Would anyone be interested in a Firebowl?

Henry County - Stockbridge, Ga

Moderators: dandaman, ADGO BOD

Would you be interested?

yes
53%
no
7%
entry fees should be as low as possible
20%
keep entry fees similar to ice bowl entries
20%

Total votes : 45

Would anyone be interested in a Firebowl?

Postby dandaman » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:11 am

Would anyone be intersted in a charity type event at the 'Mose' this year? Heck it doesn't even have to be for charity, but maybe a "no-frills, bragging rights only event'

The thing is this: One of the most tournament ready courses in Atlanta has no tournies on the dockett. I would like there to be a PDGA event but I'll be honest I'm not really that interested in securing sponsorships are even having sponsorship discs available for the tournament.

I know this sounds selfish but after taking a $600 hit to the wallet to run/help run the past two years Hotlanta's I want as little to do with the things that give running tournaments the most headaches. Namely the finacials of supporting payout and the other expenses the come along with sponsorship discs/merchandise/etc.

Really all I want is for people to experience playing competitive golf at the 'Mose.' I just don't want to have to pay for it. I'd keep the entry fees low as this would be a trophy only event. Perhaps the first 50 paid entrants would recieve a disc of t-shirt. I'd want to keep supplies limited so as to negate any excessive expenses. (Two years ago I ended up with 50 extra easter pastel colored dx wraiths...thanks Innova for the plastic you should have never made-it made great ring of fire swag, but I couldn't sell it to save my life...)

I could see entry fees in the $10-$20 range for all competitors for a one day, two round event. That way no one is really bummed because there is no disc or cash payout, and most of the entry fees can be used for things like the discs or t-shirts that would be given away.

A little bit of rambling here, but mainly I want to see if there would be any intrest for this type of event.
Johnson! Keep an eye on that Kherplakistan situation...
dandaman
Star Plastic

Re: Would anyone be interested in a Firebowl?

Postby djester » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:53 am

You know I'll play in it.
You may have to put up with my two brain cells colliding into each other though.
Why not make it a course improvement tournament? I really don't think my Last Saturday action is going to generate much funds. We coiuld look at options for hole 11, and start on the extra holes we looked at last year.

I may even be able to cook for the event if I started at the right hole on the course.
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby Rubiks » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:06 pm

I would play in it. I especially like events with low entry fees, what with being a poor college student and such. But I do enjoy good competitive golf, and $20 is a good price for a well-run, one-day tourney.
Support Collegiate Disc Golf

National Collegiate Disc Golf Championships
Hippodrome Disc Golf Complex
April 12-15, 2012 in North Augusta, SC
Rubiks
Pro Plastic

Postby dandaman » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:46 pm

djester wrote:You know I'll play in it.
You may have to put up with my two brain cells colliding into each other though.
Why not make it a course improvement tournament? I really don't think my Last Saturday action is going to generate much funds. We coiuld look at options for hole 11, and start on the extra holes we looked at last year.

I may even be able to cook for the event if I started at the right hole on the course.

Maybe it could be a tournament that benefits an organization such as HCPR. The point is low dollar, trophy only payout (unless someone would care donate swag for give aways). That way anyone who wishes to sign up can AND everyone is aware that this tournament is mainly for bragging rights on one of Georgia's toughest courses.

It would basically be a "no-frills I'm better than you and I don't need to pay a wad of cash to get a wad of cash to prove it" tournament. The only thing I wish for is that the tournament be PDGA (so that people will at least get points for placing well.) and that all overhead would be kept at a bare mininum...meaning maybe every participant gets a t-shirt for showing up. trophys may or may not be of professional quality...but hopefully more than a pinecone can be offered.

You may quote this: If it can be done for $10 a person for all divisions I will do it. BTW if you are not a current PDGA you would still have to pay the $10 fee.

