Gwinnett County Parks and Recreation Team Challenge

Local Disc Golf Tournament Info

Moderator: ADGO BOD

Gwinnett County Parks and Recreation Team Challenge

Postby gvan » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:37 pm

Gwinnett County Parks and Recreation are holding some "TeamChallenge" events this year. The GDGO was asked to help run the Disc Golf event and found out a bit more about these fundraisers.

The Team Challenges are run by Gwinnett County as charity events to raise money for children and elderly who would like to take advantage of Gwinnett County programs but cannot afford the fees. Disc Golf is only one of the events they've planned this summer.

The Disc Golf Team Challenge will be Saturday, June 26. It will be a one round charity event with a start time of 9 am. All teams registered must have 4 people, which needs to include at least one woman, and pay a $50 registration fee (which is tax deductible).

The GDGO is donating 2 CTP discs and minis for all.

There will be trophies for the winners (provided by the county;) there will not be a payout in plastic or cash.

Here is the link for sign-up:
http://www.active.com/more-sports-tourn ... ament-2010

Registration closes Friday, June 25, 2010 @ 11:59 PM
uǝʞuɐɹʌ uɐʌ ʇıɹɹǝƃ
gvan

Re: Gwinnett County Parks and Recreation Team Challenge

Postby Vicki » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:24 am

C'mon out everyone, get some friends together and let's show Gwinnett County Parks and Rec that disc golfers are supportive of their charity event! It should be a blast!
Vicki
DX Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:14 pm

Same day as USDGC qualifier, so I'll be a little busy running and playing in it, Sorry.
Father of Future World Champion Lorelei Johnson #13697
keith johnson

Postby $Dollar$ » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:28 am

gvan wrote:Gwinnett County Parks and Recreation are holding some "TeamChallenge" events this year. The GDGO was asked to help run the Disc Golf event and found out a bit more about these fundraisers.

The Team Challenges are run by Gwinnett County as charity events to raise money for children and elderly who would like to take advantage of Gwinnett County programs but cannot afford the fees. Disc Golf is only one of the events they've planned this summer.

The Disc Golf Team Challenge will be Saturday, June 26. It will be a one round charity event with a start time of 9 am. All teams registered must have 4 people, which needs to include at least one woman,

It might be hard to get women since their is a Women's Tourny at ERP that day
BAAAAKAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
$Dollar$
Champion Plastic

Postby djester » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:40 am

Logistics..... it's a funny thing sometimes
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby billnchristy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:37 am

The original date was during my clinic as well.

It would be nice to not have to compete for an extremely limited market.

I think this is aimed more at non-competitive types so it probably won't really take entries but I really wish the county would reconsider the date and help maxmimize the turn-out for my event and I could, in turn, suggest that players play in theirs.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby Lofstrand » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:47 pm

They better stay clear of July 10th if there is a date change. :x grrrrrrr
PDGA#29514
Lofstrand
Pro Plastic

Postby Vicki » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:40 am

I understand your frustration, Keith and Bill, in more than one event being scheduled on the same day. Your two events (scheduled that same day) are both wonderful opportunities for enthusiast of our sport to compete and have fun. The Gwinnett Team Challenge is also supposed to be about competing and having fun, mostly drawing corporate players to form teams for this charity event. Many of these people will have never played disc golf before. Some local discers are also coming out and showing support for this County function. As organizers of events yourself, I'm sure there is a background story for each. Mutual respect between the GDGO and Gwinnett County sums up the background story for the Team Challenge. We have worked hard over the years to develop a solid relationship with Gwinnett County, and try to do whatever they ask. We recently sponsored a recycling bin at Alexander at the county's request. They asked us to run this for them and in return the GDGO would get 4 free park and pavilion days, saving hundreds of dollars on upcoming GDGO functions. We, of course, said Yes. The County picked the date, the original one and the new one, and said we had to have teams of 4 including one woman. They publicized it and are doing all the sign-ups. I sent our County Liaison the following: Several disc golfers have expressed concern over the date of the Gwinnett Team Challenge, as there is already a local tournament and a ladies tournament that day (both in the Atlanta area). That leaves a shortage of women to put on a team, and several men have expressed they want to play but don't have a female disc golfer available. Would moving the date again be an option, or would it be possible to remove the handicap for a men only team? This we her reply: We could do a handicap for a team of men-the date has been moved once and I really don't want to keep moving it. I will let the other teams know that if they have difficulty getting a female we will handicap the men only teams.

