New "C" Pin Locations!

Gwinnett County - Lawrenceville, Ga

Moderator: ADGO BOD

New "C" Pin Locations!

Postby Renoryn » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:38 am

As Doug and I finished with the couse design, we realized a few missed opportunities as far as alternate pin positions. More basket sleeves would be fairly cheap and easy to add (GDGO?), and in the woods I dont think the 2x2 concrete collar is needed.

This is basically, "Damn, why didn't we put a sleeve there?!!" Here are my suggestions:

- #5, Back and right, about 20-30' past the longest position. This would make a more technical and harder throw be good for the birdie, right now its pretty easy if you hit the first gap. There is a nice empty space back there, minimal clearing.
- #12, Back and left, about 25' past the longest position. There is an obvious and very nice line leading to this spot. Minimal clearing of briars and small privet.
- #18, Short and RIght, for a solid par 3 option. The B position is kinda lame.

The more (good) pin options the better. We could get county permission and knock this out on a Saturday easily. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Ryan
Renoryn
Barney

Re: New "C" Pin Locations!

Postby Matt_ » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:10 am

I would like to see this happen, I would be willing to help if needed.

Some more ideas:
#8 20-40 feet right of the current position making for a much sharper curve.
#10 Deeper and right of the short central position; for this we would just need to cut a small hole in the the woods.
#13 50+ feet right of the long position. It really doesn't have to be cut that deep into the woods, 20 feet would even be cool, but it would be nice to add some extra footage with all the space available there.

#4 Could have a super short placement just outside of the tree line but 30+ feet to the left.
Matt_
Barney

Postby gvan » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:11 am

The GDGO has talked about this, including some of the above locations. We are meeting with the park this week to talk about some landscaping issues and will bring this up as well.
uǝʞuɐɹʌ uɐʌ ʇıɹɹǝƃ
gvan

Postby billnchristy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:56 pm

How about a 17 right behind the pond...I bet people would miss the pond more if you put it in play. :lol:

I would think 13 would have some opportunities too.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby TokioJason » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:19 pm

Im sure more ppl would miss the lake if u put the basket to the left more knowing the can't make that far of a shot hopefully more would lay up for a drop in 3.
TokioJason
Pro Plastic

Postby Al 7.0 Olds » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:10 pm

Hole 5's tee pad sucks now with that damn 8x8 block of wood there.It needs to be moved back up the hill about 3 feet and angle the ends.Mud can still slide around the front.It is in the way! I hope that it gets changed! :x
Al Hause 39407
Al 7.0 Olds
DX Plastic

Postby gvan » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:37 pm

Al 7.0 Olds wrote:Hole 5's tee pad sucks now with that damn 8x8 block of wood there.It needs to be moved back up the hill about 3 feet and angle the ends.Mud can still slide around the front.It is in the way! I hope that it gets changed! :x

I'm going to ask them to change this. It's not very safe where it is. Left-handed players hate it more.
uǝʞuɐɹʌ uɐʌ ʇıɹɹǝƃ
gvan

Postby Al 7.0 Olds » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:52 pm

GV U R DA MAN! :D
Al Hause 39407
Al 7.0 Olds
DX Plastic

Postby Mort » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:41 pm

What about all the limbs and brush laying around between #3 and between #4 and #5 fairways. Is it the parks
responsibility to clean it up? not what they cut last week. i tried to clean some of the vines and briars on #8 near the
pin to the left.

Mort

Mort
Barney

Postby JR » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:13 am

Renoryn wrote:As Doug and I finished with the couse design, we realized a few missed opportunities as far as alternate pin positions. More basket sleeves would be fairly cheap and easy to add (GDGO?), and in the woods I dont think the 2x2 concrete collar is needed.

This is basically, "Damn, why didn't we put a sleeve there?!!" Here are my suggestions:

- #5, Back and right, about 20-30' past the longest position. This would make a more technical and harder throw be good for the birdie, right now its pretty easy if you hit the first gap. There is a nice empty space back there, minimal clearing.
- #12, Back and left, about 25' past the longest position. There is an obvious and very nice line leading to this spot. Minimal clearing of briars and small privet.
- #18, Short and RIght, for a solid par 3 option. The B position is kinda lame.

