Pet Peeve

Gwinnett County - Lawrenceville, Ga

Moderator: ADGO BOD

Pet Peeve

Postby Splash_4 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:26 pm

My fellow disc golfers.... I am ashamed of our sport right now. Gwinnett County has given us a new park in a part of the county that had not been well served before and how do we repay them.... By throwing tons of crap all over the new course. This course has been open less than a week and it is already starting to look like a garbage dump. My wife and I have played there every day since opening day and have seen the garbage start to really pile up in the woods. So much so that last night we each took plastic shopping bags with us and our group to pick up the course as we played. At the end of the round we had 4 (DID YOU HEAR THAT??? FOUR!!! in only 6 days!) bags full of empty beer cans, bottles, candy wrappers, coffee cups and the like that we had picked up. I understand that there are no cans on the course, but to get back to your car you have to pass many of them on the walking trails. Please, please, please, if you're going to pack it in... do us all a favor and pack it out!
Splash_4
DX Plastic

Re: Pet Peeve

Postby Carl Wms » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:38 pm

Noticed the same thing. Barnies.
Carl Wms
Champion Plastic

Postby djester » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:50 pm

I would guess it is more likely the non-golfers that are throwing trash everywhere.... but as I have not been out there, I don't know. It could very well be Barnies.... if you see someone throwing trash down, tell them to pick it up. I'd still guess that the folks to blame are not golfers.
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby Splash_4 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:53 pm

I would agree if I had not played the course. The DG course is separate from the rest of the park so we are doing it to ourselves. If I see someone dropping this crap, you can bet that a pointed comment will be made.
Splash_4
DX Plastic

Postby gvan » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:58 pm

Yeah, few non-golfers out there, though there are some.

To make things worse, Mike (Splash), I took a bag out also which was, I assume, before you got there.

Gerrit
uǝʞuɐɹʌ uɐʌ ʇıɹɹǝƃ
gvan

Postby VERMIN » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:12 pm

Sounds like you need to take 5 bags next time. - Barney's litter. That is their nature and they flock to new courses like a nasty rash - Don't be ashamed of your sport (game) but you should be ashamed of the poor job that parents in Gwineet County have done educating their children on how to use a trash can.
Speakin' the vernacular of the peasantry. Poor little kid, I hope she gets home all right....Professor Marvel

Vern Williams - ADGO #120 - PDGA #27359
VERMIN
Star Plastic

Postby billnchristy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:10 pm

Oh don't act like it is just here, ERP is bad, central is bad...in fact the only ones I have not seen much trash on is Redan and Lenora.

It is crappy though, I forgot to bring a bag and there is already more out there...it is weird how you never see anyone doing it but its always there...
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby Splash_4 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:19 pm

Don't get me wrong. The other courses are well established and I do pick up garbage as I play them as well. I am just flumoxed at how quickly a park that has only been opened 1 week has gotten to this point.
Splash_4
DX Plastic

Postby billnchristy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:47 pm

Yeah I hear ya, there was crap all over the place on opening day.

Ryan did say that he regrets not putting trash cans out there and that the county was going to be adding them...hopefully they do soon.

I noticed they put hard plastic collars around the pin positions to stop erosion (I presume) so they have been working still.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby waruss » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:37 pm

I played the course June 14 and while there was some trash it was not too bad. Will be playing tomorrow and will be sure to take some bags. I will also report when I am done. Cans would surely make a difference as there are way too many pigs in the world and not just on a disc golf course. We should all be willing to step up and tell the offenders we don't appreciate it if and when we see it happening. If you ever hear a very loud and obnoxious blurt out of "WEAK" emanating from the woods, you can be sure I am in the process of calling someone down. Come to my aid please as I am not going to back down on these offenders! In fact why don't we adopt the word as a universal call out to the littering Barnys and when you hear it, sound it out yourself and head toward the offenders continously repeating the word. Try to imagine the Barny hearing the call coming at him/her from all directions. The course has too much potential to let its reputation slip into negative so early because of this. If anyone has walked the trails, I am curious as to whether you see the same thing there. I thought dog crap was going to be the big problem as there seems to be a huge number of dog walkers and only a few poop bag stations. Cans, we have to get the cans and see if that helps. Of course cans have to be emptied and that is labor and labor is a large part of the cost for a park. That is just my opinion, I could be wrong. NOT!
waruss
Barney

Postby cnalbers » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:13 pm

What's a Barney?
Life without God, oh, and beer, is meaningless.
cnalbers
DX Plastic

Postby waruss » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:41 pm

I do not know the official definition of a Barney but from what I have taken from all the references I have seen; a Barney is generally someone who lacks consideration for his fellow man and the sport of disc golf and does not understand how to conduct themselves in a manner consistent with the positive promotion of our sport.

