NEW Flyboy "Signature" Layout

Carroll County - Whitesburg, Ga

Moderators: Fly Boy, ADGO BOD

NEW Flyboy "Signature" Layout

Postby Fly Boy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:28 pm

Hey guys, I just have to jump in. Thanks for the compliments on Flyboy. I've had Avery and Valerie Jenkins, and Nate Doss staying with me at Flyboy the last 3 days. After playing the course, they all recommended a layout of the absolute best 18 holes on the course. This would be the championship "Signature" course layout at 18 holes and par 72. The course could be played as it is now, 27 hole 100 par, or north 18 at par 66, or the new "Signature course" at par 72. The "Signature" layout would have 5 par 3s, 5 par 5s and the rest par 4s. The current par 7 runway hole would be shortened slightly to make it a long par 5, keeping it within the realm of reason! Any comments or suggestions on which holes to keep and which to lose for the Signature layout would be greatly appreciated.
Kelly
Fly Boy
DX Plastic

Re: Georgia’s Signature Hole?

Postby billnchristy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:34 pm

Not a bad idea really...a round that doesn't take 6hrs is a good idea.

new 3 old 2 is definitely in 18 should stay but really wouldn't be necessary if you kept 21. Others I really liked were 23, 11, 16, 17, 13, 15, 27, 2, 9.

Really it would come down to flow...if there are any "bad" holes I would call them 26 and 7-8 maybe? But they would probably still rate near best on a lot of places. 26 is just a little swampy, nothing really bad about the hole itself.

This is just from a guy who walked it and never threw a single shot so I may be completely invalid...if so...disregard.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Re: Georgia’s Signature Hole?

Postby Corndawg13 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:49 pm

I smell a new thread split! Wow, The 18 best holes at Flyboy.

1,2,3,4,6,7,10,11,13,15,17,18,20,21,23,24,25,26 IMO. I dunno if those fit the par list or not.

I think "No Guts No Glory" at Flyboy is hands down GA's signature hole. Demands a good drive with good distance, long shot over water, to a basket on the bank on the corner of the lake, I mean come on, not to mention it looks awesome as the background of my laptop!!
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

Forsyth County Disc Golf Organization President
http://www.facebook.com/FCDGO
COME TO CP DUBS SUNDAYS AT 2!!!

If I don't respond to a post in due time, please message me on Facebook or call/text me, thanks!
Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Re: NEW Flyboy "Signature" Layout

Postby mrpbody33 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:51 am

I smell a new thread split!

Wham-o!

New "Signature" Flyboy layout sounds interesting. I have always thought it would be great if we could get two 18-hole courses on that property. We could run so much action out there it would be nuts!
Barry "Mr. P'body" Arnson
PDGA# 28128
ADGO# 133
http://discgolfatlanta.com/
mrpbody33

Postby Treeman » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:29 pm

My .02

Hole # 1 “Crash and Burn”
486 Feet / Par 4
Plays through trees, across road, up hill, and through gap in trees slightly left.
Road is OB. Road is about 265 feet from Tee Pad.
Next Tee: Up hill and to right.

Hole # 2 “KUDZU”
700 Feet / Par 4
Follow grass taxiway making left turn. Basket is near trees to right of grass taxiway.
Concrete hangar pads are OB.
Beware the KUDZU on the left! Use a spotter or lose your disc!
Next Tee: Up hill, across Cul-d-sac to big tree on other side of road.

Hole # 3 “Welcome to Fly Boy”
1030 Feet / Par 5
Across road, down hill, across runway, towards Fly Boy Aviation.
Concrete hangar pads are OB. Be cautious crossing the runway.
Next Tee: Left of basket

Hole # 4 “Smok’n Hole”
253 Feet / Par 3
Straight ahead into stand of trees. Basket is half buried.
All concrete and asphalt to the left of fairway is OB. Gravel road is not OB.
Next Tee: Up hill and right between the Magnolia and Leeland Cyprus trees.

Hole # 5 “Fly By Fly Boy”
450 Feet / Par 3
Down hill past country store on the right, through gap in trees.
Concrete hangar pad to left is OB. Under the roof line of Country Store and shed to right are OB.
Next Tee: uphill on dirt path, around back side of country store and garden.

Hole # 6 “Cox’s Mansion”
700 Feet / Par 4
Down hill towards old house ruins.
Next Tee: Walk around back of ruins to lake.

Hole # 7 “Cast Away”
220 Feet / Par 3
Lake is OB. BACK SIDE of gravel road is OB. Drop Zone at orange cone for Novice players only.
If you go OB into the lake: Re-tee plus one stroke. Novice players go to the Drop Zone and add one stroke. If your disc touches the far bank, but then goes OB in the lake, play from where it touched land and add one stroke (one meter relief).
If you go OB beyond the gravel road: Standard OB rules apply.
Next Tee: Follow driveway till it turns to concrete.

Hole # 8 “Right Gauntlet”
320 Feet / Par 3
Follow path through woods with slight right turn.
Beware Pit of Doom Trash Pit to right of basket. Not OB, but very nasty!
Next Tee: Just beyond basket in neighbor’s yard.

