Places to practice in the Duluth/Suwanee area

Questions & Answers

Moderator: ADGO BOD

Places to practice in the Duluth/Suwanee area

Postby holzerian » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:04 am

I've just recently taken up disc golf, and I am really enjoying it. The only problem is that I'm not real close to any of the courses in the Atlanta area. The closest course to me is probably Alexander Park in Lawrenceville, which is about 16 miles via back roads. East Roswell is about the same distance and also via back roads. On the weekends, driving out to one of the courses isn't really an issue for me, but during the week, after work, I'd love to just be able to go somewhere close by and throw my discs for 30 minutes - hour to practice driving and mid-range throws. I certainly need all the practice I can get. I've tried a few of the parks around Duluth (Bunten Road, Shorty Howell), but all of the fields that aren't in use are fenced, chained, and locked up. I don't mind jumping the fence, but seeing as there are giant obvious signs posted that state you need a permit to use the fields, I figure it'd only be a matter of time before the cops show up. Does anyone know of any parks, or even just a big open field, in the Duluth/Suwanee area that would be a better bet than Bunten Road or Shorty Howell?
Justin Holzer - PDGA #45637
holzerian
Barney

Re: Places to practice in the Duluth/Suwanee area

Postby billnchristy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:38 am

Gotta love YOUR parks that YOU cannot use.

I must've misunderstood the word "public" because I always thought that meant that the "public" can use them.

We throw in a field at Bethesda park...it is the only field that they do not close because it is just a green (brown) space next to the pool.

Its ridiculous that we have 1000s of acres of green fields available to us but they are under lock and key.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby richardhead » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:18 am

Try River Trail Middle School. The E.D.G.E. website lists that school as one of the places that has a 9 hole course supporting the E.D.G.E. program. Not sure if it's permanent or what, but worth a shot. I have no clue where that school is located, definitely in Duluth though.
Jay Phillips
<EAT MY SKAT>
richardhead
Star Plastic

Postby VERMIN » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:40 am

Shorty Howell has too much foot traffic and the little league season will have that place packed. I am in the Duluth area and about 10 miles from ERP, Wills, and Alex.

I use a school across the street from me for a little practice every now and then. They have a field in the back and there is never anyone there. Parks are used heavily in Duluth but school fields are not. I would continue to use a field in a park until the cops tell you to leave - just claim stupidity and tell them you didn't see a sign. Office parks can be fun too - playing pavement as OB is great for precision throwing. I work in the River Green complex off of PIB and there are tons of opportunites to play but I do make sure there are no cars around and since I work to 6 or 7 that is pretty easy.

Check this place out: Peachtree Ridge Park 3117 Suwanee Creek Rd. Suwanee, GA 30024..I have walked there a couple of times and there were not too many people there. It is a newer park. It off of Buford sotuh of McGinnis Ferry.
Speakin' the vernacular of the peasantry. Poor little kid, I hope she gets home all right....Professor Marvel

Vern Williams - ADGO #120 - PDGA #27359
VERMIN
Star Plastic

Postby richardhead » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:40 pm

There used to be a soccer complex at River Green. I played there back in the day. Did they build on the land where those fields used to be?
Jay Phillips
<EAT MY SKAT>
richardhead
Star Plastic

Postby VERMIN » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:13 pm

Soccer fields are still there. They are just a few hundred yards from my office but they get lots of play (leagues) especially in the evening. On nice days I take a few discs over there and chuck a few for lunch. Plenty of green spaces to work on your short game throughout the office park in the evening. Light poles make for nice object golf. Grass islands are cool and I play all asphalt as OB. 8)
Speakin' the vernacular of the peasantry. Poor little kid, I hope she gets home all right....Professor Marvel

VERMIN
Star Plastic

Postby dandaman » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:36 pm

River Green Parkway in between Pleasant Hill and 120. There are some huge soccer fields there (many with no fences!) that you can work on upshots/drives. You'll find them at the furtherst point away from P.I.B.

Bonus: if there are not too many people in the office buildings there are several safari/make them up as you go types of holes. At one time I had a sick stretch of 7-8 holes that weaved around some of the buildings and parking lots (lots of concrete teepads and OB). With a little bit of imagination I'm sure you could make up your own course.
Johnson! Keep an eye on that Kherplakistan situation...
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby monsterboys76 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:50 pm

if you go north on Peachtree Industrial on the top of the hill i think the name of the street is rogers bridge rd. take that left and follow it to the back. huge field on the right with no people ever. i bring my basket out from time to time and have myself a great time. if you have kids there is a small playground as well.
Greg Pothier
P SELECT
monsterboys76
Pro Plastic

Postby billnchristy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:32 pm

Amazing isn't it...Gwinnett county alone has 8000 acres of park and we have to stand on a corner in a trenchcoat...pssst buddy, I know where a field is...prime field...no permit required.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby holzerian » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:20 pm

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone. I will definitely have to check out River Green. That's less than 10 minutes from my house. The Rogers Bridge location sounds promising as well.

monsterboys76 wrote:if you go north on Peachtree Industrial on the top of the hill i think the name of the street is rogers bridge rd. take that left and follow it to the back. huge field on the right with no people ever. i bring my basket out from time to time and have myself a great time. if you have kids there is a small playground as well.

Rogers Bridge is the road right after you pass The Hooch golf course and driving range going north on PIB. I will have to check this out for sure. That's close to my house, but I've never been down the part of the road I think you're talking about.
holzerian
Barney

Postby VERMIN » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:41 pm

You will be expected to pay for the previous information and we hope you don't get arrested. :lol:

VERMIN
Star Plastic

Postby monsterboys76 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:25 pm

holzerian wrote:Thanks for the great suggestions everyone. I will definitely have to check out River Green. That's less than 10 minutes from my house. The Rogers Bridge location sounds promising as well.

monsterboys76 wrote:if you go north on Peachtree Industrial on the top of the hill i think the name of the street is rogers bridge rd. take that left and follow it to the back. huge field on the right with no people ever. i bring my basket out from time to time and have myself a great time. if you have kids there is a small playground as well.

Rogers Bridge is the road right after you pass The Hooch golf course and driving range going north on PIB. I will have to check this out for sure. That's close to my house, but I've never been down the part of the road I think you're talking about.

yes it is right after the golf course. just take that left and go to the back it's very small street.
Greg Pothier
P SELECT
monsterboys76
Pro Plastic

Postby Mort » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:26 pm

Another place might be on mcginnis ferry rd near old atlanta road some more soccer fields..

Mort

Mort
Barney

Postby holzerian » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:24 pm

I went down to Rogers Bridge Park yesterday afternoon, and it is a great spot. Other than the playground, picnic tables, and some horseshoes and volleyball setups, it's more or less all open grass fields. No fences, no chains, no locks. It was perfect for throwing. It would be a perfect place to setup a basket as well. It's pretty open, but there are a few trees that you can use for target practice or as obstacles to try throwing around. There were a few people there yesterday around 6:00, but it wasn't at all crowded, and there is tons of room, so crowds don't seem like they would really be an issue here at all.

Thanks again for the great suggestion. I think this will be my regular spot to go practice.
holzerian
Barney

Return to Q & A