SC Doubles Championship PDGA B-Tier 21/22 Aug 2010

Local Disc Golf Tournament Info

Moderator: ADGO BOD

SC Doubles Championship PDGA B-Tier 21/22 Aug 2010

Postby SCdoubles » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:12 pm

The South Carolina Doubles Championship in scheduled for August 21 - 22 in Oconee County. Two rounds Saturday in Walhalla and two rounds Sunday in Seneca. This is a B tier event with 100% payback to all divisions with $500+ added to the pro purse.

Last years event paid out more than $4,000 in cash and prizes. All players received two discs and a t-shirt. Hopefully we'll have a similar players pack again this year.

Players pack to all participants and a great players party Saturday night.

For more info or to register, go to SCdoubles.com.
SCdoubles
DX Plastic

Re: SC Doubles Championship PDGA B-Tier 21/22 Aug 2010

Postby SCdoubles » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:05 am

There's a brand new course being installed this month in Oconee County. If the course is ready with at least one month prior to the SC Doubles Championship, the first round might be moved to the new course.

This new course will be the longest course in the Upstate and will include massive elevation changes and a risk vs reward hole along Horseshoe Lake. Details to come.
SCdoubles
DX Plastic

Postby SCdoubles » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:51 pm

This is a Bring-your-own partner tournament.
SCdoubles
DX Plastic

Postby billnchristy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:00 pm

Any reason why mixed is advanced only? I am guessing it is because the majority of your women are ADV players?
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby SCdoubles » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:55 pm

The Mixed is set as advanced because I felt pro would scare too many couples away and intermediate wouldn't allow some mixed teams to play if one player's rating was too high. The mixed division was a nice competitive division last year and I've heard from several potential mixed teams this year.
SCdoubles
DX Plastic

Postby billnchristy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:11 pm

We might come even though we would be DFL bait. Would still be fun.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby SCdoubles » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:25 am

The first year we did the tournament, the PDGA suggested that we offer a mixed division and we make it a pro division. That would have scared away a lot of the potential teams. So we offered it as an advanced division. We had three or four mixed teams but all but one played in the intermediate. At the end of the tournament, the mixed teams that played in the intermediate saw they would've faired better in the mixed...even though it was an 'advanced' division.

Most of the mixed teams last year were intermediate level men and intermediate to advanced level women. It was very competitive. I think the mixed teams all felt they were in it through the first two rounds. No mixed team made major separation until the third round...which was the alternate shot round.

SPONSOR UPDATE - we've landed two more sponsors and we've determined our players pack. Two discs, two minis and a T-shirt. The first 36 teams that register will get a players pack - including pro teams. A minimum of $500 added to the pro purse. We've got several other businesses that are still considering whether or not to sponsor. If we land some of those businesses, the added cash will grow and we will even add some money to the other division's purse.

Sponsors so far...

Seneca Light & Water
Oconee County Parks, Recreation & Tourism
SC Mountain Lakes CVB
Blue Ridge Electric Cooperative
Hometown Food Stores
Chattooga Belle Farm (The new pay-to-play course in the Upstate)
Strange Disc Sports
Disc-O-Dogs (champion Disc Dog Team from Seneca)

For more info on the tournament, please visit SCdoubles.com
SCdoubles
DX Plastic

Postby billnchristy » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:31 am

Great job getting non-disc golf sponsors...I can't seem to figure that part out but I can nail down some disc companies pretty good!!
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby SCdoubles » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:01 pm

About half of the companies that sponsor do so because they have tourism money. With a two-day event and several players staying overnight qualifies the tournament and disc golf as tourism. Tourism dollars can be spent to bring people in and for building a course.

A lot of these companies I've been pitching for three years. Its slowly paying off.
SCdoubles
DX Plastic

Postby SCdoubles » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:08 am

The Day-1 location of the SCdoubles State Championship has changed.

A brand new, pay to play course is being installed next week in Long Creek, SC. It's 30 minutes from Seneca and 25 minutes from Walhalla. Details on the course can be found at SCdoubles.com.