Hole # 9 “RTB”
700 Feet / Par 5
Play towards runway to the right, then back to basket to the left.
WARNING: 3 baskets will be in view when you make the big left turn! Go for the one near the Flyboy hangar in the stand of trees.
The runway side of the runway lights is OB and standard OB rules apply. Concrete hangar pads are OB.

Hole # 10 “Left Gauntlet”
510 Feet / Par 4
Shoot the tunnel with left fade, then across T intersection in road, and uphill near Oak trees. Roads OB.
Next tee: Continue uphill under oak trees.

Hole # 11 “LOMCHAVOK”
460 feet Par 3 OR 500 Feet Par 3 from Alternate tee pad.
Shoots across paved road, following dirt path down the valley.
Basket not visible from Alternate tee pad. Use a spotter.
Next Tee: Downhill from basket.

Hole # 12 “NO GUTS, NO GLORY”
765 feet / Par 5 (465 feet tee to water, 250 feet shore to shore, 50 feet shore to basket)
Down grass taxiway, across lake. Take Ferry across lake or walk around.
Lake is OB. Orange cone marks “Drop Zone” across lake.
If you throw OB into the lake: Play from the “Drop Zone” across the lake and add one stroke. If your disc touches a bank, but then goes OB in the lake: play from where it touched land and add one stroke (one meter relief) If you don’t want to risk the lake shot: You must throw from the tee till past the rope just shy of the water, then go to the Drop Zone and add TWO strokes.
Next Tee: To the left of the basket.

Hole # 13 “Doc Shot”
195 Feet across lake Par 3
Next Tee: follow boardwalk to end and turn right

Hole #14 “A Bridge Too Far”
465 Feet / Par 4
From bridge uphill with left turn. Continue straight uphill.
Next Tee: Follow marked path to right of basket through woods.

Hole #15 “Wise Old Tree of DG”
520 Feet / Par 4
Down hill along dirt path with left turn at the end.
AVOID tree pile to right of fairway! Use a spotter!
Heads up for snake living in old tree holding the basket.
Next Tee: Follow dirt road.

Hole #16 “Riz!”
245 Feet / Par 3
Down hill to right of dirt road.
Next Tee: Beside tree by lake.

Hole #17 “Damnit”
960 Feet / Par 5
Along lakeshore and dam, then uphill to right of woods.
Lake is OB. Flowing water from lake drain is OB. Standing water is not OB.
Standard OB rules apply. Avoid lake drain area on back side of dam at all costs!

Hole #18 “Longest Disc Golf Hole in the State”
1100 Feet / Par 5
Plays straight up the Runway between the lights.
OB is outside a line connecting the runway lights on either side. Left side additional OB roped off around basket. Concrete hangar Pads are OB.
If you go OB: Do not try to determine where you went out. Simply come directly back in the SHORTEST DISTANCE to in bounds from your lie, plus one meter.
WARNING!!! YOU ARE PLAYING DOWN AN ACTIVE RUNWAY. RUNWAY LIGHTS COME ON TO INDICATE A PLANE IS LANDING OR TAKING OFF. LOOK AND LISTEN FOR AIRCRAFT EVEN IF RUNWAY LIGHTS AREN’T ON.
Treeman
Barney

Postby Fly Boy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:15 pm

I have it figured out and Treeman is pretty close. Orman, 2-Disc Dan, and I played the new 18 hole "signature" course today, and it played pretty well. The current 27 hole layout remains in place as is, you just decide which particular layout you want to play when you start. Here's the "signature course" numbering: 19,20,21,23,24,25(the small lake hole on the south side),26,27,2,3(no guts no glory over the big lake),4,9,10,13(down to the old tree holding the basket),14,15,17,18(the runway hole). #18 is shortened a bit to make it a long par 5. Other than a little more walking between some of the holes, it flows very well, and allows you to be warmed up by the time you approach the big lake shots. Probably took us a little over 3 hours to play. Try it next time you're out here and let me know what you think.
Kelly
Fly Boy
DX Plastic

Postby i2rt » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:07 am

Fly Boy wrote:I have it figured out and Treeman is pretty close. Orman, 2-Disc Dan, and I played the new 18 hole "signature" course today, and it played pretty well. The current 27 hole layout remains in place as is, you just decide which particular layout you want to play when you start. Here's the "signature course" numbering: 19,20,21,23,24,25(the small lake hole on the south side),26,27,2,3(no guts no glory over the big lake),4,9,10,13(down to the old tree holding the basket),14,15,17,18(the runway hole). #18 is shortened a bit to make it a long par 5. Other than a little more walking between some of the holes, it flows very well, and allows you to be warmed up by the time you approach the big lake shots. Probably took us a little over 3 hours to play. Try it next time you're out here and let me know what you think.
Kelly

I will make a new booklet with this layout. Just let me know any info that you want added or deleted. If you do a new map please send it my way.
Bill Thornton
PDGA# 20980
i2rt
DX Plastic

Postby billnchristy » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:22 pm

Kelly I told Val about the new layout and she was very surprised that you had already figured it out.

She said many good things about her time there but definitely thought it was a bit too much.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Return to Flyboy Aviation - Private Course