Maybe it can be broken down like this: $5 for a shirt, $1 for insurance, $3 for on-line signup, $2 for the PDGA, and $2 for trophy payout. So I'm already over $10 but hey maybe we don't need shirts! I have a closet full of them anyway!
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby TomahawkChopper » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:09 am

You know Im down.We could call it the "Pimp My Course Tournament" and like Josh said raise money for the course.If you wanted discs you could use the JPMoseley art(signs hangin from the trees) for the discs.I still got rocks for you if you need them,ive been a lil under the weather for a minute now so I havent gathered them but havent forgot and will do so.
The artist formerly Known As MiLeNkO.........
Joey Tokash
PDGA 35002
TomahawkChopper
Pro Plastic

Postby djester » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:11 am

Why not have the price at $20?
1st-4th in each division could get a special trophy disc (printed "1st place" with the Moseley bird design, 2nd place, etc). Something that the winner might want to place on their wall (Inncolor star disc) . Players pack could consist of a tourney shirt (non-bird design) or a tourney disc. Maybe a rubber wood Roc or something along the lower cost range (pro, kc, dx?).
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby dandaman » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:12 am

$20 would be at the high end. If it can be done cheaper I will do it. I would like to see an JPM eagle stamped disc...but only Discraft would be in acceptable pricerange (apparently Innova missed the memo about the country being in an a recession...

But once again you start talking discs, t-shirts and the such that's overhead. I don't want any overhead. Therefor this tourney my be trophy only. I do believe that t-shirts however would not be totally out of the question. Those , I believe, would be at an acceptable price. I want a max of $150 of my own money fronted to the tournament.

No-frills dude. No frills.
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby djester » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:07 am

You have to have something to attract players besides a trophy and points. I'll front money for discs, etc. I'll order them too (and make sure I don't get any pastel colored easter discs!). I'll work on the design for the Inncolor discs. The inncolor discs were the best selling discs of Hotlanta. That would make it easier on you and you can concentrate on the trophies.

If you are trying to raise money for charity you need to have some kind of plastic or prize to make the entrants feel like they are getting something for their money (besides giving to charity, they can do that without having to play disc golf).

In the end, it's your action and you can do what you decide for it. I'd like to help make it a decent tournament for the only PDGA action at JpM park this year.
No one else is weighing in on this 3 person discussion anyways.
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby jritger » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:37 am

Check out the PDGA's competition endowment program .... this would qualify since its either charity or developmental ($$ going back into course). Your only fee would be $50 sanctioning. They waive the $10/non PDGA fee and the $2 fee goes to your cause instead of the PDGA. And, you can do whatever you want regarding payout (or lack thereof).

I'm down for $10 or $20 action, whichever ... pump the $$ back into the course.
jritger

Postby TomahawkChopper » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:20 pm

Up by my work theres an intersection there where folks stand round with their buckets bummin money,we could so do that.Stand at the the end of the exit ramps of the interstates near our homes and hold up signs stating were broke and need course funds. 8)
Joey Tokash
PDGA 35002
TomahawkChopper
Pro Plastic

Postby edj42 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:03 am

As one who would fall into the "added cash" category, I would not mind seeing this no frills kind of tournament. The discs, the swag, the t-shirts are all well and good, but I play to get out and see if I can compete (usually against my own capabilities).
I would also assume you would have as many divisions as made sense so the "distance challenged/ putting incompetent" ones like myself wouldn't be competing against the pros.
Re: trophies. I would suggest a decent "medallion". Where do you display a trophy? I have some from another sport and my wife allows me to display them on the inside of the closet in the attic. A medallion can be looked at and put in a box and not take up space.
"When a ball dreams, it dreams it is a frisbee."
edj42
DX Plastic

Postby dandaman » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:27 pm

I like the idea of medallions.

I like the idea of endowment tournament.

I like the idea of a JPM eagle stamped disc.

I like the idea of it being $20 flat rate.
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby billnchristy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:39 pm

Another idea I had before was a kick ass patch that could be sewn on your bag...kind of like one of those military jackets that covertly brags about all the cool places they have been and you havent...

Another thing if you are just going for the "cool looking keep at home" disc category, Lightning pro plastic is $3.95 a piece and he doesn't charge for custom stamps...you cannot beat that for cheap.

Gateway is cheap too...I know everyone around here is an anything but innova/discraft hater but hell...cheap is cheap.