The SC Doubles tourney has 100% pay back per division with a minimum $500 added to the pro purse. All players, even pro, will receive a players pack with two discs, two minis and a t-shirt.
SCdoubles
DX Plastic

Postby $Dollar$ » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:53 am

This new course looks sick! The pics look like the Crucible but in the mountains, with more water and more par 3s.

The only thing I REALLY don't like about the new format is playing tough shot. Tough shot isn't designed to be fun, and playing it on a very big, brand new course that is not broken in sounds terrible. If you are only going to play one round of best shot, it should be on this course.

The main problem with tough shot is that it will make some people NOT play the event. Pro players who can't find top notch partners won't pay that big entry fee($150) if they think they cant compete, or have no control over their teams shule factor. I'll still be there but I know of at least one former team that isn't playing now that it's tough shot.

Just some thoughts. I cant wait to play the new course! (except in tough shot)
BAAAAKAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
$Dollar$
Champion Plastic

Postby SCdoubles » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:17 pm

Last year we added a tough shot round and it was well received. It was played at Sertoma Field in Walhalla which is much shorter.

The amount of feedback with the change of day to the new course has been amazing. Most players that played last year still want the tough shot round...or at least four different formats. I thought it would be too cruel to have tough shot in Seneca. Alternate shot played more difficult last year than the tough shot did. I expect the same this year.

As always, I listen to the different comments and will consider changes that would best benefit the tournament.

All players will get two discs, two minis and a t-shirt. We're adding at least $500 to the pro purse and working on some more sponsors, so the added cash may increase.

With you coming back to regain your title, you might need to see if Koling and Childres are going to try and defend their title from last year.
SCdoubles
DX Plastic

Postby longneck » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:02 pm

I agree. My partner is relatively new to the game. When He is on he is a good player. When he is off he is off. It could be rough for him. I think the new course is nice and all, but think tough shot also might be too brutal. I would not mind at all playing one thing twice whether that be best disc or best shot. I think two best shots would be ideal because thats how most of the time doubles are ran.

ps what two disc come in the players package. sending my entree fee out tomorrow.
longneck
Barney

Postby SCdoubles » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:15 pm

The discs for the players pack haven't been determined yet. I'm leaning toward R-wood Avairs for one of the discs. I haven't determined the second disc yet. Last year we did Champion Glow TeeBirds and Superheros. The year before we did DX Avair Putters.

I have two more sponsors close to agreeing to sponsor again. If they do, that will give not only more money for the 2nd disc but it would also allow for more money to be added to the pro purse.
SCdoubles
DX Plastic

Postby richardhead » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:48 pm

Good call on changing venues at least. Never know what may be lurking on a disc golf course.

http://www.nbcaugusta.com/news/local/Ma ... 37069.html
Jay Phillips
<EAT MY SKAT>
richardhead
Star Plastic

Postby djester » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:01 pm

crazy stuff..... & not just the format! (just kidding about the format :P )
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby tdg » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:43 am

Played this course last night. The views alone are worth the play. It has length, hills. great pin locations and a water hole that will remind you of Winthrop at Rock Hill. It has been mowed very good and is supposed to keep being mowed up until the tourney. The course is about 35 minutes from Toccoa. If you're into Kayaking, the Chattooga river is right in this farms backyard. I know Adam is still considering the format for the event. He had mentioned playing best disc for round 1. See you all soon - John
tdg
DX Plastic

Postby SCdoubles » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:43 pm

The Players packs will be a JK Avair Pro and a KC Pro ROC. Two minis and a t-shirt.

I've heard from a lot of players, including several from the Atlanta area, but have only received a handful of registrations so far.
SCdoubles
DX Plastic

Postby longneck » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:58 pm

awesome players pack. my putter and my favorite mid thats a players pack. I need to send registration form out. I keep forgetting.
longneck
Barney

Postby SCdoubles » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:41 pm

I'll be ordering t-shirts the 1st week in August. If you want to make sure you get the right size, I'll need your registration by the first week in August...otherwise it will be first come on the t-shirts for those that register after the first week in August.
SCdoubles
DX Plastic

Postby SCdoubles » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:11 pm

We're four weeks away.

