

Still will take the Hambrick over it EVERY year if they are on the same weekend - 2 good courses, plus free food SAT and SUN and a decent payout with also around 4 grand raised for the Lukemia and Lymphoma Society besides the 72 holes of Disc Golf!
Father of Future World Champion Lorelei Johnson #13697
keith johnson

Return to Q & A