Fly Pads

Questions & Answers

Moderator: ADGO BOD

Fly Pads

Postby Funky Bobby J » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:57 am

Has anyone played a course near by that has well-installed Fly pads? Can you let me know where and which course?
Living in the United States where the hottest European import is Plutocracy...
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Re: Fly Pads

Postby Corndawg13 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:04 am

what are "Fly Pads"??
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

Forsyth County Disc Golf Organization President
http://www.facebook.com/FCDGO
COME TO CP DUBS SUNDAYS AT 2!!!

If I don't respond to a post in due time, please message me on Facebook or call/text me, thanks!
Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Postby richardhead » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:06 am

Not nearby. I have played 2-3 courses in Florida that have these pads. It's been my experience that Fly 18 is designed to be installed on ball golf courses that have installed disc golf baskets. Not saying that is the only purpose, but the courses I've played that have a full 18 Fly 18 setup, have been ball golf courses. It's a little more attractive than pouring a concrete slab in the middle of a beautiful course.

What are your questions about them? I assume you are researching there durability and what not. Is that what Central is going to propose to solve there teepad problems?
Jay Phillips
<EAT MY SKAT>
richardhead
Star Plastic

Postby richardhead » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:07 am

Corndawg13 wrote:what are "Fly Pads"??

http://www.fly18.com/whatis.html

Alternative to natural or concrete tee areas.
Jay Phillips
<EAT MY SKAT>
richardhead
Star Plastic

Postby billnchristy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:06 pm

Vibram makes pads now too...don't know if they are available yet though.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby mrpbody33 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:41 pm

Same as Jay. Played a course in Florida with Fly Pads but it was a while ago. Plus they weren't on every tee. Overall they are much better option that natural or gravel pads. Still prefer a well poured concrete pad but they are little easier to move around in case you want to tweak the layout later.
Barry "Mr. P'body" Arnson
PDGA# 28128
ADGO# 133
http://discgolfatlanta.com/
mrpbody33

Postby jritger » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:11 pm

Kelly has pads that are similar to fly pads @ flyboy. They're a bit shorter, but he got them cheap -- like $20ish/each. I think they were salvaged from an old factory, no idea where he got 'em.
jritger

Postby Funky Bobby J » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:12 pm

I am just weighing options. My understanding is to be installed properly, they should be contained and anchored atop sand and gravel. I exchanged e-mails with the Fly pad guy, but he was only moderately helpful. I wanted to see for myself. CP has expressed that they might be willing to do some Fly pads, but they need to be installed properly so they are secure and do not erode over time.

However, the park has also said that pads (concrete or o/w) that cause extra trimming or maintenance will not be permitted (thus if the extend above the surface of the ground). I am getting all of this second or third hand and am talking to Dave Kenney now to see about setting up a formal meeting with FCP&R.

Thus, I was hoping there might be a course that had anchored/properly-installed Fly pads that I could go see and play on. I do not want to get more and just throw them on the ground to be eaten up by lawn mower blades and covered with dirt and such. I nosed around the PDGA site briefly and talked to a few folks, but first-hand knowledge goes along way.

So, anyone ever played a course SC, NC, TN, AL, that has pads installed as described above, not just tossed on the ground????
Living in the United States where the hottest European import is Plutocracy...
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby mrpbody33 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:09 pm

This is probably a better question asked on other forum such as PDGA.com or DGCourseReview.com. Looks like David McCormack of Gateway has experimented with some long turf pads that might be more pleasing to the eye than rubber mats.
Barry "Mr. P'body" Arnson
PDGA# 28128
ADGO# 133
http://discgolfatlanta.com/
mrpbody33

Postby Corndawg13 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:49 pm

Both have been recently installed around the FOCO high school football fields. Maybe we should contact someone in that area to see if they have extra or an avenue for us to research. The tracks around the fields in FOCO are the recycled rubber material. I do not understand the FOCO P & R. How hard would it be to cut around the pads, then get out with a weed-wacker and finish the job. Sounds lazy and like another excuse to spit at disc golf at central park.

Maybe a petition and reccomendation from Phil Arthur will excite them, I mean hell, the walking path and bike trail do not bring in revenue but they would rather keep those up to date then help out DG. If the FCDGC club was stronger and more organized we could run tounrnies and possibly pay them back a portion for the pads.
Last edited by Corndawg13 on Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

Forsyth County Disc Golf Organization President
http://www.facebook.com/FCDGO
COME TO CP DUBS SUNDAYS AT 2!!!

If I don't respond to a post in due time, please message me on Facebook or call/text me, thanks!
Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Postby nixonrocks » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:07 pm

The long turf thing is cool.
Brett "Maverick" Nix

PDGA# 41831

Maverick@Mobyinthemorning.com
nixonrocks
DX Plastic

Return to Q & A