After having played Chattooga Belle Farm a half dozen times now, I’ve decided to revert back to the format(s)of the 2008 Doubles Championship. Chattooga Belle Farm, while not a difficult course, it is a long course. I don’t want to have the day last too long with a tough shot afternoon round in the August heat and a second day of play in Seneca. So day one at Chattooga Bell will be Best Shot and Best Disc. Day two will remain Alternate Shot and Best Shot in Seneca.

We’ll keep tough shot for the years that we play at Sertoma Field in Walhalla.
SCdoubles
DX Plastic

Postby billnchristy » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:13 pm

I just made a map this week of Chattooga Belle Farm, check it out, it might make you want to play:

A large B&W version can be seen at DGCR.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby SCdoubles » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:34 am

Thanks for the great course map.

In case it was missed before, we've changed day 1 formats back to the 2008 formats...Best Disc and Best Shot. With the length of Chattooga Belle Farm I don't want the day to end up lasting too long. Day 2 in Seneca will be alternate and best shot.

Nine team signed up with 27 avails left as of Friday afternoon.
SCdoubles
DX Plastic

Postby SCdoubles » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:22 am

We're less than 3 weeks away from this year edition of the SC Doubles Championship.

Saturday, 8/21, will be rounds of Best Shot and Best Disc. Sunday, 8/22, will be rounds of Alternate Shot and Best Shot.

Pro Teams - $150

Advanced - $110

Intermediate - $80

Mixed - $80

All players will get a JK Pro Avair, a KC Pro ROC, two minis and a t-shirt.

100% pay out to all divisions, $500 added to the pro purse (maybe more)

Great CTPs

A Brand New Pay-to-Play course on Saturday.

A 'seasoned' course on Sunday.

Players party Saturday night.

Awesome Trophies for the winning teams.

Cash sponsors...

City of Seneca
Oconee County Parks, Recreation & Tourism
SC Mountain Lakes CVB
Blue Ridge Electric COOP
Chattooga Belle Farm
Hometown Food Store
Pak Mail of Seneca
Seneca Optical
Disc-O-Dogs
Strange Disc Sports
Fred's Lock Work
Hwy 11 Specialties

Product Sponsors...

Innova Discs
ABC Discs
Greater Oconee Disc Golf

Greater Oconee Disc Golf hopes to see some Atlanta Area Players August 21-22!
SCdoubles
DX Plastic

Postby SCdoubles » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:05 pm

We've got 22 teams signed up for the tourney. Several teams from Augusta but none yet from Atlanta. We've got space left for 14 more teams. You can call or text me with questions or intentions...# on the registration form at SCdoubles.com...I hope to see some Atlanta teams this year.
SCdoubles
DX Plastic

Postby SCdoubles » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:19 pm

27 teams now registered. Nine spaces left.

As of right now, I know of one pro player, one advanced (Tyler) and one intermediate looking for partners.

I've got three teams that are telling me they're 90% and will let me know by Wednesday or Thursday.

100% payback per division ($500 added to pro) and a players pack for all players. Saturday will be Best Shot and Best Disc. Sunday will be alternate shot and best shot.
SCdoubles
DX Plastic

Postby SCdoubles » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:04 pm

32 teams registered. Space left for four more teams.

Day one in Long Creek @ Chattooga Belle Farm - Best Shot and Best Disc

Day two in Seneca @ Shaver Rec Complex - Alternate Shot and Best Shot

All players get A KC Pro ROC and a JK Pro Avair, two mini discs (stash minis) and a T-shirt. Only sizes left on the t-shirts are large and Xlarge.

$500 added to the pro purse

Great CTPs
SCdoubles
DX Plastic

Postby SCdoubles » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:12 pm

The field is full.

We are now putting teams on a waiting list.

If this is like the last two years, we'll have a team or two bow out next week.

The waiting list is going to be a first come, first serve. I've got three or four teams that have told me they're '90%' in playing. If you're one of those teams, let me know if you're able to play so I can get you on the list. Right now, no one is on the waiting list.
SCdoubles
DX Plastic

Return to Disc Golf Tournaments