The more (good) pin options the better. We could get county permission and knock this out on a Saturday easily. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Ryan

Ryan,

Great idea!

Any thought to adding tee pads?
JR
Team Alexander
Team Lenora

http://www.discgolfscene.com
JR
DX Plastic

Postby Corndawg13 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:57 am

First of all the Alex is great and TEAM ALEX is phenominal, but........

Have you guys considered some "pro" tee pads out there? I think elongating some holes would be the most beneficial thing. Moving baskets is always fun, but why not plant some trees as obstacles, put baskets on slopes or things of that nature. The Alex will BE AWESOME in a few years, but maybe a few things to make it tougher now are the best solution. I live 40 minutes away but as always, like I am at CP, I am able to help pretty much whenever.
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

Forsyth County Disc Golf Organization President
http://www.facebook.com/FCDGO
COME TO CP DUBS SUNDAYS AT 2!!!

If I don't respond to a post in due time, please message me on Facebook or call/text me, thanks!
Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Postby Lofstrand » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:33 am

I think it would be cool to see an elevated basket on either hole 2,16 or 18. Those holes are so strait forward they could use something to make you pucker up.
PDGA#29514
Lofstrand
Pro Plastic

Postby Renoryn » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:38 am

The trouble with adding tee pads is mainly cost and logistics. If we are adding a few basket sleeves, thats a couple hundred dollars, 10 guys with saws and shovels, and a days work. Adding tee pads is hundreds, maybe into thousands of dollars, heavy clearing, cement trucks, and skilled concrete guys. You have to get permission for Parks to add either, but permission for sleeves would be way easier. Also, there might be room on a handful of holes for longer tees, but it would't work on about half of them. (without throwing over paths)

Dont get me wrong, from the beginning I wanted a 3rd set of tees, but we simply didn't have the room. I say we try to improve on what we have in whatever ways are feasible. I think adding trees/shrubs is a good option, just need to figure out funding, locations, installation...

Thoughs? I say once we get a plan of action, we schedule a workday in the spring. Add sleeves, plant some trees/shrubs, make this a better course. Awesome.

Ryan
Renoryn
Barney

Postby Corndawg13 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:52 am

Oh yeah I know how expensive it is for all of this. I am in progress with Dawson County P & R to put a course up there.

Anyway, forget the Spring, have a fundraiser tourney, let people at the event vote on locations for longer pins, do something like "if you park it, you mark it" and put trees/shrubs there. Have a Long Drive competition and let people bet on participants to help raise money. Give vouchers to the winner and something to 2nd and 3rd. We are thinking about putting in sand traps possibly here at CP, you guys could do that. Endless options to make a good course great.

I am only 40 minutes out and can help whenever! Just let me know. You guys are awesome and I wish CP have more of an active group then a few active players.
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

If I don't respond to a post in due time, please message me on Facebook or call/text me, thanks!
Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Postby $Dollar$ » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:04 pm

The best idea I've seen on this thread is the elevated basket. While a couple more pins placements would be good, I would hate to see it get out of control like at Redan. People adding pins wherever they consistantly shank it to. No offense, but the "you park it, you mark it" idea is terrible at best. I'm all for course improvements and as I consider this my home course I am always willing to put in a few man hours.

But as Lofstrand said, an elevated basket or two on the straightfowad holes would definitely add an element of dificulty as well as something cool to look at (if done well)
BAAAAKAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
$Dollar$
Champion Plastic

Postby Corndawg13 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:27 pm

Not actually marking it physically, like mark it on the card. Meant more so to establish the holes lacking a consistent degree of difficulty. Obvioulsy 1, 2, 16 could use some attention to make them not so easy. Guard a few basket with some trees and it takes away a par for some. Even put trees out in the fairway in front of the tees to alter shots.

But hey whatever, I agree an elevated basket or two is a great idea. I played a course in Birmingham, AL that had one.
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Postby billnchristy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:34 pm

A bush bunker around one of the open holes would be nice, as would the elevated basket idea...maybe on 9?
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby JR » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:35 pm

I can appreciate the expense and difficulties of adding the concrete pads especially as the other ideas put forth sound less expensive and more feasible.

