Boy scout help

Jasper County - Monticello, Ga

Moderators: luke, ADGO BOD

Boy scout help

Postby luke » Sun May 09, 2010 6:29 pm

A local boy scout wants to help with the course, but I'm not sure what to tell him. What's too much? I don't think I'll be giving him a chain saw. I meet with him tomorrow. If you have any ideas or know what his "range" would be, let me know.
luke
Star Plastic

Re: Boy scout help

Postby gvan » Sun May 09, 2010 7:44 pm

In Gwinnett County, Boy Scouts have built benches and kiosks for their Eagle Scout projects. If his Eagle Scout project is his motivation, he will likely want to build something. I've also heard of them building bridges, shelters and disc return boxes.
uǝʞuɐɹʌ uɐʌ ʇıɹɹǝƃ
gvan

Postby Wookie » Mon May 10, 2010 12:35 am

Tell him to "Go Big, or Go Home..." :lol:

I built a softball backstop, with the help of a contractor, for a church for my Eagle Project. Seriously though, have him look at bridges, benches, trash can holders, etc... Things that they can do pretty easy and with minor tools. He will have to submit a plan of action and what not to get approved and he will be required to have so many man hours on the project and with assistance from other scouts.
Use the "force" only for good, never for evil

PDGA 24474
ADGO 127
Wookie
Champion Plastic

Postby djester » Mon May 10, 2010 8:51 am

concrete tee pads :idea:
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby luke » Mon May 10, 2010 9:45 pm

I talked to him tonight. It looks like they'll start with new holes 11 and 12. We talked about teepads, but I'm not sure that'll happen right away. Patience, feet! One day!

Also, the park guy (Wes), who is my other new hero, said that if I marked trees, he'd get them cut down. It could be that the Full Monty will be FULLY MONTIFIED before 2011. Some in more populated areas might question my glee, but you have to understand how slowly things go down here in My Cousin Vinnie-ville. I'm ecstatic about the prospect, and happy that people in the community are showing interest.
luke
Star Plastic

Postby luke » Mon May 10, 2010 9:49 pm

As for the teepads, they asked me for alternatives to concrete pads. All I could really say was "fly pads," kinda feeling that that wasn't a great option. What are other options? Anyone? Beuller? Bueller?
luke
Star Plastic

Postby dandaman » Mon May 10, 2010 11:51 pm

Fly pads are nearly as expensive as concrete, and it is of my opinion that they don't last as long. Also if the ground is not smooth and level they are at a far disadvantage compared to concrete. The best use that I have heard of them is to actually attach them to a wooden structure that is secured to the ground. The wooden structure should be constructed out of pressure treated wood, be flat (duh) and it's durabilty and constuction would need to be of the highest quality-otherwise you're just wasting wood and flypad material. While great on paper the expense would probably exceed concrete...so we would be at square one.

In all honesty the Meeks course in Blairsville has somewhat decent teepads for the price associated with them. They used wooden beams to mark the frame of the box and filled it with a special crushed gravel. The gravel there was the best that I have seen or played on in a DGC setting. It periodically would need maintence such as added mix, but if cost is the major issue than this route may be the best way to go.

The other alternative is to try to secure sponsorships from local businesses. That way the cost associated with building a teepad is paid with sponsorship dollars. Tough to do but if your really serious this might be a plan worth looking into. Another idea is to to approach any of the local concrete manufactures in the area (there a lot in Stockbridge). It's possible that periodically they might have extra concrete from jobs which did not require as much. I've heard of clubs that have secured this extra concrete in which these concrete manufactures will deliver the concrete free of charge minus the cost of delivery. So that's another idea. Another possibility is to try to secure sponsorships that include a teepad and a teesign. That way local businesses are paying for ad's on tee signs that are tangible to their donations.
Johnson! Keep an eye on that Kherplakistan situation...
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby djester » Tue May 11, 2010 10:28 am

sponsors = Ingles, Dairy Queen, and Bud's gas 'n go
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby luke » Tue May 11, 2010 4:49 pm

Right! THanks!
luke
Star Plastic

Postby Funky Bobby J » Wed May 12, 2010 8:19 am

Living in the United States where the hottest European import is Plutocracy...
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby luke » Wed May 12, 2010 10:02 pm

Jeez. I guess somebody had to go there.
luke
Star Plastic

Postby luke » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:10 pm

It seems that the boy scout has disappeared or changed his mind. I haven't heard from him since early this past summer.
luke
Star Plastic

Return to The Monty