Cut the Grass!

Henry County - Stockbridge, Ga

Moderators: dandaman, ADGO BOD

Cut the Grass!

Postby IcebergSlimD » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:44 pm

Sunday was my first round at J.P. and I must say that the grass length really took away from my experience. I should be able to see my disc in the middle of the fairway without standing right on top of it. I don't know if this is normal but I don't think I will be coming back any time soon. I do know at McCurry Park, they are out there every week cutting the grass and it is rarely above ankle level. Other than the grass and the insane amount of bugs and briars, the course was fun but I would just rather stay home and play McCurry.
IcebergSlimD
DX Plastic

Re: Cut the Grass!

Postby djester » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:09 pm

The grass doesn't get cut as much as it should. The parks people don't think it is really a big deal and they concentrate more towards the football fields which is kinda expected. I don't understand why they don't like to cut the grass, but it seems more like a hassle for them to do so..... I would think that the workers would like to make more hours by working & cutting the grass but they seem to think differently.

We are trying to get the county to let us borrow the mowers but without a direct link to the county by being employed by them, it won't happen. I have all kinds of experience of using tractors, forklifts, scissor lift, boom lifts & many more heavy equipment vehicles, but without being tied to the county they won't let us use their equipment..... sucks.

I have 3 tractors & bush-hogs attachments, but they are located in Morgan county and I don't have a vehicle that could tow just one of them to the park.... sucks again.

We spend a lot of our free time out at the park working on the course and I wish the grass was cut more often but I am happy to wade through the high grass, looking for my disc and play golf at Moseley. I didn't think that grass was really high anyways.... maybe just under knee high.

A good way to find your disc is look where you threw it..... just sayin'
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby TomahawkChopper » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:40 am

You think the Grass is high now hell thats trim compared to earlier this year.Hell right before Hotlanta the grass was at least 4'ft tall.The Grass at the Mose is only too high when you can no longer see Sam running through it :shock: :lol: .

Our course doesnt get mowed as much I think cause its really not part of the park if you really think about it.Only the 1st teepad and 18s basket can be seen from either the football or softball fields.There in nobodys using it except us and who cares about us right?All goes back to the whole not making any money off the course why waste money mowing it all the time.
The artist formerly Known As MiLeNkO.........
Joey Tokash
PDGA 35002
TomahawkChopper
Pro Plastic

Postby Jay » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:52 am

http://www.co.henry.ga.us/ParksRecreati ... oard.shtml

Parks & Recreation
Advisory Board
Notice of Public Meetings: The Henry County Recreation Board will have a meeting on the third Tuesday of each month at 9:00 a.m., in the Heritage Park Office Building located at 99 Lake Dow Road McDonough, GA 30252. The public is invited to attend.

I would suggest attending the Monthly Henry County Parks & Recs Advisory Board meetings to show support for disc golf and work with them on the board to promote and support Disc Golf.
Jay

....and on the eighth day, God created the U.S. Marines!
Jay
Star Plastic

Postby djester » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:54 pm

classic with the 9am meeting.... doesn't make sense unless they are trying to not have any public thoughts as mkost of the public would be at work, working. Maybe Dan could pull something off?
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby Jay » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:27 am

djester wrote:classic with the 9am meeting.... doesn't make sense unless they are trying to not have any public thoughts as mkost of the public would be at work, working. Maybe Dan could pull something off?

Sorry to hear this! That sure is BS! Cherokee County holds them at 7pm. Maybe you can research the start times of the other counties we have listed in the course threads and bring the start time up as well at the next meeting.
Jay

....and on the eighth day, God created the U.S. Marines!
Jay
Star Plastic

Postby dandaman » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:48 am

I am planning with having a meeting with my parks guy either tommorow or friday.

The thing about the grass is this: It was mowed a little over 4 weeks ago and the course looked great, BUT over 10 inches of rain (The great flood of 09') has fallen since then, which in turned promoted abnormal grass growth.

Or in other words don't raise the issue of the length of the grass here...Please notify the county. I don't cut the grass and I bet that anyone who reads this forum doesn't either.
Johnson! Keep an eye on that Kherplakistan situation...
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby JPZ » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:09 am

all issues should be able to be discussed here...............unfortunately they won't be solved here.

djester wrote:I have 3 tractors & bush-hogs attachments, but they are located in Morgan county and I don't have a vehicle that could tow just one of them to the park.... sucks again.

bring em all!
I will ride 1 :mrgreen:
JPZ
Champion Plastic

Postby djester » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:18 am

not sure if we could afford the diesel to ride all of the tractors from Lake Oconee to JP Moseley park... would be interesting though, we may get a few tickets for unauthorised vehicles on public highway.
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby dandaman » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:12 pm

Grass to be cut next week...Guy who does all the bushhoggin' has the flu :oops:
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby djester » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:54 pm

That swine!!!! :lol: Good news, except the flu part
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby TomahawkChopper » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:45 pm

Grass was cut today while we played our round and realized that 14 was missing but recovered.
The artist formerly Known As MiLeNkO.........
Joey Tokash
PDGA 35002
TomahawkChopper
Pro Plastic

Postby JPZ » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:08 pm

That was 15 ft wide fairways only....look for all to be mowed this week.
JPZ
Champion Plastic

Postby dandaman » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:08 pm

They got to about half the course yesterday. This weather is not improving our chances of getting the teepad on 5 and the island green done on 11 this week.
dandaman
Star Plastic

Return to J.P. Moseley Park