I played the course this morning and it was very clean. Thank you to everyone who contributed to the clean up and maintenance of the course.

It was also very cool to see players on every hole and play moving along without too much wait time.
waruss
Barney

Postby maximus » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:45 pm

cnalbers wrote:What's a Barney?

Its Fred Flinstones neighbor, DUH!

Andy Taylor's deputy?

Big purple dinasaur?
Chris Quarles 34486

IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW FAR IT MIGHT GO PAST THE BASKET, IF IT GOES IN.
maximus

Postby Can't Hit Open Putts » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:04 am

Everyone at first. Then you become a disc golfer!

How can you tell its a barney?

1. plays with a lid.

2. plays in a group larger than 6 people for no money.

3. usually in the shule but don't know what shule is.

Help! what is a barney ?????
Is this post really necessary?
Can't Hit Open Putts
Champion Plastic

Postby grease » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:58 pm

I played this course today and have to say great job to all involved. It was fun to play.
Thanks for all the work.
Fart, it's never not funny!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby luke » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:21 am

People who throw cigarette butts down anywhere should have their skin peeled and rolled on a stick, then they should be tickled until they pee and simultaneously set aflame.

The trash problem will unfortunately always be around. Ignorance is increased almost every time a kid is born. Anyone seen [i]Idiocracy[i]? It's truer than we want it to be.
Last edited by luke on Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
luke
Star Plastic

Postby billnchristy » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:10 am

Yes it is! My wife and I will make Idiocracy comments a lot and it is kind of disturbing how true the movie is.

That being said, those who have been picking up have done a killer job, we met a friend from Kennessaw out there yesterday and there was no jump out at you visible trash.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby VERMIN » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:50 am

Finally played the course. Nice mix of holes. Obviously could use some more parking and defintely some trash cans around the course.

I would like to thank the girl that was running in the gray shorts and red top for wearing Buckeye colors when I played. Couldn't have asked for a better first day at the park .
Speakin' the vernacular of the peasantry. Poor little kid, I hope she gets home all right....Professor Marvel

VERMIN
Star Plastic

Postby Corndawg13 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:14 pm

I'll be playing there tomorrow for the first time and I cannot wait!
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

Forsyth County Disc Golf Organization President
http://www.facebook.com/FCDGO
COME TO CP DUBS SUNDAYS AT 2!!!

If I don't respond to a post in due time, please message me on Facebook or call/text me, thanks!
Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Postby Ghostinthemachine » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:06 pm

A. Large purple dinosaur

B. Carries one disc or a grocery store bag with two or three

C. Does not know the meaning of the word "action"

D. Jump putts from 10 ft

E. Does not use the word "Fore" when throwing at you "accidentally"

F. Throws a Whamo beach frisbee

G. Stares at you instead of asking to play through

H. Throws trash and cigarette butts on the ground or Misses the trash can and does not pick it up

Every disc golfer was once a barney! You were clueless and too proud (scared) to ask for help. Then one day, a disc golfer gave a real disc or some decent advice or invited you to play. Slowly, the purple started to fade from your skin tone. You had one driver, one approach disc and a putter and started thinking about that first disc golf bag that was not from the grocery store or Walmarts. Then, you played in your first competitive event, usually doubles and realized just how much you sucked. This is the turning point. Either you picked up your plastic and never returned or you picked up your shattered dignity and swore you would show them!

I remember those days, do you?

My first event was Tuesday Night Doubles at Redan when Mike Houchin talked me into playing with Nabber, Mort, Whapow and Boat. Maybe 1991 or 1992?

