Ice Bowl?

Stephens County - Toccoa, Ga

Moderators: Randgolf, ADGO BOD

Ice Bowl?

Postby luke » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:55 am

wish I'd known your Ice Bowl was the same weekend as my doubles tournament when I planned it. I've been bustin' arse at the Monty to get it ready for what I was hoping would be record attendance, and I tried to make sure there were no Atlanta-area conflicts when we planned this in December. Though Rose Lane and the Monty are a pretty good piece from each other, I draw people mainly from Atlanta, and our course record is only 15 teams. Please don't consider this a scolding; that's not my place(or really anyone elses). However, I can't help but really wish you would've had your Ice Bowl on another date! Yes, we're not PDGA, and I assume that's why you picked the 30th. That's understandable. At this point, I don't think I'll be rescheduling, but if I can find another date, I definitely will.

Please try to post earlier, or at least let someone know next time.
luke
Star Plastic

Re: Ice Bowl?

Postby richardhead » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:30 am

Your rant will go unnoticed by the person you are trying to reach. The guy that runs the Ice bowl doesn't look at this site, which is why Hugh posted the info. If you want to give a proper lashing you should visit http://toccoadiscgolf.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Just sayin!!
Jay Phillips
<EAT MY SKAT>
richardhead
Star Plastic

Postby luke » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:13 pm

that's not a rant. Read it again. Thanks for the info.
luke
Star Plastic

Postby richardhead » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:10 pm

luke wrote:that's not a rant. Read it again. Thanks for the info.

No disrespect meant, I just wanted to send you in the right direction. Instead of rant I should've said complaint.
Jay Phillips
<EAT MY SKAT>
richardhead
Star Plastic

Postby grease » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:56 pm

Luke doesn't complain or rant. He just loosens up his hug around
the tree.
Fart, it's never not funny!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby luke » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:32 pm

You didn't offend, Jay. Didn't mean to sound haughty. I did as you said and went to the Toccoa board. It's prettier than this board, don't you think?
luke
Star Plastic

Postby richardhead » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:53 am

Not many knuckleheads in that neck of the woods.
Jay Phillips
<EAT MY SKAT>
richardhead
Star Plastic

Postby htorbit » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:07 pm

Luke,
I am not sure if I know you but I do admire your efforts in promoting disc golf. I understand that you want your event to have good attendance but why isolate Toccoa's ice bowl when the IDGC is having an ice bowl on Jan 30th too. Especially when the IDGC ice bowl is closer to your course than Toccoa. The Toccoa ice bowl has been held the last Saturday in January for quite a few years so it could be considered a traditional date. It is too bad that your event and the Toccoa ice bowl are the same day but I doubt you will lose many players if any because from my observations over the last couple years, Atlanta disc golfers don't attend as many Toccoa events as they once did. I did not mean to cause any problems when I asked that the Toccoa ice bowl be posted on the ATL disc golf webpage, I just wanted disc golfers to be aware of all their options on where to play. I have heard good things about your events and hope that your event on Jan. 30th is your best yet.
Hugh Torbit
htorbit
DX Plastic

Postby luke » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:14 pm

Thanks for the props, Hugh. I can say many great things about Toccoa as well.

Really though, the IDGC isn't as close as Toccoa. Even if it were, the IDGC isn't close to Atl, and Toccoa is, and that's my contention. I have no problems with people posting tournaments, I just would've like to have seen it when I posted my own. I'm glad it's been running for seven years, but who would've known this? Tradition obviously hasn't carried it to be a "household" name, say, like HOTLANTA. So I didn't plan an event when there already was one, I planned an event where there was a blank on the calendar. Hopefully you understand that what I'm asking for here is knowledge.
Now, I have had a friend tell me that not as many ATL players go to this event as they used to, so it probably isn't much of a conflict, so my worries might have been wasted.

AGAIN, no complaints about a tournament on the 30. Please let the state know EARLIER so the rest of us don't inadvertantly sp? step on your toes. I really like Rose Lane and might have attended this one, were it another date.

I think you very much did the right thing by posting it on the ATL board.
luke
Star Plastic

Postby htorbit » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:08 pm

Chris Senador is the TD for the Toccoa ice bowl. I am just a disc golfer that lives in Hayesville, NC and plays a lot of disc golf in Atlanta(2 hrs away) and Toccoa(1hr 15 min away). I support Toccoa because it is close to where I live and John Nisewonder, Chris Senador and now Jay Phillips run tournaments there. I was on the ATL disc golf website and saw that the Toccoa ice bowl was not mentioned so that is why I asked to have it posted. Before I stated that the IDGC was closer to Monticello than Toccoa, I looked it up on Google maps. It told me that Monticello was aprox. 93 miles from Appling(IDGC ice bowl) and Toccoa was aprox. 120 miles from Monticello. When I started playing disc golf in Toccoa about 6 years ago, all the tournaments sold out and the ice bowl attracted normally around 100 players. Those kinda numbers aren't happening anymore and I know more tournament options is one of the reasons. And don't get me wrong, I am all for more tournament options since that most all the tournaments that I play in, I travel to. Hopefully disc golf will continue to grow so all tournaments will fill up. I would imagine that the Toccoa disc golfers don't frequent the ATL webpage that often so that is a major reason for the lack of information.
htorbit
DX Plastic

Postby luke » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:05 am

Well, who can question Google Maps? Perhaps the sense of closeness comes from knowing golfers in the area. The Augusta crowd is a fairly self-proclaimed stay at home kinda crowd. And my sense of distance is screwed, according to my wife.
luke
Star Plastic

Postby D-Wiz » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:46 pm

Not trying to be picky or anything, but does anybody know what time this thing starts?
promoting D-GOLF since 2007
D-Wiz
Pro Plastic

Postby richardhead » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:04 pm

There's a flyer in the Toccoa Disc Golf main page. I don't have it front of me or I would answer your question. It's supposed to be a Hi of 36 on Saturday with a chance of snow.
Jay Phillips
<EAT MY SKAT>
richardhead
Star Plastic

Postby D-Wiz » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:13 pm

Found it and printed the Pro-Am as well. Hugh also sent me the flyer. Are the two of you trying to help me out just so I will play advanced or are you playing open? I'll just have to see how the field develops, but I'm not scared of either of you, unless you start talking about making a d-wiz sandwich with big buns :shock: If that's the case, you both will have to go meatless :twisted:
D-Wiz
Pro Plastic

Postby richardhead » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:41 pm

Aren't there rules about midgets playing in the snow. Should we tie a ribbon to your hair? In case you fall through the snow we'll need something to pull you out. It looks like we may have a real Ice Bowl this year.
Jay Phillips
<EAT MY SKAT>
richardhead
Star Plastic

Postby D-Wiz » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:40 pm

I'm a better snowboarder than disc golfer, so I should be alright with the conditions. If I need ribbons, I'll talk to your daughter or wife :shock: You just bring your appetite for some of daddy's chili...
D-Wiz
Pro Plastic

Return to Rose Lane Park