Please add my name to the work list.
JR
Team Alexander
Team Lenora

JR
DX Plastic

Postby billnchristy » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:28 pm

Oh yeah we are in too.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby Corndawg13 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:27 am

Whohoo lets do work! Add me.
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Postby Derek Wonderly » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:12 pm

Sounds great....add me into the mix. Maybe give me a chance against you BIG ARM FREEEEAKS! :lol: :wink:
Disc Diver "Team Alexander"
Disc diving is an obsession....and returning them is just good Karma

Derek Wonderly
Barney

Postby Lofstrand » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:13 pm

If the elevated basket sounds like an idea that Team Alexander would want to look into, check out what they did in Savannah. About 3 dozen railroad ties and a crap load of dirt. The size of the "pyramid" allows for a safer climb to the top and decreases the chances that a missed putt will land and not roll away. They had grass planted up top too; it just hasn't sprouted yet.
or something less extreme
PDGA#29514
Lofstrand
Pro Plastic

Postby Vicki » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:56 am

We had a very successful meeting with the Gwinnett County yesterday, and I'm happy to report we have permission for new pin placements at both parks. With the County supplying augers and the GDGO supplying the sleeves and cement we will have County/GDGO Volunteer Work Days this spring. Thanks for your pin placement suggestions, and please keep them coming for both parks.

* One elevated basket per park is feasible, with the County providing machinery (if needed) and the GDGO providing the supplies. Let's take our time designing these, so they will be a pleasure to the eye and a challenge to the arm.
Last edited by Vicki on Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vicki
DX Plastic

Postby richardhead » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:15 pm

Not sure about "c" placements, but I played Alexander on Sunday and I liked the layout. Some of the pins were different from where I had seen them in the past. I almost skip aced #14 in the shorter position. Nailed chains and slipped through. Shot a -8 and felt pretty happy about it.
Jay Phillips
<EAT MY SKAT>
richardhead
Star Plastic

Postby Renoryn » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:37 pm

Wow, I started this thread 8 days ago and there has already been a meeting. That's pretty awesome guys. Hats off to GDGO!

I vote for an elevated pin on #2 or #10. 2 will be harder once the Holly trees get big, but it would just look cool sitting down there. #10 probably needs it the most...

GDGO- Are any new trees or shrubs in the budget for the work day?
Renoryn
Barney

Postby Al 7.0 Olds » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:00 am

Don't go screwing around with hole 10!
Al Hause 39407
Al 7.0 Olds
DX Plastic

Postby TokioJason » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:23 am

I agree. Hole 10 is fine the way it is. If anything 1 and 2 need it the most.
TokioJason
Pro Plastic

Postby Vicki » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:57 am

Thanks Ryan! I've posted a full update of items discussed (include trees/shrubs) on the GDGO thread: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2429
Vicki
DX Plastic

Postby Can't Hit Open Putts » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:41 am

My choices for an elevated pin would be 2, 4,or 18. #2 is the best candidate as I could envision the basket being in view over the top of the shrubs that are planted in front after they grow out. Plus the difference between the #2's 2 existing placements are very similar.
"Fearlessly the Idiot faced the crowd, Smiling"
Can't Hit Open Putts
Champion Plastic

Postby gvan » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:10 am

If we build it pretty, 18 would be the best for an elevated basket, IMO. It's very visible to non-golfers making a point of interest/curiosity. It would also make for a fun last shot of the round.

It would be good on 2 to make that hole more interesting. #4 would also be good and visible to non-golfers, but I'll cast my vote toward #18 (typo corrected)

...and #7 at Lenora.
uǝʞuɐɹʌ uɐʌ ʇıɹɹǝƃ
gvan

Postby Can't Hit Open Putts » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:13 am

gvan wrote:
...and #7 at Lenora.

YES!!
Can't Hit Open Putts
Champion Plastic

Postby Can't Hit Open Putts » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:15 am

gvan wrote: I'll cast my vote toward #18

WHY NOT? corrected for corrected typo :lol:
Last edited by Can't Hit Open Putts on Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Can't Hit Open Putts
Champion Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:24 am

I think he left the 1 out and means 18 as that was what in his comment for best position.
Father of Future World Champion Lorelei Johnson #13697
keith johnson

Postby gvan » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:28 am

Yep. Corrected above.
uǝʞuɐɹʌ uɐʌ ʇıɹɹǝƃ
gvan

Postby Renoryn » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:25 pm

Yea, sorry #10 is fine the way it is. I meant #9. It could look cool from the tee just sticking up on the horizon. I think 18 would be cool too, long position.

