Lots of players.......players need a club

Forsyth County - Cumming, Ga

Moderators: WC, ADGO BOD

Lots of players.......players need a club

Postby Corndawg13 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:28 pm

I play CP several times a week and have noticed a good deal more players coming out lately. Tuesday was packed. I have always wondered why there are few to no tourneys outside of the Super Six Played at CP. With all the people coming out to play, several tourneys throughout the year as fundraisers to raise money for concrete tee pads would be easy. Dubs is good but why not tourneys? I have never dealt with the Parks and Rec so I am sure there are issues I am not aware of but having numbers pour into the club and actually making the club active would help a lot of things. It would even help my persuit for disc golf in Dawson COUNTY and future courses in Forsyth COUNTY. How hard would an Ice Bowl, or fundraiser tourney be?? Even an Ace Race? Let's get this going and run with it!
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

Forsyth County Disc Golf Organization President
http://www.facebook.com/FCDGO
COME TO CP DUBS SUNDAYS AT 2!!!

If I don't respond to a post in due time, please message me on Facebook or call/text me, thanks!
Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Re: Lots of players.......players need a club

Postby downtownXXking » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:50 am

There is a club, the FCDGC. Um, the Atlanta Open is at Central. and the FOCO, which is a three day A-tier event this year. Weekly Sunday Dubs, and the unofficial Thursday night Whites. I would say there arent anymore sanctioned tournaments at CP than two HUGE, AWESOME events is because there are some wicked sick tournaments almost every month a day's drive from CP. so there's no need for more than two...
Show|Dough disc golf design

design for disc golfers by a disc golfer

email me at showdough@gmail.com for your design needs.
downtownXXking
DX Plastic

Postby Corndawg13 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:11 pm

I know there is a club but it is not active. The club really does not do anything. I talk to Dave Kinney every now and then and the club is dormant. Dave and Keith AND OTHERS work on the course some, the Parks and Rec maintains it. If there were an ACTIVE FCDGC then tee pads, trees on the course, alternate basket anchors, upkeep, workdays, and future disc golf in FOCO would be a lot easier. I know there are dubs, and the two tourneys but that does not mean there cannot be things like local fundraiser tourneys, ice bowls, ace race, and local points leagues. You are the one who wanted the club to be active last year, why would everyone not want it to be active this year?? Presenting things to the County about disc golf would be a whole heck of a lot easier and more sound if there were an active club with active members who did stuff for disc golf in the county and raised money. I'm just saying, why not have an active club?? We lost a 10k grant for disc golf from Leadership Forstyh and I would bet one of the main factors would be a lack of an active club to them.
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

If I don't respond to a post in due time, please message me on Facebook or call/text me, thanks!
Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Postby Corndawg13 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:41 pm

There are 41 sanctioned or non-sanctioned events listed on this board and TWO of them are at Central Park?? Two, the same course that hosted a NT event last year has TWO.
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Postby gvan » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:55 pm

Corndawg13 wrote:There are 41 sanctioned or non-sanctioned events listed on this board and TWO of them are at Central Park?? Two, the same course that hosted a NT event last year has TWO.

1 in 20 events at Central and it's 1 of 20 courses listed on the course page. I thought there should be a sanctioned event at my home course, so I ran one. Easy solution.
uǝʞuɐɹʌ uɐʌ ʇıɹɹǝƃ
gvan

Postby downtownXXking » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:24 pm

20+ courses are part of the ADGO board... 40ish/20ish = 2ish per course. just sayin'... two big tournies at one park sounds fine to me. but hey, you want another tournie, why don't you organize it. gvan did it. and it was pretty sick.
Show|Dough disc golf design

design for disc golfers by a disc golfer

email me at showdough@gmail.com for your design needs.
downtownXXking
DX Plastic

Postby Corndawg13 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:14 pm

My main focus was to make the FCDGC ACTIVE for once, but I am sure I could handle a tourney to showcase CP again. I have some awesome ideas for holes like 11 Red tee to 12A basket, par 4. BUT, an active club would be better.
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Postby TokioJason » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:22 am

Central wasn't the only course the played for the NT. East roswell only has 2 tourny's a year unless the do some fundraiser. AO and lost in the woods. i could be mistaken
TokioJason
Pro Plastic

Postby Corndawg13 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:48 am

You are right Jason. I just think an active club would be a great thing for FOCO seeing how there are more proposed courses coming here and a lot of parks opening up that could have courses. Here is what has started me thinking about this. I am leaving in a few hours to go to Alabama and play some disc golf this week in both Birmingham and Huntsville. Birmingham has several courses and the Birmingham Disc Golf Club and Huntsville has 5 courses within 15 miles of each other and they have the Rocket City Chain Gang. They are very active disc golf communities and I think FOCO and the FCDGC could be as well. I know we obviously have the ADGO and it is AWESOME but it is so spread out that when it comes to things like course additions, changes, upgrades and new courses the local parks and rec wants to see interest and it is not really there because everyone is so spread out and from what I always hear it is only a few people presenting things about DG. I guess I will just go the local route with locals at Central. The ADGO is great but certain areas could be MORE if a more localized effort was put forth.
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Postby edj42 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:11 pm

seems to me that you are going to be the next president of the FCDC. Take your ideas and run with them. It sounds like a good idea to figure out how to set up tournaments for those that do not want to do the other ADGO events.
"When a ball dreams, it dreams it is a frisbee."
edj42
DX Plastic

Postby Corndawg13 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:48 pm

Sounds good to me, I'll talk to Dave Kinney and a dew other locals to CP and see what happens.
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Postby maximus » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:46 pm

Sounds like you are ready to be involved in DG more than just playing and that is great. You should understand that the ADGO is set up to be an umbrella to HELP out the local clubs and provide a centralized organization for all of Atlanta Disc Golf, so lets not confuse the priorities of each group.

