Beer+Music+Disc Golf @ Perkerson 3/27/10 -- Need Local DGers

Questions & Answers

Moderator: ADGO BOD

Beer+Music+Disc Golf @ Perkerson 3/27/10 -- Need Local DGers

Postby jritger » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:13 am

This isn't a tourney, hence the thread location, although i'm not opposed to including some sort of competition.

Event Flyer: http://sites.google.com/site/jritger/Home/3885SFFBWflier.pdf

The neighborhoods of Sylvan Hills & Capitol View are putting together the 1st annual Spring Forward Festival @ Perkerson Park on Saturday March 27th, 2010. This is a city festival, like every neighborhood in the city of Atlanta has ... think Inman Park Fest, Cabbagetown's Stomp N' Chomp, Midtown's Dogwood Festival, etc... but, this is the 1st year for the festival so it will be on a smaller scale. No vending is the key so the arts & crafts booths will be absent.

This festival will feature beer, concerts (@ the pavillion), several booths, pies....and most importantly, disc golf. This is the 1st year so it's starting small, they are expecting a few hundred people. I'm planning on having a disc golf booth with info about disc golf in general, the ADGO and the course @ Perkerson. I want to setup holes 8-17, complete with baskets (looking to borrow some metal if possible) and signage. I want to run clinics throughout the day. And any other ideas on things to include are appreciated -- we have free reign on what to include in the festival, which will run from 12pm - 7pm.

So -- i'm looking for everyone that's available to come hang out @ the park that day. This is potentially huge exposure to hundreds of people who've never seen DG. And we can stake our claim to playing a core part in what could evolve into a major city festival in the next few years.

I'm looking for friendly people that are interested in helping with clinics or working a booth to talk about the sport. Or just come out and play. And you can drink beer and listen to free music.

More info soon as its still in the planning stages.
jritger

Re: Beer+Music+Disc Golf @ Perkerson 3/27/10 -- Need Local DGers

Postby billnchristy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:14 pm

Hockey game that night but I am sure we could come out and throw a few holes.

Will bring some DX and lightning plastic to give to kiddies too if you want.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby jritger » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:21 pm

Will bring some DX and lightning plastic to give to kiddies too if you want.

yes that would be great!

also, i didn't stress it in the 1st post but this will be a very family friendly festival, so kids are definitely welcome
jritger

Postby djester » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:08 pm

you know I'm in....if I don't have to work :?
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby SlingShot » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:08 am

I just put in a request for the day off work. I plan on being there and I will bring my basket.
Andrew Jenkins
SlingShot
Pro Plastic

Postby jritger » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:58 pm

Update on this as when I first posted this whole thing was tentative ... permits have been approved and this festival is on. I'm not completely in the loop, but I do know that keg beer will be $3/pint and there will be live music and pies! Date is 3/27/2010 ... Saturday ... Hours are 12p-7pm.

We'll be setting up holes 9-17. 8's basket will be up as a putting area and we'll have a booth setup there. If anyone can bring a metal basket, cool.

I'm looking for volunteers to help me organize & run a couple of clinics during the day. This is very family friendly and not at all competitive ... i'm not running any action (if someone wanted to discreetly go for it).

It would be great to have a big turnout of disc golfers during this festival ... it could grow into a big event in the coming years and would be awesome if DG was a core part going forward.

More info to come as the date gets closer.
jritger

Postby VERMIN » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:51 pm

Excuse me - did someone say pies?
Speakin' the vernacular of the peasantry. Poor little kid, I hope she gets home all right....Professor Marvel

Vern Williams - ADGO #120 - PDGA #27359
VERMIN
Star Plastic

Postby billnchristy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:33 pm

Like I said, I am there.

Will be bringing 4 element S light weight, another 6-8 150 class elements and 5 lightweight (110-130g) lightning discs for the chillins to play with and take home if the want to. Some minis too.

I can man up the "how to shank" clinic. My wife will be there too so she can show the girls whats up.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby jritger » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:10 pm

jritger

Postby Funky Bobby J » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:30 pm

It would have been really cool to see ADGO on this flyer as a sponsor and passing out some ADGO plastic or selling it at a loss to get folks started.
Living in the United States where the hottest European import is Plutocracy...
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby jritger » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:39 pm

agreed, we need to revisit the policy of only sponsoring sanctioned events. sponsorship opportunities like that probably get more bang for the buck than tee sign sponsors @ tourneys as they advertise us to people who haven't heard of the ADGO.

granted, they did want $100 and the permit doesn't allow for disc sales (except those that have PP stamps)
jritger

Postby billnchristy » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:50 pm

I took my clinic logo off and replaced it with the flyer logo and printed off 15 copies of the guide I am going to give out at my women's clinic.

It has basics on disc selection, some throwing diagrams and several web links.

You don't have to use them but I figure we could put them at the booth.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby jritger » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:27 pm

BUMP

this is coming up on this Saturday. Course will be setup by 11am - 7pm. Disc Golf booth will be near #7 basket/#14 long tee/#8 long tee -- @ the double bridges.

Still looking for volunteers to help run the booth (=talk to people about disc golf) and with clinics. You don't need to be a pro to help with a clinic. I am thinking 2 really basic "what is disc golf" type clinics with putting, brief overview of throwing & then setting people out on the course -- say @ 2pm & 4pm. There isn't a great area for a throwing clinic anywhere near the course, so we can either keep it basic or walk up to the fields if people are interested in throwing.

We'll have a good setup across the creek from the action, very close to kegs/food/music, and right @ the start of the 9-hole course that will be setup. Weather is looking nice now (but not nearly as nice as the 74 & sunny for Wednesday :)

Bill - I know you'll be there ... the flyers sound awesome, please bring 'em.
jritger

Postby djester » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:46 pm

I'm in... I'll see if someone wants to run my action at Jp Moseley
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Re: Beer+Music+Disc Golf @ Perkerson 3/27/10 -- Need Local D

Postby Gator » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:38 pm

I have never been to Perkerson-can you please put some directions out?
Thanks alot for running the action.
Gutt
Gator
DX Plastic

Postby jritger » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:35 pm

jritger

Postby jritger » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:39 pm

Thanks to everyone that came out - and especially to Wade, Josh, Chris & Bill. I'd guess we had 20-30 disc golf folk out there and a lot of interested people from the neighborhood. This was a great little festival with good music & very cheap food/drink -- hopefully round 2 next year.
jritger

Postby billnchristy » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:31 pm

We had a blast, a good day out.

**Might want to put the ty on there before she sees that ;)**

Now who got the date with Miss Perkerson?, what a hottie!! :shock: :o :roll:
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Return to Q & A