I agree that we should all be supportive of each other, and I hope both of your tournaments are successful sell-outs. I don't expect the Team Challenge to be a sell-out, but hopefully it will raise some money for charity and be a fun day for some people out playing disc golf.
Vicki
DX Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:56 am

Vicki,

I'm very supportive of what you and the GDGO have done with the Disc Golf scene in Gwinnett - I have no issues with the team challenge itself as the players for the USDGC qualifier are probably not the same players you will get /are looking for.

I know Bill is frustrated because of the timimg and the women requirement as he is going after the Women only with all of his Events (again not most likely USDGC qualifier players, so that wouldn't affect his turnout for the 26th), but I do like how you have been proactive in moving things forward there. Getting them to possibly handicap teams w/o women seems to be a GREAT work around solution to the inevitable fact that with so many courses, and players and still the same amount of weekends in a year that sometimes there will be conflicts.

I wish you good luck with the Event!

Keith
keith johnson

Postby billnchristy » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:59 am

That seems fair and I highly encourage any of the ladies to come over to Roswell now that it is possible for this event to occur without them.

We won't be selling out any time soon but 2 dozen women on course is a possibility and a raging success in my eyes. In fact, yesterday when I talked to Juliana Korver and she told me she was trying to work her way down here to play but had a conflict with the MN Majestic I knew I had done well.

Thanks for trying to make things work.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby $Dollar$ » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:35 pm

Vicki wrote:They asked us to run this for them and in return the GDGO would get 4 free park and pavilion days, saving hundreds of dollars on upcoming GDGO functions.

One of their reasons for "no-going" Hotlanta in Gwinnett was the parks were reserved too much already. God forbid someone try and run a B Tier or any other big event in Gwinnett County.
BAAAAKAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
$Dollar$
Champion Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:31 pm

Other Non-Event posts in Gwinnett County thread inside the Gossip section.
keith johnson

Postby da4nex » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:45 pm

I know Bill ... is going after the Women only with all of his Events

Hmmm. Should we read something into this....?

:wink:
da4nex
DX Plastic

Postby Woodrow » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:29 am

duh!
Woodrow

Postby Vicki » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:17 am

The Team Challenge was great, despite the small turnout. We paired newer teams with experienced players, and everyone had fun. The "Disc Junkies" (Steve Adams, Mikey Curtis, Ed and Vicki Jacob) came in first with a 101. Team "Disc Stalker" (Greg Pothier, Brian and Erin Grundleger, Al Hause) came in 2nd with a 103. Auto Owners Insurance followed with a 128, and Gwinnett All-Stars finished with a 152. Thanks to Janice and Tyler from GCP&R for their help today, and the life saving ice water they provided.
Vicki
DX Plastic

Postby billnchristy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:47 pm

How did the points work?

Good shooting for a 101, you 2 still hold the dubs record too with that killer 49 last month.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby Vicki » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:29 am

Thanks Bill. We'll be back for the July Mixed Doubles. After playing 18 holes for the Team Challenge, I wasn't moving very well yesterday (damn arthritis).

We split the teams of 4 into 2 twosomes, then added their scores together at the end. There were no teams of just men, so no handicaps were needed.

Looks like your Wood Nymphs was a huge success - Congratulations! It's wonderful that so many more women are playing disc golf. Keep up the good work!
Vicki
DX Plastic

Return to Disc Golf Tournaments