If there is anything that the ADGO can do to HELP the FCDGC, then they just have to request it, and you are more than welcome as a member of the ADGO, if you are a member, to read our constitution and meeting minutes (posted here on the site) to see what we are doing and how we may be able to help the localized clubs.

Good luck with everything!
Chris Quarles 34486

IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW FAR IT MIGHT GO PAST THE BASKET, IF IT GOES IN.
maximus

Postby Corndawg13 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:49 pm

Okay, thanks.
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Postby Big Red » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:12 am

Bobby you are trying to insert logic into an logic defunct climate. The answers you are getting over and over represent the only answer you will ever get: "do it yourself or don't say anything." Until this attitude changes disc golf will never change and because of this attitude it is not worth it to do it yourself. Now you understand why disc golf isn't anymore than it is.
I've got more game than a busted Atari.
Big Red
Champion Plastic

Postby maximus » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:39 am

There is a LONG list of reasons why I disagree with your last post Aaron, but one thing I will agree with is that LOTS of Disc Golfers do have the attitude you are explaining, whether it is also yours or not, and definitely does hold back the sport or game (whichever you choose to call it) of disc golf as a whole.

Keep the ambition and just find those willing to help you Bobby! You will find that you're only gonna get help from about 5% of those you ask and most will not be the ones that reap many benefits from the work other than they are happy to help so they can enjoy the game more.
Chris Quarles 34486

IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW FAR IT MIGHT GO PAST THE BASKET, IF IT GOES IN.
maximus

Postby Big Red » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:44 pm

If you are referring to the "do it yourself or don't say anything" attitude I do not subscribe to that out look at all. I am not sure what you meant by "whether it is also yours or not?" I would like to hear your opinions on the matter Chris either here or by PM if you feel like it.
I've got more game than a busted Atari.
Big Red
Champion Plastic

Postby Dale H » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:49 pm

IMO, things are not entirely broken with the club -- we just need a bit of planning and structure...

We have lots of folk who help out a Central Park. My observation on what is lacking is an overall improvement plan for the course. My assumption is that the course layout is generally good and offers lots of flexibility with multiple tee placements, basket positions, and alternative layouts (e.g., supersized, safari, etc.). We seem to be able to manage preparation for events very well thanks to the core group of locals who turn out to support the events: Dave, Terry, Nathan, Cody, Funky Bobby, John, Breakfast Club, et al. We've trimmed trees, cleared fairways, built bridges, improved tee pads, moved baskets, as required to support events or provide general improvement

The things that need to be addressed are improvements to existing course layout to improve playability in all conditions for all levels of disc golfers. Tee pads are a good example. Eventually, I would like to see concrete tee pads at all tees. The "club" should determine things like composition (rubber vs. concrete vs. other). You can't really determine this without knowing the costs, and knowing what if any costs Forsyth Parks and Rec could or would fund, versus funding by the club, etc. I would also like to see some general landscape improvements: shrubs, trees, azaleas and the like....

Lastly, we need a bit of structure for the club to get some things un-stuck. I might suggest regular club meetings, formal club charter and organization, regular liaison with Parks and Rec, and regular communication with members and others interested in the course. I believe that this is not new information to those of us who support the course on a regular basis. Perhaps 2010 will be the year that everyone finds time to make it happen.

Dale Hatcher
Dale H
DX Plastic

Postby Funky Bobby J » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:36 pm

I know that Dave has been talking to Matt Pate at FC P&R about course improvements, which likely will be modest this year. The county is really strapped financially and is not generally offering much in the way of help. Dave is supposed to meet with Parks & Rec early this year to talk about what we can do. We are pushing really hard for concrete pads and exploring multiple avenues (other organizations, the club coming up with part of the funds, etc). I want to do a fundraiser tourney on the 28th of Feb, but have no idea what i am raising funds for. I hope to have some info so - stay tuned.

The Club is made up of a few people who generally do not have a lot of time to run a club. We had to make a club to deal with FC P&R. There are no officially titles, officers, or creedos - but as Dale said, we get some things done. We would all like to formalize things a bit, and endeavor to do so in the coming months.
Living in the United States where the hottest European import is Plutocracy...
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby Corndawg13 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:58 pm

I totally agree with the two recent posts. Things just need structure. A lot can be done to CP with structure and effort. There are a good group of volunteers at CP and that is awesome. Last I had heard "Leadership Forsyth" was debating between funding to finish CP or a few other non-DG related projects and the did not choose CP. Dave said they are having a fundraiser event and may donate some proceeds from that. Concrete tee pads, trees/shrubs, and course beautification would be great. I agree on the notion to make 2010 the year for structure and improvements and am excited someone is planning a fundraiser tourney. Lets keep this dialogue going. I put a CP group on facebook and we have an awesome 13 members so far. "Central Park (GA) Disc Golfers" if anyone cares and/or is interested.
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Return to Central Park