Ryan
Renoryn
Barney

Postby richardhead » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:33 pm

It's my opinion that elevated baskets are OK as long as they are done right. I've played several courses that had these types of baskets and some of them were so poorly installed it made the round un-enjoyable. If any of you have played Hornets Nest in Charlotte, the 2 tweener holes that they added in with elevated baskets are absolute crap. Along with #17 on that same course. If you take the time and effort to build something nice, like at Winthrop for the USDGC or the new pin on 4 in Savannah, I think it's worth it and adds value to the layout.

Just an opinion from someone that has played his fair share of elevated baskets.
Jay Phillips
<EAT MY SKAT>
richardhead
Star Plastic

Postby gvan » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:47 pm

richardhead wrote:It's my opinion that elevated baskets are OK as long as they are done right.

Agreed. I've not been impressed with a couple of them that I've played, but the one in the twisted tree at Flyboy is pretty cool. The GDGO has some cash and can raise funds for proper landscaping stones, etc.

We will put a premium on aesthetics and playability. I would vote no to landscape timbers, but yes to landscape stones (Lofstrand pictures 2 and 3 in the other thread look pretty good to me).
uǝʞuɐɹʌ uɐʌ ʇıɹɹǝƃ
gvan

Postby Funky Bobby J » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:50 pm

1 is a weak hole that is out in the open. I'd say it would be the best candidate. An interesting way to start and might bring even more attention to the course being so visible.
Living in the United States where the hottest European import is Plutocracy...
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby billnchristy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:09 pm

The GDGO has some cash and can raise funds for proper landscaping stones, etc.

Sounds like a reason to have a tourney right there...
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby Corndawg13 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:29 pm

WHOOOHOOO!!!
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Postby Big Red » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:27 am

I have played several courses with elevated baskets as well and I have never liked it. To me it is one of the most unprofessional seeming and most over all circus feeling new trends in the game. I think it's only comparable to something you would see on a putt putt course. I agree with Jay that they are the absolute worst in Charlotte and the best looking at least at the USDGC but even Climo has made comments indicating his dislike for them in a politically correct way. Hopefully the PDGA will standardize basket heights one day but I doubt it. For the time and effort it will probably take to build an elevated basket done "right" you could probably add a few longer tee pads which would overall make the course a lot better in my opinion.
I've got more game than a busted Atari.
Big Red
Champion Plastic

Postby billnchristy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:32 am

An idea for #1, instead of an elevated basket, why not accentuate the natural terrain by building a small hill around 3/4 of the face of the basket to increase the chance for rollaways and also accent the steep dropoff on the other side? It would make parking a shot that much harder to do and that much riskier.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby jonp » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:19 pm

Be innovative and move us towards the professionalism of ball golf - All new targets should be holes in the ground! Dig a hole 3 feet deep, put a grate 2 feet down so discs don't land in the muck, stick in a bicycle flag to mark the spot, and BAM! new pin position.

+ inexpensive
+ no more cut-throughs or spit-outs!
+ roller aces! roller putts!
+ all positions in play all the time!
+ easy to mow around, no damaged collars
+ resistant to vandalism
+ easy to experiment and move positions around
+ no complaints about unsightly targets by non-players

- no sound of crashing chains
- small dogs and d-wiz may fall in, never to be seen again
Hur man än vänder sig är alltid ändan bak
jonp
Site Admin

Postby Big Red » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:24 pm

Sadly this has also basically been done as well at the hippodrome and at trophy lakes. You didn't know about that did you?
Big Red
Champion Plastic

Postby nick brost » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:54 pm

Pin postions id like to see

#5 roughly 40 to 50 feet longer with a small left turn about 15 feet short of the path to bring ob more into play

#12 20 to 30 feet longer to the left

#13 20 to 30 feet up to the right with just a small clearing to make it harder

#18 300+ feet right turn with maybe a few more trees to make it more technical

Elevated baskets on 1 and 2 sound like awsome ideas too

Alex is my home course so i am more than willing to put some man hours in for it
nick brost
Barney

Postby jonp » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:13 pm

Big Red wrote:Sadly this has also basically been done as well at the hippodrome and at trophy lakes. You didn't know about that did you?