We still need to get down that way and play...maybe this will be the reason.

*Just dont do it may 15th*
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby Subicon » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:10 pm

I'd be down for this as long as it wasn't too expensive. I've only played JPM twice, but I really like the course.

billnchristy wrote:Gateway is cheap too...I know everyone around here is an anything but innova/discraft hater but hell...cheap is cheap.

I bought a Gateway Blaze Evo a month ago and it is slowly becoming my favorite driver.
Subicon
Barney

Postby Bornabuckeye » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:00 pm

Love the patch idea, cheap and useful.

Any chance of using the same approach that we bantered about yrs ago where we stretch it out and put the players through the ringer at least one round? Like a survivor idea? Then let them shoot it out second rd? I remember you saying something along these lines a long time ago, not sure if this was still the case.
PDGA Member # 36856
donniekreece@gmail.com
(678) 632-2397
Bornabuckeye
Champion Plastic

Postby dandaman » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:31 am

Bornabuckeyefan wrote:Love the patch idea, cheap and useful.

Any chance of using the same approach that we bantered about yrs ago where we stretch it out and put the players through the ringer at least one round? Like a survivor idea? Then let them shoot it out second rd? I remember you saying something along these lines a long time ago, not sure if this was still the case.

First of all: Are you still alive? I thought you gave up when you figured out you would never beat me in the game of disc golf. :lol:

There is an "afterburner lay-out" for the Mose, yes. Would it ever be played in a tournament setting? I doubt it. I could only see adding one hole and that is my patent pending reversible 1000 ft. double mando U-shaped hole. 8) :geek: :wink:

But thats about it.

How about coming out of retirement man, your still young enough not to know any better. :ugeek:
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby Funky Bobby J » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:59 am

I like wall-plaques (easier to find space for than things that require shelf space) or maybe bag tags like they do in tennis. Bag tags would be cheap and easier than patches to attach/remove.
Living in the United States where the hottest European import is Plutocracy...
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby dandaman » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:00 pm

I like the idea of a Moseley Bag Tag. Eagle Up!
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby Bornabuckeye » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:35 am

dandaman wrote:
Bornabuckeyefan wrote:Love the patch idea, cheap and useful.

First of all: Are you still alive? I thought you gave up when you figured out you would never beat me in the game of disc golf. :lol:

There is an "afterburner lay-out" for the Mose, yes. Would it ever be played in a tournament setting? I doubt it. I could only see adding one hole and that is my patent pending reversible 1000 ft. double mando U-shaped hole. 8) :geek: :wink:

But thats about it.

How about coming out of retirement man, your still young enough not to know any better. :ugeek:

HAHA thanks, and yes I am still alive. Shame you never were able to see the beginnings of DonJuan the backhander.. JPZ got a preview. But alas, life has been amazing, heartbreaking, blurry, and flat out dramatic the last year. As most know about divorce, youd all be surprised to hear that me and the ex rekindled our relationship and are expecting our second child. With the new addition, its sad to report that I lost my father over New Years Eve. So those two events and all of the logistical measures that go with them have kept me busy. Add that too not taking on the thorns at moze, not playing in the rain or freezing temps and you have formula for Donnies disappearance. Im living in Hampton now, so I still take a stroll for 9 at McCurry from time to time. Ive got to start playing more as life is settling in more and more now. Buckeyes emergence will soon happen, just like the Sasquatch that guards our baskets.
PDGA Member # 36856
donniekreece@gmail.com
(678) 632-2397
Bornabuckeye
Champion Plastic

Postby TomahawkChopper » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:56 pm

Whats the word big bird? We doing this? Is there a date In mind yet?

Also Ive gathered some rocks at the house here and also noticed a good bit of rocks in the woods at the Mose that we could use.If anybody wants to do some course work on days Im off Id be glad to help.I never get Saturdays off normally wednesday and Friday.
Joey Tokash
PDGA 35002
TomahawkChopper
Pro Plastic

Postby djester » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:51 pm

if you're off on Wednesdays.... why are you not at Perkerson??
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby dandaman » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:41 am

Yea got excited at first but now I've cooled off...maybe in the fall...I don't know...I kinda wish there was someone else besides a 60 hr. workweek guy who would be willing to run some sanctioned action at the Mose'. My motivation is not too strong as of right now...maybe had I not got burned out so much on running Hotlanta. TD'ng is a (nearly) thankless job and the amount of active particpants who actively go out of the way to dissuade a successful event (even though they are fewer than those who don't) really put a sour taste in my mouth.