Every barney could evolve into a competitive disc golfer. Every recreational amateur could evolve into Intermediate Am. Every Am could evolve into a Pro rated player. Just depend on how far up the evolutionary ladder you decide to go.
Ghostinthemachine
DX Plastic

Postby arrdee33 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:10 pm

Ghostinthemachine wrote:

A. Large purple dinosaur

B. Carries one disc or a grocery store bag with two or three

C. Does not know the meaning of the word "action"

D. Jump putts from 10 ft

E. Does not use the word "Fore" when throwing at you "accidentally"

F. Throws a Whamo beach frisbee

G. Stares at you instead of asking to play through

H. Throws trash and cigarette butts on the ground or Misses the trash can and does not pick it up

Every disc golfer was once a barney! You were clueless and too proud (scared) to ask for help. Then one day, a disc golfer gave a real disc or some decent advice or invited you to play. Slowly, the purple started to fade from your skin tone. You had one driver, one approach disc and a putter and started thinking about that first disc golf bag that was not from the grocery store or Walmarts. Then, you played in your first competitive event, usually doubles and realized just how much you sucked. This is the turning point. Either you picked up your plastic and never returned or you picked up your shattered dignity and swore you would show them!

I remember those days, do you?

My first event was Tuesday Night Doubles at Redan when Mike Houchin talked me into playing with Nabber, Mort, Whapow and Boat. Maybe 1991 or 1992?

Every barney could evolve into a competitive disc golfer. Every recreational amateur could evolve into Intermediate Am. Every Am could evolve into a Pro rated player. Just depend on how far up the evolutionary ladder you decide to go.

Well said,
I'd say my best "barney" moment was finding someones lost buzzz, no name on it, i keep it and used it as a putter cause i didnt know better :shock:

i agree with all you said, I think we guess everyone figures out on there own how to respect the game.
we also forget that having this a free sport means no-one takes care of the course except the players themselves, when you walk by that trash your just as guilty as the one who threw it down. I know that logic sucks but you can feel better just knowing you helped by picking it up, and garbage cans will help when they get em in.

i played this course for the first time, its a jewel!! take care of it.
arrdee33
DX Plastic

Postby maximus » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:46 pm

arrdee33 wrote: when you walk by that trash your just as guilty as the one who threw it down.

So I guess you feel REALLY guilty when you drive down the road and see all that trash on the highway you drive on.

Are you serious!!!?!? Those people that carry bags around during a round and pick up trash, I applaud you, but I am sorry if I go to PLAY disc golf and you consider me just as guilty as the MORON who can't pack his drink or candy bar in and pack the empty container out!

Trash cans on a disc golf course cater to the LAZY people, and let me tell you now if you didn't already know, just cause you put them out there, doesn't mean they are gonna get used!

No offense arrdee33, just making a point.
Chris Quarles 34486

IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW FAR IT MIGHT GO PAST THE BASKET, IF IT GOES IN.
maximus

Postby Carl Wms » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:34 pm

And why do some guys put on perfume before they go out for Disc golf?

99.5% of the players are men. What are you Axe, Brut, Musk that smells like the under side of a camel's saddle wearers thinking?
Carl Wms
Champion Plastic

Postby VERMIN » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:52 pm

Carl Wms wrote:And why do some guys put on perfume before they go out for Disc golf?
99.5% of the players are men. What are you Axe, Brut, Musk that smells like the under side of a camel's saddle wearers thinking?

Carl- Referencing cheap cologne is just as bad as the people who wear it.

VERMIN
Star Plastic

Postby Carl Wms » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:43 pm

I'm mortified, but do not smell like a Frenchman.
Carl Wms
Champion Plastic

Postby mr.disc » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:49 pm

cologne pre round = trollin for Gayers. :shock:
"Feared by deer, Adored by women"
mr.disc
Champion Plastic

Postby Carl Wms » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:42 pm

Cologne is a French word that means deodorant hasn't been invented yet so why don't I rub this musk oxen gland under my arm pits
Carl Wms
Champion Plastic

Postby arrdee33 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:07 pm

maximus wrote:
arrdee33 wrote: when you walk by that trash your just as guilty as the one who threw it down.

So I guess you feel REALLY guilty when you drive down the road and see all that trash on the highway you drive on.

Are you serious!!!?!? Those people that carry bags around during a round and pick up trash, I applaud you, but I am sorry if I go to PLAY disc golf and you consider me just as guilty as the MORON who can't pack his drink or candy bar in and pack the empty container out!

Trash cans on a disc golf course cater to the LAZY people, and let me tell you now if you didn't already know, just cause you put them out there, doesn't mean they are gonna get used!

No offense arrdee33, just making a point.

