How is the Area?

Delkab County - Lithonia, Ga

Moderator: ADGO BOD

How is the Area?

Postby Graiden » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:15 pm

I have not yet played at Redan, eventhough it is relatively close to where I work. The reason is because have heard that the area is bad (car break-ins). Even on DGCourseReview.com one of the reviewers claimed to have been mugged.

Is it really that bad, have things gotten any better? Do I need to worry about my car getting broken into if I go?

I'm just trying to get some info because I would like to play there in the near future.

Thanks for any info.
Joe Gaita
PDGA# 37978
Graiden
DX Plastic

Re: How is the Area?

Postby gvan » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:10 pm

I play there every so often; never had a problem.

I small number of bad experiences probably get a lot of press. Not making any guarantees, just saying that I've never had a problem.
uǝʞuɐɹʌ uɐʌ ʇıɹɹǝƃ
gvan

Postby provino » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:01 am

Just carry a gun. :D
provino
DX Plastic

Postby maximus » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:11 am

It all depends on the time of day and who is around. I've been there a few times with no problems, but have been scared a few times with some questionable people around.

I later found out they were the REE-dan regulars :P

but I would still take provino's advice, if you have that privledge!
Chris Quarles 34486

IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW FAR IT MIGHT GO PAST THE BASKET, IF IT GOES IN.
maximus

Postby alien42 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:41 am

i play Redan two or three times a week, usually on weekdays during the late afternoon to early evening and have never had a problem.
alien42
Barney

Postby kade.erp » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:48 am

maximus wrote: I've been there a few times with no problems, but have been scared a few times with some questionable people around.

IFuSCAREDgoToCHURCH
kade.erp
Pro Plastic

Postby VERMIN » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:57 am

Redan is fine. Just don't leave any valuables in plain site in your car.
Speakin' the vernacular of the peasantry. Poor little kid, I hope she gets home all right....Professor Marvel

Vern Williams - ADGO #120 - PDGA #27359
VERMIN
Star Plastic

Postby gvan » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:14 am

VERMIN wrote:Redan is fine. Just don't leave any valuables in plain site in your car.

Agreed, but that pretty much is true anywhere these days. I blame KFC.
uǝʞuɐɹʌ uɐʌ ʇıɹɹǝƃ
gvan

Postby mr.disc » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:02 pm

just ride with someone else...
"Feared by deer, Adored by women"
mr.disc
Champion Plastic

Postby djester » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:19 pm

take Marta?? :wink:
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby Redan Randy » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:56 pm

mr.disc wrote:just ride with someone else...
Maybe in the back of a painter's truck with three or quatro hombres?
Redan IS God's Country!!
Redan Randy
Star Plastic

Postby Big Red » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:18 pm

I have been broken into. The threat is very real. The area is a complete toilet. Course is good though. If you care about your car I wouldn't go but to be fair I had been playing Redan every now and then (four or five times a year) for eight years before that and didn't have a problem.
I've got more game than a busted Atari.
Big Red
Champion Plastic

Postby Bornabuckeye » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:29 pm

Yo Joe,

I know that there have been problems... but all I can give you is my personal exp. I have played redan 20+ times and have no problems at all. I think if its possible to go out early, but I have been out many a times in late afternoon. I will tell you that I do take precautions. I go in a group, only take one car (preferably one with out too many things to take out of). If youd like some company hit me up man, Im sure Rob, Drew, and I can guide you around a bit. Another good idea is to go out during doubles there are normally 20+ ppl out there.
PDGA Member # 36856
donniekreece@gmail.com
(678) 632-2397
Bornabuckeye
Champion Plastic

Postby TomahawkChopper » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:15 pm

Never had a problem with breakins.....but then again I do drive a 95 Grand Marquis not much left on the bad boy thats really worth stealing :lol: .All I can say is if your going to go up there which I do all the time,drive your least favorite car and if you only have one car and Love it,just have a friend drive you there :twisted: .