So for those reasons you don't see an event on the calander. Anyone know what I mean?
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby TomahawkChopper » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:27 pm

I know there are a few of us that would be willing to help out for sure,as for running it I wouldnt know where to start broski.
My work never stops with the 40 plus hrs at work then the rest of my time devoted to Joseph 3 and Loki 8 months........then of course theres Sami my wife.oh yeah damn yard and house upkeep jebus crapes there killing me :wink: .So yeah my schedules pretty booked Id be wiling to help out though in my spare time :o .
Joey Tokash
PDGA 35002
TomahawkChopper
Pro Plastic

Postby dandaman » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:49 am

DD-

Your post was meant to play jest- I get it. But then again it confirmed what I had already had wrote:

TD'ng is a (nearly) thankless job and the amount of active particpants who actively go out of the way to dissuade a successful event (even though they are fewer than those who don't) really put a sour taste in my mouth.

Thanks for providing the sour taste...
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby djester » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:45 am

lighten up Danny!! You know DD is a good friend, and is only poking fun.

No need to delete his post.
If you ever decide to run a sanctioned tournement again, please make sure your disc order doesn't include all of the discs that Innova had sitting around in their warehouse.
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby DD » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:23 am

dandaman wrote:DD-

Your post was meant to play jest- I get it. But then again it confirmed what I had already had wrote:

TD'ng is a (nearly) thankless job and the amount of active particpants who actively go out of the way to dissuade a successful event (even though they are fewer than those who don't) really put a sour taste in my mouth.

Thanks for providing the sour taste...

Martyrdom is unbecoming.
Dave Douglas
DD
DX Plastic

Postby mr.disc » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:44 am

CHECK.
"Feared by deer, Adored by women"
mr.disc
Champion Plastic

Postby dandaman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:59 pm

Hey as the folks around here say "I'm just sayin'"

I'm still pissed off on how well run (I believe it was) Hotlanta was two years ago and how short I came up on breaking even. The tournament undersold because IMO there was too much negative discussion being placed on the locations of the event. Discussions, once again IMO, that hurt the bottom line, were counterproductive to the tournaments success and helped fuel my statements here.

When a TD runs an event they are dedicating large amounts of time, efforts and cash to make sure the event goes off as smoothly as possible. I can't speak for all TD's but I for one would prefer that any unproductive comments just be left unspoken. That is not to say that critism can't be voiced, it just means that critism should be tactfully addressed specifically so since the job of a TD is largely voluenteer.

I like to do things for my disc golf community but if it becomes a hassle or goes underappreciated you can see why I would be quick to 86 it off the books.

A martyr? No. Soothsayer? Maybe.
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby mrpbody33 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:47 am

I'm still pissed off on how well run (I believe it was) Hotlanta was two years ago and how short I came up on breaking even.

2008 Hotlanta - 115 players (40 Pro/75 Am)
2009 Hotlanta - 64 players (26 Pro/38 Am)

Looks like 2008 was a success to me.
Barry "Mr. P'body" Arnson
PDGA# 28128
ADGO# 133
http://discgolfatlanta.com/
mrpbody33

Postby dandaman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:01 pm

IMO it should have sold out. If I had had 10-20 more player entries I would have broken even.
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby Funky Bobby J » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:56 pm

djester wrote:lighten up Danny!! You know DD is a good friend, and is only poking fun.

No need to delete his post.
If you ever decide to run a sanctioned tournement again, please make sure your disc order doesn't include all of the discs that Innova had sitting around in their warehouse.

