What should par be for hole 4?

Par 4
25%
Par 3
75%

Total votes : 8

???? Hole 4 ????

Postby SlingShot » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:29 pm

Hole 4 is, without a doubt, a great hole at McCurry Park. Some may say it is the "Signature Hole". The elevated tee makes for some long shots and is a lot of fun. The new short pin is a solid par 3 at just over 400'. The orignal pin looks great but at 551' it is a bit long for a par 3. It is possible to get a 2 here but most players will never get one. Getting a drive within 100' of the pin is even rare for some. There is not room to squeeze 50' more for a "real" par 4 so the question is...

Should I make par 4 for the orignal pin on hole 4?

This would make it possible to get an Eagle here for some top level players. (IMO this is not a terrible thing)

GSSS 09 scores for pool 1 (Pro/Adv @ 49 players) for both rounds

Hole 4: Par 3
Birdie (2)
Par (75)
Bogey (21)
Andrew Jenkins
SlingShot
Pro Plastic

Re: ???? Hole 4 ????

Postby keith johnson » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:52 pm

SlingShot wrote:Hole 4 is, without a doubt, a great hole at McCurry Park. Some may say it is the "Signature Hole". The elevated tee makes for some long shots and is a lot of fun. The new short pin is a solid par 3 at just over 400'. The orignal pin looks great but at 551' it is a bit long for a par 3. It is possible to get a 2 here but most players will never get one. Getting a drive within 100' of the pin is even rare for some. There is not room to squeeze 50' more for a "real" par 4 so the question is...

Should I make par 4 for the orignal pin on hole 4?

This would make it possible to get an Eagle here for some top level players. (IMO this is not a terrible thing)

GSSS 09 scores for pool 1 (Pro/Adv @ 49 players) for both rounds

Birdie (2)
Par (75)
Bogey (21)

Classic tweener hole, BUT if you have it as 4 then almost no Bogeys will be hadskewing the scores the other way with 77 Eagle or birdie, and 21 par.

With the elevation it should be easier reached, but most players don't trust it enough to the OB path on ther right to give them an easier shot at 2.

I say we put it on the swing and then without extra distance the swing motion will make it a true par 4 shot. :mrgreen:

Seriously, it should technically be a 4 by part of the deisgn standards, but it also could be a 3 by other parts of the standards as the hole incorporates several designing parts.

Maybe keep the sign at Par 3 and then it covers both pin positions.
Father of Future World Champion Lorelei Johnson #13697
keith johnson

Postby SlingShot » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:55 pm

Yeah thats pretty much my thoughts too, but I keep going back and forth on this one. I think the bottom line is that it is and always will be a tweener at that location. If we want scoring spread on this hole, the short pin is best. Thanks for the advice.
Andrew Jenkins
SlingShot
Pro Plastic

Postby mrpbody33 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:56 pm

Birdie (2)
Par (75)
Bogey (21)

3.19 is not a bad average for a hole. I would say if the average was approaching a 3.5 you might think about changing it to a par 4. This noodle arm votes to keep it as par 3.
Barry "Mr. P'body" Arnson
PDGA# 28128
ADGO# 133
http://discgolfatlanta.com/
mrpbody33

Return to McCurry Park