Redan is a great course and I would never let fear keep me from playing there.Theres always something wrong with a course if you truly think about it.....
Erp-Great course but Traffic there sux,if you dont pay attention youll lose every last disc you got.
Lenora-the course looks great but wheres the challenge?
Redan-Awesome course right in the middle of the ghetto?
Moseley-Has come along way no ghetto,no traffic,whole lotta challenge,but the heat will kill you and to longggggg.
Meeks-Great park to far away and for you folks who like to drink and leave the containers all over the place is a dry county.
Central-awesome course a long drive for me and a whole lot of blind throws that could really hurt somebody.
Mccurry Park-Tara suxxxxxxx Park is great challenging for sure but again like central somebodys gonna get hurt.
Those are just the courses Ive played all by the Way great courses and really have nothing bad to say about any as far as playability or set-up.
To those of you who have taken your time to provide us with so many great courses to choose from thanx from me personally.I know alot of time and personal monies were put into provided us fellow disc golfers with the oppurtunity to play whenever we want for NO CHARGE at all.So I say just play the course if you get broken into and have Insurance its covered right?to those who dont have that kind of insurance AFLAC :shock: :twisted: .
:lol:
The artist formerly Known As MiLeNkO.........
Joey Tokash
PDGA 35002
TomahawkChopper
Pro Plastic

Postby Brian Lang » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:18 pm

You could leave your car at home and take the Marta bus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NZtGz_7WI0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQTuYo6HmiQ
PDGA # 36585
ADGO # 240
Brian Lang
DX Plastic

Postby Graiden » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:10 pm

Thanks for all the info guys. Maybe I'll take Donnie up on his offer, or I have a friend that said he wouldn't mind going and driving his car because it is a POS. I'll get there one way or another.

I have been on a kick lately in that I have been wanting to try new courses. I was in NJ and PA recently and got to play a course in each state while I was there. I got to play at Campgaw Reservation in Mahwah, NJ and at Hickory Run State Park in PA.

I have so far only been to three courses in GA. J.P. Moseley, McCurry Park, and Deerlick.

Anyway, catch all you guys later, and hopefully I'll see some of you out there. :D
Joe Gaita
PDGA# 37978
Graiden
DX Plastic

Postby gunkamania » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:59 pm

it was a shame you played campgaw while it is in its short "base" layout. Also hickory run state park is just average and anyone that can throw over 350 wont like it. Next time you are in the allentown, pa area hit up jordan creek, little lehigh parkway , nockamixon state park and our newest one is skyline park at blue mountain
gunkamania
Barney

Postby Graiden » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:53 pm

gunkamania wrote:it was a shame you played campgaw while it is in its short "base" layout. Also hickory run state park is just average and anyone that can throw over 350 wont like it. Next time you are in the allentown, pa area hit up jordan creek, little lehigh parkway , nockamixon state park and our newest one is skyline park at blue mountain

Campgaw for me was very difficult to navigate. Me and the group I was in somehow managed to miss 2 or 3 holes. However, one of the final holes in which you are basically in a tee box throwing into a wooded abyss was pretty cool. I'll have to hit it up again when I am back inthe area.

Also, I thought Hickory wasn't too bad. I don't really throw far yet, but it was a descent course. I'll have to check out Jordan Creek, Little Lehigh Parkway, and Nockamixon when I am back up that way. Thanks for the suggestions :D
Joe Gaita
PDGA# 37978
Graiden
DX Plastic

Postby cloud9quest » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:23 pm

don't be a scared white boy and play the course. it is sweet, just carry yourself with confidence and leave nothing in your car. you will be fine and have a good time.
#21451 PAR GOLF FOR LIFE!
cloud9quest
DX Plastic

Postby jpolur » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:11 pm

Graiden wrote: I have been on a kick lately in that I have been wanting to try new courses. I was in NJ and PA recently and got to play a course in each state while I was there. I got to play at Campgaw Reservation in Mahwah, NJ and at Hickory Run State Park in PA.

Might I suggest:
- Warwick (Warwick NY) - SWEET. Dual tees and dual baskets - 4 layouts. Home to Steve Brinster (course designer w/ others). Bet my best driver you'd enjoy it. (BTW Discraft Flash). Also 2nd course on site - Wolfe Woods.
- Buzzy's (NJ) - Small tight but a fun course to have a few beers on.
- FDR (Yorktown NY) - Great course. half woods/half fields. Challenging, good distance (2 - 600+), concrete tees, one of my favorites. Never hear any complaints. Gate guard late May - early Sept. 6.00 fee. Worth it.
- Leonard Park (Mt. Kisco, NY) - OLD course. one of originals. 1970's. Woods, hills, tight. Baskets tend to spit back but you can just spit back at it.

In Ct. - Cranbury Park (Norwalk)- enough said. 20 minutes beyond NY Border. 1st. A-tier a few weeks ago after Vibrum. Great course.

M 2 cents.
jpolur
Barney

Return to Redan Park