Deleting a post that is neither threatening nor offensive = WEAK INVALID SCHULE and over-stepping one's bounds as a moderator.... I am just sayin... Sometimes moderators need......moderating....
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby mr.disc » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:00 pm

CHECK. :idea:
"Feared by deer, Adored by women"
mr.disc
Champion Plastic

Postby dandaman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:58 pm

I am in the process of getting a life...

But there are too many trivial things that I wish to comment on...

I'm reminded by that song:"If I had a hammer..."

But I'm sure my version of the lyrics would differ from there...

So I run with open ended sentences...

So that everyone knows exactly where they...
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby Funky Bobby J » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:20 pm

Maybe this will help...

Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby dandaman » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:12 pm

Endorsed past experiences usually do...

And for the record I usually don't go out of my way to be an ass.

What's your excuse?
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby Funky Bobby J » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:59 pm

It's just that you received lots of accolades for stepping up and doing it, but keep seeking approval/sympathy. Other TDs have dealt with a buttload more adversity and seek neither.

Matthew Mashburn got his tournament kicked around like a rag doll, bumped and booked over top of last year and was a trooper
Jay just lost a few hundred bucks in Toccoa from lack of support - he has been a huge monetary sponsor of many tournaments - it would have been cool to see some reciprocation from the disc golf community in his first effort -
Grease is a big time sponsor of tournaments across the state and has been for a while and came no where close to filling up last year after a natural disaster - you would have thought the disc golf community would show him some more love and respect
If you had any idea all the crap Rand went thru for the AO last year it would boggle your mind that he ever wanted to run a tournament again.

None of these guys felt in necessary to pat themselves on the back, nor whine on the board about their adversities (nor did they give me any approval to mention their adversities here). They asked people to come play and moved on. Each one did a spectacular job as I am sure you did. If you seek continuined accolades/pity on the message board months after the tournament - you'll likely get poked fun of.

That is all - I am sorry that you had a bad TD experience, just let it go. Or call the guys on the list above and start a quilting bee.
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby dandaman » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:51 pm

Point well taken.

I guess that's part about being a TD. I'm reluctant to want to TD an event again just b/c of the hassle of things that I really have no control of...

But I must admit that I really enjoyed being a part of the Hotlanta experience. It was something that I would have never have thought that I could or even would do when I first moved here. It was a chance to continue on a tradition that has been apart of the Atlanta DG scene since before my time.

I really don't want my gripe's to be the center of the issue. So for that I apologize.

I probably will run another event sometime but probably just at the Mose'. There are less headaches there and not quite as much to have to chew.

Let's play some golf and enjoy the efforts of others. Lets support them by being their willing participants.

The quilting bee does not sound like such a good idea.
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby D-Wiz » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:34 pm

I'm ready for some Mosely action since I haven't played it yet. On a side note, I think the Intermediate field in GA this year is a dandy. The ratings spreads are tight. Anyone could win it... A large field to boot and if you look at the ratings of the winners this season (you included Mr. Perkerson May), you've got to play pretty decent to win.

The only thing better would be if I was caddying at the Selinske Masters this weekend...
promoting D-GOLF since 2007
D-Wiz
Pro Plastic

Postby Woodrow » Mon May 03, 2010 2:10 pm

D-Wiz wrote:The only thing better would be if I was caddying at the Selinske Masters this weekend...

NOW you tell me! :roll:
Woodrow

Postby D-Wiz » Mon May 03, 2010 2:46 pm

Woodrow wrote:
D-Wiz wrote:The only thing better would be if I was caddying at the Selinske Masters this weekend...

NOW you tell me! :roll:

Well, it seemed to work for Hosfeld and might have put you in the winner's circle. Good playing Woodrow! A couple of 1000 rated rounds...nice.

If it weren't for my sister-in-law graduating medical school and us throwing the party, I would have been there. Star-studded field and a significant event is hard to pass up. Of course, I "might" have carried Brock's bag since he could have paid me more :lol:

We've got some good golfers in these here hills of GA.
promoting D-GOLF since 2007
D-Wiz
Pro Plastic

Postby TomahawkChopper » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:55 pm

So hows that firebowl comin along? :lol:
Joey Tokash
PDGA 35002
TomahawkChopper
Pro Plastic

Return to J.P. Moseley Park