Disc Weights

Questions & Answers

Moderator: ADGO BOD

Disc Weights

Postby Graiden » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:30 am

Okay, I haven't been around in a while as work has been keeping me really busy. I still play when I get a chance, but not that often. I am hoping this new work schedule we are going to will make it so that I can get out more.

Here is my question. As far as disc weights go, is it completely preference and what feels good to the thrower? What are the reasons to throwing heavier as opposed to lighter? I have been struggling with this question for a while.

Currently, I throw mostly 150g discs (drivers). I have some heavier stuff for when it is windy. My midranges are a bit heavier, however my favorite midrange is a 150g Shark. My putters I like heavy 175g or so. Am I on the right track with this whole weight thing? Should I be throwing heavier in certain situation? Right now I only throw heavier when it is windy.

Thanks for any info. :)
Joe Gaita
PDGA# 37978
Graiden
DX Plastic

Re: Disc Weights

Postby MrFixIt » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:40 pm

Far from being any type of pro, I would venture to say that mids and putters should be heavy (Max weight for me).
Drivers will depend on how you throw (BH, FH), what type of drivers you throw, and lastly, the courses that you play on.
I prefer heavier weights for my drivers as well.
Hopefully, some of the local pros will chime in and give you some better info than my rambling 2 cents :?
MrFixIt
DX Plastic

Postby Funky Bobby J » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:11 pm

Generally, the lighter the weight the less stability it has and the more wind will impact the flight. I have a rag arm and I throw all heavy weights for putters and mid ranges because I wind impact these more and I want reliability and uniformity. I also use Max weight for fairway drivers and then use mid 160s for drivers. I carry a lot of duplicate drivers that are different stages of beat (probably too many). Central Park is my home course and it is reall windy.
Living in the United States where the hottest European import is Plutocracy...
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby jonp » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:38 pm

Funky Bobby J wrote: because I wind impact these more

you "wind impact" your fellow competitors the most...got Beano?
Hur man än vänder sig är alltid ändan bak
jonp
Site Admin

Postby grease » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:37 pm

I definitely agree with max weight putters and approach due to consistency. Bobby has it dead
on with the max weight vs wind and lighter weight for less windy conditions and less stability.
Fart, it's never not funny!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby Graiden » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:19 am

Thanks for that info. It definitely played into my recent purchase of plastic. Thanks :D
Joe Gaita
PDGA# 37978
Graiden
DX Plastic

Return to Q & A