Longest disc golf hole in the world in jeopardy!

Carroll County - Whitesburg, Ga

Moderators: Fly Boy, ADGO BOD

Longest disc golf hole in the world in jeopardy!

Postby Fly Boy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:20 pm

The Runway hole, #18 at Flyboy is arguably the longest disc golf hole in the world, and one of the signature holes on the course. Even though it is a Monster hole, If you've played it, you know it's one of the funnest holes on the course, and we don't want to lose it!

I always brief everyone playing the course on runway safety, and how AIRPLANES ALWAYS HAVE PRIORITY OVER DISC GOLFERS!!!!! Last Sunday one of my neighbors was making his approach to the runway in his airplane, and had to execute a go around for a disc golfer on the runway. Landing an airplane is usually the most stressful part of the flight for a pilot, especially if its windy. He'll be completing landing checklists, configuring the flaps and landing gear, and jacking up his focus to accomplish a safe landing. The LAST thing he needs is to be distracted by someone on the runway, and worse yet, having to discontinue his approach and execute a go around. Go arounds suck because the pilot now has to quickly transition from a fully configured airplane ready to land, to a clean airplane ready to fly again, you're kinda assholes and elbows for several seconds making that transition. Go arounds particularly suck on our runway because of the uphill slope. Not only are you having to apply full power and struggle to climb, but here, you have to out climb the hill too! This gets downright sporty in some of the low performance airplanes out here, which was the case with this incident. I short, my neighbor, who by the way, couldn't give a shit about disc golf, was not happy, and I had some serious damage control on my hands.

So, pay attention, be alert for airplanes, and clear the runway smartly if someone shows up in the traffic pattern, or taxies out for takeoff. Don't just depend on the runway lights to alert you of airplane operations. Sometimes the lights don't work, or the pilot can't get them to come on. You've got to Look and LISTEN. If you see an airplane in flight near the runway, he's probably going to land soon. Keep him in sight, you can bet he's got YOU in sight, and he wants to see YOU clear the runway QUICKLY. That tells him YOU know he's there, and he can now focus on not screwing up the landing. Always take your disc and mini with you. The airplane could kick it up and possibly cause damage.

We don't have all that many airplanes flying here, but on a pretty day, you'll probably see one or two during your round. I truly believe that disc golfers and airplanes can coexist out here, but you guys have to help me out if we want to keep this fantastic course. Remember, this ain't Redan. Its private property, and my neighbors have the say whether Flyboy disc golf lives or dies.

I look forward to seeing you out here soon.

Kelly
Fly Boy
DX Plastic

Re: Longest disc golf hole in the world in jeopardy!

Postby Woodrow » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:22 pm

What a shame. Some buttheads just don't get it. :( This person knows who they are...and some others of us do too. Stand up and admit your mistake and apologize to Kelly and all of us Disc Golfers that love this course and would never do ANYTHING to jeopardize its existence. But especially apologize to that pilot. Draft a letter and send it to Kelly. Make it heartfelt and sincere and just maybe we can all get a new lease on keeping Flyboy. Anything short of that would be cowardice and irresponsible. :evil:
Woodrow

Postby Corndawg13 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:07 am

Yes indeed, please do what Kelly sees fit in this situation. Flyboy is awesome and noone, especially Kelly, wants to lose it.
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

Forsyth County Disc Golf Organization President
http://www.facebook.com/FCDGO
COME TO CP DUBS SUNDAYS AT 2!!!

If I don't respond to a post in due time, please message me on Facebook or call/text me, thanks!
Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Postby Corndawg13 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:41 pm

They know all about Flyboy down here in Jacksonville, FL.
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

If I don't respond to a post in due time, please message me on Facebook or call/text me, thanks!
Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Postby djester » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:02 am

I didn't know that show stills airs.
"What is the 18th hole at Fly Boy Aviation disc golf course, Alex."
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby scheibe » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:37 pm

That's sad to hear. What a jackass. Thanks for having us all out there last Sunday Kelly.
scheibe
Barney

Postby Fly Boy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:30 pm

OK guys, the gentleman in question has promptly stepped forward, fessed up, and forwarded an apology to me and to the pilot. Well done sir! Hopefully this is the last we'll hear about it, and the last time this happens.
Thanks
Kelly
Fly Boy
DX Plastic

Postby Corndawg13 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:05 am

good deal!
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Postby Woodrow » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:32 am

Outstanding! I am impressed.
Woodrow

Return to Flyboy Aviation - Private Course