Visiting

Questions & Answers

Moderator: ADGO BOD

Visiting

Postby dbbarnes2 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:32 pm

I am coming down to visit and would like to to disc, if I could only do one or two courses what would be the best ones to check out?

Thanks
Daniel
dbbarnes2
Barney

Re: Visiting

Postby keith johnson » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:55 am

REEdan, and Central
Father of Future World Champion Lorelei Johnson #13697
keith johnson

Postby djester » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:06 am

JP Moseley & Perkerson !! Perkerson is a temp course only open on Wednesdays
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby O4PETESAKE » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:10 am

While so many courses here are awesome as hell, I think the two that feel the most like a real golf course are Redan and White Oak. Think of it this way...It's not a few disc golfers in a general/public area, it's a few of the general public on a Disc Golf course.
Disc
Golf, WO 30157
O4PETESAKE
Pro Plastic

Postby Splash_4 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:38 am

And the Atlanta area is quite large..... You might want to give some idea of where your staying while hear. For example, the distance between Redan and White Oak (Both fine courses) is over 30 miles.... And there are other courses that are quite nice as well (like East Roswell Park and Central Park)..
Splash_4
DX Plastic

Postby VernMan » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:31 am

If it rains you could go to the Cheetah and the aquarium. They are pretty close to each other.
Do not arouse the wrath of the great and powerful Oz. I said come back tomorrow!

Vern Williams - ADGO #120 - PDGA #27359
VernMan
Barney

Postby Dale H » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:01 pm

O4PETESAKE wrote:While so many courses here are awesome as hell, I think the two that feel the most like a real golf course are Redan and White Oak. Think of it this way...It's not a few disc golfers in a general/public area, it's a few of the general public on a Disc Golf course.

I'm confused...
Dale H
DX Plastic

Postby 12StonesScott » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:18 pm

All of the suggestions you've been given are good, and there are other worthwhile options as well. As has been mentioned, the Atlanta metro area is huge, the courses are scattered about mostly in the outer suburbs (with the exception of Perkerson) and traffic is frequently terrible. So I'd base my choice, in your position, partly on where I'd be staying and what other areas I'd be visiting.

If you're staying inside the city, East Roswell Park and Redan are probably the most accessible (the Chamblee United Methodist Church course is the closest in, but it's a short nine-hole course that most would say doesn't measure up to other area courses). Everyone who plays Perkerson (I haven't yet) raves about it, so if you can work Wednesday night into your schedule, that'd be a great choice.

If you're in the northern suburbs (Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Roswell, Alpharetta, etc.), East Roswell Park would probably be the first choice, with some arguing for Central Park in Cumming -- Wills Park in Alpharetta can be hard to navigate if you're not familiar with it, and is hard to play when the park's busy (i.e., almost always). If you're in the northeastern suburbs (say from Duluth/Suwanee over to Lawrenceville) then Alexander Park would probably be the top recommendation. On the east side, in Tucker, Decatur, Lilburn, Stone Mountain, etc., then Redan is a no-brainer. To the south of town, J.P. Moseley would probably be the choice. West of town, out toward Douglasville, White Oak (another one I haven't played personally) is becoming a favorite of a lot of people, it seems. If you're in the western parts of Cobb County, you could check out Oregon Park.
Last edited by 12StonesScott on Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Postby Jay » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:03 pm

12StonesScott wrote: the first 12 holes at Sequoyah Park in Cherokee County aren't bad at all.

...what is wrong with 13 -18 :?:
Jay

....and on the eighth day, God created the U.S. Marines!
Jay
Star Plastic

Postby Shoe » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:28 pm

It might seem odd for some but I frequently find myself playing 17 AND 18 as well as the first 16 holes when playing Sequoyah.
Ka like the wind
Shoe
DX Plastic

Postby 12StonesScott » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:08 pm

Never mind.
Last edited by 12StonesScott on Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Postby Jay » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:09 pm

There are directionals telling you which way to go. The roads are never crowded enough to be an issue, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Just love it when locals slam Sequoyah....not.
Jay

....and on the eighth day, God created the U.S. Marines!
Jay
Star Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:21 pm

dbbarnes2 wrote:I am coming down to visit and would like to to disc, if I could only do one or two courses what would be the best ones to check out?

Thanks
Daniel

There's some real nice ones in Augusta. :mrgreen:
Father of Future World Champion Lorelei Johnson #13697
keith johnson

Postby dbbarnes2 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:43 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I asked my buddy who I will be visiting and he is not sure exactly what area either. He is from out of town as well but will be there for a film he has in a film festival this weekend. I'll prob stay at some hotel but who know where. Sounds like pretty poor planning but thats the way it works sometimes. Thanks again

Daniel
dbbarnes2
Barney

Return to Q & A