Not the same - you dismiss my out-of-box thinking out-of-hand.

Where would ball golf be if they'd kept the original goal - chipping a walnut up into a hollowed out stump!
jonp
Site Admin

Postby Carl Wms » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:31 am

Exactly! That is why football players should have cricket bats I say.
Carl Wms
Champion Plastic

Postby billnchristy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:04 am

Single shot derringers would be interesting.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby jonp » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:37 am

Carl Wms wrote:Exactly! That is why football players should have cricket bats I say.

that's called hurling

jonp
Site Admin

Postby Matt_ » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:02 pm

I think hole #1 would make a great artificial island hole. Since they have to mow the grass I'm not sure of the best way to have it marked off, maybe have a few bushes planted on each side of the hole that form a square of inbounds area; then in tourney's they could string some rope around the bushes to make it more obvious. The hole could be played where there are no penalties for throwing OB you just retee throwing 2, then 3 etc. That would turn one of the most plain holes into one of the best !
Matt_
Barney

Postby billnchristy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:49 pm

Just a ring of bushes with a small entry and exit would be cool.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby waruss » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:05 pm

Is there a drop zone for shots in the pond on 17 ?
waruss
Barney

Postby JR » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:44 am

waruss wrote:Is there a drop zone for shots in the pond on 17 ?

The pond is out of bounds so you would apply the out of bounds rules.

Drop zones are generally used for missed mandos.

Hope this helps.
JR
Team Alexander
Team Lenora

JR
DX Plastic

Postby Wookie » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:32 am

JR wrote:
waruss wrote:Is there a drop zone for shots in the pond on 17 ?

The pond is out of bounds so you would apply the out of bounds rules.

Drop zones are generally used for missed mandos.

Hope this helps.

But can't you also use a drop zone if you are throwing over water, even though it is OB, you can make the players use the drop zone if they can't clear the water.
Use the "force" only for good, never for evil

PDGA 24474
ADGO 127
Wookie
Champion Plastic

Postby billnchristy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:45 am

If you wanna do that I would say use the red tee.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby Big Red » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:02 am

jonp wrote:
Big Red wrote:Sadly this has also basically been done as well at the hippodrome and at trophy lakes. You didn't know about that did you?

Where would ball golf be if they'd kept the original goal - chipping a walnut up into a hollowed out stump!

That would at least make more sense than a miniature golf obstacle modified for use in disc golf. Oh, and it is the same, have you even seen them or are you dismissing the reality of the buried baskets out of hand?
Big Red
Champion Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:19 am

Fly boy Aviation has one with pole and chain holder still above ground.
Father of Future World Champion Lorelei Johnson #13697
keith johnson

Postby jonp » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:39 am

Big Red wrote:
jonp wrote:

That would at least make more sense than a miniature golf obstacle modified for use in disc golf. Oh, and it is the same, have you even seen them or are you dismissing the reality of the buried baskets out of hand?

Not sunken baskets - holes in the ground, maybe even smaller diameter than a basket. With a nice manicured putting circle for roller putts, maybe some low-hanging branches on a few holes to encourage rolling it in.

Does limit the terrain though. Hard to beat a pole hole if you want a target on a woody, rocky hillside. It'd also be tough to make a portable hole-in-the-ground for temp courses.
jonp
Site Admin

Postby Soupdogg22 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:36 pm

How about moving the tee pad on #5 back and left up the hill a bit and make it a par 4?! :mrgreen:
Soupdogg22
Barney

Postby Pro-Am » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:30 pm

#17 - 20' behind pond on right side. clear out some trees for the risk takers but leave a few farthest to the right. this would allow for aces, birdies, dolphins and lay-ups (fairway to the right.) this would also provide a legitimate reason for losing a disc in the water because right now there isn't one.

By clearing out the front side of the pond it has added a bit of difficulty some.

This is one of my favorite water holes
18th Sign
From 18th Tee
Pro-Am
Barney

Return to Alexander Park