Point taken, i guess what i ment was for those who walk by it, then get on here and complain about it should feel guilty because they didnt help the cause and its no ones job to pick it up. we as the golfers are the only ones that will do it. like you said, the trash cans wont stop it from happening, thats what this thread was about right?? the barneys?? but if each golfer picked up one thing per round it might help. so your right, dont feel guilty.

as i said before, the logic sucks, i dont like picking up other punks trash, but its the only way it will get done.
hopefully disc golf wont come to the day when greens fees are added to the park to pay someone to maintain the course.
personally i'd rather pick up a bottle than pay that.
arrdee33
DX Plastic

Postby gvan » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:14 pm

The Alex makes a good case study though. They put Trash cans in at 5 holes. I don't even think they are in great locations, but the amount of trash on the course itself is down dramatically. I rarely pick up more than 2 or 3 bottles/cans anymore and the course has been pretty clean.
uǝʞuɐɹʌ uɐʌ ʇıɹɹǝƃ
gvan

Postby Carl Wms » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:40 pm

Yes, this week on the course I found only one empty bottle of Old Spice.
Carl Wms
Champion Plastic

Postby VERMIN » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:52 am

I plan on bringing my trash and dropping it around the trash cans just to screw up gvan's case study.

VERMIN
Star Plastic

Postby Funky Bobby J » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:43 am

I was going to balance my trash on the rim so he'd have to start a new category for his case study.
Living in the United States where the hottest European import is Plutocracy...
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby VERMIN » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:24 pm

New Pet Peeve - Corporate outings on Saturday mornings at Alex. Had to go to another course.

VERMIN
Star Plastic

Postby Lofstrand » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:53 pm

Yeah, I was surprised that nothing was posted on the Alexander message thread about this. I also thought that the pin positions would be changed. I played Sunday and only saw #17 changed.
PDGA#29514
Lofstrand
Pro Plastic

Postby Carl Wms » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:00 pm

Another Pet Peeve:

Corporate executives that land in the pond and then whine until someone pulls them out.
Carl Wms
Champion Plastic

Postby gvan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:16 pm

Lofstrand wrote:Yeah, I was surprised that nothing was posted on the Alexander message thread about this. I also thought that the pin positions would be changed. I played Sunday and only saw #17 changed.

As far as the course closure, In hindsight, I should have created a topic about this in the Alexander Park threads. Sorry. I did mention it here http://www.discgolfatlanta.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2006 but that was a while ago.

The closing was posted on the park sign for a couple of weeks as well.

Sorry though. From now on, as I hear about these things I'll post them.

As for the pin positions. 4 additional changes happened on Sunday. Obviously after you played :)

1, 4, 10, 15 and 17 are different than last week. 3 pins will change every 2-3 weeks going forward.
uǝʞuɐɹʌ uɐʌ ʇıɹɹǝƃ
gvan

Postby Subicon » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:19 am

I know this is an old thread, but I think it needs a bump. I am really tired of seeing trash on the local courses (Alex and Lenora). There are trash cans EVERYWHERE on both courses and there is just no excuse for littering. If I personally witness someone littering I am going to call them out on it and raise hell. To those who can't be bothered to throw their trash in the cans: GET OUT AND STAY OUT! :evil:
Subicon
Barney

Postby Splash_4 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:09 am

I was just thinking about this today as I picked up two Kroger bags of debris yesterday. I am also really ticked off about the 30 or so beer bottle caps I picked up yesterday as well. Come on guys, if you pack it in, pack it out!
Splash_4
DX Plastic

Postby Rubiks » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:15 pm

Subicon wrote:I am really tired of seeing trash on the local courses (Alex and Lenora). There are trash cans EVERYWHERE on both courses and there is just no excuse for littering. If I personally witness someone littering I am going to call them out on it and raise hell. To those who can't be bothered to throw their trash in the cans: GET OUT AND STAY OUT! :evil:

Saying that on the message boards is preaching to the choir. The solution requires posting more trashcans, more signs against littering, and raising more awareness among newer and casual players in general. And of course, you should always lead by example. I assume you pick up trash as you play, and seeing a disc golfer doing their small part to clean up the course will inspire others.
Support Collegiate Disc Golf

National Collegiate Disc Golf Championships
Hippodrome Disc Golf Complex
April 12-15, 2012 in North Augusta, SC
Rubiks
Pro Plastic

Postby Funky Bobby J » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:44 pm

We posted signs at Central - I cannot even describe how effective that has been - nearly a 5% drop in litter. There are cans at every 3 or 4 holes here - it makes little difference.
Living in the United States where the hottest European import is Plutocracy...
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Return to Alexander Park